Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Tough day at the office today, the last few weeks of inactivity really showed

There was a lot of congestion at the start and after the first couple of K I knew I wouldn't be able t set a time so I decided to settle in and plod around at what could be a steady PM pace
    I got stitch after 3K, lasted until around 6K
    Had many a thought of slowing to a walk but plodded on
    Again the section outside the park was a huge struggle for some reason, found it really really tough and slowed to a walk for about 60 seconds before plodding along again
    Bizarrely things piked up when we entered the park again the hills kicked in, I kept going (I was starting to feel like the terminator at this stage) lots of people who had overtaken me earlier slowed to a walk
    Ploughed up the hills, picking up speed and starting to feel strong my last K the same speed as my first after a few slow K

Positives and Negatives to the day

My marathon time is going to be a lot slower than I hoped and also a lot tougher

But despite struggling a lot today i didn't give up and I will need that mentality in a few weeks

There are a few more weeks of training yet and if i work hard over the next while I will be grand

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/594660374

Well done to everyone today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

1:58:14 for me and I'm thrilled with it!

I went out with the 2hr pacers & wasn't sure if I'd be able to hang on in the early parts of the race but I stuck with them & began to feel a bit stronger around mile 9 so I went slightly ahead but could still hear them talking. As we went along Conyngham Rd my pace picked up a wee bit. My fastest mile was mile 13 back in the Park!! And I even managed to speed up a bit for the home straight!!

I went into this today seriously doubting whether or not I could match my PB from last April but I could feel the strength in my legs on the last 3 miles. (Having said that I was very glad to see the line!) I guess the slow running works.....Sorry for doubting your wisdom :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

So I'm not one of the people who smashed their target - but I did slide under it ... official time 1:49:31 :-). At long last! Was a triumph of pacing rather than brilliant fitness I think. I probably was very close to aquinn during this race going by his time (I started at the same stage as the 1:50 pacers even though I set out at a slower pace than them).

I did 19.76miles in total today having taking Ososlo's advice about adding w/u and c/d miles.

Race report.

w/u: Took the bus into O'connell street and started off down the quays. Took a while to get the Garmin to find the satellite, but eventually I succeeded, and ran 2.58 slow miles (average pace 10:14) all the way into the park until I got near the bag drop.

DCMH: Set myself up to the side of the 1:50 pacers, though I had already made the decision not to head out at their pace - I knew sub 1:50 was at the stretch of my possibilities, so I was taking a cautious start. It was easy to keep a slower pace for the first few miles because there was quite a bit of crowding. So first two miles at 8:40 and 8:36. People started to spread out a bit after that, so I did the miles 3 and 4 at 8:18 and 8:24. I could see the yellow blobs of the pacers for these early miles but they were in the distance - they had already gained a good bit of ground on me. Plan was to do the next 5 miles (miles 5-9) at around 8:20, and I managed that ... the first one of these was difficult (I even got offered water just before the 5mile point by a guy in grey gear). But after that I was able to pick up the pace and miles 5-9 were mostly around 8:18-8:20 with two of them (miles 6 and 8) at 8:06... I could see that I was closing some distance to the pacers (they'd disappeared from view for a while at around 5miles) which gave me hope.

I was running various scenarios for the remainder of the race in my head - one of them was a vision of myself overtaking the 1:50 pacers on the downhill mile 10; another fantasy was instead overtaking them on the drag of the 13th mile ;-). Ha! In the end I never caught them, and the closest I came was about 10 metres behind them on the run-in to to the finish line. But they were helpful all the way from mile 6 because I was able to plan my run around "reeling them in". Also really helpful was a girl with blonde hair in a lime-green Race Series T-shirt who was running very comfortably just ahead of me from mile 5 or so - she seemed very steady, and I was using her as a local pacer for a good few miles.

Anyway, miles 9 onwards ... I made up a bit more ground on miles 9 and 10 (one of these was sub 8:00) and as we turned onto Conynham Road I was only 100 metres behind the pacers. At this stage I even passed the girl in the lime-green T-shirt, which was a big surprise. So was feeling positive. Mile 11 went according to plan, but I dropped a bit of pace on mile 12 (think it was around 8:23) ... anyway off I went for the 13th mile and I am ashamed to say I walked for 4 steps at around 12:25miles ... my low point. Only 4 steps and on I went, hoping that the pacers had planned for a slowdown on this mile... and it seems as though they had. The 13th mile was 8:38 which wasn't so bad given how I felt. I was passed by the girl in the lime-green T-shirt at around 12.8 miles, no surprise there!

