Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Joleigh wrote: »
    I went to physio today after the stiffness I felt on the lsr. I have tight it band and hip flexors. I'm actually bruised after it! So I didn't run tonight. I have new stretches to do then hopefully I'll be nice and limber for the big day.

Good shout Joleigh not running when tight like that. So close to the 'end of training'' its not worth doing every run on a schedule just because it calls for it.

Like you, physio told me I was too tight and basically 'a solid' :-). Lots of limbering up and a few 'Quality Runs' and u will be fine........thats my plan for my niggly knee/ankle/hamstring/eyelash .....as the wise old elf Ososlo tells us 'eyes on the prize' .
    :-)

P.S. after a shower a freezing cold shower head directed at the legs for 2-3 minutes seems to really help me cool down any achey parts of the body post a decent run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

DCM 2014 is now booked. Holy feckin' moly! Should have waited until the morning, don't think I'll sleep tonight! :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Ososlo wrote: »
    I've said it before, here and elsewhere, but to say it again to everyone, DCM is only one race. We're all caught up in the frenzy of it now, but it'll be there next year and every year after that for our running lifetimes so no one should put too much pressure on themselves to run it if not fully prepared or if they have constant niggles or injuries. A year is such a short amount of time that if anyone does have to put it off, the time will fly by and you can approach it as a much more experienced and wiser runner (after following this super thread:pac:) next year!

Nicely timed advice there...
    Just back from seeing ecoli about my foot and I have to take at least ten days off running.
    I probably could make it around the 26.2 miles but I don't think it would be pretty. Ecoli agrees.

Just as well I was leaving it until the last minute to register.

Disappointed obviously but also a bit relieved as I wasn't happy with last week's 20 miler and don't think this week's would have been any better.

Now where's that Belfast novices thread....

Best of luck to all and big thanks to ososlo.

frash wrote: »
    Just back from seeing ecoli about my foot and I have to take at least ten days of running.
    I probably could make it around the 26.2 miles but I don't think it would be pretty. Ecoli agrees.

Disappointed obviously but also a bit relieved as I wasn't happy with last week's 20 miler and don't think this week's would have been any better.

Sorry to hear that frash, feel bad now posting the above :o Hope the 10 days sees you right, take it handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Just back from seeing ecoli about my foot and I have to take at least ten days of running.

Well I am very sorry to hear that but undoubtedly you are doing the correct thing. Stick with us though to the end as you'll pick up more tips to help you for Belfast should you chose to do that. Good luck with the recovery and keep us posted about how you're getting on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

MLC_biker wrote: »
    Laois man, I only started running 3 years ago, late 40s, doing first marathon @ 51. So you have loads of time on your side, go with your head not the heart for now

My head says....do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Thats all very good, but I think you could go faster than 14hrs 63minutes and 45seconds. stick with PM and me, the 13hr pacing team.

Great stuff, I had been mulling over which pacing group to go with on the day, that has just made up my mind for me, 13 hrs here I come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Jealous :-(. Physio tomorrow morning to get a verdict ...
    Hi hillsiderunner,
    Best of luck at the Physio today, hopefully it goes well and you get to join the 'herd' for DCM day! What is your problem/niggle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

This might be inappropriate, but after a weekend in Berlin watching the marathon and surrounded by Marathon runners, I decided to add my observations to the flood of Berlin reports. I was there as a supporter but couldn't help thinking about DCM looming so close and what I might learn from watching the race and many conversations with all the great runners who completed it.

The race itself...
    8-9k... I stationed myself among small knots of people along Torstrasse, wheelchairs whizzing by first to appreciative cheers. One of the last wheelchairs seemed a good bit slower, as he passed I realised he only had 1 functioning arm. A lone runner came next, middle aged man, heavyset, seeming to shuffle slowly... It seemed he had a badly twisted leg, some sort of disability. How could these two possibly keep going for 26 miles? Hard to fathom the strength of character and perseverance involved.

