Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Mrs Vico has a pair and she has mixed feelings about them .
    Yes they do provide good support but she says the elastic waist band caused a lot of chafing during her long runs. She decided not to wear them on D Day ...

Thanks a million, that's definitely a no then so will look at the Nike line as recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    Thanks a million, that's definitely a no then so will look at the Nike line as recommended.

+1 for nike shorts, mine are about 3/4 thigh length, agree some of those running shorts are very short! the nike ones also give good glute support :D and a nice big back pocket. I've been wearing these on all my long runs so no surprises on D day, my only problem is the club singlet which is super for hot days but I won't be running fast enough to sweat if its less than 10 degrees - going to purchase arm sleeves this week and get wearing them asap and hopefully they will do the job if its considerably cooler which it most likely will be. If its raining on the morning of the marathon though I'm staying in bed.......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    On the topic of what you're wearing on marathon day, I'm surprised you all haven't decided yet on exactly what shorts and whether to wear tights or shorts.
    There aren't that many long runs left and you'll really need to practice the exact outfit you'll be wearing on a few of the long runs. Get that one sorted very soon! Please!!!!
    Of course it's a personal choice but I'd go for shorts rather than tights. It can get very warm running for hours and hours.

Also while on the subject of clothes, now is a good time to put aside some old clothes to wear over your marathon outfit while waiting around on the morning of the marathon so you can stay warm. You might be hanging around for an hour or so. You want an old loose top and pants that you're prepared to throw away when the race starts. Also a bin bag if wet.

I have my shorts sorted - very short shorts, look out for me and whistle twoot twooo. But I hope to be wearing a very special singlet on the day and I am waiting for it to be printed but someone is pissing me off! :mad: I can't decide whether or not to wear a long sleeve undergarment underneath it and I want to test it out - I wish it was a bit colder at the moment so that it would reflect likely temperatures on Oct 27th - would help! I need to test it both ways but can't when it's so warm still, even if I had my singlet.

I guess I could start with the undergarment and do a very quick strip tease during the marathon and throw it away if it's not suiting - don't wanna do that though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

On the topic of what you're wearing on marathon day, I'm surprised you all haven't decided yet on exactly what shorts and whether to wear tights or shorts.

I always wear Nike 3/4 tights & think I will stick to them, very comfie & decent pocket @ the back. I find running shorts are very short, so think it is safer for all concerned if I stick to the tights!!

I generally run in just a tech tshirt (from recent races), find them nice, comfie and roomy. I do 95% of my runs in the morning about 6/6.30am and the weather has been so nice this summer that a tshirt has always been fine. This is the first week that I have stuck on base layer under a tshirt. I am thinking a base layer is a bad idea for the actual day & I can image I will be pretty hot after a few hours, but hard to judge as the temps could have fallen a lot by then. I have ordered a new tech tshirt yesterday so hoping I will have it tomorrow so can try it out on lsr on Sat.

Good advice having clothes to wear before hand that can be thrown away, I assume there will be at least an hour of hanging around, hopefully it wont be raining but shur if it is it is! Of late I have done so little running in wet conditions either, which is a great complaint, but could prob do with a long run or two in the rain to get me a bit more prepared!!

There really is so much to think about when running a marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Oh I wouldn't wear an undergarment (even though that sounds like frilly knickers). You will be cold waiting around but will warm up after a couple of miles. I wore a zippy fleece over my top that I didn't mind throwing away, but in the end I didn't need to as my family were in the phoenix park so I threw it to them. Anytime I see someone running a race in long sleeves or long bottoms I get hot just looking at them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

Hi there...Well it looks like that flu finally caught up with me and have had to take a sick day from work...but work is the least of my problems! What about my running!!! I was scheduled for a 6 miler last night but was feeling crap so I said I'd skip it and make up for it next week...but it looks like I'll have to skip tonights 6 mile too as I don't see myself going out of the house today never mind out for a run! How detrimental is it at this stage in the game to lose out in 1/2 mid week runs? I'm the OCD-type that likes to stick strictly to a schedule but I think if I go out today or even tomorrow things could get worse health wise. My 18 mile LSR is scheduled for saturday and I soooo don't want to feck things up for that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

