Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

There is some debate about the effectiveness of foam rolling the IT Band if injured - I'd get advice on this if you have ITB issues.

There are physio's out there that aren't much in favor of foam rolling anything. Then again, they wouldn't be!

I got a little first hand lesson this evening on how the Jamaican Olympic athletes team have all been doing their stretches since they were nippers. Fascinating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    5 mile tempo run tonight in 35:30... Feeling buzzed so gingersnap, in answer to your question I'm having a can of cider tonight in a hot bath. Classy huh? I have definitely cut down in the last couple of months but don't plan to cut out altogether. Moderation but it requires a lot of discipline to open a bottle of wine and not finish it, especially if just a recovery run planned the day after. I heard of an international decathlete or heptathlete who has a glass of red, even the night before a comp. it's part of her routine and works for her. Interesting results if you google athletics and drinking....

Ciaran O Lionard had 3 bottles of beer the night before qualifying for the olympics. I had a pint of Ale with Krusty_Clown the night before we both set PBs in London Marathon 2013. As you say; moderation is the key. No need to cut it out completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    There are physio's out there that aren't much in favor of foam rolling anything. Then again, they wouldn't be!

I got a little first hand lesson this evening on how the Jamaican Olympic athletes team have all been doing their stretches since they were nippers. Fascinating!!

Star?

Ososlo wrote: »
    Star?

Yep

He swears by using one of these angle board yokes, set to 30 degrees. There's loads of variations on how you can use it to get at different parts differently.

angle-board.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ciaran O Lionard had 3 bottles of beer the night before qualifying for the olympics. I had a pint of Ale with Krusty_Clown the night before we both set PBs in London Marathon 2013. As you say; moderation is the key. No need to cut it out completely.

Right, that's it, I am off to the pub to get legless, if its good enough for Ciaran O'Lionard...... scrap this whole sobriety thing :-)

2 hours later:
    Thanks for the (hic) advice, ur were always a bezzie mate (hic) to me....

• Advertisement

Right, that's it, I am off to the pub to get legless, if its good enough for Ciaran O'Lionard...... scrap this whole sobriety thing :-)

2 hours later:
    Thanks for the (hic) advice, ur were always a bezzie mate (hic) to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I've had A night out after the 10 mile and half. That's it. For months I've been avoiding drink. Committed to designated driver for a night out too on Saturday. FFS. I could be drinking? Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aquinn wrote: »
    I've had A night out after the 10 mile and half. That's it. For months I've been avoiding drink. Committed to designated driver for a night out too on Saturday. FFS. I could be drinking? Damn.

Haha, it's still not a good idea to be having skinfulls in fairness. We Irish are often all or nothing in nature so it's often better for us to side with nothing.

Yep

He swears by using one of these angle board yokes, set to 30 degrees. There's loads of variations on how you can use it to get at different parts differently.

angle-board.jpg

I'd almost like to have a little niggle or something so I'd have an excuse to get checked out by the LEGEND!!!!!! I read about that board he uses before.
    What does he say about you running the marathon? Happy for you to do it with your niggles?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    5 mile tempo run tonight in 35:30... Feeling buzzed so gingersnap, in answer to your question I'm having a can of cider tonight in a hot bath. Classy huh? I have definitely cut down in the last couple of months but don't plan to cut out altogether. Moderation but it requires a lot of discipline to open a bottle of wine and not finish it, especially if just a recovery run planned the day after. I heard of an international decathlete or heptathlete who has a glass of red, even the night before a comp. it's part of her routine and works for her. Interesting results if you google athletics and drinking....

Hope you enjoyed your bath and cider! Well deserved after that run :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What about the ale and red wine pre london this year buddy????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

gingersnap wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed your bath and cider! Well deserved after that run :)

Thanks gingersnap! Having a pre-bath cider too :-))

I'd almost like to have a little niggle or something so I'd have an excuse to get checked out by the LEGEND!!!!!! I read about that board he uses before.
    What does he say about you running the marathon? Happy for you to do it with your niggles?

That fella gave out to me for running 18 miles a few weeks ago! I'm not even asking him should I not run it :D
    I hadn't been looking after myself with any sports massages though - that's why he gave out! He can be a moaney git too!

He's one of those whose not much of a fan of foam rolling by the way.

There's a few video's on YouTube showing "Slant Board" or "Angle Board" exercises.....but they're all 5hit!

That fella gave out to me for running 18 miles a few weeks ago! I'm not even asking him should I not run it :D

He's one of those whose not much of a fan of foam rolling by the way.

There's a few video's on YouTube showing "Slant Board" or "Angle Board" exercises.....but they're all 5hit!

