Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

5/10 for me- only half rubbish!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

oh god, I've just seen pics of Athlone, I need to change my running outfit!! its not too late, right?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi gals and guys
    I'm gonna post up some little quizzes and fun things for you to do over the next few weeks to stave off this taper madness you've all been reading about:D

To kick start our Taper Week 1, here's a little quiz for you. You all know now about what's involved in training for a marathon, but what's your knowledge of the history of the marathon like? Here you go. The winner gets a prize nothing :p
    Let me know how you get on!

Hopefully my marathon performance is better than my quiz result!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Older is not necessarily wiser 3/10 :(

aquinn wrote: »
    I've no idea what you are on about with this taper madness. I'm having a great rest night and have started reading original posts on the thread. Hardly a sign :-;

We just got the latest issue of Irish Runner today, I'm taking a break from obsessing here to read the 20 articles on.... Guess what????? Marathon tips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

annapr wrote: »
    We just got the latest issue of Irish Runner today, I'm taking a break from obsessing here to read the 20 articles on.... Guess what????? Marathon tips!

I read it cover to cover when I spent Saturday afternoon in bed willing my cold to go away :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

6/10 and 3 of those were educated guesses :)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I read it cover to cover when I spent Saturday afternoon in bed willing my cold to go away :)

We are truly sad. But it does have some great articles and good tips. Although I am staying up late reading it while eating chocolate and drinking a glass of wine (last one before taper, honest), thereby breaking at least 3 of the important tips for success!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Will you do the Marathon twice also smashiner!!

Yep, I plan to run it on the 26th just to make sure that I can do it the following day !!:eek: :eek:

And yes I am a dope......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

annapr wrote: »
    We are truly sad. But it does have some great articles and good tips. Although I am staying up late reading it while eating chocolate and drinking a glass of wine (last one before taper, honest), thereby breaking at least 3 of the important tips for success!

I was having tea with a few biscuits for dunking at the time if that makes you feel any better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

If there's a prize for last I'm in hope of getting it - 2/10, and one of those was a guess!

I got my LSD (Long Slow Distance) done tonight in the gym - 3hours on the elliptical trainer .... which worked out as just 14.2 miles! So about 12:40 pace .... Clearly the way to slow down the Long Run is to instead use one of these things. The machine was only set up for 45minute workouts so, this was 4x45mins, taking 10/20 secs in between these to drink water (and eating jelly babies at around the 20min mark of each). Was not feeling the love on this piece of equipment but genuinely intended to add in a 5th 45mins ... but I'd forgotten the gym was closing at 9:30 and I ended up just having 5mins to change into my stuff and leave.

So: 19.2 elliptical "miles" for the week. Better than nothing. If I spend too much longer on these I'm going to end up with a strange (ie even-stranger) running gait.

My right calf is better after the week has passed. Today it is fine to walk on, a few twinges going downstairs, but sore to hop on. Not there yet but a good improvement, and the elliptical did not cause any trouble except for making me stiff in many places. I'm finishing off a lovely large portion of curry chips and then I'll get the foam roller out.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

If there's a prize for last I'm in hope of getting it - 2/10, and one of those was a guess!

I got my LSD (Long Slow Distance) done tonight in the gym - 3hours on the elliptical trainer .... which worked out as just 14.2 miles! So about 12:40 pace .... Clearly the way to slow down the Long Run is to instead use one of these things. The machine was only set up for 45minute workouts so, this was 4x45mins, taking 10/20 secs in between these to drink water (and eating jelly babies at around the 20min mark of each). Was not feeling the love on this piece of equipment but genuinely intended to add in a 5th 45mins ... but I'd forgotten the gym was closing at 9:30 and I ended up just having 5mins to change into my stuff and leave.

So: 19.2 elliptical "miles" for the week. Better than nothing. If I spend too much longer on these I'm going to end up with a strange (ie even-stranger) running gait.

My right calf is better after the week has passed. Today it is fine to walk on, a few twinges going downstairs, but sore to hop on. Not there yet but a good improvement, and the elliptical did not cause any trouble except for making me stiff in many places. I'm finishing off a lovely large portion of curry chips and then I'll get the foam roller out.

3 hours on one of those yokes!!' Fair play to you. That's dedication!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Joleigh wrote: »
    3 hours on one of those yokes!!' Fair play to you. That's dedication!

Thanks Joleigh ... I had been thinking the same thing myself :-). It's a bit of a change from my casual toe-dip in the marathon pool 8 weeks ago. And I really would have done the extra 45mins if they hadn't kicked us out of there ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

5/10
    Cheers for that Ososlo.
    I remember watching that marathon where the priest came out. The poor Brazilian runner didn't have the strength to shake him off. Think if I was in the crowd the priest would have got one on the chin. After all his training for something like that to happen was a real shame. I wonder how he views it all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Bit late to the party, but got my last 20 mile LSR done last night, as I said last week , much prefer to run these on a Saturday morning, but a weekend away last weekend meant I had to shuffle around a few runs, with last week’s LSR being a Tuesday night run and this week’s being Monday night. Feels good to have it done and am looking forward immensely to 14 miles LSR next weekend!
    Run was a big confidence boost in that my pace didn’t fall off a cliff in the last 3 miles like my other long runs. Managed to run half way between PMP and LSR pace for last 4 miles. When I did stop I had never felt tightness like it in my calves. That feeling is probably enough to ensure I don’t stop running between 20 miles and the finish. Legs feel fine today but it took an hour or so for them to loosen up.