Then came the flotilla of bikes and SUV's (BMW of course) announcing the arrival of the race leaders. A knot of 8-10 runners, all African, went by at speed, even at that stage the next group were 100m or more behind.

After the waves of elite runners, the crowds arrived. I was looking out for all the boardsies but didn't spot anyone, it was dizzying looking at all the runners. Failed my first test as a supporter: Murph had to give me a shout out as he ran past.

I did see some Crusaders in the crowd so shouted loudly at them. Also saw a couple of guys in grass skirts and lai's and a 'midnight cowboy' wearing only a pair of jocks adorned with Stars and Stripes. Someone asked me afterwards where his race number was... No idea!

41k-39k
    Determined to up my game as a supporter, I headed off on foot towards the end of the race. Just after the 40k mark, I saw the leaders again. By now the winner was on his own, a good 200m ahead of the next runner. They were beautiful to watch, all rhythm and speed and grace. Haven't seen anyone looking like that at Parkrun!

I walked back along the course against the flow of the race to around 38-39k, adding my cheers as runners went by, still very spread out. I could see the 35k gantry, this was a long straight stretch. I found some shade and a barrier to lean on where I had a good view of the runners approaching. I had tracked a few people on the app so was anxiously keeping an eye on their progress as they hit 35k.

The first person I spotted was a Crusader who was going very well, looking comfortable. I heard after that he did 2:44 or thereabouts. I shouted at every Crusader I saw, and afterwards a couple of them graciously thanked me for the support! I also called out to the few Dublin race series T-shirts I spotted, but before anyone accuses me of being overly nationalistic, I indiscriminately cheered as many people as I could, using names where I could read them. The runners really responded to the spectators, smiling, sometimes waving, sometimes barely a nod.

Yaboya was the first person I recognised, he looked like he was feeling the heat at that stage, but his sub-3 was still on. About a minute behind him came FBOT, who looked relaxed although I could tell from the app that he was unlikely to make sub-3 by then but wouldn't be far off it.

....and the Midnight Cowboy was still going well at 39k too...

A Crusader passed near me and smiled at the shout out. I realised it must be the legendary marthastew. Then I started to get anxious about where Murph was, about 10 mins later he appeared in his Crusaders singlet, looking happy and going well.

They were heading into a dogleg at this point so I redeemed my earlier miss by legging it up a side street and catching Murph again at 41k, to his surprise.

From there onto Unter den Linden where the crowds were huge and the end was in sight, through the magnificent Brandenburg gate. The organisation was brilliant, they even had a pedestrian crossing right in front of the gate... crossing hundreds of spectators across the path of thousands of runners, a feat of German engineering! The stewards redirected the runners to move crowds across the wide road in groups, corralling us in a centre island while moving the stream of runners again. A bit like a lock system on a canal or something.

From there to the 'family meeting area' where I found Murph under the M section (those Germans again... would never work in Dublin though because half the race would congregate under M)! He was happily drinking a beer, still alcohol-frei at that point, delighted with himself and keen to know how everyone else had fared.

We walked back to the hotel, through streets full of runners and their supporters, then went to the Oscar Wilde to get the reports from FBOT, Yaboya, Belcarra, Marthastew, Loughie (did Donegal proud!) and various Crusaders... and the high performing supporting team of Ferris, Mrs. Ferris, Mrs. FBOT, Sinead, Roisin... and others, too many to mention all, even if I remembered all the names! We concluded that being a marathon supporter is hard and thirsty work.

Reflections from a novice... what I learned from it all:
    In Yaboya's immortal and (very) often repeated words, you have to respect the distance. I saw people at 38k who were on for sub-3 or maybe even 2:45 (in other words, leagues above me) who were walking, looking glazed and out on their feet. Other people looked comfortable. Still others, like Yaboya and Marthastew were obviously making a huge effort and grinding it out.

You don't know if you can do the distance until you do it. Your first marathon is about proving that. And to quote FBOT we are training for a 10k... The most important and toughest 10k any novice will have ever done... one that comes after 30k!

