Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Joleigh wrote: »
    This was the first race I ever did in 2007!! I wore a track suit, and an Xmas apron and Santa hat! I almost melted. That 5k may as well have been a marathon but I'll never forget how good I felt after it.

You recommend the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Another physio appointment and he is obviously mad about me as back again on Friday after the 3*5 easy miles this week. More calves tightness and OMG the pain in my ass, seriously.
    I have, once again, being avoiding foam rolling since I was booked in with him anyway. This is not the best way to recover from runs or a physio session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Speaking of running in the cold.....you want to start getting used to it if this article is accurate.

It specifically mentions a very cold late October, and while it's UK specific, it would apply to us too

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Speaking of running in the cold.....you want to start getting used to it if this article is accurate.

It specifically mentions a very cold late October, and while it's UK specific, it would apply to us too

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

Yep, Ice and large snow drifts on the way !! Just as well that I ordered a toasty Sondico compression top (black of course to make me look slimmer) today on one of the websites for around €20 including delivery.
    BTW Aldi are selling more running gear on Thursday....but I cannot fit any more Running gear in to my press due to 'impulse buys' in the past :pac::pac:.

Get the layers on just in case for the big day!!:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

smashiner wrote: »
    Yep, Ice and large snow drifts on the way !! Just as well that I ordered a toasty Sondico compression top (black of course to make me look slimmer) today on one of the websites for around €20 including delivery.
    BTW Aldi are selling more running gear on Thursday....but I cannot fit any more Running gear in to my press due to 'impulse buys' in the past :pac::pac:.

Get the layers on just in case for the big day!!:P:P

What? Potential outfit change? I've only long sleeved base layers and haven't done any long runs in them. This is for under current t-shirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Just as well that I ordered a toasty Sondico compression top (black of course to make me look slimmer) today on one of the websites for around €20 including delivery.

Sportsworld in Heatons have those for €11 at the minute!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm no expert on this but I would say just follow what the plan says. By this weekend you are only 2 weeks out so I would say the risks outweigh the benefits of increasing the distance there. Trust in the training you have done, missing the few extra miles from last weekend won't make much difference I don't think.

Cheers Adrian, I know I need to trust the training, I guess I am just panicking myself! I need to sit down & look back through the training journal tonight might give me a bit of confidence. I think you are right, just stick to the plan rather than trying to squeeze in another run & end up injured.

Also I am a regular gym goer, generally would go 4/5 times a week (2/3 x free weights sessions & 2 x weights/circuits classes) on top of my runs, how much should I cut this? Or cut completely for the next few weeks? And should I cut from this week?

Finally what does a person do if they are not running and not gymming?! Think I am guna be gone stir crazy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Laois_Man wrote: »

Is this not dated to 2013?? Also the Express.... lol

tang1 wrote: »
    Sportsworld in Heatons have those for €11 at the minute!!

Yeah, Sportsworld in Heatons is actually a super shop, lots of low cost good quality brand gear, really worth checking out versus the more expensive shops.
    Might take a spin out to Blanch over the weekend.....in the meantime I ordered this running gear on line .....ya know......just in case ;);)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpolXguPFBxO-pp1hdwvxDrMDnqrxxZpeJrJGMQAuKaR3Gm35zJCO2m9iK

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Yeah, Sportsworld in Heatons is actually a super shop, lots of low cost good quality brand gear, really worth checking out versus the more expensive shops.
    Might take a spin out to Blanch over the weekend.....in the meantime I ordered this running gear on line .....ya know......just in case ;);)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpolXguPFBxO-pp1hdwvxDrMDnqrxxZpeJrJGMQAuKaR3Gm35zJCO2m9iK

You'll buy the same gear on sportsdirect.com for even cheaper.

Casey78 wrote: »
    You'll buy the same gear on sportsdirect.com for even cheaper.

That is where I bought the Sondico one ;););)..........going to wear it on the day under the tee shirt if it's freezing. Looks like I will be 'Vacuum packed' on the day...

