Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I agree about water but not gels. Bring your own. Don't be dependent on what's on offer. Bring what you've trained with. They're very convenient to carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

tunguska wrote: »
    Seriously Laois man there is absolutely no need for you to be wearing a water belt. I actually laughed when I read that. Thats like going to the Sahara and bringing along a few bags of sand just in case......Theres more than enough water stations, this race is really well organised you'll have everything you need and more without having to bring your own gear with you. Make things easy on yourself and dont be lugging extra equipment, keep it simple, singlet, pair of shorts, socks and runners, thats it. You'll wanna travel as light as possible (especially if theres rain). Theres gels, energy drinks and plenty of water en route, anything else is superfluous.

The point is not that there isn't loads of water. Its having to run into a traffic jam at the stations - and the fear that if I stop, even for a second, my knee will scream at me (which it does often do when I stop) and will stay screaming for the rest of the race.

Also, I won't be drinking that Lucozade Sport crap and I can't carry stuff in my hands coz it drives me bonkers. But I can go without an electrolyte drink if I have to. Or bring a loose tablet to shove into a water bottle...awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'm bringing my water bottle that I've been using while training and I wouldn't be laughing at anyone's choices tbh, everyone's different & folks can do what suits them - at least I will have water when I want it, I will top up my bottle as I go along. Brng your belt Laois man it gives you options on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The point is not that there isn't loads of water. Its having to run into a traffic jam at the stations - and the fear that if I stop, even for a second, my knee will scream at me (which it does often do when I stop) and will stay screaming for the rest of the race.

Well thats a concern beyond hydration then. A situation where if you stop running for a second and your knee will start screaming at you.......thats not so good and I would seriously question running a marathon when thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I've never needed to stop at a water station. Grab a bottle from an outstretched arm that's handing it to you and keep going!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Well thats a concern beyond hydration then. A situation where if you stop running for a second and your knee will start screaming at you.......thats not so good and I would seriously question running a marathon when the case.

I'm in the same boat with my knee tbh. It locks when I stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

On previous DCM what size water bottles do they hand out? Is it the small ones like the Half this year or a larger bottle..

Found the little ones in the half were great.. Just snapped the lid closed and carried it in my hand for the next few miles.. Gabbed a bottle at the next station but they had pulled the lids off them.. damn scouts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

A strategy I picked up somewhere (2012 novice thread I think) for water stations is to pick a volunteer manning the station & look them straight in the eye, point at them and they will then know exactly that you will be taking what they have on offer. They won't give the bottle to anyone else if you keep the eye contact.

Don't stop at the first table in any station, it'll be the busiest, take some time to look at the area as you approach (you will have the time) while tables may only be set up on one side of the road, many have volunteers on both sides and they can be stretched out for up to 50 or 100meters.

If you don't want to stop at a station, you don't have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well thats a concern beyond hydration then. A situation where if you stop running for a second and your knee will start screaming at you.......thats not so good and I would seriously question running a marathon when the case.
    MKDTH wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat with my knee tbh. It locks when I stop!

You can't say you haven't been warned so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Seriously Laois man there is absolutely no need for you to be wearing a water belt. I actually laughed when I read that. Thats like going to the Sahara and bringing along a few bags of sand just in case......Theres more than enough water stations, this race is really well organised you'll have everything you need and more without having to bring your own gear with you. Make things easy on yourself and dont be lugging extra equipment, keep it simple, singlet, pair of shorts, socks and runners, thats it. You'll wanna travel as light as possible (especially if theres rain). Theres gels, energy drinks and plenty of water en route, anything else is superfluous.

100% agreed. There are plenty of water stops on the course. If you're concerned about the rush then carry a bottle in your hand for first few miles and you can skip the first station

Edit @ Laois man, if you are bringing nuun tabs etc just wrap them individually in a small bit of foil to stop them dissolving in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Probably left it a bit late for this too but that was due to uncertainty around entry. Have people booked hotels? Any recommendations/ good deals around for family rooms?

Don't mind a bit of travel if its near DART/ LUAS etc.

Re on BH Monday Dart starts late, so make sure of first dart/luas time can get you to the start by 9am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

MLC_biker wrote: »
    Re on BH Monday Dart starts late, so make sure of first dart/luas time can get you to the start by 9am

Cheers for that. I'll be driving in early myself so won't have to worry... My little loyal band of supporters will be making their way in much later from wherever we are so should be ok.

On previous DCM what size water bottles do they hand out? Is it the small ones like the Half this year or a larger bottle..

Found the little ones in the half were great.. Just snapped the lid closed and carried it in my hand for the next few miles.. Gabbed a bottle at the next station but they had pulled the lids off them.. damn scouts!!
    Hi neil of the bloody nipples:D
    It's the larger 500ml bottles of water and Lucozade Sport orange flavour.
    Both bottles have the sports caps

As regards the discussions around water stops etc. one of my lasting memories from the cork marathon I did was the commotion around them, plus the amount of bottles underfoot is very distressing. I'd definately recommend anyone used of carrying a water belt or similar to continue to do so. At least then you can pick and choose which stops to avail of if certain ones are busier than others. Takes the stress out of the situation. Plenty of helpful tips so far that I wouldn't have thought of at the time, really like the eye contact one. I also find sizing up the second to last station of any set and heading for that works, you've passed out the crowd at the first few and can get away again quite quickly as less crowd in front. You can also hit the last table if for any reason you miss out the second to last. And... Prepare for anything to happen as people can and will do anything at a water station!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think a useful little exercise is to go and read all the posts from marathon day and the next day from the 2013 novices thread.

Some stuff to both learn from and inspire! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056913937&page=230

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I think a useful little exercise is to go and read all the posts from marathon day and the next day from the 2013 novices thread.

Some stuff to both learn from and inspire! :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056913937&page=230

ha ha that's mad. Typical that my first comment is to do with not sleeping the night before:rolleyes:

Hi gals and guys
    I'm gonna post up some little quizzes and fun things for you to do over the next few weeks to stave off this taper madness you've all been reading about:D

To kick start our Taper Week 1, here's a little quiz for you. You all know now about what's involved in training for a marathon, but what's your knowledge of the history of the marathon like? Here you go. The winner gets a prize nothing :p
    Let me know how you get on!

Nice one! 7/10...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

Quick question, should we be doing any MP miles on this week's lsr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

5/10 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I've no idea what you are on about with this taper madness. I'm having a great rest night and have started reading original posts on the thread. Hardly a sign :-;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

3/10... Stupid quiz!!

Quick question, should we be doing any MP miles on this week's lsr?

Hey! None in the Boards Plan anyways...
    No harm to do a few at the end if feeling good. 4 would be good. If you're struggling then skip them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Mediocre performance. 4/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I didn't like that quiz. 4/10. Better than Neil though so that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

5/10, had to make a guess at a lot of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

7/10 the first time I did it and 6/10 the second time.....wot a dope :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

smashiner wrote: »

Not sure I'd have been so honest in my post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

smashiner wrote: »

Will you do the Marathon twice also smashiner!!

Advertisement