Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I like them in my water bottle on the bike. They do have a slight taste, but not particularly strong, and definitely not as vom-inducing as some sports drinks. Try bike shops for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I've looked for those. Couldn't find.
    Are they tasteless?
    Please tell me you wouldn't even know they're in your water!

Do you take anything else as regards liquids?
    I got them online or from AK. Lots of different flavours but none of them harsh. Very pleasant but that's a personal thing.
    Not available in a lot of sports shops but ring around. I haven seen the high5 zero tabs though.
    My drink of choice after months of practice was half water, half Lucozade sport and a nuun tablet mixture. 4 bottles of that got me around happily but might not suit everyone.
    I can't suggest anything else as I have no experience of it sorry. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

These are very similar to Nuun, my OH got a pile of freebies of them when his bike was delivered and I may have stole them on him! The citrus one has a very bland taste which may suit. Cheap enough too for the packet - £4.19 a packet, I paid £5.99 for a packet of Nuun in Cycle Surgery just before the London Triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Saw the zero ones in elverys. I have viper boost gels for my 20 miler on sun and an energy choc bar as I was starving on my 18 miler. Is it sad that I'm already looking forward to eating my bar? Still have no way co carry gels.

Any ladies in need of a new sports bra, debenhams have 25% off shock absorber at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have to go with the username in that case.

I can just see their face when i rock up..

"ehhh what"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You should have thought of that when you were picking a username!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

adrian522 wrote: »
    You should have thought of that when you were picking a username!

Hindsight is a great thing, I have to now endure consistent comments of "I am booked in for a treatment with ecoli" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ecoli wrote: »
    Hindsight is a great thing, I have to now endure consistent comments of "I am booked in for a treatment with ecoli" :P

My log just got a sentence saying Ecoli battered my legs :)

If I put pacing mule on my DCM number the person running behind me better wear a horse head for the laugh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

6 mile tempo tonight, nice run good weather. Resting up for a long run in the morning before hitting croke park for the all Ireland final replay.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Adding myself to this. I'm just stalking Ososlo tbh

I run in km's. Same same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Early flight to Berlin this morning to support Murph in the Berlin Marathon on Sunday. Went to the expo this afternoon which was in a disused airport that seems bigger than dublin airport! hall after hall of running consumerism gone mad, of course I indulged in a bottle belt.

Not to be outdone by all the marathoners around here, I did 8K this evening along the river Spree, a bit tired but lovely place to run. Trying to figure out how to do 14mile LSR tomorrow without gettin hopelessly lost!

Definitely feeling tired this week after the HM, 9 miles on Weds morning, legs felt like jelly, skipped the Tues 5 miles and only catching up with Thursday today, i know I'm sounding and feeling jetlagged!

but it's a great buzz here, 40,000 marathon runners arriving in the city, amazing crowds and should be a great event on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

annapr wrote: »
    Early flight to Berlin this morning to support Murph in the Berlin Marathon on Sunday. Went to the expo this afternoon which was in a disused airport that seems bigger than dublin airport! hall after hall of running consumerism gone mad, of course I indulged in a bottle belt.

Not to be outdone by all the marathoners around here, I did 8K this evening along the river Spree, a bit tired but lovely place to run. Trying to figure out how to do 14mile LSR tomorrow without gettin hopelessly lost!

Definitely feeling tired this week after the HM, 9 miles on Weds morning, legs felt like jelly, skipped the Tues 5 miles and only catching up with Thursday today, i know I'm sounding and feeling jetlagged!

but it's a great buzz here, 40,000 marathon runners arriving in the city, amazing crowds and should be a great event on Sunday.

Make sure to try to catch the inline skating Marathon tomorrow, it's a fantastic spectacle!!

annapr wrote: »

Nice to run somewhere completely different. I'd be the same about getting lost though... 7 one way, turn around and 7 back! You can't go too far wrong! Keep it simple! Have a great weekend. And Murph_D too of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

adrian522 wrote:
    6 mile tempo tonight, nice run good weather. Resting up for a long run in the morning before hitting croke park for the all Ireland final replay.

Eh. Tonight was a rest night for 20 LSR tomorrow. 6 miles tempo! Yesterday was a rest day too btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Woowho 20 miles done today, & I'm still alive...barely though :) so happy to have it done. Struggled for the last 3, got very warm from 12 on but stuck it out & glad I did. don't think all the walking at the ploughing yesterday helped!

