Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Marthastew wrote: »
    I popped on here to find you to say it was great to meet you in the Oscar Wilde and was delighted to find such a super report of the weekend :-)

Some very, very wise observations on the marathon that will definitely stand to you on race day.
    Very best of luck over the next couple of weeks with your training (and to all the novices), I see you're in expert hands here with Ososlo and her band of merry helpers.

Everyone who posts here on this thread is a hard core runner, you're training for a marathon!

Thanks O, it was great to meet you, you have been an inspiration to everyone! You looked a little less hardcore on the Segway the next day! We saw you at the beginning, I'm sure you were an expert by the end! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Thanks yaboya1,

I totally think you are right, and I agree with you. I don't know if I'm too much of a 'yes' woman or what, just find it hard to say 'No' when he suggests I should do something. I almost feel like a child again, should be doing what I am told!! Which I know is ridiculous!! I don't know, strange dynamic going on I suppose.

Definitely not going to run it, rest and taper much more important. Looking forward to DCM! Bring it on!!
    H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Hey, remember, you've all got exactly 24 hours and 2 minutes to sign up. Wednesday 5:00pm is the cut off.

I'll do my sign up tonight!

I presume you're joking and know that it's now Wednesday and it's closing in approx. 1 minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    I presume you're joking and know that it's now Wednesday and it's closing in approx. 1 minute!

Ahh dammit!

You were meant to freak out!!!

Spoil sport! :D

Ahh dammit!

You were meant to freak out!!!

Spoil sport! :D

phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you had missed it I was gonna head down to Laois right this minute and slap you!

• Advertisement

phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you had missed it I was gonna head down to Laois right this minute and slap you!

Ya wouldn't find me anywhere in that hole!

Speaking of name changes......I must do one......Auld_Crock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

crisco10 wrote: »
    Double plus 20? This is something I'm struggling with. Ok so, back in August I did the HM in 90mins after a good 10 weeks training which peaked at 19 mile LSR. Therefore; target time is 3:20+/-. (Mcmillan gives 3:10)

But have been a bit injured since then so I missed 2 or 3 LSRs in end of August but back going well in September, by start of taper will have done 3 or 4 runs in 15-20 mile range and 2 at 20plus. (Along with recovery runs etc)

with this in mind, I'm afraid my stamina will be a bit weaker? So had downgraded to a 3:30 target. is that still a bit hard or soft? I know everybody is different etc, but is there a trial I can do to see where I am?

Sure a million people have their own pacing selection issues...it's just so hard to find a pace that will be hard but not too hard for ~3.5hrs!

My own opinion is that 3-4 runs of 20 miles should suffice to build up your endurance, but only if you are supplementing those long runs with highish mileage and another medium long run during the week.

Part of this equation also needs to consider your training during the year - was it highish mileage (30-40) - if so, then I think your target is doable.

I do feel though that its better to start with a conservative target and then get faster rather than start faster and then die at mile 18 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

HelgaWard wrote: »
    My coach thinks I am capable of 3:33. I'm not so sure, finding it hard to decide what pace to run at. Would be over the moon with a 3 thirty something finish, but it's my first marathon so I would also be happy to get through it feeling well and in control with a 3 forty something finish.
    Any advice on recommended pacing would be must appreciated. Was thinking of going between the 3:30 and 3:40 pacers (so possibly around 3:35)

Welcome

My advice to you would be to go with what YOU feel comfortable with. If you go with what your coach says and you dont feel comfortable or haven't fully committed to, once you get any demons and negative thoughts in your head - your a gonner. As you haven't committed to it.

Pick a time that you feel you can achieve and commit to it and tell those demons to f*&k off when they arrive :)

Join the 3:40 pacing bus - the guys pacing that are sound lads - good looking too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Join the 3:40 pacing bus - the guys pacing that are sound lads - good looking too :)

I thought you were pacing 3:40???? :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

@Helga & Dubgal: Welcome to the forum

As the lads have mentioned a conservative approach might be the most sensible, the course itself lends itself to a faster 2nd half so there is plenty of opportunity to make up time in the second half if you are feeling okay bu its better to feel comfortable and pick it up than be struggling after half way and trying to hold on

Best of luck with the race have faith in your coaching and your approach and it will come good on the day just be sensible about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭johndoe11

I have also been reading it this thread weeks. Here's my details

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I've been running since 2011 regularly, joined a club Jan 2013 so have been training fairly consistently since then.