Will be used for the winter runs post the DCM anyway, so a shrewd purchase methinks:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I reckon Ososlo is rolling her eyes at these outfit change posts :-) I'm going to do my 12-14 miles in different gear this weekend, as back up! #totallypanickingnow and its only day 2 of the taper....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

You recommend the race?

I would! From what I remember, easy route around the park and great atmosphere. Also got a nice mug at the end. Just make sure your Xmas Do is not on the night before!

Joleigh wrote: »
    I would! From what I remember, easy route around the park and great atmosphere. Also got a nice mug at the end. Just make sure your Xmas Do is not on the night before!

The days of my company having Christmas do's are long over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for that - bit of a terrifying read at times but good to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Mimojo wrote: »
    Cheers Adrian, I know I need to trust the training, I guess I am just panicking myself! I need to sit down & look back through the training journal tonight might give me a bit of confidence. I think you are right, just stick to the plan rather than trying to squeeze in another run & end up injured.

Also I am a regular gym goer, generally would go 4/5 times a week (2/3 x free weights sessions & 2 x weights/circuits classes) on top of my runs, how much should I cut this? Or cut completely for the next few weeks? And should I cut from this week?

Finally what does a person do if they are not running and not gymming?! Think I am guna be gone stir crazy!!!
    gym stuff:
    I wouldn't cut it out unless it wrecks you. I'd taper it back a bit from maybe next week and taper it back again for the last week and cut it out then from 2/3 days before the big day.

Reesy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Did the Cardiff half marathon last weekend, ran the first 18km at training/conversation pace (5:30 min/km or a bit quicker) & then raced the last bit. Finished in 1:50. Pleased that I didn't succumb to the temptation to race early on!

(Incidentally it's a nice flat course, the third biggest road race in the UK after the London Marathon & the Great North Run, well organised and well supported by multicultural Cardiff. Was proud to call it my hometown & aim to run it again next year.)

So now, the question. The previous weekend I ran a 34km LSR. So what long runs should I be doing between now & the DCM? Maybe 24km (15 miles) this weekend & 16km (10 miles) next w/e? Grateful for your advice.
    Well done for not racing the full thing.
    Don't do more than 15 this weekend and no more than 10 following.
    Lots of short easy runs in between and no hill sprints ;)

aquinn wrote: »
    What? Potential outfit change? I've only long sleeved base layers and haven't done any long runs in them. This is for under current t-shirt?

I wouldn't worry about base layers. Last thing you want is to be too hot. A teeshirt or singlet with a top over it that you can dispose of when you warm up is all you need unless you suffer really badly from the cold.
    Pennys and Dunnes are great for cheap gloves and hats you can wear for the first few miles and discard of then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I've decided to take taper to an extreme this week and not do any running. How detrimental is it to skip runs during taper? I think that maybe the best thing I can do for my niggles this week is rest. So I'm not doing any running until I have my session on Thursday and then see how that goes. I'm still on the bike for an hour a day, and I may go for a swim tomorrow so I'm not totally inactive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

The clubs plan for the lsr this week is 20 miles is this a bit extreme two weeks out?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A good post from the running thread on my site Irishkop I think some here may find interesting. We were talking about doing the LSR on empty.
    The primary fuel source for a marathon will be fat and as Willie pointed out it is important to train the body to use the fat. The best way of doing this is a long slow run while in a fasted state, ideally first thing in the morning. And slowly increasing the intensity of these runs, the body will be very good at telling you if you are going too fast. For a lot of marathon runners their Sunday morning run is done in a fasted state for this very reason.
    Carbs are also important for both training and racing and the higher the intensity of the exercise relative to your own maximum, the more carbs will be used. If you are running at a pace which is reliant on carbs you will run out after about 90 minutes and it is important to refuel before that point, remembering that it may take up to 30 minutes for the carbs to get from your mouth to your working muscles. We have a few fancy tests to work out these thresholds but a good guide is when you can no longer hold a conversation, ie it is difficult to string a sentence together without stopping for a breath, you are probably relying more on carbs and will more than likely need to refuel before 90 minutes.
    However if you are more reliant on fats you have enough fat stores to run about a dozen marathons back to back, if other body systems would allow it, and may not need to take extra carbs on board if the carb stores are full before the race/training.

