Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Well my week went like this...

Tuesday 5m easy
    Wed 7m miles a bit quicker than tues, but felt good
    Thurs 5m (cant even remember this run!)
    Fri rest
    Sat 5m pace
    Sunday 20.21 LSR. This was tough. I think I've been lucky up until now that all my long runs went well and I always felt like I had a bit left in the tank at the end. Not this time. I took a gel at 4.5m, felt good. Took another at 9.5. Still felt ok. When I got to mile 12, this is where the route changed from the 18 miler, to add on an extra bit. I was running down the seafront and needed to pass the wooden bridge and then take a left after st annes park and up watermill road, but I couldn't see the bridge and the road felt endless! Finally got to watermill road but it was a bit of a hill, my garmin battery died so I didn't know what pace I was doing. I had runkeeper on my phone but the volume was down. I think I went too fast up this hill and was wrecked when I got to the top. The only thing that kept me going was the promise that I made to myself (I could eat my choc energy bar at the top). The bar was a nice reward but it was quite chewy, I was out of breath and my nose was running which made it hard to breath so I walked for a minute to eat it. Then I felt like people were looking at me thinking "look at this sad cow meant to be running and instead shes stuffing her face with chocolate". Anyway, continued on and the bar gave me a good boost and filled a hole. When I got to 16 miles I thought I'd attempt a few pmp miles, but my legs were hard to speed up. My knees and hips felt stiff. The only thing making me go faster was knowing it would get me home quicker. From mile 17 I just wanted to walk. For the first time ever, every set of traffic lights had a green man so even the roads weren't an excuse to stop. I pushed on, at this stage I was checking my phone to see how close I was to 20 miles. I knew I would hit the 20 mile mark before I got home. Eventually I got to 20, then said feck it, I'll push to 20.2. I didn't give in, I ran to the end but it was tough. I had a battle with my brain and a battle with my legs. I was actually looking forward to a cold bath! (This marathon training really warps ones sense of enjoyment!). I was glad to get home and took it easy for the rest of the day. Please God the next 20 wont be so hard. I probably could have done with an extra gel towards the end but thought 2 gels and a bar was enough to be carrying (strapped to my small water bottle with bobbins again).

I'm just hoping this run was tough because my legs were tired and the taper will make all the difference. I think I will book a physio app for this week. When my knees and hips got stiff I was worried there was something wrong. My average pace for the run was 10.18. It was meant to be 10.30 but pacing was a bit all over the place, some miles quicker. Some slower. Will make sure my garmin is fully charged in future!

Roll on the marathon :confused::confused::eek::eek:

Edited to say this took me 3 hours 28mins!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Ososlo wrote: »
    I've recently started really focusing on relaxing my hands and this in turn seems to help relax between the shoulder blades. Shake out the arms regularly too.
    I'll try that, thanks.

On long runs I'm getting soreness / stiffness in my lower neck, too, between the tops of my shoulder blades. I find that loosening my shoulders helps, as does nodding, shaking, rolling my head & running like an egyptian (bobbing my head forwards & backwards). It does elicit wary looks from other pedestrians, mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Joleigh wrote: »
    Sunday 20.21 LSR.
    For the first time ever, every set of traffic lights had a green man so even the roads weren't an excuse to stop.

I know that feeling. On my LSRs I run up to lights saying a little prayer 'please don't let there be a green man, please don't let there be a green man'. And as for jay walking - we've got to think of road safety! :-)

Nicsx wrote: »
    I know that feeling. On my LSRs I run up to lights saying a little prayer 'please don't let there be a green man, please don't let there be a green man'. And as for jay walking - we've got to think of road safety! :-)

LOL. Sometimes I get halfway across and think, if a car comes now it'll just have to hit me cos I cant move any faster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

This time 4 weeks people..... :)

We will be progressing nicely. Good running form, feeling strong, up with the pace group that we've planned for and alll going well.
    And thinking of the rehydration plan in McGrattans :P

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Back on the wagon, I've missed 8 days of running including 2 LSRs. So target finishing time has been reigned way in, I'll be running to enjoy it now.

