Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

aquinn wrote: »
    Quick Q, is the 20th too late to book in for a torture treatment of sports massage?

Depends, have you gotten one before? Do you know how you react to them?

I'm booked in on Thursday before but I know I tend to be ok within a day or two..i Think general guidance is 5/6 days. so 20th is probably grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »
    No London 2015 for me, I might try do Chicago this time next year instead.
    yeah I just got a rejection email too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

crisco10 wrote: »
    Depends, have you gotten one before? Do you know how you react to them?

I'm booked in on Thursday before but I know I tend to be ok within a day or two..i Think general guidance is 5/6 days. so 20th is probably grand.

Thanks. I've had one with him before, this is the guy that I thought my calves were going to snap with the pain of it last time. Went on the Friday and ran 15 on the Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Quick Q, is the 20th too late to book in for a torture treatment of sports massage?
    Personally, I wouldn't go for a torture treatment. You'll be on a taper so won't need a session like that. My chiro, Paul Tansey in Dundrum offers a specially tailored pre-event massage. Any time the week before should be beneficial.

What is the average number of long slow runs done? Should I be worried: I have done an 18m fast finish, a half marathon race (equiv 18m run so I'm told), a lsr 20m and plan an 18m fast finish this weekend. That will be it for long runs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

A vasectomy? You can't beat that...

Well you've to leave it for a few days anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Booooooo

Also got the kindly feck off email from London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

A week is plenty of time to be honest I have advised clients any time up until Wednesday/Thursday is fine for deep work as depending on the person it can normally take between 24-72 hours to get full benefits.

If you were getting more invasive work done (such as dry needling or that sort of work) I would say 7-10 days personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Firedance wrote: »
    jealous.com. I hate the rain, HATE hate hate, am dreading Sunday in Athlone because I'm gonna get sopping to the core wet, I need to turn the hate to love, any ideas people??!!!

Just tell yourself...it's free water! No charges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ososlo wrote: »
    So what plans have people got for after dcm? I'd advise everyone to take two weeks off completely. Some of you will need more.
    Concentrate on shorter distances? Join a club? Look towards a spring marathon? I guess that last one really depends on how it all goes on the 27th!
    Also, will some of you go on hols after the marathon or is it straight back to work on the 28th?

What, there's life after the 27th?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nicsx wrote: »
    Did a very wet 20m LSR this morning with YourPaceOrMine.

Someone very wise (can't remember who) said many, many pages ago that the 1st 20m LSR is tough, the 2nd is easier & the 3rd is easier & faster and that's exactly what we found today. We thought we might try the last 4m at PMP but when I uploaded my splits I found that from 10m onwards we had sped up (a little) without really noticing it! Happy days!

The heavens opened just as we set off so anytime we had to stop to cross the road I was trying to wring out the excess water from my shorts but to no avail. Despite applying vaseline this morning I have chafing. :eek: My lovely 5 pocket shorts that can carry gels, jelly beans, tissues, €2 coin & my phone (all in separate pockets), that I have been wearing all summer with no issues, that are now my lucky shorts cos I PBed in the HM while wearing them chafe when wet!!! :eek::eek:

What do I do? Plan a dry day outfit & a wet day outfit? What happens if it rains half way through- there are no telephone boxes anymore to do a quick change a la Superman. Decisions, decisions......
    Great running you two!
    Regarding the chaffing, that's a bit of a bummer to discover at this stage. Where is the chaffing? Could you sew some material over the offending area of the shorts? Or sew them or cut them some way or other?
    you have another few medium length runs to practice another pair but if it's not raining you won't be able to test them properly :(
    Try bodyglide perhaps with current shorts? Might work a bit better.

annapr wrote: »
    What, there's life after the 27th?!?

Believe it or not - absolutely! Hard to see that now I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Is bodyglide not recommended as better than vaseline in case it does rain? I think so.

Is bodyglide not recommended as better than vaseline in case it does rain? I think so.

Yeah I would think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Where can I get Bodyglide I have been looking for it and people are looking at me as if I am mad. Tried Boots , Elvery's etc

Where can I get Bodyglide I have been looking for it and people are looking at me as if I am mad. Tried Boots , Elvery's etc

I got it at the Amphibian King stand at the expo. You could get it in their store if near one. Try any of the other sports shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Looking for advice 2013

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    What is the average number of long slow runs done? Should I be worried: I have done an 18m fast finish, a half marathon race (equiv 18m run so I'm told), a lsr 20m and plan an 18m fast finish this weekend. That will be it for long runs...

Dubgal,

So far I've done two 13.3 LSR a half marathon race, a 16m LSR, an 19 mile LSR and I'm doing my last LSR tomorrow which will be 20miles. I hope it's enough for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Just home from work catching up on posts!

I think I'd like to join a club post marathon and try work on my speed and knock time off my shorter distances. Will see about another marathon next year depending on how this goes and various other bits and pieces. In the more short term I booked the Tuesday off work :)

Disgusted today on the training front. Had been planning my 20 miler tomorrow but I now have a bloody cold. I could chance it but I think I'd be better leaving it. Even Sunday could be a better option or Monday/Tuesday after work. Not ideal but better that than doing it and turning into a disaster. I had a flat tyre on the bike for the start of the week and I'm convinced* I got it on the stupid bus with people hocking and sniffling all around me.