Was my first time to take 3 gels on a run, settled on the hi5 citrus isogels which are ok to take without water & didn't upset the tummy, so that was good. Was thinking of getting another pocket stitched in to my shorts, felt like I was carrying a load on my ass with the 3 gels squashed into the back pocket, bouncing away, way to distracting.
    On trying out new gear, bought a new 'no bounce' bra that didn't live upto its rep & also made my poor boobies bleed, so won't be wearing that on the day.
    in the bed now, wrecked but planning next weeks 18 miler!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

21m LSR done today. Felt absolutely brilliant as we ran through the Park, the sun was out, no wind etc, etc, etc. I took a 2nd gel for the 1st time today at mile 16 & felt ok & then we turned down towards Crumlin & the wind picked up to greet us. We had thought we might try the last 3m at PMP but it was tough going. In the end, the pace crept up without me noticing & our last mile was actually the fastest of the day (even slightly under PMP) but that could have been the magnetic pull of home! Is it possible that the remnants of the half on Saturday is still in my legs?

Anyway, one not quite ice but cold water bath later I was ready for a quick trip to town with my mum- now that takes endurance! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

denis160 wrote: »
    Woowho 20 miles done today, & I'm still alive...barely though :) so happy to have it done. Struggled for the last 3, got very warm from 12 on but stuck it out & glad I did. don't think all the walking at the ploughing yesterday helped!

Was my first time to take 3 gels on a run, settled on the hi5 citrus isogels which are ok to take without water & didn't upset the tummy, so that was good. Was thinking of getting another pocket stitched in to my shorts, felt like I was carrying a load on my ass with the 3 gels squashed into the back pocket, bouncing away, way to distracting.
    On trying out new gear, bought a new 'no bounce' bra that didn't live upto its rep & also made my poor boobies bleed, so won't be wearing that on the day.

A lot of front and rear bouncing going on there, ouch! Sounds like a good run, well done, and you too nixsc. Can't wait to get mine done on sun! Annapr enjoy Berlin. Being a supporter will have you all psyched up for oct.

Nicsx wrote: »
    21m LSR done today. Felt absolutely brilliant as we ran through the Park, the sun was out, no wind etc, etc, etc. I took a 2nd gel for the 1st time today at mile 16 & felt ok & then we turned down towards Crumlin & the wind picked up to greet us. We had thought we might try the last 3m at PMP but it was tough going. In the end, the pace crept up without me noticing & our last mile was actually the fastest of the day (even slightly under PMP) but that could have been the magnetic pull of home! Is it possible that the remnants of the half on Saturday is still in my legs?

Anyway, one not quite ice but cold water bath later I was ready for a quick trip to town with my mum- now that takes endurance! :-)

Nice one! Not easy to get through that. Takes an awful lot of endurance and determination. Well done on the running too:D
    Seriously though brilliant to have that under the belt and fantastic to finish so strongly. Yes your legs could still be a bit fatigued from Saturday if you were racing hard.
    Be nice to yourself now for a few days to recover well from that with only some very gentle miles for a few days. You're flying it!

denis160 wrote: »

Better that this happens today than in a month! At least you have a few longer runs to sort out the issues. Just goes to show that one should NEVER try/wear something new on race day!!!!
    Well done on the run. Great confidence booster. Hope you get the few issues sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Had to rejig the plan this week as I couldn't fit a long run in this weekend.

8.5 miles @10min/mile pace on Monday. Lovely evening for a run and although the calves were a bit tight after the 20 miles last Saturday, they loosened up after a while and I really enjoyed this run.

Club training on Tuesday, 6 x 3 minute intervals. 6 miles in total with my extra running added in.

Did my LSR on Thursday evening. I usually do this first thing in the morning so I was a bit apprehensive. Also, with it getting dark that little bit earlier, I didn't want to go too far afield so looped locally. Well, I never knew it would be so hard to make up 18 miles like this! I passed my house four times (on different loops) and on the last one I had less than 2 miles to go and the temptation to just stop then was so hard. But I kept going and got the 18 miles in. Tired at the end as usual but strangely enough, the legs were ok until I stopped and started to walk. Then my calves were so sore I could hardly walk! It's made me rethink my strategy for the marathon. I was thinking that if I got too tired I would walk for a few minutes. Now I'm thinking I will just keep plodding along.