Anyway I picked up the pace for the run-in and arrived at the finish about 10metres behind the Official pacers and 2metres behind the lime-green T-shirt. The female 1:50 pacer had turned around in front of the finish and was cheering her followers in. I ran over and stopped the watch reading 1:49:30 :-)

It will have been slightly negative splits overall, and I think my main success was in pacing it carefully :-). I was at my stretch I think (for current fitness anyway, I still have plans for improvements in the future!)

I took water at most (all) of the water stations and drank it while running. No gels, but took two jelly beans from someone at 6miles... I successfully aimed my water bottle at the skip after the 3rd water station ... and there was a cheer from some watchers at the side. I was assuming it was for me landing the bottle, but maybe Killian was in the vicinity?

c/d: After the race, I spent about 45 mins getting my bag, trying to meet-up with a friend (unsuccessfully) and walking some of the park looking for a bin to drop my banana skins (unsuccessfully). Then I ran the 4.08miles back to base at a quite consistent average pace of 9:44....

So done. Sorry I didn't get any of the pacer-experience (especially since I would have not been capable of any talking ;-)) but very happy to have the sub-1:50 at last.

Planning 7 easy miles tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well that was ****e. Felt really decent for first 2miles then my legs just started slowing down, hip flexors sore and pace dropped dramatically. Started with the 1:50 pacers, got caught by the 2hr group just after we went back into the park at about 11miles. Stuck with them for about half a mile and dropped off pace again.

I seriously considered dropping back to the 2:00 pacers before the start, that may have salvaged things.

Finished with a chip time of 2:06:55. My head wasn't in it at all, today just wasn't my day.

Congratulations to everyone else for running, PB's and finishing. Good to meet you at the start aquinn and congrats for sticking at it and on the PB.

If anyone finds some running 'mojo' please send it my way.

Sorry Killian:( You know you're well capable of much better so put it down to experience.
    how's training been going in general?

@Laois_Man - trust me when I say that if you have done a 20 miler and toughed it out despite pain you WILL finish on the day, but you absolutely must focus on getting to the start line healthy. Get to the physio this week and pretty much do as you're told. Take any injury precautions you are told to take, wrap yourself in the metaphorical cotton wool if you need to! I was in a smilar situation 4 years ago for Dublin, I got injured (inflamed right hip bursa) in my longest long run of 18 miles, spent most of late September and early October in the pool and on the exercise bike and elliptical, managed 9 miles the week before the race, had a world of pain on the day but managed to finish.

Consider just maintaining now distance wise - you ran 30 miles this week, consider possibly redistributing that though the week, 13 - 7 - 5 - 5 or similar might be a slightly healthier spread of mileage for you at the moment.
    yep the lady speaks sense!

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »
    2:01:53 for me. Even though I'm disappointed not to break 2hrs it's still a new PB.
    Was going great up to mile 11 and was still on for about a 1:58 finish. Just after 11miles I felt a twinge in my leg that I've never felt before and slowed down a bit to see would it go.
    It didn't so I stopped and stretched a bit which seemed to work.
    At this stage after stopping I knew sub 2hr had gone so rather than do more damage I jogged the last few miles.
    So while I'm disappointed not to get sub 2 I feel I done the right thing at the end by taking care of my leg the last few miles.

Also got a bit of a thrill when I saw one of the flyers in the goodie bag was of me and my son with Sean Hehir!
    Well done on the pb. Definitely did the right thing easing up. Eyes on the prize and all that. Hope the twinge turns out to be nothing. Lots of foam rolling for the next few days and keep everything very easy for the next 5 days or so.
    Sub 2 there with no hassle for the next one!

Tough day at the office today, the last few weeks of inactivity really showed

But despite struggling a lot today i didn't give up and I will need that mentality in a few weeks

That's the attitude that will get you through the marathon! Well done today:)

Nicsx wrote: »
    1:58:14 for me and I'm thrilled with it!

I went out with the 2hr pacers & wasn't sure if I'd be able to hang on in the early parts of the race but I stuck with them & began to feel a bit stronger around mile 9 so I went slightly ahead but could still hear them talking. As we went along Conyngham Rd my pace picked up a wee bit. My fastest mile was mile 13 back in the Park!! And I even managed to speed up a bit for the home straight!!

