Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    That's not a good compliment but no problem :D

Great Family Guy/Simpsons video, love them both in equal measure....

Favourite Simpson quote is when Homer is asked by the Moventarium Cult "which would you prefer, eternal happiness or beer?"..... To which he replies "what kind of beer?".......legend.

I miss beer soooo much, roll on Monday the 27th afternoon where beer is back on Smashiners menu.........hmmm can taste it now
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great running you two!
    Regarding the chaffing, that's a bit of a bummer to discover at this stage. Where is the chaffing? Could you sew some material over the offending area of the shorts? Or sew them or cut them some way or other?
    you have another few medium length runs to practice another pair but if it's not raining you won't be able to test them properly :(
    Try bodyglide perhaps with current shorts? Might work a bit better.

Good idea re a bit of stitching on the shorts- I'll get the sewing machine out & stitch down the flapping seam. I'll also head to AK this afternoon when my chauffeuring duties for the kids' activities end. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

tunguska wrote: »
    Dont do that 20 miler. Tight calves is not something you mess with, especially not to the tune of 20 miles. Dont run for a few days, let them loosen out. Trust me you won't lose any fitness, your legs will be a lot better for the break.

Think that's good advice from Tunguska ... so some calf stretches and maybe try to do a bit of self-massage/foam-rolling. I did a long run on a tight calf last weekend (well, I also had a twinge on the inside of the top calf) and as a result I'll be off the roads for at least 10 days and maybe more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

I did my second training run back since injury yesterday. It was 7 miles in total @ 10.55 pace per mile which was quicker than I've had the chance to run in ages. I did feel a small bit of pain in both knees from my patellar tendonitis so decided to stop.
    I could of easily carried on but at this stage I did not want to do any more damage to it and instead will continue doing my strengthening exercises around the knee before going for continuing training on Monday and Thursday, although at this stage I am not sure of what distance. I've decided on resting two days between each run to help my knees however I know time is running out to get long slow runs in so a fine juggling act is needed.

It was nice to just get out and run a decent distance again without stopping and it gave me the chance to enjoy a cracking view of the sea around Portmarnock with huge black clouds in the background making it appear like the calm before the storm!

I'm still unsure as to when my Minor Knee op will take place, but I now have a consultation on Thursday in Santry. The Doctor I saw on Wednesday said that it shouldn't be a problem to delay it till after DCM but it would be nice to know 100% but here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Just back from 20 FANTASTIC miles. I'm so delighted. I left the house and thought I'd freezing. It was cold. Was tempted to put on a rain jacket but thankfully didn't and stuck with you won't have it on race day! Plus Ososlo will kill you as it's not your race outfit.
    Was cold for the first miles and wish I'd a headband. Did the route down to O'Connell St, Quays and into the Park. Thanks to be lovely man and his beautiful smile as I puffed it up the hill entrance. That helped. It then got me worried that I'd done all my training runs on my own and never had to told a conversation so wasn't sure I'd be able for this at all. No map and as I left the Park a group of 5 men were up ahead of me that looked like they had the same plan as me. I am so grateful for them and to them as I followed them, on their heels from Castleknock back into the Park when I finally started to talk to them. Stayed with them until heading into Inchicore. I kept going and they'd a mini-break. Would to have loved to have stuck with them but I was determined not to stop this week after the messing last week. I took jellies and two gels. Insides were fine. The wind was hard going but eventually forgot about that. Legs were tired from about mile 12.
    Aim was for 18 but decided to do the 20 as really felt great. Legs are tired now and knees which they wouldn't normally be. A really great run with only two mishaps, a dog near collided with me in the park as he was busy chasing his owner on a bike and that jolted me sideways which was a shock and then slipped on puke outside Quinns and nearly lost both knees so that was really worrying and sore.
    Wore new runners for their first long run and they were grand. Noticed soles of feet were tired at the end and legs cold still at the end but sticking with these shorts. The run sleeves are really brilliant for keeping you warm, so handy.
    So happy:
    Time: 3:08:48
    Moving Time: 3:08:37
    Elapsed Time: 3:10:23
    Avg Pace: 9:26 min/mi
    Summary 3:08:48.2 20.01 9:26
    1 8:47.1 1.00 8:47
    2 9:17.0 1.00 9:17
    3 9:42.3 1.00 9:42
    4 9:06.0 1.00 9:06
    5 9:27.3 1.00 9:27
    6 9:13.9 1.00 9:14
    7 9:30.6 1.00 9:31
    8 9:41.3 1.00 9:41
    9 9:36.6 1.00 9:37
    10 10:04.1 1.00 10:04
    11 9:44.7 1.00 9:45
    12 9:05.2 1.00 9:05
    13 9:33.1 1.00 9:33
    14 9:30.2 1.00 9:30
    15 9:32.4 1.00 9:32
    16 9:24.3 1.00 9:24
    17 9:25.6 1.00 9:26
    18 9:35.8 1.00 9:36
    19 8:52.1 1.00 8:52
    20 9:35.8 1.00 9:36

