Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

adrian522 wrote: »
    Username|Current PB|Target Time|Bib|Actual Time
    Adrian522| 02:02:23|01:45:00|3268
    Casey78|02:04:46|01:59:59|2866
    Wubble Wubble| 01:37:07|01:37:06|
    Killian Byrne|1:53:xx| 01:49:59|1706
    hillsiderunner|01:54:45|01:49:59
    annapr|02:19:34|02:05:00|782
    Frash|02:09:41| 02:05:00
    MLC_biker|02:18:31|02:10:00|3868
    Nicsx |01:59:04|01:59:03|7467
    aquinn|1:49:53|1:45:00|134
    scheister|01:50:xx|01:45:00|
    neilthefuneone|2:01:23|01:55:00
    ChadHogan|1:46:17|01:44:59
    Dub13 (Paul Larkin)|1:46:26|01:44:59|1185
    Joleigh |2:02:54|01:59:59|
    Mimojo |2:14:00|02:06:00|
    skittles11|1:43:26|1:39:59|1797
    Jelly Legs|2:07:40|2:07:30|3008
    MKDTH|n/a|2:19.59|2812
    NyOmnishambles|2:19:42|2.10|1833
    laura_ac3|2:15:xx|2:13:59|2770
    Reminder if anyone else wants to add their name or Bib Number to this...

Tracking Link for tomorrow:

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINHALF-2014

some brilliant results coming in guys! Target times being smashed all over the shop:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ososlo wrote: »
    some brilliant results coming in guys! Target times being smashed all over the shop:D

Came home I. 1.42.51 Surprisingly strong finish up the hill at the end. Overtook a lot of people there.

Happy with that.

Great organization as usual, perfect weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Well done to everyone who did the half today!

I did a 32km (20 mile) LSR this morning and bumped into hardly any other runners - they must have all been at the half :)

Longest run ever for me, I took it pretty slowly and managed a consistent 7min/km (11.2min/mile) throughout. I was tired at the end but that's the first long run where I felt I could have gone on if I had to.

I know the LSR is supposed to be run slower than the planned marathon pace but I've been trying different paces for the last few long runs and I think today's pace is what I will start out at on the day. If I feel ok later on I can always speed up (feeling optimistic today!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great day out in the park! Perfect running weather. Finished in 2:01:39 and felt good all the way. Resisted the urge to try to keep up with the 2 hr pacers and it was the right call (thanks Ososlo for the sage advice!). Had my own personal pacer who is aiming for 3:40 in Berlin next week and kept saying things like, 'this is more fun than I thought it would be', to groans from all around. Sitting in traffic now heading for infirmary road!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Came home I. 1.42.51 Surprisingly strong finish up the hill at the end. Overtook a lot of people there.

Happy with that.

Great organization as usual, perfect weather.

Saw your result. over the moon for you! Well deserved. All that hard work is worth it!!!
    All the plants aligning nicely adrian:)

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Great day out in the park! Perfect running weather. Finished in 2:01:39 and felt good all the way. Resisted the urge to try to keep up with the 2 hr pacers and it was the right call (thanks Ososlo for the sage advice!). Had my own personal pacer who is aiming for 3:40 in Berlin next week and kept saying things like, 'this is more fun than I thought it would be', to groans from all around. Sitting in traffic now heading for infirmary road!

Super super result annapr. If you felt good all the way then I almost feel bad for not suggesting you follow the 2 hour pacers! Sounds like it might have been within reach!
    I saw your placing within your category and you should be extremely proud of that result:D Your placing of 87th is higher than that of anyone else I've been following. You've a very bright future of running ahead of you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Saw your result. over the moon for you! Well deserved. All that hard work is worth it!!!
    All the plants aligning nicely adrian:)

Thanks. Was good today, some negative thoughts about DNF early on but the niggles were kept at bay thankfully.

I was expecting to have to suffer a bit more in the last few miles but I guess all these miles do have and effect.

Nearly 20 mins faster than 2013.

Super super result annapr. If you felt good all the way then I almost feel bad for not suggesting you follow the 2 hour pacers! Sounds like it might have been within reach!
    I saw your placing within your category and you should be extremely proud of that result:D Your placing of 87th is higher than that of anyone else I've been following. You've a very bright future of running ahead of you!

LMAO, given my category is pretty ancient not so sure of the 'bright future'!! Also official category position was 103! But still, delighted with that!

Next year 2hrs! I didn't have it in me today.

annapr wrote: »
    LMAO, given my category is pretty ancient not so sure of the 'bright future'!! Also official category position was 103! But still, delighted with that!