For anyone struggling with gels or carb drinks, there is some interesting research showing that rinsing a carb solution in your mouth and not swallowing it can actually lead to carbs being released in the body. There seems to be receptors in the mouth linked to the liver releasing sugar into the blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I've decided to take taper to an extreme this week and not do any running. How detrimental is it to skip runs during taper? I think that maybe the best thing I can do for my niggles this week is rest. So I'm not doing any running until I have my session on Thursday and then see how that goes. I'm still on the bike for an hour a day, and I may go for a swim tomorrow so I'm not totally inactive.

Thats fine. Its always better to get to race day niggle free and a bit shy on runs than it is to keep going and end up hobbling to the startline. Honestly I'd skip the session on thursday aswell, dont play with fire at this stage of the game. Wrap yourself in cotton wool and take no chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

tunguska wrote: »
    Thats fine. Its always better to get to race day niggle free and a bit shy on runs than it is to keep going and end up hobbling to the startline. Honestly I'd skip the session on thursday aswell, dont play with fire at this stage of the game. Wrap yourself in cotton wool and take no chances.

Thanks for the reply tunguska. Sorry - should have been more clear, Thursday is a session with a physical therapist to work on the niggles! Said I'd rest till then, see how that goes and maybe back off and give the body a chance to fully recover. Hopefully the hard work is done with the main body of training - just feels a bit weird to have no plans to run this week!

Darren 83 wrote: »
    The clubs plan for the lsr this week is 20 miles is this a bit extreme two weeks out?

To me it sounds like a lot so close, but I know someone else on here has a very long one too this weekend as that's what their plan calls for. Will you be running it all very easy? How do your club mates feel about the 20? I guess the coach is the best person to ask if you're feeling apprehensive about it. Do you recover quickly from the lsrs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Ososlo wrote: »
    Don't do more than 15 this weekend and no more than 10 following.
    Lots of short easy runs in between and no hill sprints ;)
    Thanks! In that case this weekend I'll drive down to Fitzwilliam square & then run the first 13 miles of the DCM course, to Dolphin's Barn bridge - then back along the canal to the car. That should be about 15 miles. Perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Ososlo wrote: »
    To me it sounds like a lot so close, but I know someone else on here has a very long one too this weekend as that's what their plan calls for. Will you be running it all very easy? How do your club mates feel about the 20? I guess the coach is the best person to ask if you're feeling apprehensive about it. Do you recover quickly from the lsrs?

It will be all easy for me, I recovered quick enough after the last 20 miles I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

aquinn wrote: »
    Another physio appointment and he is obviously mad about me as back again on Friday after the 3*5 easy miles this week. More calves tightness and OMG the pain in my ass, seriously.
    I have, once again, being avoiding foam rolling since I was booked in with him anyway. This is not the best way to recover from runs or a physio session.

Have a look at Catherina McKiernan's 'chi running' website. Chi running has kept me injury free in my unadvised 9 month couch to marathon adventure. I had a niggling Achilles in August and after following the chi principles since then, I have not looked back. If you can get in just one session between now and the big day, you will reap the benefits! Good luck! (And in the meantime pay attention to an upright posture/torso and let your foot hit the ground around the mid foot.) I have increased my weekly mileage and lsr beyond the 10% rule on several occasions. I don't stretch pre-run, don't foam roll or massage on a regular basis but have stayed injury free thanks to chi running style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You recommend the race?

I really enjoyed it last year, although severely hungover came within 1 second of my then PB. Great to finish downhill and actually run DOWN the upper glen road for a change. Also you get a lovely Christmas mug.

Only downside was being passed out by people in Christmas jumpers!!! Not good for the running ego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Had forgotten how much I love running in the wind and rain... Seeing the puzzled expression on people behind the windscreen of their car with the wipers going and heaters on, looking at the crazy idiot in tshirt and shorts out for a run at 9pm at night... But aside from that, it's a great feeling!

Advertisement