All below runs in 2014

Frank Duffy 10 mile , 76:15
    10K PB , 44:01
    5 K PB , 20:05
    1/2 Marathon PB Sept 13, 1:44:35.

I did the Dublin HM half this year in 1.48.15 but i was hoping for close to 1:40 finish, but knew after about 3 miles that i felt very sluggish. Had done a 20 mile LSR the previous sat so maybe that was it. My 5k and 10k PBs indicate i should be much faster for the HM.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

4/5 Days a week, usually about 40 miles a week. have done 2 x 20 mile and about 7 over 15 mile runs so far in this marathon training plan.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Or just complete it in no specified time?

I'm not sure at all what to aim for, thinking go out at 3.50. A few friends saying i should be well able to do 3.40.

How many days a week can you train?
    I train 4/5 days a week

Why are you running this marathon?
    I've always wanted to do a marathon.

Any advice on pacing would be appreciated. a lot of people seem to have similar times to me for PB's

Cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Ya wouldn't find me anywhere in that hole!

Speaking of name changes......I must do one......Auld_Crock!

Hey! Laois isn't a hole, I'm from there.

johndoe11 wrote: »
    I have also been reading it this thread weeks. Here's my details

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I've been running since 2011 regularly, joined a club Jan 2013 so have been training fairly consistently since then.

All below runs in 2014

Frank Duffy 10 mile , 76:15
    10K PB , 44:01
    5 K PB , 20:05
    1/2 Marathon PB Sept 13, 1:44:35.

I did the Dublin HM half this year in 1.48.15 but i was hoping for close to 1:40 finish, but knew after about 3 miles that i felt very sluggish. Had done a 20 mile LSR the previous sat so maybe that was it. My 5k and 10k PBs indicate i should be much faster for the HM.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

4/5 Days a week, usually about 40 miles a week. have done 2 x 20 mile and about 7 over 15 mile runs so far in this marathon training plan.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Or just complete it in no specified time?

I'm not sure at all what to aim for, thinking go out at 3.50. A few friends saying i should be well able to do 3.40.

How many days a week can you train?
    I train 4/5 days a week

Why are you running this marathon?
    I've always wanted to do a marathon.

Any advice on pacing would be appreciated. a lot of people seem to have similar times to me for PB's

Cheers!

Your PB's are similar to mine going into Chicago last year, but your training is much better. I ran 3:34, so would assume sub 3:40 should be very doable for you. The only thing that worries me is your HM pb in relation to your other times (should be around 1:40) which could indicate you lack some endurance. If you're sure this is not the case and there are valid reasons for that one being out of line with the others, I'd definitely aim for sub 3:40. In fact, you'll probably be capable of quicker, but no harm starting out conservative and speeding up later if you still feel good.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Hey! Laois isn't a hole, I'm from there.

That's the exciting end - My side of the hill, is a hole.

carmendub wrote: »
    Hey all, I have finally gotten around to posting on the thread-I have been following it from near the start of training and have been enjoying the reports, ups and downs etc from everyone-it has helped my me get through my downs! So I'm not technically a novice, having run DCM 2012 but I suffered with my ITB badly towards the last few weeks of training last time so my build up to DCM 2012 was lots of physio, foam rolling, panicking and sleepless nights but I managed to complete it with a little help from some difene. This time around I have been determined not to get injured so have been religious with my pre and post stretching, foam rolling etc and so far so good-besides falling down the stairs in work last week (don't ask-but luckily escaped with some cuts and bruises!!). Anyway 10 Miler race series was 81.58 mins (not a PB) which I wasn't happy with-had a bad day and also had hit a bit of a wall/negativity in training but I redeemed myself with a PB in the Half 1.43.48 and my motivation has been reignited so all going well I am hoping to get in under 4 hours in the Marathon. One last LSR this Sunday (after a wedding in Tyrone on Sat :-/) so hopefully complete that and then it's tapering time/trying to stay injury free. Really looking forward to DCM this time around and feeling more confident! Just wondering if anyone has any advice for the week before the marathon in terms of what to do/what not to do-ie I cycle in and out of work each day (19k roundtrip) and I go to the gym 2 days to do free weights/core stuff and then 4 days running so just wondering if I should lay off the cycling to work and gym the week before or maybe even the 2 weeks before or should I just stick with my routine??Want the legs to be totally fresh on race day! Before DCM 2012 I was injured so did very little the few weeks before unfortunately! Thanks all and look forward to keeping up with everyones logs in the run up to the big Day!
    Welcome to the thread and it's great that you're finding it useful!
    I'd be inclined to cut back on the cycling in the week before the race. Don't cut it out altogether but do cut down a bit. Same goes for the gym stuff. Maybe do half of what you'd normally do? Don't try any new exercises/equipment in the gym either. Minimise any possibility of injury/strain.
    The 2 days before I'd stay off the feet as much as possible with just a little gentle walking around the expo etc. You definitely want to be as fresh as possible! Best of luck with the rest of the training.

