Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I'll be working the next day.
    As for long term. Want to get my 5K and 10k times down significantly so will be looking for a good training plan for that.
    Depending on how Marathon goes I may consider going again next year. Would love to do one abroad somewhere.
    New York would be cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Marathon Monday
    Vasectomy Wednesday
    Work Monday
    Running soon after :)

Vasectomy sounds a bit extreme, have you considered just doing some foam rolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Vasectomy sounds a bit extreme, have you considered just doing some foam rolling?

You sadist !

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

I think i'll do the RNLI 10k in Marlay Park at the end of Nov or the Waterford Half the following week, if the body allows me. Not sure how to go about training for these or should I just try to coast by on my marathon training?

I also want to take a good chunk off my parkrun PB. I've stayed away from park run for the last 6 months or so as I don't trust myself not to race it everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ososlo wrote: »
    So what plans have people got for after dcm? I'd advise everyone to take two weeks off completely. Some of you will need more.
    Concentrate on shorter distances? Join a club? Look towards a spring marathon? I guess that last one really depends on how it all goes on the 27th!
    Also, will some of you go on hols after the marathon or is it straight back to work on the 28th?

Take it easy in November definitely. I have got the bug bad now so some cross country in December and more road 5k, 10k and maybe in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Marathon Monday
    Vasectomy Wednesday
    Work Monday

Ouch! You can let us know which is worse!

My physio bruising has only eased today. Legs and hip flexors still a bit sore to touch.

My post marathon plans - if I'm not injured (my knee was fairly fecked up after the last one) is to get faster in 2015! I'll like to do the rememberance run in nov as my dad passed away a few months ago, but it's only 2 weeks after marathon so I'll wait and see how I feel. It's only 5k, I could just take it easy.

I have a work night out on 17th but will go very easy on the alcohol. It's my birthday that weekend too so it'd be rude not to. Only drink I had in the last few months was the night of the half.

Good luck with the last big lsr's this weekend. Mine isn't till Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ok so really hope I haven't wrecked the mileage tracker as updated with my runs but it doesn't seem to have liked that much at all. It better have my running total wrong as I've recorded 344.72 miles, happy with that since June 23rd.
    I've two weekends away in November as Ososlo suggested from the start have something booked to look forward to, also the 28th off if I make it out of the house for a massage.
    I'd like to keep the miles up and run at least a 10m or HM distance once a month if possible and not get sick over Winter. Keep doing a few short runs a week anyway.
    Would like to get back swimming as haven't done it in years and do love it.
    Would love to do the Ring of Kerry next year and if you haven't watched this years cycle in the 180 second video on you tube then do, it's an amazing video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Don't do the ring of Kerry. It's a disaster zone and also isn't much of a challenge. Have a look at the Wicklow 200, Sean Kelly tour or the rebel tour if you want a good, well organised & tough cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

So what plans have people got for after dcm? I'd advise everyone to take two weeks off completely. Some of you will need more.
    Concentrate on shorter distances? Join a club? Look towards a spring marathon? I guess that last one really depends on how it all goes on the 27th!
    Also, will some of you go on hols after the marathon or is it straight back to work on the 28th?

Make up for no drinking on my birthday, a couple of days out before the marathon is probably not the best time to be binging! After two weeks of that, I'm going to concentrate on 5K and 10K. A 45min 10km and a 21ish 5km would be great. Find myself making a training plan already! :o Will probably concentrate on a heart rate based plan as I want to get fitter better.

I'm calling it now, Berlin Marathon 2015, who's with me?! :eek::D

SeanPuddin wrote: »

I'm calling it now, Berlin Marathon 2015, who's with me?! :eek::D

Can we not all do Belfast and then Berlin?? When is Belfast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I have an eye on the Ironman 70.3 too!

Me too, if it ever gets off the ground.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Don't do the ring of Kerry. It's a disaster zone and also isn't much of a challenge. Have a look at the Wicklow 200, Sean Kelly tour or the rebel tour if you want a good, well organised & tough cycle.