Now all I have to do is get hair cut and coloured and head down the country to a wedding afters!
    Need lunch, catch up on posts and a nap.
    Enjoy your runs and to those doing Athlone.
    If the 5 men are here THANK YOU! Running with people is a great way for distraction and not watching the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

aquinn wrote: »
    Just back from 20 FANTASTIC miles. I'm so delighted. I left the house and thought I'd freezing. It was cold. Was tempted to put on a rain jacket but thankfully didn't and stuck with you won't have it on race day! Plus Ososlo will kill you as it's not your race outfit.
    Was cold for the first miles and wish I'd a headband. Did the route down to O'Connell St, Quays and into the Park. Thanks to be lovely man and his beautiful smile as I puffed it up the hill entrance. That helped. It then got me worried that I'd done all my training runs on my own and never had to told a conversation so wasn't sure I'd be able for this at all. No map and as I left the Park a group of 5 men were up ahead of me that looked like they had the same plan as me. I am so grateful for them and to them as I followed them, on their heels from Castleknock back into the Park when I finally started to talk to them. Stayed with them until heading into Inchicore. I kept going and they'd a mini-break. Would to have loved to have stuck with them but I was determined not to stop this week after the messing last week. I took jellies and two gels. Insides were fine. The wind was hard going but eventually forgot about that. Legs were tired from about mile 12.
    Aim was for 18 but decided to do the 20 as really felt great. Legs are tired now and knees which they wouldn't normally be. A really great run with only two mishaps, a dog near collided with me in the park as he was busy chasing his owner on a bike and that jolted me sideways which was a shock and then slipped on puke outside Quinns and nearly lost both knees so that was really worrying and sore.
    Wore new runners for their first long run and they were grand. Noticed soles of feet were tired at the end and legs cold still at the end but sticking with these shorts. The run sleeves are really brilliant for keeping you warm, so handy.
    So happy:
    Time: 3:08:48
    Moving Time: 3:08:37
    Elapsed Time: 3:10:23
    Avg Pace: 9:26 min/mi
    Summary 3:08:48.2 20.01 9:26
    1 8:47.1 1.00 8:47
    2 9:17.0 1.00 9:17
    3 9:42.3 1.00 9:42
    4 9:06.0 1.00 9:06
    5 9:27.3 1.00 9:27
    6 9:13.9 1.00 9:14
    7 9:30.6 1.00 9:31
    8 9:41.3 1.00 9:41
    9 9:36.6 1.00 9:37
    10 10:04.1 1.00 10:04
    11 9:44.7 1.00 9:45
    12 9:05.2 1.00 9:05
    13 9:33.1 1.00 9:33
    14 9:30.2 1.00 9:30
    15 9:32.4 1.00 9:32
    16 9:24.3 1.00 9:24
    17 9:25.6 1.00 9:26
    18 9:35.8 1.00 9:36
    19 8:52.1 1.00 8:52
    20 9:35.8 1.00 9:36

Now all I have to do is get hair cut and coloured and head down the country to a wedding afters!
    Need lunch, catch up on posts and a nap.
    Enjoy your runs and to those doing Athlone.
    If the 5 men are here THANK YOU! Running with people is a great way for distraction and not watching the clock.

Well done aquinn :) your post run buzz is overflowing through the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Well done aquinn :) your post run buzz is overflowing through the post!

