Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi Guys,
    Decided to join the thread as it is my first marathon to do. Did the Clontarf HM earlier in the year in 1:49 nearly killed me...did the Dublin HM in the Park last week in just under 2 hours (planned) and was able to walk to my car and pick up a few conkers off the ground on the way, so I think that counts as progress :-). I was originally thinking of trying for sub 4 hours.....now thinking 'forget that, don't blow up and aim for 4:15-4-30 and enjoy your first Marathon'

Aiming to do a 27KM run tomorrow at a 6 minute per KM pace and then 2 more LSR's of 30-32 within the next 2 weeks. Does that sound similar to what everyone else is doing? I am following a plan in the Irish Runner mag, 8-10KM runs during the week and a LSR at the weekend.

Wot u guys think????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Decided to join the thread as it is my first marathon to do. Did the Clontarf HM earlier in the year in 1:49 nearly killed me...did the Dublin HM in the Park last week in just under 2 hours (planned) and was able to walk to my car and pick up a few conkers off the ground on the way, so I think that counts as progress :-). I was originally thinking of trying for sub 4 hours.....now thinking 'forget that, don't blow up and aim for 4:15-4-30 and enjoy your first Marathon'

Aiming to do a 27KM run tomorrow at a 6 minute per KM pace and then 2 more LSR's of 30-32 within the next 2 weeks. Does that sound similar to what everyone else is doing? I am following a plan in the Irish Runner mag, 8-10KM runs during the week and a LSR at the weekend.

Wot u guys think????

Im doing the exact same on Saturday Smashiner, 25km run at 6min kms.
    Unfortunately have to mix some swimming into it too as doing Killary Fjord on October 11th which means no run tonight but feel like the 25 will be ok. Got the 21 done last week and all felt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Pm1e wrote: »
    Im doing the exact same on Saturday Smashiner, 25km run at 6min kms.
    Unfortunately have to mix some swimming into it too as doing Killary Fjord on October 11th which means no run tonight but feel like the 25 will be ok. Got the 21 done last week and all felt good.

Hi Pm1e,
    Best of luck with the swim and the 25Km run, u will be super fit with this cross training by the end of all this and doing the Ironman 70.3 next year ;);).

I have locked up my bike for now as I found that cycling and long distance running was screwing up my knee :rolleyes::rolleyes: DCM all the way !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Talking about the start and what to wear.

On the website it says "This sticker must be fixed to the front of the kit bag, which you will be given as you leave the Registration Area." and on the map there is a baggage area.

So how long before the start should you drop your gears in the baggage area (your warm clothes) and make your way to the start if you want to be in the top third of a wave?

I am trying to figure out how long I'll be waiting 'naked'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

echancrure wrote: »

On the website it says "This sticker must be fixed to the front of the kit bag, which you will be given as you leave the Registration Area." and on the map there is a baggage area.

So how long before the start should you drop your gears in the baggage area (your warm clothes) and make your way to the start if you want to be in the top third of a wave?

You could be hanging around for quite a while once you drop your bag. That's why you need warm clothes you can throw away so find some old stuff that you're willing to part with. You just strip and toss them aside 5 mins before the race starts and they donate them to charities.
    I didn't drop a bag so don't know how that system works but I'm guessing that whatever happens you'll be hanging around in the cold for 30 mins at least.

• Advertisement

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Wot u guys think????

Welcome to the thread!!
    You'd probably be capable of 4 hours if your training has gone well and you've done plenty of lsrs and decent weekly mileage. If the extra 15,20 mins don't matter that much to you then you could play it safe and go with say the 4:20 pacers and be fairly certain of having a really good experience for your first.
    Times really matter an awful lot to some people and to others they're not that important so it's really a personal choice for you. You've another month to think about it so plenty of time to come to a decision.
    The Boards Plan has 20, 18 and 14 lsrs and the Hal Plan that some are following has 14, 20 and 12 for the next few weeks so I'll leave the maths to you;)
    You'll always get quicker responses from me if you talk to me in miles!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

I am also a big fan of miles. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Casey78 wrote: »
    YNWA!

What's your target pace?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's your target pace?

4:10 why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Joleigh wrote: »
    Oh I wouldn't wear an undergarment (even though that sounds like frilly knickers). You will be cold waiting around but will warm up after a couple of miles. I wore a zippy fleece over my top that I didn't mind throwing away, but in the end I didn't need to as my family were in the phoenix park so I threw it to them. Anytime I see someone running a race in long sleeves or long bottoms I get hot just looking at them!

Me too, I think I needed more than a tshirt maybe once all winter, even for short runs. Having been a marathon spectator the last couple of years, most people run in tshirts and shorts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In fairness, last year was an exceptionally mild (but wet) winter! I think the last time I needed long tights was April 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Dub13 wrote: »
    I nearly always wear shorts and tight cycling type tights, I feel it works best for me.

Are you also a Liverpool fan..? I run Irishkop.com so that keeps e very busy, it can be hard to fit in all the games. I am off to the Derby on Sat, the week after DCM I am off to Madrid for the game there. Perfect timing.

