Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ososlo, nobody ever asks about your training. Are you doing DCM this year..? if so how is your training going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I was very curious about this too 😆

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dub13 wrote: »
    Ososlo, nobody ever asks about your training. Are you doing DCM this year..? if so how is your training going.

Ah you're very considerate but this is all about you guys:D
    I have a log and you can read all about my training there if you're really desperate for some entertainment sometime:p
    No DCM for me this year. I was 100% sure at the beginning of the year that I'd be doing it again this year as I loved it so much last year but decided to work on speed this year instead and I feel now that I made the right choice.
    But there will be many marathons in my future as that's what I really love!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

On the mobile so can't do fancy table stuff but PB is 2.15.xx, hoping for anything under that so even say 2.13.59. Bib number 2770.

Best of luck all. Don't mind a bit of drizzle or light rain but hopefully that's the downpour done for the next 36 hours! And for those not racing this weekend good luck with the lsrs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Username|Current PB|Target Time|Bib|Actual Time
    Adrian522| 02:02:23|01:45:00|3268
    Casey78|02:04:46|01:59:59|2866
    Wubble Wubble| 01:37:07|01:37:06|
    Killian Byrne|1:53:xx| 01:49:59|1706
    hillsiderunner|01:54:45|01:49:59
    annapr|02:19:34|02:05:00|782
    Frash|02:09:41| 02:05:00
    MLC_biker|02:18:31|02:10:00|3868
    Nicsx |01:59:04|01:59:03|7467
    aquinn|1:49:53|1:45:00|134
    scheister|01:50:xx|01:45:00|
    neilthefuneone|2:01:23|01:55:00
    ChadHogan|1:46:17|01:44:59
    Dub13 (Paul Larkin)|1:46:26|01:44:59|1185
    Joleigh |2:02:54|01:59:59|
    Mimojo |2:14:00|02:06:00|
    skittles11|1:43:26|1:39:59|1797
    Jelly Legs|2:07:40|2:07:30|3008
    MKDTH|n/a|2:19.59|2812
    NyOmnishambles|2:19:42|2.10|1833
    laura_ac3|2:15:xx|2:13:59|2770

Reminder if anyone else wants to add their name or Bib Number to this...

Tracking Link for tomorrow:

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINHALF-2014

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Ah you're very considerate but this is all about you guys:D
    I have a log and you can read all about my training there if you're really desperate for some entertainment sometime:p
    No DCM for me this year. I was 100% sure at the beginning of the year that I'd be doing it again this year as I loved it so much last year but decided to work on speed this year instead and I feel now that I made the right choice.
    But there will be many marathons in my future as that's what I really love!

Sure post up the link, I love reading how others are getting on.

Sure post up the link, I love reading how others are getting on.

Here ya go! Try and ignore the non-running stuff:o
    You'd have to start at the very beginning for it all to make sense:D

Here ya go! Try and ignore the non-running stuff:o
    You'd have to start at the very beginning for it all to make sense:D

Ha ha, sorry I was not been lazy I did not realize it was on boards sure I could have found that myself.

Ha ha, sorry I was not been lazy I did not realize it was on boards sure I could have found that myself.

yeah I was thinking it was a bit lazy alright. Especially for a mod:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow, with all the training you are all putting in, all of you deserve a pb! Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Having serious doubts about my 1:50 goal for tomorrow, I really feel it's right on the edge of my abilities. Only time will tell now. See yiz all on the startline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Looking forward to tomorrow, best of luck everyone. Someone said the race has about 8,000 people signed up! So will have to speed up to be sure of a tshirt!

Night all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Having serious doubts about my 1:50 goal for tomorrow, I really feel it's right on the edge of my abilities. Only time will tell now. See yiz all on the startline.

It's a race, it's supposed to push you to the edge of your abilities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Gavlor wrote: »

+1. Go hard or go home :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Anybody caught talking in the 1:50 group after 6 miles will be sent out :pac:

Point taken! Thanks.

menoscemo wrote: »

Can I call for a medic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That's you f&cked so

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

See you all in the morning!!!! (Even though I won't know who anyone is. Except maybe casey and killian).

That's you f&cked so

Pacers excluded of course ;).
    I knew as I was writing that you would pipe in with that comment. Either I'm a mind reader or....:p

• Advertisement

Pacers excluded of course ;).
    I knew as I was writing that you would pipe in with that comment. Either I'm a mind reader or....:p

He's on a roll today with his quick wit:rolleyes:

Can I call for a medic?

If you are able to call for a medic you're not going fast enough ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck to everyone this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Good luck to everyone this morning.

Did a 20 mile LSR myself last night. Pretty sore knee this morning.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone this morning.

Did a 20 mile LSR myself last night. Pretty sore knee this morning.

Fair play with the 20!
    How did you find it? Do you think the knee is anything to worry about?

Fair play with the 20!
    How did you find it? Do you think the knee is anything to worry about?

Well, the problems I have had over the last couple of weeks were much much better - if still a little uncomfortable.

But as usual with me, an old problem just gets replaced by a new one.

I was more thirsty than usual. Ran out of water. Stopped after 15.5 miles in a chippers to buy a bottle cos I was parched. Was only stopped for 30 seconds but when I went to take off again, I got a terrible pain in the left knee. Stopped, rubbed it out a couple of times which helped. But I said I'd run the 3 miles home and call it a night. I use the word "run" loosely as these miles were 14:xx pace. But just as I got home, the pain miraculously disappeared. So I said I'd run another 1.5 miles to round it off to 20.