I’ve enjoyed almost all the running on the boards plan but the last 3-4 miles of any LSR is not my idea of fun. Incidentally does anyone have any idea, if you are not in a marathon cycle what would a typical LSR would be for either a maintenance period or say a Half marathon program?

I am actually looking forward to taper as I feel this part of the plan as I feel this is where my real strength is, I am world class when it comes to resting! All joking aside I know marathon training is meant to wipe you out and on the days of my LSR I do feel like a bit of a zombie, but I’ve never had so much energy or felt so alert, long may it continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi gals and guys
    I'm gonna post up some little quizzes and fun things for you to do over the next few weeks to stave off this taper madness you've all been reading about:D

To kick start our Taper Week 1, here's a little quiz for you. You all know now about what's involved in training for a marathon, but what's your knowledge of the history of the marathon like? Here you go. The winner gets a prize nothing :p
    Let me know how you get on!

It looked like a lost cause. He was dead on his feat. When he got to question 6, he still had 0 points. A scene of utterly humiliated dejection. Then, just when he needed it most, he pulled a spectacular comeback out of the bag one would scarcely have believed possible. I don't know where he got it from, he had to dig deep.....but tremendous character from the boy from Laois. Don't underestimate this lad on the 27th!

4/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Bit late to the party, but got my last 20 mile LSR done last night, as I said last week , much prefer to run these on a Saturday morning, but a weekend away last weekend meant I had to shuffle around a few runs, with last week’s LSR being a Tuesday night run and this week’s being Monday night. Feels good to have it done and am looking forward immensely to 14 miles LSR next weekend!
    Run was a big confidence boost in that my pace didn’t fall off a cliff in the last 3 miles like my other long runs. Managed to run half way between PMP and LSR pace for last 4 miles. When I did stop I had never felt tightness like it in my calves. That feeling is probably enough to ensure I don’t stop running between 20 miles and the finish. Legs feel fine today but it took an hour or so for them to loosen up.

I’ve enjoyed almost all the running on the boards plan but the last 3-4 miles of any LSR is not my idea of fun. Incidentally does anyone have any idea, if you are not in a marathon cycle what would a typical LSR would be for either a maintenance period or say a Half marathon program?

I am actually looking forward to taper as I feel this part of the plan as I feel this is where my real strength is, I am world class when it comes to resting! All joking aside I know marathon training is meant to wipe you out and on the days of my LSR I do feel like a bit of a zombie, but I’ve never had so much energy or felt so alert, long may it continue!
    Hey Chad well done with the 20!!!
    I'd say 10/12 mile lsr if not training for anything in particular and up to 15 if training for a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

Maybe some of the Dublin based folks can give me some advice on what luas stops my wife and kids could use to catch a view as we are running by. I was thinking something like hueston station then walk to the other luas line to get out to Milltown then back to the finish. Youngest kid is just gone 5 so do want them to have to be walking to far. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭johndoe11

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the starting waves. I plan on finishing in under 3.50 and have registered in wave 1 (9 am start) , but not necessarily sure if I want to start at 3.50 pace. Am I correct in assuming that there will be no 4 hour pacers in wave 1 and these will be in wave 2?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I am following the HH plan, and as I had plans this weekend swopped the two lsrs around. So on Sat 27th Sept I did 21.2 miles (little bit more than the plan, plan say 12 mile), and this Sunday did 12 miles (plan had 14). I had no choice but to swop as I couldn’t get a proper lsr in.

This weekend I did a 12 mile mud run (yes I know this was a mad thing to go at this stage of the training plan but I had signed up for it months and months ago, and thankfully have come out of it uninjured, just a bit worse for ware!).

I also did the DCHM 2 weeks ago so that also knocked out a longer lsr. On the plus side I did do some of my lsr’s longer than the plan had noted.

So now its taper time, but I am wondering if it’s a very bad thing that my last proper lsr was on 27th Sept, a whole month before DCM. This weekend the plan says to do 12 mile, should I increase this up a bit(even 15 or 16 mile?), or just stick to what I am doing. I know I am worrying about the lsr and it should be fine, just a bit worried my last one was a week earlier than everyone else. Will this have a big impact overall? I guess this taper lark has already driven me a bit crazy!

My longest runs are 18.5 mile, 20 mile and 21.2 mile, and have a number of other runs between 10 and 18 miles, I hope that these will be enough to stand to me??! My training has gone very well so far, and my aim on the day is to go with the 4hr40min pacers and enjoy my first marathon and not worry about the time it takes, just run it all and take in the atmosphere.