Training is necessary but not sufficient. The training really works, it's practice, practice, practice. But it doesn't guarantee anything. The day itself, the race is what counts. Any number of things can go right or wrong--heat, hydration, how you're feeling, what's in your head. You can only control 3 of those at best! Leo, a Crusader who has done 28 marathons this year (!) was tripped up by someone running in a bottle outfit. He picked himself up, cut and bruised and finished. Some people who had been training diligently exceeded their targets. Others who had been training just as diligently didn't quite make theirs.

Finishing is what counts. Everyone I saw afterwards was delighted and on a high, even if they had missed what they were aiming for, that disappointment seemed short-lived and quickly replaced by a sense of accomplishment.

Marathon runners are a very supportive bunch... Or at least the ones that made it to the Oscar Wilde! They all enquired about and congratulated each other... Even though it's ultimately an individual achievement, there was such a strong sense of them being in it together. They were all generous in encouraging me for DCM, and respectful of a very slow novice, when they could have been dismissive.

It's a deadly buzz! The atmosphere, the sense of community, the support. Great fun.

I wish I had seen the people running at 4:30 level, where I am more likely to be, all going well... But I think the vibe will be similar.

FBOT, Yaboya, Belcarra, Marthastew and Mr Stew, Loughie (up Donegal!), various Crusaders. Not sure whether I'm more intimidated or inspired about DCM after hanging around with all those hard core runners!!!

Murph has been wearing his medal ever since. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

If you can write a report this good as a supporter, I can't wait to see the race report after the DCM :)

• Advertisement

Just back from seeing ecoli about my foot and I have to take at least ten days off running.

Sorry to hear that, Frash... you were going for similar time to me I think... thought I might have crossed paths with you on the course somewhere! better not to risk it though and you'll get another chance...

yaboya1 wrote: »
    If you can write a report this good as a supporter, I can't wait to see the race report after the DCM :)

LOL... I probably won't be able to move for weeks if I get through DCM... and no doubt will look "terrible" too! ;)

Brilliant Anna, thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

really sorry to read that frash but good for you making the right, if tough, decision. I hope you get to do Belfast & keep us posted on your progress - were still all in this together!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Holy Jaysis.......its October!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Hey everyone, haven’t been around for the last week or so, and have just caught up on everyone’s posts, I’m jealous of the progress many are making on the LSRs but feel slightly better that i’m not the only one finding them tough!

Training was interrupted by a weekend away, but I managed to stay on track by shuffling around a few runs, swapped an MP session from this week to last week and planning on doing two LSRs 6 days apart this week.

Did a 20 mile LSR last night –I found it tough for a number of reasons. Weekend away had a couple of very late nights/early mornings, had to do the run after work, I generally get on much better on a weekend morning. Was feeling good after 11 miles so attempted marathon pace miles between 12 and 16. After 14.5 had to stop and walk and take on a gel, then shuffled the remaining 5 miles home, Probably should have left out the MP miles. Not exactly over the moon but not too disappointed either. 20 more miles in the bank.

I was targeting 9:45 mins/ mile
    My MP miles were 8:40 mins/mile – this was based on sub 3:50 pace.
    Overall pace still averaged 9:45 mins/mile with a short walk, one pit stop for water and 2.5 MP miles – pacing in general was erratic!

I know the preparation was far from Ideal and I have to take the effects of taper into account, but I think I’ve learned enough from this run to decide on my final race strategy. I think 8:40 mins/mile is too hot for me for this marathon, I think I’ll be happier with the 4 hour pacers or in their general area. My half time would suggest sub 3:50 should be fine(mcmilan predicts 3:32) , but at this point I don’t think I have the endurance base to sustain it over the full race. I’ve trained consistently, hitting all my LSRs over the last 6weeks, but I suppose everyone responds differently to training and I think I might need another training cycle to hold that pace for a full 26.2. Looking forward to race day now, have started telling people I’m running, so no backing out now!