I've never done an organised cycle, what's wrong with Kerry? I thought it would be challenging and enjoyable?

Marathon Monday
    Vasectomy Wednesday
    Work Monday

A vasectomy? You can't beat that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

aquinn wrote: »
    I've never done an organised cycle, what's wrong with Kerry? I thought it would be challenging and enjoyable?

It's actually very flat. Combine that with 9000 Bradley wiggins wannabes and it's a long, annoying day in the saddle. By all means do it and the scenery is nice but if you want a proper challenge do a proper sportive. The ROK is now just a tick box tourist attraction spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Booked into a nice hotel for the 26th and 27th. First night for rest second night to make up for not celebrating mine and my OH's birthday. My re hydrating plan is 1 pint of water to every 3 B&Cs

Starting out I just wanted to complete this marathon with my sister to mark it off the bucket list.
    Because of chatting with everyone here I want to continue and improve my running in 10k and HM.
    Speed will never be my forte, not at this age/stage, 47 on Sunday and no alcohol, :(
    Depending on how DCM goes I might attempt another marathon, but if my OH reads this he will burn my runners!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

My post marathon plans... I'll stick with the two nights club training during the week and look forward to getting back to Parkrun. My pb is 25:47 so I would love to go sub 25 in the next few months. My kids think once the marathon is over I will be finished running forever! Seemingly, I am "always" running these days :)

Did my 20 miler this morning. Started out with a bit of stiffness in the calves which eased after a couple of miles. Headed down through Palmerstown and Chapelizod.

Started to lash along Chapelizod Road. I don't mind the rain but this is the first time I wasn't wearing a cap in the rain and I found it hard to see with it running into my eyes.

Took up the marathon route at the entrance to the park. Chesterfield Avenue was tough with the wind and rain in my face, hopefully it won't be like that on the day!

Went through Castleknock and took a few lefts to try to find my way back to the park. For a few minutes I thought I had missed the entrance back in - someone on here mentioned that last week - but I saw it and headed in.
    This is the first time I ever ran in the park. It was lovely and quiet and there were deer and squirrels running about! Loved this part of the run.

Saw the 9 mile marker on the road on a lovely downhill stretch just before I left the park (I was at 13 miles then). It hit home that I was (hopefully) going to be running past there in three weeks time doing something that I always wanted to do but never thought possible!

Went out of the park and headed home. It was still raining but thankfully it had eased off a bit. Started to get tired with a few miles to go, the pace was dropping, I was cold and dripping wet and running along the N4 didn't have the same appeal as the park!

Made it home in 3:45, I think another 6 miles would have been impossible.

Now the taper begins. In a strange, sadistic way I think I will miss my long runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carmendub

Have booked the 28th off work (lots of stairs in my work!), although my experience from last time was that I was still full of adrenalin and on a high the following day and it was 2 days after that it all hit me so I have warned everyone in work what to expect on the Wednesday! I think the hubbie is counting down the days until this is over so he can have his wife back and all coversation doesn't revolve around running, running, running!

Will continue to run a few days a week but looking forward to trying out some new sports/exercise classes etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Last real LSR done this morning also in the Phoenix Park.Knew rain was forecast so started about 730am.Was dry for first 8 then the heavens opened.Got a boost with a hello from the always friendly Caitriona McK 10 miles in who was moving at a different level to myself not surprisingly.:(
    Finished 21.5 today in 3'36@10'02" pace,to go with 23 last sat @10'11,21 in early sept @9'38" and a 17.5@9'33" in late August.Let the taper begin.Best of luck to those out tomorrow,the weather should be better!

How cool was todays run in the rain! Really enjoyed that.

Roll on Athlone - Who is heading down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

gingersnap wrote: »
    My post marathon plans... I'll stick with the two nights club training during the week and look forward to getting back to Parkrun. My pb is 25:47 so I would love to go sub 25 in the next few months. My kids think once the marathon is over I will be finished running forever! Seemingly, I am "always" running these days :)

Did my 20 miler this morning. Started out with a bit of stiffness in the calves which eased after a couple of miles. Headed down through Palmerstown and Chapelizod.