Good luck to everyone doing their LSR today, looks like a lovely morning for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Well, went out last night with the aim of completing a 20.2 Mile LSR.
    Didn't do 20.2 :(
    But I did 21. :D

It was a lot easier than the 20 miles last weekend. Faster too.....not by much mind you. I am an embarrassingly slow runner these days (you'd barely even call it running half the time). I think there’s a few reasons why I felt better than last week. I didn’t have to hobble 3 miles with a painful knee, and I consciously pre-hydrated a lot better than I did last week....I fecked that up last week big-time. And apart from the occasional dart of pain, I didn't feel much pain from the injury that's been bothering me for the last 3 weeks or so. On my physio’s recommendation, I bought a knee stabilizer for the left knee on Thursday and that seemed to help me loads. I think I might even go back and buy another one for the other knee.

The hardest part of the run was not the last couple of miles, but actually the FIRST 2 miles where I had to stop 3 times. I had what felt like a big build-up of lactic acid in my lower legs. But not around the calves....around the shins. Weird. I thought I'd have to give up but it was grand after 2-3 miles. After those 3 stops, I felt like I was cheating a bit coz it was no longer gonna be 20.2 non-stop miles of 'running', which is why I increased the target to 21 miles - to compensate a bit.

As regards fluids and gels, I diluted the PowerBar Electrolyte tablets much more heavily than I did last week and it tasted OK. They're probably the exact same thing as the Nuun tablets. So at least psychologically, I don't feel like I am missing out on anything now. Gels; I feel like my body has actually figured out now how to process them efficiently. They seem to be helping me much more now. Viper Active Mixed Berry gels rock. Only thing is, between gels, plain water and the diluted electrolyte drink, I feel like I am carrying an awful lot of stuff at the start of a long run.

I bought a protein bar yesterday to eat after my run last night, it looked delicious in the wrapper. But....jeeez.....rank! :mad:

It'll be the last very long LSR next weekend. Gonna do 21.2 miles. I think I'd like to do it as a morning run next weekend instead of in my usual timeslot of Friday night – just to see how I get on with it after the breakfast I'll eat on the 27th.

Legs are very tired this morning and I had a terrible night’s sleep. But happy. Gonna rest now 'til Monday apart from a bit of stretching, foam rolling and some cross-training.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Good stuff Laois_Man, great running!!
    I did a 16.8 miler (27km) yesterday and tried out a few gels and lucozade which seemed to help me, plus a few jelly babies hhhmmmm jelly babies......
    My knee is a bit stiff this morning, probably to be expected, only two more lsr left to the DCM........all getting a bit real now!

Great thread guys, keep the tips and advice flowing ........:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Good stuff Laois_Man, great running!!
    I did a 16.8 miler (27km) yesterday and tried out a few gels and lucozade which seemed to help me, plus a few jelly babies hhhmmmm jelly babies......
    My knee is a bit stiff this morning, probably to be expected, only two more lsr left to the DCM........all getting a bit real now!

Great thread guys, keep the tips and advice flowing ........:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It was a lot easier than the 20 miles last weekend. Faster too.....not by much mind you. I am an embarrassingly slow runner these days (you'd barely even call it running half the time). I think there’s a few reasons why I felt better than last week. I didn’t have to hobble 3 miles with a painful knee, and I consciously pre-hydrated a lot better than I did last week....I fecked that up last week big-time. And apart from the occasional dart of pain, I didn't feel much pain from the injury that's been bothering me for the last 3 weeks or so. On my physio’s recommendation, I bought a knee stabilizer for the left knee on Thursday and that seemed to help me loads. I think I might even go back and buy another one for the other knee.

The hardest part of the run was not the last couple of miles, but actually the FIRST 2 miles where I had to stop 3 times. I had what felt like a big build-up of lactic acid in my lower legs. But not around the calves....around the shins. Weird. I thought I'd have to give up but it was grand after 2-3 miles. After those 3 stops, I felt like I was cheating a bit coz it was no longer gonna be 20.2 non-stop miles of 'running', which is why I increased the target to 21 miles - to compensate a bit.

Well done. You are very committed to it. Take it very handy this week. First few weeks I did the 20 milers I was tired and my mood was affected. But the body adjusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

As regards fluids and gels, I diluted the PowerBar Electrolyte tablets much more heavily than I did last week and it tasted OK. They're probably the exact same thing as the Nuun tablets. So at least psychologically, I don't feel like I am missing out on anything now. Gels; I feel like my body has actually figured out now how to process them efficiently. They seem to be helping me much more now. Viper Active Mixed Berry gels rock. Only thing is, between gels, plain water and the diluted electrolyte drink, I feel like I am carrying an awful lot of stuff at the start of a long run.