*Disclaimer - I have no medical evidence to support my theory - only my irrational annoyance at being stuck on the bus while cyclists whizzed by combined with being surrounded by sick people.

Now where's that lemsip......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Plans for after DCM14, well the following week I am in Madrid to see Liverpool hammer some relatively successful team then a few days later in Liverpool to see us hammer Chelsea. Its going to be a good week and will be great to not have to worry about what I am eating or drinking.

Running wise I am not sure, I want to work on speed in 2015 and not be such a slave to the mileage. Although a friend is trying to talk me into training with him for a ultra marathon. I may also join a club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I'll be happy if we can just scrape a 1-0 win over WBA at the weekend and get back to winning ways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I'm off work on the Tuesday too but that week is midterm break! Think ill book a babysitter and go for a swim and sauna.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Casey78 wrote: »
    I'll be happy if we can just scrape a 1-0 win over WBA at the weekend and get back to winning ways!

Going to that aswell.

Dubgal,

So far I've done two 13.3 LSR a half marathon race, a 16m LSR, an 19 mile LSR and I'm doing my last LSR tomorrow which will be 20miles. I hope it's enough for me too.
    Thanks! We won't be burned out on the plus side :) I suppose it's normal to think at this stage 'could have done this, should have done that' etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Dubgal,

Great running BTW!
    Did 17 miles lsr last weekend, a 9 and a 6.5 mile this week.
    Going to do a 19 (30k) this weekend, maybe a HM mid next week, 20 (32k) next weekend followed by a 10, a 6 and a 3 taper over the last week. 6 runs left to go before the DCM.
    Hopefully this whole fresh legs and "taper" thing kicks in for me at 20-22 miles on the big day!! Might 'have a go' at sub 4 hours if the next 2 weeks go well.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Dubgal,

Great running BTW!
    Going to do a 19 (30k) this weekend, maybe a HM mid next week, 20 (32k) next weekend followed by a 10, a 6 and a 3 taper over the last week. 6 runs left to go before the DCM.
    Hopefully this whole fresh legs and "taper" thing kicks in for me at 20-22 miles on the big day!! Might 'have a go'sub 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corrib man

Looking forward to athlone now, probably the last long one for me, wind forecast to pick up😩! Bring it on and all those so called climbs!!

smashiner wrote: »
    Great running BTW!
    Hopefully this whole fresh legs and "taper" thing kicks in for me at 20-22 miles on the big day!! Might 'have a go'sub 4 hours

Hi smashiner
    I think you're planning on doing too much next week:)
    Just to compare, this is how the weekend lsrs go for the next 3 weeks on the 2 plans we're following here:

Boards Plan:
    14 lsr (5 mile midweek medium length run)
    8 miles
    2 miles (optional)

Hal Plan:
    12 lsr (8 mile medium run)
    8 miles
    rest

I wouldn't do more than 14/15 next weekend an I'd cut the medium mid week run too. We're really tapering back from Monday onwards. You wanna be super fresh for the big day :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I got out in the rain for a nice run, including 1 x 15 min and 1 x 10 min @ Marathon Pace. 9 miles in total.

It was supposed to be 8 but I didn't fancy a walk home in the rain so kept running till I got home.

Long run tomorrow, need to decide how far, 18,20 or 22.

I'll definitely keep the marathon pace stuff away from tomorrows run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I'm another of the people back in work on Tuesday morning after DCM. I kind of suspect the bigger problem will be not the Tuesday but the end of that week...

Plans for post-DCM .... a week or two of just the occasional 3miler, then I get back into training properly. I want to improve my 5k, 10k and half times over the following few months (want to get the half under 1hr45 and to knock a minute off my 5k time). I think I'm going to still do a 15/16mile run every 2weeks, and also do a bit higher weekly mileage than in the past. Have really loved the extra-long runs of this training to my great surprise (was never expecting that!).

Even though I started the marathon training by dipping my toe in very gently, and only planned to do one in my life, have really enjoyed the training and I think there will be plenty of marathons in my future :-)

Did 1hour of the 'fat burning' program on the elliptical this evening :-(, my first elliptical workout.... bit of an incline and some mixing-up of resistance. And I only covered 8k in the whole hour! I sweated a huge amount but I think that was mostly due to being inside. These machines are no substitute for the job of outdoors running ... I'm going to try to do 3hours on it tomorrow though ... I had been dying to do a second 22miler this weekend, so I'm going to replicate as best I can.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi smashiner
    I think you're planning on doing too much next week:)
    Just to compare, this is how the weekend lsrs go for the next 3 weeks on the 2 plans we're following here:

Boards Plan:
    14 lsr (5 mile midweek medium length run)
    8 miles
    2 miles (optional)

Hal Plan:
    12 lsr (8 mile medium run)
    8 miles
    rest

I wouldn't do more than 14/15 next weekend an I'd cut the medium mid week run too. We're really tapering back from Monday onwards. You wanna be super fresh for the big day :)

Cheers Ososlo,
    Yeah, probably planning a bit too much, just want to ready for the big day. Might cut it back a bit and reduce some of the distances mid week. The plan in Irish Runner calls for a lsr of 18/20 for this weekend and next which gives 14 days rest to the DCM, which I felt was OK ish?
    Hopefully the niggly right knee and dodgy right ankle don't explode in the meantime :-) :-)
    Thanks 4 the advice.

Advertisement