Next year 2hrs! I didn't have it in me today.

now now none of that 'ancient' talk. Nonsense! Look at the improvements you've made in a year! You'll take another 15/20 mins off that next year;) I'd put money on it! Hubby best watch out:D

now now none of that 'ancient' talk. Nonsense! Look at the improvements you've made in a year! You'll take another 15/20 mins off that next year;) I'd put money on it! Hubby best watch out:D

Haha, he's safe for a while. He's a lot more patient as a pacer than he is driving home through Phibsboro traffic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

1:42:47 for me will put up a full post later but messed up my pacing so had to run a fast 2nd split to try and make sure I came inside 1;45. If is paced properly I wud have broken 1:40 but u learn learn and a PB is still a PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well done to all in the park today, lovely conditions, I started & finished my 19 mile LSR in the park so saw lots of people on their last leg. I feel fresher this week than last & also first time I thought I could go on a bit more. Feet up everyone tonight & relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Happy with today. 2.13.14 for me. Tucking into some scrambled eggs now - will throw up some more detail of a report later.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Happy with today. 2.13.14 for me. Tucking into some scrambled eggs now - will throw up some more detail of a report later.

I saw that Laura. Brilliant:D:D:D Congrats on the pb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I saw that Laura. Brilliant:D:D:D Congrats on the pb!

You saw me eating my scrambled egg??? You're taking this role very seriously! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Quick post without reading any reports.

Am exhausted. Found that tough.

To my 1.50 pacers sorry I couldn't hold on but I didn't let you down. 1.49.39 so new PB by a very slim margin. You were brilliant and thanks for the support and encouragement.

I finally cried when I got home. Foot cramped the cycle home, ouch.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    You saw me eating my scrambled egg??? You're taking this role very seriously! :):)

Big brother is watching laura;):eek:

I see a few of you were really really close to your targets but missed them. A slightly better pacing strategy and you might have done it today so don't lose heart. It'll happen next time.

Anyone who was a good bit off the target, try not to be too down about it. Don't spend all your time worrying about it, just consider where you might have gone wrong. It could just have been 'one of those days', perhaps you went off too hard and paid for it later in the race or maybe you just need to readjust the target a bit for the next one but you'll have learned loads about racing and pacing and everything that goes with it so it's an invaluable experience that'll stand to you for the big day.

Don't forget, DCM is the main thing and today is a mere stepping stone. There are still 5 weeks to go so there are fitness and endurance gains still to be made.

I'd advise everyone to do a detailed race report from today and either stick it up here or just keep it to yourself. Write down what you could have done better and what you got right from how you prepared in the days before the race to your recovery after the race. Details such as exactly what breakfast you had, exactly what race gear you wore, shorts, socks etc etc you get the picture. It'll be really useful to look back on in preparation for the big one.

aquinn wrote: »
    Quick post without reading any reports.

Am exhausted. Found that tough.

To my 1.50 pacers sorry I couldn't hold on but I didn't let you down. 1.49.39 so new PB by a very slim margin. You were brilliant and thanks for the support and encouragement.

I finally cried when I got home. Foot cramped the cycle home, ouch.

Well done. You certainly didn't let them down! Great to get the pb!
    Mind that foot now and take things very easy for the next 5 days or so.
    Congrats:D

On the train 2 Cork now for a stag night, this will not end well.

Just looking at my splits on strava, my last mile was the second fastest in 7:44. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

One quote from Jack Daniels (The running coach not the drink) that I'm reminded of is, "It's better to finish a race with the feeling that you could have gone faster rather than wishing you'd gone slower at the start"

Well done to everyone who raced today, I guess we'll have a better understanding of the marathon distance having gotten through today.

I'm rambling now so I'll stop. Race report to follow, probably tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Well that was ****e. Felt really decent for first 2miles then my legs just started slowing down, hip flexors sore and pace dropped dramatically. Started with the 1:50 pacers, got caught by the 2hr group just after we went back into the park at about 11miles. Stuck with them for about half a mile and dropped off pace again.

I seriously considered dropping back to the 2:00 pacers before the start, that may have salvaged things.

Finished with a chip time of 2:06:55. My head wasn't in it at all, today just wasn't my day.

Congratulations to everyone else for running, PB's and finishing. Good to meet you at the start aquinn and congrats for sticking at it and on the PB.

If anyone finds some running 'mojo' please send it my way.

also, what was with the traffic? 2hrs to Rathfarnham just made a crap day even worse.