locombia wrote: »
    Hi there...Well it looks like that flu finally caught up with me and have had to take a sick day from work...but work is the least of my problems! What about my running!!! I was scheduled for a 6 miler last night but was feeling crap so I said I'd skip it and make up for it next week...but it looks like I'll have to skip tonights 6 mile too as I don't see myself going out of the house today never mind out for a run! How detrimental is it at this stage in the game to lose out in 1/2 mid week runs? I'm the OCD-type that likes to stick strictly to a schedule but I think if I go out today or even tomorrow things could get worse health wise. My 18 mile LSR is scheduled for saturday and I soooo don't want to feck things up for that!!
    It's not detrimental at all to miss a few shorter runs. What may be detrimental however is running when you're sick.
    I know it's frustrating but you'll be fine. Get completely better first and only do lsr if feeling good at weekend.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh new shorts :-). Got the Nike 8" as recommended, they are heavier than what I currently wear but dri-fit so think shorter and heavier will be better than longer and lighter. Turns out I have the tempo shorts but these get shorter so didn't want to use these on race day.
    Nearly bought race sleeves and may go back for them as think I'll be in a t-shirt rather than singlet so they'd be good if the weather changes. Have people used them?
    Also I was advised to get a personalised t-shirt. T-shirt still to be decided. Under armour excellent quality but not a good fit. It has to be flattering! :-)
    Where does one personalise a t-shirt that won't scratch or annoy?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh new shorts :-). Got the Nike 8" as recommended, they are heavier than what I currently wear but dri-fit so think shorter and heavier will be better than longer and lighter. Turns out I have the tempo shorts but these get shorter so didn't want to use these on race day.
    Nearly bought race sleeves and may go back for them as think I'll be in a t-shirt rather than singlet so they'd be good if the weather changes. Have people used them?
    Also I was advised to get a personalised t-shirt. T-shirt still to be decided. Under armour excellent quality but not a good fit. It has to be flattering! :-)
    Last year our bibs had our first name on them. Almost sure it's the same this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Joleigh wrote: »
    even though that sounds like frilly knickers

:D:D:D:D:D

I'll happily wear them too if they make me faster :D

• Advertisement

Last year our bibs had our first name on them. Almost sure it's the same this year.

Oh really? Great, I didn't know that.
    Just need the t-shirt so.
    Thanks.

Oh really? Great, I didn't know that.
    Just need the t-shirt so.
    Thanks.

Yes that's another reason why you feel like a running superstar on the day as everyone's shouting out your name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

T-Shirt printing shop in StStephens Green Centre will print on one you bring in (if they're still there). I got a friend in SNAP Printing to do one for me. READS (Sandyford, Nassau St, Dun Laoghaire) will also print on your shirt. Try Camden Clothing on Camden St (funnily enough) not sure if they will do one off on your own shirt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

A mate was saying the name on the bib is tiny though so getting on the t-shirt helps even more?

T-Shirt printing shop in StStephens Green Centre will print on one you bring in (if they're still there). I got a friend in SNAP Printing to do one for me. READS (Sandyford, Nassau St, Dun Laoghaire) will also print on your shirt. Try Camden Clothing on Camden St (funnily enough) not sure if they will do one off on your own shirt though.

I found having my name on my shirt brilliant, would recommend it without hesitation.
    Didn't think you'd need it!!!

As it'll most likely be on your number you won't need to do this unless you want it on your back also.

I think you'll be happy with those aquinn, they're very comfy. I just bought a pair of nike race sleeves, €15 in elvery's, friend I run with wears them all the time, think they will do the job on the day - agree re names on bibs, as a supporter last year we cheered on anyone who's bib we could see while waiting for our own runner to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Didn't think you'd need it!!!

As it'll most likely be on your number you won't need to do this unless you want it on your back also.

it was a small pain at times because I just wanted to hide when I was walking! but I found having my name on my shirt brilliant, would recommend it without hesitation.

Having cheered last year, if your name is small like Jack, John, Mary, Laura or Jo then your fine, if you're called Michelle, Christine, Matthew, Jonathan or similar long names I found that runners were wondering why I was squinting at their belly as they ran past. but that could just be my poor eyesight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

it was a small pain at times because I just wanted to hide when I was walking! but I found having my name on my shirt brilliant, would recommend it without hesitation.

Having cheered last year, if your name is small like Jack, John, Mary, Laura or Jo then your fine, if you're called Michelle, Christine, Matthew, Jonathan or similar long names I found that runners were wondering why I was squinting at their belly as they ran past. but that could just be my poor eyesight!

*runs to see if he put Chris or Christopher on the entry*..

have just taken the plunge and signed up *gulp* here come the nerves!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D

I'll happily wear them too if they make me faster :D

That'd be a first.

