Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi smashiner
    I think you're planning on doing too much next week:)
    Just to compare, this is how the weekend lsrs go for the next 3 weeks on the 2 plans we're following here:

Boards Plan:
    14 lsr (5 mile midweek medium length run)
    8 miles
    2 miles (optional)

Hal Plan:
    12 lsr (8 mile medium run)
    8 miles
    rest

I wouldn't do more than 14/15 next weekend an I'd cut the medium mid week run too. We're really tapering back from Monday onwards. You wanna be super fresh for the big day :)

Cheers Ososlo,
    Yeah, probably planning a bit too much, just want to ready for the big day. Might cut it back a bit and reduce some of the distances mid week. The plan in Irish Runner calls for a lsr of 18/20 for this weekend and next which gives 14 days rest to the DCM, which I felt was OK ish?
    Hopefully the niggly right knee and dodgy right ankle don't explode in the meantime :-) :-)
    Thanks 4 the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I got it at the Amphibian King stand at the expo. You could get it in their store if near one. Try any of the other sports shops.

I think Vaseline is just as good and way cheaper. And my live-in experienced marathon runner says so too... 10x Cheaper, 4x easier to apply and twice as good is his verdict. Do the math on that yourself!

Also sudocreme (known to all mothers) is brilliant post chafing.

All I need to do now is recommend Vicks and I'm the ultimate Irish mammy.

And Ososlo, do we have to tell you everything? As in, where's the chafing? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

aquinn wrote: »

Denis160. Are you any better now after advice given earlier?

@aquinn, much much better thanks, think I just needed a good shaking & a bit of cop on :). Ran 20 miles this morning in a beautiful drizzly rain, really enjoyed it, looking foward to next weeks plan.
    plans for post dcm - a sticky toffee creamy cooler from costa x 3. Followed by big beautiful bottles of cider that night or the next. Like you joleigh mine are off school for mid term, but thankfully the twins have crech tuesday & thursday so I'll book a thai body massage for 1 of those days & spend the other at work.
    Running wise, will definitely do waterford half in december, followed by a few more next year. Ideally would like to do some speed work & improve times even a wee bit. If this goes well I am thinking of another marathon next year, i would love one abroad to see what that's like.
    @laois man, do you get a sports massage off star himself or has he someone else in the practice that does it?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Just home from work catching up on posts!

I think I'd like to join a club post marathon and try work on my speed and knock time off my shorter distances. Will see about another marathon next year depending on how this goes and various other bits and pieces. In the more short term I booked the Tuesday off work :)

Disgusted today on the training front. Had been planning my 20 miler tomorrow but I now have a bloody cold. I could chance it but I think I'd be better leaving it. Even Sunday could be a better option or Monday/Tuesday after work. Not ideal but better that than doing it and turning into a disaster. I had a flat tyre on the bike for the start of the week and I'm convinced* I got it on the stupid bus with people hocking and sniffling all around me.

*Disclaimer - I have no medical evidence to support my theory - only my irrational annoyance at being stuck on the bus while cyclists whizzed by combined with being surrounded by sick people.

Now where's that lemsip......

Sounds like another premature taper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

smashiner wrote: »
    Cheers Ososlo,
    Yeah, probably planning a bit too much, just want to ready for the big day. Might cut it back a bit and reduce some of the distances mid week. The plan in Irish Runner calls for a lsr of 18/20 for this weekend and next which gives 14 days rest to the DCM, which I felt was OK ish?
    Hopefully the niggly right knee and dodgy right ankle don't explode in the meantime :-) :-)
    Thanks 4 the advice.
    To me it seems like a lot but if it's in the plan.... I don't want to be interfering.
    I don't know anything about the plan but I'm sure it was devised by someone a lot more knowledgeable than me;) I'd do the 18 next weekend instead of the 20 for definite though.
    Trust in the plan!
    With the niggly stuff I'd be inclined to cut back a bit in saying that!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    I think Vaseline is just as good and way cheaper. And my live-in experienced marathon runner says so too... 10x Cheaper, 4x easier to apply and twice as good is his verdict. Do the math on that yourself!

Also sudocreme (known to all mothers) is brilliant post chafing.

All I need to do now is recommend Vicks and I'm the ultimate Irish mammy.

And Ososlo, do we have to tell you everything? As in, where's the chafing? ;)

Yeah I was thinking about that later and feel it was a little intrusive alright! I was just trying to help her out with re-moddling her shorts so they won't chafe:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hey! I just looked at the mileage tracker and mine is gone MENTAL!!! Was o about 320 miles yesterday and have gone over 3000 now!! I wish this was true but alas I think its a crazy excel bug!!!

Mimojo wrote: »
    Hey! I just looked at the mileage tracker and mine is gone MENTAL!!! Was o about 320 miles yesterday and have gone over 3000 now!! I wish this was true but alas I think its a crazy excel bug!!!

ok, I think someone in earlier post today said something about messing it up by accident. I can't fix it but I'll get someone to look at it later. If anyone's expert enough to tackle it please be my guest!

Just home from work catching up on posts!

I think I'd like to join a club post marathon and try work on my speed and knock time off my shorter distances. Will see about another marathon next year depending on how this goes and various other bits and pieces. In the more short term I booked the Tuesday off work :)

Disgusted today on the training front. Had been planning my 20 miler tomorrow but I now have a bloody cold. I could chance it but I think I'd be better leaving it. Even Sunday could be a better option or Monday/Tuesday after work. Not ideal but better that than doing it and turning into a disaster. I had a flat tyre on the bike for the start of the week and I'm convinced* I got it on the stupid bus with people hocking and sniffling all around me.