Sorry to hear about your day. Bad days happen from time to time, just need to write it off to experience and go again. Plenty to take from today. I'm sure there will be much better days ahead and they will be all the more worthwhile having suffered through today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

1:43:54 for myself which is a PB by about 3 min, the target was sub 1:45 so happy with that. I felt comfortable for the lot of it, I kept a good bit in the tank for the last mile or so up the hill as in the 10 mile I lost 30/40 seconds here. Today I only slowed down by about 8 seconds looking at my splits, I then had my second fastest KM (4:44). I am a little disappointed that maybe I kept to much in the tank and could have shaved more time off that but that's nit picking.

I always said before I do a full Marathon I wanted my half time under 1:45, I left it late the last race before the main one. Looks like the training is paying off.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/594677898

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

@Laois_Man - trust me when I say that if you have done a 20 miler and toughed it out despite pain you WILL finish on the day, but you absolutely must focus on getting to the start line healthy. Get to the physio this week and pretty much do as you're told. Take any injury precautions you are told to take, wrap yourself in the metaphorical cotton wool if you need to! I was in a smilar situation 4 years ago for Dublin, I got injured (inflamed right hip bursa) in my longest long run of 18 miles, spent most of late September and early October in the pool and on the exercise bike and elliptical, managed 9 miles the week before the race, had a world of pain on the day but managed to finish.

Consider just maintaining now distance wise - you ran 30 miles this week, consider possibly redistributing that though the week, 13 - 7 - 5 - 5 or similar might be a slightly healthier spread of mileage for you at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

17 mile lsr done @ MP or below
    I was debating racing a 10km this weekend but felt I would get better use out of a run like this. MP target is around 7.30min/mile. I am still trying to develop the discipline to go at the right pace. My plan was to do an easy mile warm up and take it from there.
    The first couple of miles were too fast at 7min but I gradually got the pace down. Didn't take any gels and I was feeling it in the last couple of miles. The route has some big climbs so is good prep for any hills in DCM. I noted today that I had upto a min/mile difference between running the slower hillier sections and the faster sections. Average pace per mile was around 7.20min/mile. I will throw up some splits later. I was hoping to jog an extra 3 miles home but walked instead as I was empty after the 17 miles.
    Getting closer now and I think a lot of the hard work has been done, maybe another lsr of 22 miles or so and then taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Sorry to hear that Killian. You still finished with a good time.

Adrian enjoy the stags (dont forget to drink water at some stage!).

I had a full race report typed and lost it, so here goes again...

Chip time 1.59.17 (bib 4947). Delighted to beat last years time of 2.02. Started off a good bit behind the 2hr pacers but I kept them in sight. Took me a while to get into a comfortable pace. At 4m I took a gel, and after 6 miles the time seemed to go pretty quick. Caught up with the pacers on conygham road (or whatever way you spell it). I was worried about the hills once we got back into the park because I lost time on them badly last year. I felt strong and got ahead of the pacers going up the hill. The first man of the 2hour pacers gave great encouragement towards the end (I wasnt close enough to hear him at the start). I jogged about 1.5 miles before the start then brisk walked most of the way home so clocked up 17.63 miles on my feet today. Makes me feel less bad about missing the 20lsr on my plan today.

Came home and had a cold bath, hot shower, scrambled egg then the boost bar out of my goodie bag and it was delish! Well done to all who took part, thanks to the organisers and most especially, the 2 hour pacers. You guys rock!

yep, that 2hr pacer on the hill after Conningham Rd was great, (I think he had a beard) full of chat and encouragement. He even made me pick up the pace for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Well that was ****e. Felt really decent for first 2miles then my legs just started slowing down, hip flexors sore and pace dropped dramatically. Started with the 1:50 pacers, got caught by the 2hr group just after we went back into the park at about 11miles. Stuck with them for about half a mile and dropped off pace again.

I seriously considered dropping back to the 2:00 pacers before the start, that may have salvaged things.

Finished with a chip time of 2:06:55. My head wasn't in it at all, today just wasn't my day.

Congratulations to everyone else for running, PB's and finishing. Good to meet you at the start aquinn and congrats for sticking at it and on the PB.

If anyone finds some running 'mojo' please send it my way.

Hard luck Killian. Were you feeling any way under the weather this week? Put it down and forget it about. You will have good and bad days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

2:01:53 for me. Even though I'm disappointed not to break 2hrs it's still a new PB.
    Was going great up to mile 10 and was still on for about a 1:54 finish. Just after 11miles I felt a twinge in my leg that I've never felt before and slowed down a bit to see would it go.
    It didn't so I stopped and stretched a bit which seemed to work.
    At this stage after stopping I knew sub 2hr had gone so rather than do more damage I jogged the last few miles.
    So while I'm disappointed not to get sub 2 I feel I done the right thing at the end by taking care of my leg the last few miles.

Also got a bit of a thrill when I saw one of the flyers in the goodie bag was of me and my son with Sean Hehir!

Advertisement