yaboya1 wrote:
    Your PB's are similar to mine going into Chicago last year, but your training is much better. I ran 3:34, so would assume sub 3:40 should be very doable for you. The only thing that worries me is your HM pb in relation to your other times (should be around 1:40) which could indicate you lack some endurance. If you're sure this is not the case and there are valid reasons for that one being out of line with the others, I'd definitely aim for sub 3:40. In fact, you'll probably be capable of quicker, but no harm starting out conservative and speeding up later if you still feel good.

thanks. yeah, I thought I should have got close to 1.40 in the Dublin HM. Just wasn't able to go on the day or even beat my pb. I did my pb in June when not nearly as fit as now. I'm doing LSR at slightly over 9 min/mile with no great difficulty, but I'm not sure I could keep up 3.34 pace. did you suffer much towards the end at that pace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yaboya1 wrote: »

The 10k PB is out of whack with the 5k PB too (should be around 41-42 minutes I'd imagine based on a 20 minute 5k). I'd definitely be wary of a lack of endurance TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I'd be inclined to cut back on the cycling in the week before the race. Don't cut it out altogether but do cut down a bit. Same goes for the gym stuff. Maybe do half of what you'd normally do? Don't try any new exercises/equipment in the gym either. Minimise any possibility of injury/strain.
    The 2 days before I'd stay off the feet as much as possible with just a little gentle walking around the expo etc. You definitely want to be as fresh as possible! Best of luck with the rest of the training.

Hi carmendub - I cycle as well and I'm planning something like the above too. Might cycle up to the Tuesday /Wednesday the week before and leave it then, the Thursday and Friday anyway definitely. That's based on me cycling commuting for 5 years so something I'm well used to!

thanks. yeah, I thought I should have got close to 1.40 in the Dublin HM. Just wasn't able to go on the day or even beat my pb. I did my pb in June when not nearly as fit as now. I'm doing LSR at slightly over 9 min/mile with no great difficulty, but I'm not sure I could keep up 3.34 pace. did you suffer much towards the end at that pace?

My calves started to seize up at around 23 miles because I just hadn't got the training in my legs (missed 7 weeks with a torn calf muscle). That was my third marathon though having already run 3:39 & 3:35 before that, so maybe you should be a little more cautious?
    menoscemo wrote: »
    The 10k PB is out of whack with the 5k PB too (should be around 41-42 minutes I'd imagine based on a 20 minute 5k). I'd definitely be wary of a lack of endurance TBH.

Just noticed this too. 3:50 is probably the way to go then, and quicken up later in the race if you're still feeling ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Whohooo.......got on the scales this morning and I dropped a full stone since the 'selection box days' at the Raheny 5 in January this year!
    Saw a 12 on the first part of the scales, though it was broken........

On a negative note, my trousers are hanging off me and I need a new belt :-)

Anyone else going through a morphing process?

P.S.
    I plan to eat my body weight in Chicken Satay and fried rice at 6pm on the 27th :-)

• Advertisement

Whohooo.......got on the scales this morning and I dropped a full stone since the 'selection box days' at the Raheny 5 in January this year!

P.S.
    I plan to eat my body weight in Chicken Satay and fried rice at 6pm on the 27th :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Frash - I'm sorry to hear you are out. I hope you are ok.

Annapr - what an incredible supporter and post to read for Berlin. Brilliant. Well done to all. Feeling a bit like Jade Goody reading about 41km. 41KM! I'm consoling myself that I run in miles.

Marthastew - my HERO! See you in 26 days. I hope Berlin went well for you.