Was very very tired and didn't feel I could have got to 26.2 without dying (as usual). Finding the lone long runs very hard mentally but there's a fellow DCM novice friend in Kilkenny who wants to do one with me so I might take him up on that and see what difference it makes - he's much faster than me but tends to blow up after about 10 miles (talking sense to him...oh how I have tried). I still have two very long runs to go before tapering starts (20.2 next week and 21 the following week). But because of the way the last couple of weeks have gone, I've been considering doing another very long LSR of around 20 miles the week after that but not sure if that's wise. Whatcha think? I suppose I have to worry about getting that far first.

The knee doesn't feel terribly bad even though I feel it's sore. A couple of days rest will hopefully sort it. Have to wait and see. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Good luck to everyone today. Not doing this one, saving myself for the Cardiff half in a fortnight. Been training on my own, and just learned about this thread.

- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Distance|Race|Date|Time
    5K|Samsung Night run (10k)|27/4/2014|22:25
    10K|Docklands 10K|20/06/2013|46:17
    Half Marathon|Wicklow Half|23/03/2014|01:49:44
    Marathon|Cardiff|20/09/1981|03:56:
    (Yes, you read that right - I did a marathon before, 33 years ago today! I'm a born-again novice...)

- Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do):
    No.

- How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I've been running 10k a few times a week (apart from injury times) for the last 2 years or so. Running 3x a week, LSRs last w/e of 22km. 40km overall last week. Been running my LSRs too fast & getting knackered so will be slowing down henchforth. Was cycling but getting too tired & now just saving myself for running. Pace is between 5 min & 6 min a kilometre. Aim to run the first half of DCM route tomorrow morning as part of my 24km LSR.

- What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I think beating my PB of 3:56 set in 1981 when my body was 33 years younger is realistic (let's see). My dream finishing time would be, dunno, 3:45?

- How many days a week can you train? 3x no problem, could do more if I wasn't so damn tired all the time.

- Why are you running this marathon?
    Distance creep! Last year 5k & 10k races, this spring half marathon, this autumn give the big one a go.

I'm loosely planning to run with the 4 hour pace group, then if I'm feeling good, maybe try to wind up the pace for the last few miles.

Would be grateful for any advice!

^^^^^ Laois_Man

I think two more very long runs is plenty to have under your belt. How long were you on your feet for last night?
    You know you have good endurance and staying power after that run last night so that'll stand to you big time for the 27th.

I really really really want you to make the start line this year Laois_Man but it's going to be a delicate balance between getting in plenty of mileage and recovering well for you so you'll just have to play it all by ear. Another few sports massages would probably be a good idea.
    Was the lsr a very large proportion of your weekly mileage this week?

Reesy wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone today. Not doing this one, saving myself for the Cardiff half in a fortnight. Been training on my own, and just learned about this thread.

- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Distance|Race|Date|Time
    5K|Samsung Night run (10k)|27/4/2014|22:25
    10K|Docklands 10K|20/06/2013|46:17
    Half Marathon|Wicklow Half|23/03/2014|01:49:44
    Marathon|Cardiff|20/09/1981|03:56:
    (Yes, you read that right - I did a marathon before, 33 years ago today! I'm a born-again novice...)

- Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do):
    No.

- How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I've been running 10k a few times a week (apart from injury times) for the last 2 years or so. Running 3x a week, LSRs last w/e of 22km. 40km overall last week. Been running my LSRs too fast & getting knackered so will be slowing down henchforth. Was cycling but getting too tired & now just saving myself for running. Pace is between 5 min & 6 min a kilometre. Aim to run the first half of DCM route tomorrow morning as part of my 24km LSR.

- What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I think beating my PB of 3:56 set in 1981 when my body was 33 years younger is realistic (let's see). My dream finishing time would be, dunno, 3:45?

- How many days a week can you train? 3x no problem, could do more if I wasn't so damn tired all the time.

- Why are you running this marathon?
    Distance creep! Last year 5k & 10k races, this spring half marathon, this autumn give the big one a go.

I'm loosely planning to run with the 4 hour pace group, then if I'm feeling good, maybe try to wind up the pace for the last few miles.

Would be grateful for any advice!
    Hi there Reesy! You're very welcome to the thread!

Are you following a plan? Does that plan only have 3 days of running a week? Even the beginner novice plans would have at least 4 days of running per week so it seems very low.
    You might be very tired all the time if you're currently running everything too hard.
    Your weekly mileage and lsr seems quite low too at this stage in the year with only 5 weeks to DCM. Would 40km last week be your biggest week so far and is 24km you longest long run?
    Here's a link to the Hal plan which a lot of novices here are following. How do you think your current training would compare to the current week in that plan? This plan would be considered the very least a novice should be capable of doing each week to run a marathon.
    Good luck with the lsr tomorrow!

• Advertisement

^^^^^ Laois_Man

I think two more very long runs is plenty to have under your belt. How long were you on your feet for last night?
    You know you have good endurance and staying power after that run last night so that'll stand to you big time for the 27th.

I really really really want you to make the start line this year Laois_Man but it's going to be a delicate balance between getting in plenty of mileage and recovering well for you so you'll just have to play it all by ear. Another few sports massages would probably be a good idea.
    Was the lsr a very large proportion of your weekly mileage this week?

Well last night was very slow given the injury problems and the fact that there was a 3 mile spell that took me about 45 minutes because of the knee. So it was just under 4 hours 5 mins altogether. :eek:

LSRs have been a larger % of my weekly total than they should be. This week I spent the first part of the week trying to kick the injury. So last night was only my 3rd run of the week with a 4 miler and a 6 miler being the other ones. Hoping to do a few miles tomorrow and bring the weekly mileage up to about 35. Have to see about that - but that would still over 50% of my week just on the LSR. My last 2 LSRs 2 and 3 weeks ago (Didn't do any last week cps of the injury) were even worse than that proportion wise.

Advertisement