I think I remember reading that he came up with the idea of that board and he's patented it. Probably be easy enough to make one if you're handy with your tools!

How are the niggles now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I think Denis is getting taper madness 1 week early :)

Joleigh gives great advice above - do the 20 miles this weekend, really prepare for it like it was the marathon and start off slow when running it. Aim to enjoy it and not see it as a slog. Dont be afraid of not finishing it - its 20 miles - you will get thoughts that you cant finish it - but you know what, you can.

I fully agree with Ososlo - this is normal - no matter how prepared you are, you will always think you are under prepared.
    I read something recently about an Elite who likes to approach each marathon with that same fear of being under prepared, as if he feels very prepared, he will be complacent and not respect the distance.

You are in good shape physically - just get the head in gear and you will be grand.

The voices of reason & sanity have spoken! Thank you, i for one would be lost without those kind words & positive thinking that everyone here has. Your right amk, taper madness a week early, so hopefully the week of the marathon I'll have it out of my system :)
    Ososlo & joleigh i agree, I'll aim for the 20 to put the mind at ease, but I'm okay with finishing 18 too (voices of reason, thank you)
    Laois man, thank you, I never looked at my mileage that way, when I looked I just seen, the blanks, the weeks with 4 runs instead of 5, the days with shorter mileage than it should have been etc. I don't think I've ever been in the top 10 of anything :)

Positive affirmations from here on in folks, as well as healthy eating & better sleeping!
    It's like been a kid all over again & waiting for santa on Christmas eve, the excitement, the anticipation, the expectations, role on the 27.10.14

I think I remember reading that he came up with the idea of that board and he's patented it. Probably be easy enough to make one if you're handy with your tools!

How are the niggles now?

No I think you're thinking of the MRIP tool (Muscle Recovery & Injury Prevention).

The angle board is something he saw the Jamaican athletes using when he was working with them.

Haven't run since Monday and just had a hurtful deep sports massage earlier this evening so I'm under orders to not run til Saturday. Hoping I'll get through a good few miles then. I was pretty sore today so I will have to see. :rolleyes:

So what plans have people got for after dcm? I'd advise everyone to take two weeks off completely. Some of you will need more.
    Concentrate on shorter distances? Join a club? Look towards a spring marathon? I guess that last one really depends on how it all goes on the 27th!
    Also, will some of you go on hols after the marathon or is it straight back to work on the 28th?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

After DCM? Few drinks probably.

Assuming my number doesn't come up in the London ballot, few weeks off then maybe look at a 5k/10K plan over the winter, with an aim of some good races over those distances in the first half of 2015.

Then not sure, that's enough planning ahead for me.

I'll join a club too, need to pick one, equal distance from 3 clubs where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

Looks like some wet weather training this weekend!

Barely got rained on at all since training started for me in June, so can't complain.

If I make it, I'm gonna abstain from running all through November probably. I've no notions of attempting a Spring marathon either way. I am hoping once I have had a good rest and get back at it niggle free in December, I'll find I am faster than I was before and will aim to do a 22:xx parkrun around Christmas or in January. Then maybe a 47:xx 10K and a 1:4x:xx half in the Spring or Summer.

I am considering joining a club. Dunno yet.

Gettin ahead of myself though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

It's hard to imagine life after DCM!! Definitely taking a break from hard running for a while. Hoping to spend the winter in the gym, working on overall strength and flexibility. Going to hit the pool, I love swimming but haven't swam at all in 2014, I think I focused a bit too much on running and did not cross train enough. Hopefully then when I return to 'serious' running in January, I'll have a better overall strength to help me improve my running times!! I'm also hopeful that my house might get cleaned!!

So what plans have people got for after dcm? I'd advise everyone to take two weeks off completely. Some of you will need more.
    Concentrate on shorter distances? Join a club? Look towards a spring marathon? I guess that last one really depends on how it all goes on the 27th!
    Also, will some of you go on hols after the marathon or is it straight back to work on the 28th?

I am going to burn my Asics Gel Kayanos and join a Chess club :p:p

Nah, I have found a lovely 10 mile /16K route up to Saggart Village that I plan to keep running at least once a week as my longest run. Then it is the Raheny 5 in January and the the madness begins again. Might have a 'look' at the Ironman 70.3 due for August 2015 :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

I have an eye on the Ironman 70.3 too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

HelgaWard wrote: »
    It's hard to imagine life after DCM!! Definitely taking a break from hard running for a while. Hoping to spend the winter in the gym, working on overall strength and flexibility. Going to hit the pool, I love swimming but haven't swam at all in 2014, I think I focused a bit too much on running and did not cross train enough. Hopefully then when I return to 'serious' running in January, I'll have a better overall strength to help me improve my running times!! I'm also hopeful that my house might get cleaned!!