Ok so took advice on not running when knowing body isn't up for it.
    Pain coming back in heel but nothing as bad as it was but calves were sore even walking so didn't do speed session tonight. Instead booked last minute physio appointment. Either my calves are getting stronger or he was a bit too nice on me as the pain wasn't as horrific as expected. I've tight inner calves that aren't easing with foam rolling. He now wants to see me WEEKLY! Possibly worth it after all the training and not letting body give up now. Will write a list for next session :-)
    I need more foam rolling and static stretching as well and also I'm a bit too rushed on the stretching so have to put more effort in every day, run days or not.
    Might do 3 mile tomorrow night, rest Friday and then Saturday would hope to do 1m w/u, 18m LSR and 1m c/d.
    Is this ok to do with only one 5 mile easy last night? aLast run before that on Saturday. I've a 4m commuting cycle each day so not completely lazy.
    Body is a temple week and trying to shift weight but not go on crazy diet not working either so well done on weight loss Smashiner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

smashiner wrote: »

P.S.

Very similar story here. Am down nearly 2 stone from January and heading for 4 from heaviest. I had targeted a 12 in the first column for DCM and am expecting to see that in next two weeks :)

menoscemo wrote: »

Thanks. Yeah it is, I ran the 10k in a April and the 5k in July, haven't done a 10k since. I'm planning on doing the park west 10k on the 7th so might use that as a guide to see where I'm at.

yaboya1 wrote:
    My calves started to seize up at around 23 miles because I just hadn't got the training in my legs (missed 7 weeks with a torn calf muscle). That was my third marathon though having already run 3:39 & 3:35 before that, so maybe you should be a little more cautious?

yeah I think I'm going to go with the cautious approach. I don't really want to die a death in the last few miles, I'd like to finish strong and finish feeling positive. it's my first marathon, so plenty of time to improve!

aquinn wrote: »
    Ok so took advice on not running when knowing body isn't up for it.
    Pain coming back in heel but nothing as bad as it was but calves were sore even walking so didn't do speed session tonight. Instead booked last minute physio appointment. Either my calves are getting stronger or he was a bit too nice on me as the pain wasn't as horrific as expected. I've tight inner calves that aren't easing with foam rolling. He now wants to see me WEEKLY! Possibly worth it after all the training and not letting body give up now. Will write a list for next session :-)
    I need more foam rolling and static stretching as well and also I'm a bit too rushed on the stretching so have to put more effort in every day, run days or not.
    Might do 3 mile tomorrow night, rest Friday and then Saturday would hope to do 1m w/u, 18m LSR and 1m c/d.
    Is this ok to do with only one 5 mile easy last night? aLast run before that on Saturday. I've a 4m commuting cycle each day so not completely lazy.
    Body is a temple week and trying to shift weight but not go on crazy diet not working either so well done on weight loss Smashiner.

Hi aquinn. I'm not sure what you mean by 1m w/u and then the lsr? The LSR should all be very easy (unless you're doing marathon pace sections) so I don't really understand the extra mile on either end?
    I wouldn't push the 18 LSR on Saturday. It might be a stretch too far with the lack of runs recently. Just take it as it comes and if you're feeling good keep going but don't be afraid to do a much shorter run if you feel it's too much. If any of the pain comes back then knock it on the head. You've most of the work done and are on the home straight so best not to overdo things due to recent niggles at this stage.

yeah I think I'm going to go with the cautious approach. I don't really want to die a death in the last few miles, I'd like to finish strong and finish feeling positive. it's my first marathon, so plenty of time to improve!

That's the spirit. Plenty of marathons ahead! I think you're being very sensible and would agree with the other posters' advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hi aquinn. I'm not sure what you mean by 1m w/u and then the lsr? The LSR should all be very easy (unless you're doing marathon pace sections) so I don't really understand the extra mile on either end?
    I wouldn't push the 18 LSR on Saturday. It might be a stretch too far with the lack of runs recently. Just take it as it comes and if you're feeling good keep going but don't be afraid to do a much shorter run if you feel it's too much. If any of the pain comes back then knock it on the head. You've most of the work done and are on the home straight so best not to overdo things due to recent niggles at this stage.

Sorry I was trying to make up a 20m but will stick with the 18m and not push myself. More for my head than legs but won't now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carmendub

Thanks for the great advice Ososlo!Will take it easy the week before and hopefully will make it to the start line injury free!

• Advertisement

Very similar story here. Am down nearly 2 stone from January and heading for 4 from heaviest. I had targeted a 12 in the first column for DCM and am expecting to see that in next two weeks :)

Great stuff Pacing Mule,
    That is some drop in weight....so much easier to run! 4 stone is truly a 'Transformation', u must be chuffed :-)

U will have to change your name to ' Thoroughbred Horse' soon!!
    Best of luck in the DCM.....we will be in the Elite section by the end of the month :-)))

Advertisement