"Man runs sub 4 hour marathon in frilly knickers"

What pace are you running? Think I'll run behind you LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Corrib man

Think I read somewhere that names wont be printed on this years bibs but that a space would be left for you to write your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Corrib man wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere that names wont be printed on this years bibs but that a space would be left for you to write your name.

That would be deadly.

Pacing Mule will be on mine if that's the case :D

Corrib man wrote: »

Yeah just heard from Race Office that numbers are only being assigned as you go to pick them up so they won't have names but 'there will be a facility at the expo to have them printed on them'.
    That's all I know for now. Awaiting further details about if you have to pay for this facility.

Ooooh I'm gonna get there first and be number 1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

There aren't that many long runs left and you'll really need to practice the exact outfit you'll be wearing on a few of the long runs. Get that one sorted very soon! Please!!!!
    Of course it's a personal choice but I'd go for shorts rather than tights. It can get very warm running for hours and hours.

Also while on the subject of clothes, now is a good time to put aside some old clothes to wear over your marathon outfit while waiting around on the morning of the marathon so you can stay warm. You might be hanging around for an hour or so. You want an old loose top and pants that you're prepared to throw away when the race starts. Also a bin bag if wet.

my 2 DCM's I paid a trip to pennys and bought a €3 long sleeved top, and a cheap hat and gloves for another €2-€3.

I cut the long top up the middle so it was like a cardigan - so my number could be seen and it as easier to get off.
    I ran in this and the hat/gloves for a mile or so and then discarded them as I warmed up.(discard near water stations :) )

Regarding tights - If you typically dont wear tights, I think shorts would be better, as you get tired and irritable, everything gets on your nerves :) - tights will be enemy at mile 16 when you are sweating.

If you feel it'll be too cold - maybe long socks might work - you can always pull them down if it gets too warm.

Wearing a black bag for the startline is a good idea - dont feel that you will be like a gob$h!te as there will be 000's more wearing bags or foil wraps.
    Carry a bottle of water to the startline - you'll be nervous and your mouth will water. Just taking a few sips will help and not bring on the toilet rush.

Speaking of toilets :) - you'll go about 15 times that morning!!

Make sure that you dont wear anything new (socks/runners/top/shorts) as they will chaff and cause discomfort.
    Breaking in runners is important - try not to use runners with less than 100 miles in them - it takes a while to get used to a new pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

my 2 DCM's I paid a trip to pennys and bought a €3 long sleeved top, and a cheap hat and gloves for another €2-€3.

I cut the long top up the middle so it was like a cardigan - so my number could be seen and it as easier to get off.
    I ran in this and the hat/gloves for a mile or so and then discarded them as I warmed up.(discard near water stations :) )

Regarding tights - If you typically dont wear tights, I think shorts would be better, as you get tired and irritable, everything gets on your nerves :) - tights will be enemy at mile 16 when you are sweating.

If you feel it'll be too cold - maybe long socks might work - you can always pull them down if it gets too warm.

Wearing a black bag for the startline is a good idea - dont feel that you will be like a gob$h!te as there will be 000's more wearing bags or foil wraps.
    Carry a bottle of water to the startline - you'll be nervous and your mouth will water. Just taking a few sips will help and not bring on the toilet rush.

Speaking of toilets :) - you'll go about 15 times that morning!!

Make sure that you dont wear anything new (socks/runners/top/shorts) as they will chaff and cause discomfort.
    Breaking in runners is important - try not to use runners with less than 100 miles in them - it takes a while to get used to a new pair.

these are all really great tips, thanks for sharing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Recently bought a pair of Saucony Ride 7's, hoping to use them on the day. They seem good so far, should have 80-100 miles in them by the day of the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Can I ask, how heavy is congestion at the beginning? I am planning on setting out at a slow pace anyway (6min km), but curious to know, is it completely clogged... like walking pace stuff?

Pm1e wrote: »
    these are all really great tips, thanks for sharing.

Start at the first post and work your way through. Get back to us when you've read everything :D you should be finished by 27 Oct :D
    welcome to the thread!

• Advertisement

Pm1e wrote: »
    Can I ask, how heavy is congestion at the beginning? I am planning on setting out at a slow pace anyway (6min km), but curious to know, is it completely clogged... like walking pace stuff?

In my experience it started out crowded but moving (running). There was a bottleneck just after the start at a corner just before we went under a bridge and everyone came to a standstill for a few seconds then got going again. that could have been just the year I did it. If you plan on starting out slow anyway then you wont have a problem. Most people around you will be the same if you're in the right wave!

Advertisement