*Disclaimer - I have no medical evidence to support my theory - only my irrational annoyance at being stuck on the bus while cyclists whizzed by combined with being surrounded by sick people.

Now where's that lemsip......

Hope you feel better soon. Definitely don't tackle 20 miles unless feeling good. You've most of the work done at this stage and I don't think you've missed many training runs at all so don't worry. Get well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Some inspiration

marathon.jpg

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Some inspiration

marathon.jpg

Super Pic, very inspiring, pumped up for this thing now!,

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Some inspiration

marathon.jpg

Super Pic, very inspiring, pumped up for this thing now!,

^^^^^^ Jaysus that's a bit cringy L_M:) Kidding:D:D

Anyhew, while we're on the subject of inspiration, it's a good idea to have a little mantra in yer head on the big day so that if things get tough you can repeat it over and over to yourself in your head to give you a bit of a lift and to take your minds off the task in hand.

I made up a little ditty last year and any of you that want can borrow it until I do my next marathon:D You have to promise to give it back!

I am healthy
    I am strong
    I can do this
    All day long:D

It has a nice rhythm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I'm taking a look at the mileage tracker issue, leave it with me.

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    I'm taking a look at the mileage tracker issue, leave it with me.

Is there nothing you can't fix Sean! Cars, GPS watches and now Google Docs!
    Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

denis160 wrote: »
    @laois man, do you get a sports massage off star himself or has he someone else in the practice that does it?

All of them there do them but there's a lady called Aisling who specializes in them. She's good. But she's heavily pregnant, due in 3 or 4 weeks, and so she is only working bits and pieces at the moment. Anthony himself will also come in for a few digs at you for the craic if he's there.

I can PM you her mobile number if you like?

Is there nothing you can't fix Sean! Cars, GPS watches and now Google Docs!
    Cheers!

It's in a bit of a mess at the moment. Thought it would be a two minute job but it'll take a bit longer, will do it later when no more kids are up...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bungalow

20mile run in the morning dreading it as my calves have been feeling really tight every run I've done run I've done lately and really not enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

annapr wrote: »
    Sounds like another premature taper :)

I know it doesn't compare to the perilous man flu that our men folk must endure but I won't be defeated by the common cold....I will be fit for this run before taper starts properly....now I better go check what the recommended daily limit of lemsip is :)

I know it doesn't compare to the perilous man flu that our men folk must endure but I won't be defeated by the common cold....I will be fit for this run before taper starts properly....now I better go check what the recommended daily limit of lemsip is :)

Don't forget the Vicks and I hope you feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

denis160 wrote: »
    @aquinn, much much better thanks, think I just needed a good shaking & a bit of cop on :). Ran 20 miles this morning in a beautiful drizzly rain, really enjoyed it, looking foward to next weeks plan.

Great to hear that. Well done :)

adrian522 wrote: »
    I got out in the rain for a nice run, including 1 x 15 min and 1 x 10 min @ Marathon Pace. 9 miles in total.

It was supposed to be 8 but I didn't fancy a walk home in the rain so kept running till I got home.

Long run tomorrow, need to decide how far, 18,20 or 22.

I'll definitely keep the marathon pace stuff away from tomorrows run though.

Plenty of time for recovery if you do 20 or 22.
    If you haven't done 22 yet, it's something you could consider. This is just advice to you as I know your plan and mileage, not general advice.

I *think* that's the mileage tracker fixed. Please check your mileage and let me know if there's still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hope you feel better soon. Definitely don't tackle 20 miles unless feeling good. You've most of the work done at this stage and I don't think you've missed many training runs at all so don't worry. Get well!

Thanks Ososlo. Yeah just kind of wanted to get my confidence back on track after last week. Hopefully be grand for it over the next couple of days.

On the mantra front I find "I'm feeling fresh, and I'm feeling strong" is what I mutter away to myself

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Plenty of time for recovery if you do 20 or 22.
    If you haven't done 22 yet, it's something you could consider. This is just advice to you as I know your plan and mileage, not general advice.

I did one 22 mile run the week before the half marathon I think.

I'll head out and see how I'm feeling around mile 20 I think. Feeling good at the moment and I've found I've recovered quite well from the long runs.

Thanks for your advice as always.

if you've done one before the half - then no need for it.
    20 will suffice - but see how you are getting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I *think* that's the mileage tracker fixed. Please check your mileage and let me know if there's still an issue.

Your an excel legend Sean, back to normal again, my 3000 miles are gone!!!

Mimojo wrote: »
    Your an excel legend Sean, back to normal again, my 3000 miles are gone!!!

That's not a good compliment but no problem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

bungalow wrote: »
    20mile run in the morning dreading it as my calves have been feeling really tight every run I've done run I've done lately and really not enjoyable

Dont do that 20 miler. Tight calves is not something you mess with, especially not to the tune of 20 miles. Dont run for a few days, let them loosen out. Trust me you won't lose any fitness, your legs will be a lot better for the break.

• Advertisement

That's not a good compliment but no problem :D

Great Family Guy/Simpsons video, love them both in equal measure....

Favourite Simpson quote is when Homer is asked by the Moventarium Cult "which would you prefer, eternal happiness or beer?"..... To which he replies "what kind of beer?".......legend.

I miss beer soooo much, roll on Monday the 27th afternoon where beer is back on Smashiners menu.........hmmm can taste it now
    :-)

Advertisement