Reminder deadline to sign up is this Wednesday (2 more days!) @ 5pm. I'll be signing up at 4:55pm I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Has everyone entered at this stage? Only a few days to go! Don't forget!!

I still haven't.
    Going to see ecoli on Tuesday evening about that foot pain.
    Will decide after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Has everyone entered at this stage? Only a few days to go! Don't forget!!

I officially entered this morning !! Ahhhhh its real now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I haven't signed up either. I was gonna wait til after tomorrow nights run, but wifey is going into hospital tomorrow and I won't get to run at all tomorrow, so I'll sign up tomorrow, all being well after tonight's run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I haven't signed up either. I was gonna wait til after tomorrow nights run, but wifey is going into hospital tomorrow and I won't get to run at all tomorrow, so I'll sign up tomorrow, all being well after tonight's run.

Hope everything's OK with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

frash wrote: »
    I still haven't.
    Going to see ecoli on Tuesday evening about that foot pain.
    Will decide after that.

Same for me. Well unfortunately no ecoli here, but I'll be seeing another physio 9am Wednesday or earlier if someone cancels. Leg is a bit better this morning but still tender ... it's more than a niggle but I hope not a full-blown problem. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Back on the wagon, I've missed 8 days of running including 2 LSRs. So target finishing time has been reigned way in, I'll be running to enjoy it now.

Reminder deadline to sign up is this Wednesday (2 more days!) @ 5pm. I'll be signing up at 4:55pm I think :)

I'd sign up sooner if I hadn't already - I wouldn't want to be trying it at the last minute and it not to work. Interwebs break at the least convenient times....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eigeen

Stepback week as the folks in the know call it. Good gym session on Monday, a five miler on Tuesday, eight on Wednesday but skipped Thursday as my calf was niggling a little and don;t want to take any risks.

Great physio session Friday morning put me right again and the 12 mile "L"SR on Saturday was a breeze. Played 90 minutes for the local Soccer team yesterday as an emergency measure due to lack of numbers. Couldn't leave them down!!

Four weeks to go!!! Big week ahead before the wind down!!!

I've mapped out my 20 mile run for this weekend. It will take in the marathon route until it exits the park. Hopefully this will make me feel more prepared and I can see for myself what the chesterfield drag is like and the downhills too.

Hopefully this time 4 weeks we wont be too far from the finish line (those who aren't already finished!!). Oh the nerves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ciaranmac wrote: »
    I'd sign up sooner if I hadn't already - I wouldn't want to be trying it at the last minute and it not to work. Interwebs break at the least convenient times....

Really good point. Leave NOTHING to chance in this life ;)
    Plus you'll never live it down if you miss out due to missing the deadline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Good luck to those doing the Athlone 3/4 this weekend. Just as a heads up, I met Jim Aughney at Lord Mayors 5-alive reception in April. I mentioned I was planning to do the DCM, and asked about Athlone. His view was that (as a novice) if I ran it as a race I'd probably not recover in time, but if I treated it as a training run it was fine.

Given my overzealous approach to races (Endomondo : '' 1km in 5 and a half minutes" Me : oh bu**er , plan was 6.5-7min) I am playing it safe and circling Dublins northside (running down Watermill Road :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Joleigh wrote: »
    I've mapped out my 20 mile run for this weekend. It will take in the marathon route until it exits the park. Hopefully this will make me feel more prepared and I can see for myself what the chesterfield drag is like and the downhills too.

Hopefully this time 4 weeks we wont be too far from the finish line (those who aren't already finished!!). Oh the nerves...

its 14.02 now, all going well I will be crossing/coming up to/by some miracle maybe already crossed the finish line! I can see the beer.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Planed to do my second 20 mile this week but is looking unlikely as I'm still out with the flu, would it be stupid to do it next week with two weeks left for taper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I didn't finish my 20mile lsr on sat as got called away.. was 15 miles in.