I went into this today seriously doubting whether or not I could match my PB from last April but I could feel the strength in my legs on the last 3 miles. (Having said that I was very glad to see the line!) I guess the slow running works.....Sorry for doubting your wisdom :-)

That strength you felt in the legs is due to all those slow miles you've been building up over the months. Great to finish so strongly and today will give you loads of confidence for the 27th. Well done, super time:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done on the pb. Definitely did the right thing easing up. Eyes on the prize and all that. Hope the twinge turns out to be nothing. Lots of foam rolling for the next few days and keep everything very easy for the next 5 days or so.
    Sub 2 there with no hassle for the next one!

Thanks.
    One thing today has taught me also is sub 4hr for full Marathon is an unrealistic pipe dream.
    Even though I was going grand to mile 11 I was still starting to feel it a bit and certainly wouldn't have done another 13.1 miles at that pace.
    I'm thinking 4:10 or 4:20 may be more realistic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    One thing today has taught me also is sub 4hr for full Marathon is an unrealistic pipe dream.
    Even though I was going grand to mile 11 I was still starting to feel it a bit and certainly wouldn't have done another 13.1 miles at that pace.
    I'm thinking 4:10 or 4:20 may be more realistic.

Yes I'd be thinking similar. I don't think you should worry about it for the moment though. Give yourself a few days break from it all (mentally and physically) and we'll start up a discussion on choosing target times maybe next week.
    For the moment you should concentrate on recovering well and easing back into the miles over the next week very gradually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Made a complete mess of my pacing today. Worked out on the bus in that a 1hr 40 half was roughly 8.39mile pace ( appears this may be for 1.50 and not 1.40). So was happily going along for the 1st half thinking i was banking a little time and would be well within my hope of a 1.40 upped from a 1.45 target as i was feeling well today.
    At the 6.5mile mark i heard a voice behind me and turned around to see the 1.40 pacers behind which made no sense at all. so i sped up a small bit and re did the maths is my head and suddenly it dawned on me that the 8.39 pace did not add up so i sped up try and get away from the 1.40 pacers and keep the sub 1.40 dream alive. about 2 miles down the road they were behind me again. So i was totally confused. So i looked at my watch and decided to try and run the remaining mile under 7.30. But further the race went i realised the sub 1.40 dream was gone so concentrated on going sub 1.45 and learn my lesson for next time.

As for the actual race i found it very enjoyable race and liked the idea of kyber pass and that hill being at the start rather then near the. For me the 2nd water stop came very sudden i knew there was one at 3 mile and 7 mile odd did not realise there was one in the middle. I did not mind the run along the road between 9.5 and 11 miles but few around me as we were running found it a very long stretch. From looking at facebook the talk that the 2nd half been harder but i found it the other way.
    Pace time
    As you can see not the best example of how to do pacing :P

But even at this time i'm looking good for my sub 4 come marathon day

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Came in in 1.38.46, delighted with it as my goal was 1.39.59. Loads of positives and a couple of negitives to take from today.

It's my first race where I managed to control myself for the first 3 miles and not go off like a scalded cat! It meant I lost some ground on the 1.40 pacers but was back on them by the 5 mile mark.

Stuck with them til the 9 mile mark then, feeling quite strong, pushed off the front a bit and put some distance between us. Looking back I might have been better off sticking with them for another mile or so as they were almost on me again as we reentered the park for the climb to the finish. Fortunately for me hill running my LSR's paid off and I had enough in me to push hard for the last mile and a half then the adrenalin took over for my final charge to the finish.

Around mile 11 I felt a quite familiar pain in my foot (feels like laces are too tight on the top of foot), which last time I felt turned out to be a stress fracture. I didn't let it slow me down today but it's a definite concern. I'm not really one for recovery runs but I might try a very slow 10km tomorrow and see how it feels. Here's to hoping my laces were too tight!

Also my (cheap) GPS watch failed me today and even though it said it acquired a satellite it never gave me my speed or distance. Frustrating but at least it wasn't the DCM. I'll have to burrow a proper one on the big day.

So big thanks to the 1.40 pacers today, the marshals and spectators for their support and the organisers for yet another flawless event. And well done to all runners, it was a brilliant day.