Started to lash along Chapelizod Road. I don't mind the rain but this is the first time I wasn't wearing a cap in the rain and I found it hard to see with it running into my eyes.

Took up the marathon route at the entrance to the park. Chesterfield Avenue was tough with the wind and rain in my face, hopefully it won't be like that on the day!

Went through Castleknock and took a few lefts to try to find my way back to the park. For a few minutes I thought I had missed the entrance back in - someone on here mentioned that last week - but I saw it and headed in.
    This is the first time I ever ran in the park. It was lovely and quiet and there were deer and squirrels running about! Loved this part of the run.

Saw the 9 mile marker on the road on a lovely downhill stretch just before I left the park (I was at 13 miles then). It hit home that I was (hopefully) going to be running past there in three weeks time doing something that I always wanted to do but never thought possible!

Went out of the park and headed home. It was still raining but thankfully it had eased off a bit. Started to get tired with a few miles to go, the pace was dropping, I was cold and dripping wet and running along the N4 didn't have the same appeal as the park!

Made it home in 3:45, I think another 6 miles would have been impossible.

Now the taper begins. In a strange, sadistic way I think I will miss my long runs!

Classic post. It's this attitude in me that make ppl look confused when I start talking about training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Did a very wet 20m LSR this morning with YourPaceOrMine.

Someone very wise (can't remember who) said many, many pages ago that the 1st 20m LSR is tough, the 2nd is easier & the 3rd is easier & faster and that's exactly what we found today. We thought we might try the last 4m at PMP but when I uploaded my splits I found that from 10m onwards we had sped up (a little) without really noticing it! Happy days!

The heavens opened just as we set off so anytime we had to stop to cross the road I was trying to wring out the excess water from my shorts but to no avail. Despite applying vaseline this morning I have chafing. :eek: My lovely 5 pocket shorts that can carry gels, jelly beans, tissues, €2 coin & my phone (all in separate pockets), that I have been wearing all summer with no issues, that are now my lucky shorts cos I PBed in the HM while wearing them chafe when wet!!! :eek::eek:

What do I do? Plan a dry day outfit & a wet day outfit? What happens if it rains half way through- there are no telephone boxes anymore to do a quick change a la Superman. Decisions, decisions......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

A word of advice if ye are going to a restaurant or pub after marathon make sure it does nt involve stairs. I made this mistake last year and I nearly had to go up and down the stairs on my ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I'm heading down for a look anyways! :) Think there is a few from here doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

martyoo wrote: »
    I'm heading down for a look anyways! :) Think there is a few from here doing it.
    How cool was todays run in the rain! Really enjoyed that.

jealous.com. I hate the rain, HATE hate hate, am dreading Sunday in Athlone because I'm gonna get sopping to the core wet, I need to turn the hate to love, any ideas people??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Me too, if it ever gets off the ground.

After this 26.2 mile Marathon madness a Half Ironman 70.3 will be handy! 2K skinny dip, following by a 80-90K 'jaunt' on the bike following by a Half Marathon........I laugh at the puny-ness of this event!!:D:D

P.S. I did 2 Sprint Duathlons earlier this year (3.5K Run-20K Cycle-3.5K Run) and I was wrecked...so I am now a pro in this event....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

SamforMayo wrote: »
    A word of advice if ye are going to a restaurant or pub after marathon make sure it does nt involve stairs. I made this mistake last year and I nearly had to go up and down the stairs on my ass!

McGrattans has no stairs ;)

Quick Q, is the 20th too late to book in for a torture treatment of sports massage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

menoscemo wrote: »
    McGrattans has no stairs ;)

Non Dub question, is McGrattan's a meet up place for boardsies or is it just the closest place to the finish line? At times I feel like I'm running this just to have an excuse for a nice pint.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No London 2015 for me, I might try do Chicago this time next year instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Non Dub question, is McGrattan's a meet up place for boardsies or is it just the closest place to the finish line? At times I feel like I'm running this just to have an excuse for a nice pint.

Both ;)

Advertisement