I bought a protein bar yesterday to eat after my run last night, it looked delicious in the wrapper. But....jeeez.....rank! :mad:

It'll be the last very long LSR next weekend. Gonna do 21.2 miles. I think I'd like to do it as a morning run next weekend instead of in my usual timeslot of Friday night – just to see how I get on with it after the breakfast I'll eat on the 27th.

Legs are very tired this morning and I had a terrible night’s sleep. But happy. Gonna rest now 'til Monday apart from a bit of stretching, foam rolling and some cross-training.

That great going, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Morning all, really enjoying all the LSR reports this morning, well done everyone, inspiring stuff!

Hit off on my planned lsr early this morning and not long in the door. I had to switch weeks around so this was going to be my last proper lsr, so got prepared last night and laid out everything, and wore what I plan to wear on the day, eat my planned brekkie, etc.

Set off @ 6am (Im an early bird!) and took the advice that has been echoed here so many times, start off slow and pace yourself! Too many times on lsrs I start off too quickly and am wrecked by the end. So maintained an even pace of around 11:10 to 11:30 ish, and actually managed to hold it throughout, and ended up doing 21.2 Miles, longest run to date!! Just uploaded my stats and my pace was around about the same throughout the entire run...first time ever! I took 3 High 5 orange isogels with me and took them @ 6,12 & 18 miles and a handful of jelly beans in a zip lock bag and had a couple of them every now & then. Just water with them, used my new bottle and also have 2 small bottles on my running belt, which kinda annoyed me when I started using it first, but used to it now.

It was def my most successful lsr to date, it was a lovely morning, completely dry and not cold at all, but as I was out early I knew it wasnt going to get too sunny that early. I planned out my route well last night and did different loops so didnt get too bored. Stopped twice for a quick stretch and kept going. Didnt have any issues with my knee that I had a bit of bother with a few weeks ago & everything felt ok. Only thing out of the ordinary was I absolutely had to stop for a loo break around 2 hours in, first time it has happened to me out running, so lucky I was in a quiet road at the time with plenty of bushes lol!!

Legs actually feel ok now, going to have a cold bath in a while and take it handy for the day, and will go for a swim in the morning and get a few recovery miles in.

It was the first time that I actually felt that I had a bit left in the tank, other lsrs I literally got to my planned distance, almost crawling the last few miles, and stopped deal when my watch told me the distance had been reached! This was also my slowest run to date so that must be the key....slow and steady!! Now I dont know if I had a whole other 5 miles left in the tank!! I did the HM last weekend and was pretty tired after it, and was out running 3 times this week with 3 other gym sessions so its been quite a busy week. Had a rest day yesterday as I knew I had lsr this morning. So I am happy that I got the run done on tired legs. I am hoping if I taper properly before DCM I can get through this last 5 miles in one piece!

I have realised from reading this thread in the last few weeks that I dont really care how long it takes me to do DCM, just as long as I get around and enjoy it. I actually kind of enjoyed this mornings run, now it was incredibly challenging dont get me wrong, but a great sense of achievement all the time. My average pace to was 11:25 which is def not going to break any records but I am happy with it!

Vest best of luck to everyone doing their lsr today and tomorrow, happy running :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

1st 20m LSR this morning.

Not great pacing.
    Started off around 11 min/mile and then settled nicely into the planned 11:30 min/mile for 14 miles but then drifted to over 12 for the last six.

Feet in a basin off ice water now.
    Anyone else good tender soles?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Made it through the week, not much running - whatever went wrong at the HM stuck around and only feeling close to comfortable today. The mind has been switching between doing / not doing / doing / not doing the marathon every day but I'm going to get the runners on today after family duties and get a few miles in with the aim of trying the LSR tomorrow. We'll see how that goes and make any decision after that. I'm hoping the decision to move to the 4:30 pacers and the resulting 11min/mile LSR will help a lot, both physically and mentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

[QUOTE=

Feet in a basin off ice water now.
    Anyone else good tender soles?[/QUOTE]

yes Frash I do too, basin of cold water after most runs does it for me.

Step back week for me so doing LSR tomorrow, decided to head to parkrun this morning as haven't been all summer, got a pb 25.30 so delighted with that :-) prob shouldn't be racing 5ks but am off to yoga now and only have 12 miles to do tomorrow. Well done on all the long miles, enjoy the rest now!

• Advertisement

20 Miles LSR done with last 3 @ M-Pace, happy with this run, went very well actually, last 3 miles were tough obviously but don't feel too bad after it,

http://www.strava.com/activities/199947408

Advertisement