Plan calls for 18 miles this weekend so i was gonna tack on the extra two.. Think i just want to have 2 x 20 mile lsr's done for my own piece of mind!

The rest of the weeks to marathon day ill follow as per plan!

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Planed to do my second 20 mile this week but is looking unlikely as I'm still out with the flu, would it be stupid to do it next week with two weeks left for taper?

Hey Darren. I think you'd be fine to do that at the weekend or early next week. Even 18 would be great as you've done a few longer ones. Main thing is to get better and to feel good doing a few shorter ones before you take on another big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Finally fronted up to my bad few weeks training and filled out the mileage tracker. Missed a few long runs but in general my mileage didn't crash as bad as I thought it did! (It did drop though, no doubting that!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

not the best week for me last week as i missed 2 sessions including my LSR due to my knee acting up. But think its the 1st LSR i missed so far so i should be ok

what kind of a warm up do most people usually do just before they start a marathon?

what kind of a warm up do most people usually do just before they start a marathon?

Very little. Definitely don't run any miles. But do stay active. You could be hanging around for up to an hour that morning. It was very cold last year. You don't want your muscles to get too cold but you don't want to expend any energy either. Walk around a bit. Shake out your limbs a bit.

You enter it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

Not the best week for me either had to cut an 18 miles down to a 12. But then again it was better than nothing. 20 planned for this weekend and then taper time. The fine weather is making life a lot easier.
    Going to jump in on this, been lurking around long enough. Great resource altogether.
    So here some stats. Running for 3 years. Have 10k pb of 46.37 ran a 1.45.43 half in dublin last week. All pbs are recent so I'm hitting a bit of form. My goal for DCM is to sneak under 4. Ran a 4.15 marathon in Kildare in 2012 and suppose I want to improve on that . Anyways that's me. Tried all this last year but pulled out due to injury so I'd be a happy camper if I even make it to the starting line in one piece. Great mentorship Ososlo.

Very little. Definitely don't run any miles. But do stay active. You could be hanging around for up to an hour that morning. It was very cold last year. You don't want your muscles to get too cold but you don't want to expend any energy either. Walk around a bit. Shake out your limbs a bit.

You enter it yet?

No I'll enter tomorrow

It's taking me about 3 miles to get going these days. Gonna have to spend an awful lot of time stretching over the next 4 weeks methinks.

No I'll enter tomorrow

It's taking me about 3 miles to get going these days. Gonna have to spend an awful lot of time stretching over the next 4 weeks methinks.

Don't forget!!! As if you would:D

Use the first 3 miles of the marathon to ease into your pace so!

You have any time target at all in mind for it or where you'll line up that morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Its a good question - you'll see many people doing dynamic warm ups (swinging their legs :) ), stretching - shaking out their limbs - all that sort of thing.

Use the 1st mile as a warm up - run a few seconds slower than MP (you'll get it back).
    This will help you warm up in a more controlled way and will elevate your heart rate slower than it would if you went straight into MP.

The adrenaline will be pumping so much that you'll probably have a high heart rate anyway.

sca21 wrote: »
    Not the best week for me either had to cut an 18 miles down to a 12. But then again it was better than nothing. 20 planned for this weekend and then taper time. The fine weather is making life a lot easier.
    Going to jump in on this, been lurking around long enough. Great resource altogether.
    So here some stats. Running for 3 years. Have 10k pb of 46.37 ran a 1.45.43 half in dublin last week. All pbs are recent so I'm hitting a bit of form. My goal for DCM is to sneak under 4. Ran a 4.15 marathon in Kildare in 2012 and suppose I want to improve on that . Anyways that's me. Tried all this last year but pulled out due to injury so I'd be a happy camper if I even make it to the starting line in one piece. Great mentorship Ososlo.
    Hope you nail that sub 4 sca21!
    How far did you get in training last year? Have the injury woes left you completely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The sprint dash from the jacks to the starting line for those at the back of the toilet queue is warm up enough :)

Advertisement