+ 1 to exactly this! looking forward to concentrating on the other stuff I love like swimming, yoga, strength training and just going for a run because I 'want' too! Will take November off and get my foot back to 100% and then start again in earnest in January :-)

in the meantime there's a 20 miler in Athlone with my name on it, now where did I put my rain jacket.... Happy weekend running folks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm straight back to work the next day. Have to work the Sunday to get the Monday off. Heading to Seafield a week later for a rest and swim, just an overnighter. Runwise, maybe take 2 weeks off. Distance, it's either back to 5/10km runs, or try a 50km with Anto in Staplestown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hah, I wish I had a day off. Am project manager for large tender which is due on 31st! So that week at work will be mental...early mornings and late nights all around. Great recovery eh! So will probably just take it easy on Monday afternoon with the OH, probably do some work too, might not make McGrattans either which is painful!

On a more running related post-DCM note, I will be targetting 5km and 10km times. A) I think my 10km is a little soft (40:30) and B) I fancy a change from the lengthy marathon!

Got me a new pair of Brooks Ghost last night...lovely shoe. It's gonna take all my discipline to only wear them for the shorter stuff in the coming month! I know I should stick with my Pegasus for the marathon etc.

Rain coming in this weekend, wouldn't mind an LSR in the rain to see how I handle it. Have only gotten properly wet twice in this entire training cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Betty2014

Hey there
    I would be very interested to hear how you got through 2012 please as I'm currently getting physio/doing stretches etc for a tight IT band ...how many miles had you logged up to beforehand? did you adapt a run/walk strategy or just go slower?
    I'm not to run this week, last run was up to 18 miles, going to try 20 next w/e if possible.
    Just wondering if you've any good advise/tips. I've struggled with it for a few weeks unknownst to myself thinking it was just general tightness!!!
    Did you wear a support/KT tape?
    Hoping to just make it through the marathon from start to finish...5 hours if poss.
    I've done 3 marathans before 4.30/4.40/4.48 - I'm not a time seeker!!
    any comments greatly appreciated!!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Betty2014

[Hey there
    I would be very interested to hear how you got through 2012 please as I'm currently getting physio/doing stretches etc for a tight IT band ...how many miles had you logged up to beforehand? did you adapt a run/walk strategy or just go slower?
    I'm not to run this week, last run was up to 18 miles, going to try 20 next w/e if possible.
    Just wondering if you've any good advise/tips. I've struggled with it for a few weeks unknownst to myself thinking it was just general tightness!!!
    Did you wear a support/KT tape?
    Hoping to just make it through the marathon from start to finish...5 hours if poss.
    I've done 3 marathans before 4.30/4.40/4.48 - I'm not a time seeker!!
    any comments greatly appreciated!!
    thanks

QUOTE=carmendub;92430837]Hey all, I have finally gotten around to posting on the thread-I have been following it from near the start of training and have been enjoying the reports, ups and downs etc from everyone-it has helped my me get through my downs! So I'm not technically a novice, having run DCM 2012 but I suffered with my ITB badly towards the last few weeks of training last time so my build up to DCM 2012 was lots of physio, foam rolling, panicking and sleepless nights but I managed to complete it with a little help from some difene. This time around I have been determined not to get injured so have been religious with my pre and post stretching, foam rolling etc and so far so good-besides falling down the stairs in work last week (don't ask-but luckily escaped with some cuts and bruises!!). Anyway 10 Miler race series was 81.58 mins (not a PB) which I wasn't happy with-had a bad day and also had hit a bit of a wall/negativity in training but I redeemed myself with a PB in the Half 1.43.48 and my motivation has been reignited so all going well I am hoping to get in under 4 hours in the Marathon. One last LSR this Sunday (after a wedding in Tyrone on Sat :-/) so hopefully complete that and then it's tapering time/trying to stay injury free. Really looking forward to DCM this time around and feeling more confident! Just wondering if anyone has any advice for the week before the marathon in terms of what to do/what not to do-ie I cycle in and out of work each day (19k roundtrip) and I go to the gym 2 days to do free weights/core stuff and then 4 days running so just wondering if I should lay off the cycling to work and gym the week before or maybe even the 2 weeks before or should I just stick with my routine??Want the legs to be totally fresh on race day! Before DCM 2012 I was injured so did very little the few weeks before unfortunately! Thanks all and look forward to keeping up with everyones logs in the run up to the big Day![/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Marathon Monday
    Vasectomy Wednesday
    Work Monday
    Running soon after :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Marathon Monday
    Vasectomy Wednesday
    Work Monday
    Running soon after :)

The world giveth and then taketh away! (I'll let you decide which is which!!)

Advertisement