Wouldnt mind a few opinions on this weekends run. Boards plan says 18m LSR for this week, would there be any harm in going for 20 again and tapering from there? My last 6 weeks' long runs have been 17-19-20-18-Dublin half-20. If I did another 20 I’d have 3 done going into the marathon. Would any benefit from this be purely psychological?

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Would any benefit from this be purely psychological?

Can't offer experienced advice, but I'll certainly be doing 20 miles. 18 as part of a race run at LSR to marathon pace, with a mile either side for w/u and w/d. No harm I think and will definitely give me a boost going into taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Ran up Heartbreak Roebuck Hill this morning and found the 22m marker just over the crest. I hope I make it that far at the end of the month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Ran up Heartbreak Roebuck Hill and found the 22m marker just over the crest. I hope I make it that far at the end of the month!

Been noticing a few markers around.. 17m as you turn onto Templeogue road and 19 mile going down the hill towards the dropping well.

Hoping for a good week this week as the last two haven't been really enjoyable. Stiff legs(although that was sorted out by ecoli) and tiredness..
    To be honest my food intake was off the charts i was eating like a horse and takeaways all over the place!

So good food here on in and get through my training runs as planned!

Actually talking to a guy in work this morning about the Marathon and he was surprised how much i was looking forward to it.. Really cant wait!!

ChadHogan wrote: »

Training was interrupted by a weekend away, but I managed to stay on track by shuffling around a few runs, swapped an MP session from this week to last week and planning on doing two LSRs 6 days apart this week.

Did a 20 mile LSR last night
    Wouldnt mind a few opinions on this weekends run. Boards plan says 18m LSR for this week, would there be any harm in going for 20 again and tapering from there? My last 6 weeks' long runs have been 17-19-20-18-Dublin half-20. If I did another 20 I’d have 3 done going into the marathon. Would any benefit from this be purely psychological?

Hi Chad
    Well done on the training and the 20 last night.
    I don't think you need to do another 20, but so much of it is in the head that I don't think there's any harm in doing 20 instead of 18 if you feel more confident about things.
    The only concern I'd have about it would be when you do it. IMO, try to leave at least 6 days between the last 20 and the next one. You can't be too careful at this point in proceedings, so seeing as you did 20 last night I wouldn't do the next one until next Tuesday if possible, maybe Monday if feeling really good.
    I think doing it at the weekend is too close to the last 20.
    You've some great long runs done there so look to be very well set up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I'm looking forward to being about 3 miles in, warmed up and the nervous feeling gone out of my belly and heart beating at a normal (ish) pace. Hate the nerves the night/morning before and the jittery feeling at the start line and 50 trips to the loo.

Been noticing a few markers around.. 17m as you turn onto Templeogue road and 19 mile going down the hill towards the dropping well.

Hoping for a good week this week as the last two haven't been really enjoyable. Stiff legs(although that was sorted out by ecoli) and tiredness..
    To be honest my food intake was off the charts i was eating like a horse and takeaways all over the place!

So good food here on in and get through my training runs as planned!

Actually talking to a guy in work this morning about the Marathon and he was surprised how much i was looking forward to it.. Really cant wait!!
    That's great to be so excited. You're well trained and prepared so why shouldn't you be looking forward to lining up on the 27th full of excitement and confidence!

Yeah I really think that fuelling yourself well really helps matters. You've a month to get that sorted;)
    Besides the odd drink at the weekend, I'd advise people to be really careful about drinking to excess from now on too. It's just not worth it and you're not getting the best out of your training and it'll take you longer to recover from training runs. There's only a month to go and then you can look forward to the marathon drinking session on the afternoon of the 27th and make up for lost time:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

My food intake was off the charts i was eating like a horse and takeaways all over the place!

Also guilty!

Bless me Fr for I have sinned...

Had an office lunch on Monday that constituted of Domino's Pizza - after a chinese takeway on Saturday. A bit too keen on the little treats with a cuppa too many nights too.

:(

Really have to direct more of my dedication into being good with the diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can anyone tell us where the inclines/hills/drags are in the race. It would be good to know in advance. I see Killian says Roebuck Rd is at 22 miles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's a link to a mile by mile breakdown on post 1 or 2.