My GPS watch tells me I did the half in 2:00:44 and a total overall distance of 13.2 miles...
    So either the watch is way off or the course was long?
    I suppose I didn't run in a dead straight line but I'm counting it as a even better PB...:o(ONLY JOKING)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

My GPS watch tells me I did the half in 2:00:44 and a total overall distance of 13.2 miles...
    So either the watch is way off or the course was long?
    I suppose I didn't run in a dead straight line but I'm counting it as a even better PB...:o(ONLY JOKING)

Standard enough GPS result there. They aren't 100% accurate and add in you won't have ran the exact racing line and you generally will get a 13.2 for a half.

scheister wrote: »
    Pace time
    As you can see not the best example of how to do pacing :P

But even at this time i'm looking good for my sub 4 come marathon day

Well I've never seen a negative split quite like that before:D
    Lots of lessons to be learned today for you!!!!
    Congrats on your race!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sorry Killian:( You know you're well capable of much better so put it down to experience.
    how's training been going in general?

Thanks. My training has been ok, nothing spectacular. I have been continually battling small niggles like sore glutes, small back pain and hip issues, these have lead me to push things probably harder than I should in order to 'stay on plan'.

At the moment, I just don't think I am capable of the speed that I want to run at. Easy runs are fine, pace/speedwork or tempo runs, while I might just make it on target, leave me drained and perhaps there is accumulated fatigue setting in.

Having reviewed todays race, discussed it with my long suffering wife, and thought about what I want to achieve, I'm going to reassess my goals and look at a 4:30 DCM. I want to make sure I enjoy this marathon, my first outing wasn't fun and I don't want to go through that again.

Anyway, enough of that. I'm feeling instantly better after eating the boost bar and whole bag of jellies as part of my post run refuelling strategy.

Standard enough GPS result there. They aren't 100% accurate and add in you won't have ran the exact racing line and you generally will get a 13.2 for a half.

Ahh sure I know.I was only joking.............sort of :D

Just had a massive Maccy D's...gonna have a few pints tonight then get serious about this fecking Marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

1.41.48 for me today, almost a 5 minute pb and 3 minutes below my target and I owe a good part of it to not charging my Garmin properly!

Charged it on Thursday night and didn't even look at it leaving the house today. When I went to turn it on, I thought it had crashed. I asked a very helpful chap at the amphibian king stand if he knew how to reset it. He tried and it still didn't work so he stuck it on charge in his van. It was dead as a dodo. A quick 15 minute charge brought it back to life but it was never going to last the full race, but at least I now had a clock and some kind of guide as to pace. I didn't try connect to the gps at all.

I crossed the start line at 10:06:45 and was working from there. I know I came through 5 miles about 30 seconds ahead of target, but after that the arithmetic found me out. I ran by feel for the most part and felt strong up to mile 12 and I knew I was on target but didn't realise I was 3 minutes up. I think if I had the pace information in the preceding miles I'd have pulled back. So I think it was a blessing in disguise.

I'm not ready to give up on the Garmin altogether but may leave it at home for the odd race in future!

We'll done to everyone who ran today, and keep the faith even if today wasn't your day

Thanks. My training has been ok, nothing spectacular. I have been continually battling small niggles like sore glutes, small back pain and hip issues, these have lead me to push things probably harder than I should in order to 'stay on plan'.

At the moment, I just don't think I am capable of the speed that I want to run at. Easy runs are fine, pace/speedwork or tempo runs, while I might just make it on target, leave me drained and perhaps there is accumulated fatigue setting in.

Having reviewed todays race, discussed it with my long suffering wife, and thought about what I want to achieve, I'm going to reassess my goals and look at a 4:30 DCM. I want to make sure I enjoy this marathon, my first outing wasn't fun and I don't want to go through that again.

Anyway, enough of that. I'm feeling instantly better after eating the boost bar and whole bag of jellies as part of my post run refuelling strategy.

Keep the head up. I felt the same as you after the Frank Duffy 10mile which I totally blew up on.

I've come back stronger from it though and even though I didn't get my target today I am much happier with how I paced and ran the race.
    Only for feeling a small niggle and deciding it wasn't worth it to race to the finish I feel I would have been under 2hrs(my target)
    I am also re thinking my Marathon time and I think to finish it is now more important to me than sub 4hr which I know If I start at that pace I may get to 17 or 18miles but I won't do the 26.2.
    Keep the head up there are better days ahead for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

Had a good race today. My previous pb was 1.59.35 and ran a 1.45.43 today so I'm quite happy with that. This was an absolute disaster for me last year, pulled up at 4 miles with a torn calf muscle that forced me out off DCM 2013. A year later I feel stronger for it, I have incorporated more core strength into my training which I neglected last year. I have stuck rigidly to my plan doing and it's paying off. Looking forward to the big one.