+1. Fantastic running!
    Enjoy the evening!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

20 Miles, avg pace 9:29

Worryingly, my HR seemed to increase a fair but in the last 2 to 3 miles. Maybe a sign of over training or something, I'm not sure.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203047389

Also realised as I went through the Park the the Simon Fun run is on today which means it is the two year anniversary of my first ever race. A race that I loved, even if I dry-retched the whole way up Khyber yet still finished in a great time and took 3 mins then off last year. So running two years and now 23 days to DCM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

adrian522 wrote: »

Worryingly, my HR seemed to increase a fair but in the last 2 to 3 miles. Maybe a sign of over training or something, I'm not sure.

Do you have the HR data link (Never used Strava so it may be staring me in the face, apologies if so)

Might it be a case of possible Cardiac drift?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »

I watched my heart rate like a hawk for 12 months prior to DCM 2013. I monitored it on every single run. Strange things started happening it from early October on last year. The more I worried about it the higher it got. I was a wreck worrying about it in the lead up to DCM.

If I can give you one piece of advice it would be to just ignore it. Don't start worrying about it and googling overtraining and everything that goes with it. Back off the effort if maintaining a particular pace proves difficult on any of your runs but just don't start worrying about it.
    It's only one run anyways. You can start looking deeper into the specifics of hr training after DCM but for now I'd just leave it..... Just my 2 cent..
    I wish someone had said that to me this time last year...

Also realised as I went through the Park the the Simon Fun run is on today which means it is the two year anniversary of my first ever race. A race that I loved, even if I dry-retched the whole way up Khyber yet still finished in a great time and took 3 mins then off last year. So running two years and now 23 days to DCM.

Super running aquinn, u will fly it on the day!

Itching to do my lsr tomorrow after reading ur post. I have to paint the sitting room magnolia first and put up new curtain poles today to get brownie points for dissapearing for 3 hours tomorrow :-)

Bet'ch Mo Farah didn't have his overalls on the day before London 2012 .........!!

Super running aquinn, u will fly it on the day!

Itching to do my lsr tomorrow after reading ur post. I have to paint the sitting room magnolia first and put up new curtain poles today to get brownie points for dissapearing for 3 hours tomorrow :-)

Bet'ch Mo Farah didn't have his overalls on the day before London 2012 .........!!

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    I'm taking a look at the mileage tracker issue, leave it with me.

So I did wreck it. I'm terribly sorry, not intentional. Apologies to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

TAPER TIME!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ecoli wrote: »
    Do you have the HR data link (Never used Strava so it may be staring me in the face, apologies if so)

Might it be a case of possible Cardiac drift?

Here it is on Garmin connect. Click on splits and scroll over to the right. HR is as a percentage of max:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/605004618

Ososlo, I'm not really worried about it, just something I've noticed on some of my long runs. It may also indicate a lack of endurance.

I'm more concerned about my shoes, I bought a pair of Saucony Ride 7 with the hope of doing the marathon in them.

When I use them on a long run I've been confronted with bleeding toes when I take off my socks. It's not particularly painful during the run but the toe box does feel tight. I may have to re think my choice of shoes for DCM. Kinvara 5 is another option, they have nearly 250 miles in them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

What a post aquinn! You'll have the rest of us psyched for our 20 milers now :-) I'm going to head out for a couple of slow miles as its such a lovely day & looking forward to posting the T word after tomorrows lsr!!

Were nearly there guys....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah the taper will drive ye all mental:).

20 miles LSR will be a breeze compared to wanting to run lsrs and having to rest. Have ye all warned yer families whats about to happen in the next 3 weeks?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Just in from my first ever 20mile run, really happy to have got it done and did so in 3:09:21
    Didn't need a gel till mile 12 and only used two in total. Had a good week food and sleep-wise and hydrated well last few days too.
    Feel a lot more comfortable now about the full distance as could definitely gone further but reached the car right on 32km.
    Not going to be able to run next weekend as doing the Great Fjord Swim on the Sat but thinking of getting maybe a 10miler done on the Sunday. Mind totally at ease now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So done and dusted with my 20 mile LSR. Very happy with today..

I usually take my long runs in the park or a long circuit i have from home up the canal and around the back of Tallaght. Decided today to do from mile 3-18 of the DCM route.

Started out nice and slow and made my way to the park from Terenure. was up to 4 miles as I entered the park, so close enough to what we will be doing on the day.
    Didn't feel the drag up chesterfield avenue at all.
    Next bit of noticeable mention is the hill past Chapelizod, again not much to write home about.. hit it at 11 miles and no bother!
    Another small hill under the railway bridge a mile or so later, again not too steep and over before you even think about it.