Essentially

Drag up chesterfield avenue mile 3.5
    Downhill section around mile 7
    Uphill bit around mile 11 - Chapelizod up towards inchicore
    Other than that 2 short hills at miles 20 and 22.

Nothing much to worry about all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

You will hear many people 'discuss' Clonskeagh & Roebuck hills - in truth, neither are either that long nor are they that steep. They do come at a tough part of the course though, namely as part of that last 10k. There is traditionally a large water & gel station after clonskeagh and a wonderful downhill straight after roebuck.

Be prepared for them, but don't fear them, the myth is larger than reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

adrian522 wrote: »

Essentially

Easy Peasy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi hillsiderunner,
    Best of luck at the Physio today, hopefully it goes well and you get to join the 'herd' for DCM day! What is your problem/niggle?

Well the money is now paid to DCM, and flights booked :-) .... am still not an absolute definite to run it but I think the chance is good.

My problem started out as a tight inner-calf just over a week ago (couple of days after DCHM), then by Thurs/Fri of last week I started feeling some occasional shin pain ... at that stage they were only niggles so I continued to run on it, and did my long run of 22.5 miles on Saturday night. Anyway after this *lovely* comfortable relaxed LSR, I had pain/weakness at the back and outside of the calf ... difficulty putting weight on it.

Saw the physio this morning after three and a bit days of no running. The leg was already a bit better at that stage, but still a bit sore/weak. Anyway the first bit of good news is that - I don't have shin splints. I had a knot in my inner calf (the very first niggle I noticed) and the effect of running on that is that it has caused a bit of soft tissue damage on the outside of my leg. Second bit of good news is that the physio did a bit of work on the knot in my inner calf and it seems to have made quite a difference, just a few hours after.

Bad news - no running until all the pain is gone *and* a further couple of days have passed after that. I can use the elliptical instead (yeuch) and/or do pool running. She cannot be sure how long it will take to resolve, it could be a week, or it could be 3-4 weeks (DCM). All the same she did not think I was mad to sign up at all, she seemed to think this was a quite reasonable strategy and that I would be able to maintain the fitness with the other training.

Of course I am expecting it'll only be a week for me :-). The leg is feeling quite a lot better already. Will not do anything silly though. If I'm not feeling good/properly-fixed in 3 and a half weeks I'll leave the 95E as a donation to DCM and cheer the other runners on along the streets.

Week ahead is calf stretching, some elliptical workouts, and if I'm lucky I might even get a short run or two at the end of that. I am going to see the physio again in a week's time to check it out and plan.

Frash sorry yours was a bit more severe. But there is Belfast (and DCM 2015! ... for us all).

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

adrian522 wrote: »

Essentially

I've run all these in training and agree that there is nothing major to fear. I would say the climb out of chapelizod is the toughest in my view it definitely needs to be respected! It definitely felt longer and steeper that Roebuck hill for sure, in particular the last 100 m or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi I'm a bit late to this thread but loving the advice and chat. Really excited now.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I ran the Frank Duffy 10 in Sugust, 78:04 (a first so also a PB)
    I ran a Fit For Life 5k in August also, 21:38 (also a first/PB)
    Recently ran the Dublin HM in 1:41:08 (also a first/PB)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No unless interval training :)

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I train 5/6 days a week
    Tuesday and Thursday are usually speed and strength intervals (5x 1 miles at 7.15 pace with 90 secs rec or 10x 1k 60 secs recovery), Tuesday run is alternated with 9-11 mile easy/steady run. Weekends are easy 6-8 miles Saturday and long run Sunday. Have alternated long runs (16-18-20) with long slow and steady and fast finish runs.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Finish happy having graduated into 'cruise speed' hopefully break 3:30 :)

How many days a week can you train?
    5-6

Why are you running this marathon?
    Needed motivation after I started jogging in January after a break of a few years and two kids. Also a long 'To Do' list!

Advertisement