I know Im just fretting, any advice is very welcome!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Alan30 wrote: »
    Maybe some of the Dublin based folks can give me some advice on what luas stops my wife and kids could use to catch a view as we are running by. I was thinking something like hueston station then walk to the other luas line to get out to Milltown then back to the finish. Youngest kid is just gone 5 so do want them to have to be walking to far. Thanks.

It's a very long walk from Heuston Station (Red Line) to Stephen's Green (Green Line). Maybe get them to jump back on the Luas to Rialto where they'll catch you again at Mile 12. The 17 Bus goes from Rialto to Blackrock, normally taking in Roebuck Road & Fosters Avenue (not sure of the route that day though. Will obviously be affected by the marathon). If it was still making it's way out there though that would leave them close enough to Milltown to hop on the Green Luas to the finish ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

johndoe11 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the starting waves. I plan on finishing in under 3.50 and have registered in wave 1 (9 am start) , but not necessarily sure if I want to start at 3.50 pace. Am I correct in assuming that there will be no 4 hour pacers in wave 1 and these will be in wave 2?

Cheers.

The 3:50 pacers are in wave 2 also, definitely start in wave 2.
    Mimojo wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I am following the HH plan, and as I had plans this weekend swopped the two lsrs around. So on Sat 27th Sept I did 21.2 miles (little bit more than the plan, plan say 12 mile), and this Sunday did 12 miles (plan had 14). I had no choice but to swop as I couldn’t get a proper lsr in.

This weekend I did a 12 mile mud run (yes I know this was a mad thing to go at this stage of the training plan but I had signed up for it months and months ago, and thankfully have come out of it uninjured, just a bit worse for ware!).

I also did the DCHM 2 weeks ago so that also knocked out a longer lsr. On the plus side I did do some of my lsr’s longer than the plan had noted.

So now its taper time, but I am wondering if it’s a very bad thing that my last proper lsr was on 27th Sept, a whole month before DCM. This weekend the plan says to do 12 mile, should I increase this up a bit(even 15 or 16 mile?), or just stick to what I am doing. I know I am worrying about the lsr and it should be fine, just a bit worried my last one was a week earlier than everyone else. Will this have a big impact overall? I guess this taper lark has already driven me a bit crazy!

My longest runs are 18.5 mile, 20 mile and 21.2 mile, and have a number of other runs between 10 and 18 miles, I hope that these will be enough to stand to me??! My training has gone very well so far, and my aim on the day is to go with the 4hr40min pacers and enjoy my first marathon and not worry about the time it takes, just run it all and take in the atmosphere.

I know Im just fretting, any advice is very welcome!!

I'm no expert on this but I would say just follow what the plan says. By this weekend you are only 2 weeks out so I would say the risks outweigh the benefits of increasing the distance there. Trust in the training you have done, missing the few extra miles from last weekend won't make much difference I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭johndoe11

adrian522 wrote: »
    The 3:50 pacers are in wave 2 also, definitely start in wave 2.

thanks. Is it ok to start in a different wave than the one i registered in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There is no problem moving back a wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

if you ask at the expo they might change your wave but going by last years they are very strict on the day about letting the proper coloured bibs into the correct locations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Hi all,

Did the Cardiff half marathon last weekend, ran the first 18km at training/conversation pace (5:30 min/km or a bit quicker) & then raced the last bit. Finished in 1:50. Pleased that I didn't succumb to the temptation to race early on!

(Incidentally it's a nice flat course, the third biggest road race in the UK after the London Marathon & the Great North Run, well organised and well supported by multicultural Cardiff. Was proud to call it my hometown & aim to run it again next year.)

So now, the question. The previous weekend I ran a 34km LSR. So what long runs should I be doing between now & the DCM? Maybe 24km (15 miles) this weekend & 16km (10 miles) next w/e? Grateful for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    if you ask at the expo they might change your wave but going by last years they are very strict on the day about letting the proper coloured bibs into the correct locations

It's only an issue if you are looking to move up a wave, not back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thinking about Jingle Bells 5K as my first post DCM race. December 6th.

Won't really be doing much between DCM and getting back from Holidays on November 23rd. Race gets some good press so 2 weeks training for this and hopefully complete my set of PB's for the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thinking about Jingle Bells 5K as my first post DCM race. December 6th.

Won't really be doing much between DCM and getting back from Holidays on November 23rd. Race gets some good press so 2 weeks training for this and hopefully complete my set of PB's for the year!

This was the first race I ever did in 2007!! I wore a track suit, and an Xmas apron and Santa hat! I almost melted. That 5k may as well have been a marathon but I'll never forget how good I felt after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

That's funny my first ever race was the Santa Dash 10k out on bull island!

Ran with the full Santa outfit, beard included.. Was lovely and warm!!

Advertisement