Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done JohnDozer for winning the quiz last night. You'll get your prize on the 27th!

Here's an easy one for you all tonight. No excuses for not getting at least 70%!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done JohnDozer for winning the quiz last night. You'll get your prize on the 27th!

Here's an easy one for you all tonight. No excuses for not getting at least 70%!

6/10. How am I supposed to know when the city hall was built? What exactly has that got to do with marathon training and running..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Wohoo! 8/10 :-)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    6/10. How am I supposed to know when the city hall was built? What exactly has that got to do with marathon training and running..... :)

ha ha. Well knowledge is a great thing and you know when it was built now:)
    It's to keep your mind occupied;)
    6 ain't bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

751/1000 - It took me three questions to figure out I was under the clock! The last one wasn't like that.

I demand a stewards enquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

To me it sounds like a lot so close, but I know someone else on here has a very long one too this weekend as that's what their plan calls for. Will you be running it all very easy? How do your club mates feel about the 20? I guess the coach is the best person to ask if you're feeling apprehensive about it. Do you recover quickly from the lsrs?

Hi Ososlo,
    I think that was my plan calling for a 20 mile Lsr, but I thought about what u said (injury risk etc), and have dropped that idea and am going to go for a 'handy' HM instead at the weekend......my God we are now calling a HM a handy lsr !!

I have a load of HM distances under the belt since June and did a 15,17 and a 20 miler over the past 3 weekends so I am going to 'taper' and join the local Darts club (free 18" pizza for new members) for the next 2 weeks.....oh dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

751/1000 - It took me three questions to figure out I was under the clock! The last one wasn't like that.

I demand a stewards enquiry.

Ah, missed that. It jammed on the 9th question... 640, no idea how that was working!

Wait, maybe it was a miles vs km thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Woohoo!! 9/10. Makes up for yesterday's 2/10!

Rested for 3 days now after my 20 mile LSR and pain in knee is pretty much gone. Been stretching a good bit and icing when I remember. Plan on running home from work tomorrow (5miles) very easy and, if all feels good, in to work again on Thursday.

Are there any tricks of the trade for drying runners quickly after running in the rain? Hate putting on damp runners. (I work in a bodyshop and if I get wet on way in, everything gets dried in the oven! Not really an option at home though!)

skittles11 wrote: »
    Woohoo!! 9/10. Makes up for yesterday's 2/10!

Rested for 3 days now after my 20 mile LSR and pain in knee is pretty much gone. Been stretching a good bit and icing when I remember. Plan on running home from work tomorrow (5miles) very easy and, if all feels good, in to work again on Thursday.

Are there any tricks of the trade for drying runners quickly after running in the rain? Hate putting on damp runners. (I work in a bodyshop and if I get wet on way in, everything gets dried in the oven! Not really an option at home though!)

WEll done:D
    Great to hear the knee is good.

Don't dry them too close to a heater. Stuff with newspapers (right up to toe box) and replace every few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

8/10, mid pack, no surprise that... 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

9/10 for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

6/10 for me!

Quick question about running the remaining runs. I have decided to stop going to the running club until after DCM but to run those two evenings a week on my own. Just wondering if these runs be slow, as in LSR slow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

9/10 or 885/1000???

Random quiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

First thoughts this morning.
    'slept well, why am I still tired, what am I going to be like on RACE DAY!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Long range forecast for DCM indicating strong to severe headwinds for the full 26.2

Let the madness begin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

gingersnap wrote: »
    6/10 for me!

Quick question about running the remaining runs. I have decided to stop going to the running club until after DCM but to run those two evenings a week on my own. Just wondering if these runs be slow, as in LSR slow?

Not sure about your other runs, but I'd say maybe do one at LSR/ easy pace, and one at 15/30 seconds per mile quicker than LSR pace... If your other work has a couple of speedy sessions, do both at easy pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

9/10 on the quiz... At least 2 were wild wild guesses though!

Anyone with 20 minutes to spare, found this quite enjoyable last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af4yvBcdoKM

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Long range forecast for DCM indicating strong to severe headwinds for the full 26.2

Let the madness begin ;)

STOP! No negative weather updates. It'll be a perfect day. Weather forecast always wrong.

aquinn wrote: »
    STOP! No negative weather updates. It'll be a perfect day. Weather forecast always wrong.

STOP! don't jinx it!!! :D

• Advertisement

9/10 yay, I got the hot climate one wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

Nicsx wrote: »
    9/10 for me :)

Now why doesn't that surprise me :)

aquinn wrote: »
    9/10 yay, I got the hot climate one wrong!

Not surprised, it is a sign........as it is going to be very windy and lash rain and sleet on the 27th......jinx .....jinx :D:D:D

We are powerless over that element of the day...I personally hope that it is 'cool' and wouldn't mind a small sprinkle of rain at mile 13-20 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

It's always cool and calm on marathon Monday. ALWAYS!

Enjoyed reading this and the clip at the end
    http://m.runnersworld.com/chicago-marathon/30-years-ago-steve-jones-transformed-the-marathon?cid=social32957776

JohnDozer wrote: »

couple of things stand out in this, firstly where are all the cheering crowds??!!!! I'm banking on them keeping my momentum going! That Russian guy that won looks absolutely fantastically strong, where can I learn to run like this.....

pity they don't televise it anymore, we've missed our chance at 5 mins of fame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

7/10

Amazing

24% failed to answer correctly that Belfast was in Northern Inreland
    25% failed the question about what language they speak in Belfast

takin the piss or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Laois_Man wrote: »
    7/10

Amazing

24% failed to answer correctly that Belfast was in Northern Inreland
    25% failed the question about what language they speak in Belfast

takin the piss or wha?

Their location might be "Not Ireland" L_M ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Their location might be "Not Ireland" L_M ...

Still though! The language?

JohnDozer wrote: »

That is brilliant. The speed of them.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,
    Is there going to be a 'Novice Boardies Pacing Group'?

I am running the DCM on my own (all together aawwwww...), as my two running friends ran across the hills screaming when I delared after the Clontarf HM that we should do the full DCM :-)

Thinking of setting up 'The going to have an honest bash at a sub 4 hour marathon but won't be too disappointed if we do a 4:15-4:30 on the day club'....we could call ourselves Team 'Sub4..ish' or 'TONKA' (Team Ososlo's Novices Kick Ass)...other crazy names welcome.

Plan would be line up behind the sub 4 hour group:
    First 10K sloooowww at 57-58 minutes, HM pace for around 2 hours (negative split), lift the pace a small bit at Cherrytree Roundabout as it is flat/slight down hill for a few miles, get to 20 miles hopefully in or around 3 hours and see what is left in the tank and push for home, aiming for sub 4 or 4:10 depending on how the auld legs feel.
    Was told by a number of people that have ran it that the first 13 miles are tougher as a course and to take it handy.

Anyone on for this madcap idea??

Advertisement