Ahh sure I know.I was only joking.............sort of :D

Just had a massive Maccy D's...gonna have a few pints tonight then get serious about this fecking Marathon!!

Have given up the beer myself until the pub after DCM. Am a few lbs off my original goal target weight for the day and I reckon dropping the beer will be the best way to ensure it. :)

Am similar to yourself in time goals. Originally was contemplating a crack at sub 4 but will be leaving that for next time. Have pulled back to 4:10 for the moment (was going to be 4:15 but would like to use one of the pace groups) so might see you on the day !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Username|Current PB|Target Time|Bib|Actual Time
    Adrian522|2:02:23|1:45:00|3268||
    Casey78|2:04:46|1:59:59|2866||
    Wubble Wubble |1:37:07|1:37:06||1:59:11

Shocker. Report in the main HM thread if anyone's interested :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@ skittles re tieing your laces. I have the same issue. I always leave my laces a little loose. Remember your feet will expand when running as they heat up.

@Killian It might be a good idea to do some core work. I had niggles when I started running, which is to be expected. However I always do core work at least twice a week now. I normally do it on one of my easy days, e.g. 8 easy miles. I run for 7 miles, then stretch and then do some planks, push ups, chin ups, knee ups (that is the only name I can think of) and leg raises to strengthen the stomach area. I find I get very little niggles now and the core work breaks up the routine of just running. I then jog home the last mile as a cool down. Exercise machines in parks are very handy for these. Other people do pilates and yoga but that is an extra time and money commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jelly Legs

Hi all, not a bad day out for me today - came in at 2:06:02 which is a PB by over a minute and a half which I'm very pleased about. Plenty of lessons to learn from the day - firstly I own Bodyglide for a reason. Was in a bit of a rush getting ready so skipped that step and have a nasty cut from my heart rate monitor now. My pacing was very inconsistent as well - miles ten and eleven were 10 seconds quicker than my target (just from lack of focus rather than trying to push things) and I paid for that on Glen Road which was the most horrible mile of my life. Still, it's all a learning experience and I'd rather make those mistakes now than next month :) Congrats to everyone who ran and, in particular, to those that had a bad day out - just move on, bad days just sometimes happen. This is not our main goal, just a stepping stone along the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

@ skittles re tieing your laces. I have the same issue. I always leave my laces a little loose. Remember your feet will expand when running as they heat up.

Thanks, I wouldn't normally spend any time tiring my laces, just throw on the runners and go but the pre race nerves had me checking everything and I may well have over tightened them. I'm sure I'll know better tomorrow.

Shocker. Report in the main HM thread if anyone's interested :o

A shocker it truly isn't. Anyone would get frustrated with an injury like that flaring up. Serious kudos to you for deciding to finish it after that stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sob! I didn't get any chocolate bar this time and was looking forward to it. For once the tshirt fits though and much better than all the rest.
    Still have to have a proper read as to how everyone got on today. Killian I'm sorry to hear you'd an awful race. I hope you are ok.
    Some fantastic times, well done to all.
    After today I'm very concerned about adding another 13.1. I know I turned up stressed and tired and can't believe how great the 10 mile was and then finding today so tough. Wanting to quit far too much.
    Again for my pacers xx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aquinn wrote: »
    Quick post without reading any reports.

Am exhausted. Found that tough.

To my 1.50 pacers sorry I couldn't hold on but I didn't let you down. 1.49.39 so new PB by a very slim margin. You were brilliant and thanks for the support and encouragement.

I finally cried when I got home. Foot cramped the cycle home, ouch.

Ah, I think I have worked out who you are now, is that Aoife?
    If so well done, you were getting it very tough near the end but you dug really deep and showed great grit and determination. That's half the battle in this game!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

On The phone here reading the reports.
    Well done all.

I finished in 2:02:41 so beating my target of 2:05:00 and knocking 7 mins of my PB from the Clontarf Half.

Soles of my feet very sore now.
    Might need new runners.

Advertisement