The most noticeable stretch I found was the Dolphins barn to Crumlin hospital bit.. it it a slight incline for what seems like 2 miles or so.. I felt I had to put a bit more effort in there.. After that its all flat back to Terenure!

So 20.10 miles averaging 10:16 p/m. Feel good now after a stretch and some food!
    Ill try and add the Garmin data later as the website doesn't seem to be working!

EDIT: Adding Garmin Activity

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/605047734

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

So done and dusted with my 20 mile LSR. Very happy with today..

I usually take my long runs in the park or a long circuit i have from home up the canal and around the back of Tallaght. Decided today to do from mile 3-18 of the DCM route.

Started out nice and slow and made my way to the park from Terenure. was up to 4 miles as I entered the park, so close enough to what we will be doing on the day.
    Didn't feel the drag up chesterfield avenue at all.
    Next bit of noticeable mention is the hill past Chapelizod, again not much to write home about.. hit it at 11 miles and no bother!
    Another small hill under the railway bridge a mile or so later, again not too steep and over before you even think about it.

The most noticeable stretch I found was the Dolphins barn to Crumlin hospital bit.. it it a slight incline for what seems like 2 miles or so.. I felt I had to put a bit more effort in there.. After that its all flat back to Terenure!

So 20.10 miles averaging 10:16 p/m. Feel good now after a stretch and some food!
    Ill try and add the Garmin data later as the website doesn't seem to be working!

thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

So I did wreck it. I'm terribly sorry, not intentional. Apologies to all.

Absolute carnage but you made up for it with the last report. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Last of the long LSRs done. It was chilly out today and with heavy cold showers I wore a compression top under my running top. I turned back to get gloves as I was carrying 2 250ml bottles of water, first time to take water. The sun came out during the run and it was fairly warm. I think taking the water helped me to get home in better shape than normal. I had a bit of a pain in my left foot last couple of days. I had done some MP miles during the week and starting off today I was wondering if I should have held off for another day. Thankfully all went well. Taper now and hopefully the body will come into good shape. I am still undecided whether I should do a 10km race next weekend as a tune up. Perhaps too close to D day and maybe better to just let the body gain strength, but haven't decided yet.
    Hoping all goes well now as I feel the preparation has gone well and I have got all my runs in while staying injury free. Now to avoid the bugs! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Just in the door from a 20mile LSR took me 3hr 11 mins. 1st 10 at 9:45 pace 2nd 10 at roughly PMP. 1st 18 mile grand for last 2 miles felt like someone poured concrete into my legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Laois_Man wrote: »
    All of them there do them but there's a lady called Aisling who specializes in them. She's good. But she's heavily pregnant, due in 3 or 4 weeks, and so she is only working bits and pieces at the moment. Anthony himself will also come in for a few digs at you for the craic if he's there.

I can PM you her mobile number if you like?

If you wouldn't mind that'ld great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Final LSR, 21miles @11 minute miles.Delighted cos am planning a 4:50 marathon ,focussed on enjoying the day, so with pacers, crowds and race excitement should hopefully go well..3 gels,sports drink and a pastry at Spar Coolock (thanks for the toilet break :-) ) Physio on Tuesday made a big difference, felt much looser today.

MLC_biker wrote: »
    Final LSR, 21miles @11 minute miles.Delighted cos am planning a 4:50 marathon ,focussed on enjoying the day, so with pacers, crowds and race excitement should hopefully go well..3 gels,sports drink and a pastry at Spar Coolock (thanks for the toilet break :-) ) Physio on Tuesday made a big difference, felt much looser today.
    Fair play to you! That's some run well done!!!!
    I'd say you'd be capable of doing a slightly faster marathon time if you wanted but if you're happy to run your lsr pace on the day then that's your choice and you'll have a great day!

Loving all the positive lsr reports coming in. Yiz are all flying it!! Dcm will be an absolute breeze at the rate you're all going!!!
    Good luck to those of you doing them in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck to all doing athlone tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Anyone doing Athlone tomorrow, say hello, I'll be the one in the shorts and runners, with a narky git by my side talking about boxing for 2 hrs 40 mins :)

Advertisement