I hope to work on speed next year as this year has been all about the mileage, possibly to much.

Sure am! Subtle clue in my user name;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's your target pace?

Evertonian sense of humour ...I'm guessing;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Mind that you don't slip up ;)

echancrure wrote: »

If you have another half or support, its always handy if they are there at the start with you, my mrs. is the best. Always has her back pack, hot flask etc. Just an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just thinking about booking an appointment for a physio massage before the DCM....how many days should you leave between the marathon and the massage? Was thinking of booking for the previous Thursday as my schedule is pretty hectic up to that point...is that long enough to recover?

Pm1e wrote: »
    If you have another half or support, its always handy if they are there at the start with you, my mrs. is the best. Always has her back pack, hot flask etc. Just an idea

Your oh won't be allowed in to the pen though and you'll need to be in there to use loos etc
    best to just wear some old clobber you can throw away

crisco10 wrote: »
    Just thinking about booking an appointment for a physio massage before the DCM....how many days should you leave between the marathon and the massage? Was thinking of booking for the previous Thursday as my schedule is pretty hectic up to that point...is that long enough to recover?

Have you had one before and how did you recover from it? If you haven't already had one maybe schedule one this week or next to see how you feel after it.
    Personally I leave about a week before a race

Ososlo wrote: »
    Your oh won't be allowed in to the pen though and you'll need to be in there to use loos etc
    best to just wear some old clobber you can throw away

Ah ok, for HM I stood outside with her till last minute and then hopped in, same for tri events but must be different for DCM, few jumping jacks will keep me warm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have you had one before and how did you recover from it? If you haven't already had one maybe schedule one this week or next to see how you feel after it.
    Personally I leave about a week before a race

Yeah, have had plenty before, I generally feel grand the day after. But was just curious if there was a rule of thumb or anything!

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    Yeah, have had plenty before, I generally feel grand the day after. But was just curious if there was a rule of thumb or anything!

From what I've read, If it's deep tissue then I'd say 5/6 days before marathon would be fine if you're used to them. If a light relaxing one then a few days before would be fine imo.

Re names on numbers, I've heard from the race office that you can get your name printed on your number at the expo for no extra cost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have to go with the username in that case.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have to go with the username in that case.

Actually that's a really good idea as it'd be great in the pub afterwards to be able to recognise boardsies. If you have a weird username however it might be a tad embarrassing on the course with people shouting out your weird name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I have a 20.2 mile LSR tonight which I'll hopefully be about finishing in 12 hours from now. 541tting it. I have to be UN-stubborn enough to pull out of it at any point if I am feeling a lot of pain.

Just thought I'd write that here as a way of keeping myself in check and holding myself accountable ;) So, no sympathy for me if I ignore my own advise and I do myself a lot of harm.

I've pretty much decided now to use mixed berry ViperBoost gels, non-caffeine. Although I think I'll take one caffeine gel for my 3rd gel at about 2.5 hours on the day. Or maybe for my second

I haven't found anything I like to drink apart from water. I feel I'm missing out on some benefit if I don't find something. Lucozade Sport is piss, and last week I tried these Powerbar soluble tablets in my water and they were just as bad.

Any recommendations, or am I worrying about nothing and missing nothing?

I've heard of people drinking flat coke. Good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I have a 20.2 mile LSR tonight which I'll hopefully be about finishing in 12 hours from now. 541tting it. I have to be UN-stubborn enough to pull out of it at any point if I am feeling a lot of pain.

Best of luck with 20.2! enjoy. Lovely day.

Flat coke I wouldn't recommend, it wouldn't re-hydrate you?

Just thought I'd write that here as a way of keeping myself in check and holding myself accountable ;) So, no sympathy for me if I ignore my own advise and I do myself a lot of harm.

I've pretty much decided now to use mixed berry ViperBoost gels, non-caffeine. Although I think I'll take one caffeine gel for my 3rd gel at about 2.5 hours on the day. Or maybe for my second

I haven't found anything I like to drink apart from water. I feel I'm missing out on some benefit if I don't find something. Lucozade Sport is piss, and last week I tried these Powerbar soluble tablets in my water and they were just as bad.

I'd recommend nuun tablets in your water bottle. A lot of people take high5 but I never used them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

aquinn wrote: »
    Best of luck with 20.2! enjoy. Lovely day.

Flat coke I wouldn't recommend, it wouldn't re-hydrate you?

It's pure sugar and caffeine which gives a bit of a lift, but doesn't really help with electrolytes etc. It's generally offered at the aid stations during an Ironman marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I would think you might be worrying about nothing, as long as you find something that works for you that's what matters. I only drink water as I don't like the lucozade when I'm running. Then I have my gels and few sweets to keep me going from that side of it. Not sure if that makes you feel better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'd recommend nuun tablets in your water bottle. A lot of people take high5 but I never used them myself.

I've looked for those. Couldn't find.
    Are they tasteless?
    Please tell me you wouldn't even know they're in your water!

Do you take anything else as regards liquids?

Advertisement