Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I was looking for a half marathon this looks like a decent one, I'm not from Dublin is it easy to get to from the town centre?

The DART stops in Clontarf and it only takes about 5 mins or so to get there from the city centre stations. Plenty of buses too from city. Would take 15 mins or less from city centre.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was looking for a half marathon this looks like a decent one, I'm not from Dublin is it easy to get to from the town centre?

Could not be easier, as Ososlo said it has the dart and a great bus service. Good course, well run event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Dub13 wrote: »
    Could not be easier, as Ososlo said it has the dart and a great bus service. Good course, well run event.

Have you a garmin link?

Have you a garmin link?

MapMy Run link from the organizer's.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/dublin-l/clontarf-half-marathon-route-25958470

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Cheers, will do 3 odd and see how it goes.

Going to sign up to the Clontarf half in July, anybody else doing this..? I did it in Nov and its a great course plus only down the road from me so be rude not to.

I'm signed up for it.

• Advertisement

Have you a garmin link?

From events thread last year
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/96468317

I'll sign up next week for it, it will be a good race to see if I can run it at mp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Personally I think the Clontarf Half is very overrated, although I do an awful lot if my training along the route so that might contribute to my thinking. Some of it is on the beach which for me is a no no. Plus if it's windy, which it often is, at least half of it will be no fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Yup paced sub 90 in the HM last yr. Be careful with this race- wind/ heat/ exposure/ 2 miles of beach will put a big dent in your time. Athlone HM is fab and the race series one is fine as well.

Can you collect race number on the day?

• Advertisement

Can you collect race number on the day?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

10mile / 16k LSR done. Still finding the ability to keep my pace relatively steady throughout the whole run (hills excepted) difficult. But, the target was 6:09 average so that bit was ok!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/505718250#.U4CXXiCI4c0

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

12 mile LSR done, 10 min/mile pace. Longest run I've ever done! Got a few stitches but think I started out too fast. Very tired at the end and can't imagine how I'd do twice that distance and more, scary!
    I've also signed up for the Clontarf half and was wondering whether to train up to 13-14 miles beforehand or to just stick at 12 miles max? I do plan to drop back the milage for the next week or two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

20km this morning in new comfy runners.

Just ran at comfortable pace and did it in 2 hours 10.
    Pace did fluctuate a fair bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Similar LSR here... 12 miles done and deliberately chose a route where the first 6 were uphill! Not sure if running the last 6 downhill with the wind behind me will be of any benefit to me though :-) quads a little sore now alright

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Weekly update guys. After taken on board what Ososlo and Adrian522 said about slowing my runs I ran 10 km in 51.23 on Tuesday. Really comfortable run and enjoyed. Thursday it was the staff relay in the Phoenix Park. Due to dropouts I volunteered to do 2 runs. Ran my first 5km in 20.26 and for the second slowed it down, took in the race atmosphere and crossed the line in 24.15. Just back from my lsr and ran a half marathon in preparation for Enniscorthy. Slow comfortable pace and did not struggle. Finished in 1.40. Well done everyone on their runs. Some impressive distances covered. Keep up the hard work.

gingersnap wrote: »
    12 mile LSR done, 10 min/mile pace. Longest run I've ever done! Got a few stitches but think I started out too fast. Very tired at the end and can't imagine how I'd do twice that distance and more, scary!
    I've also signed up for the Clontarf half and was wondering whether to train up to 13-14 miles beforehand or to just stick at 12 miles max? I do plan to drop back the milage for the next week or two though.
    Hey
    That's on July 5th right? If so then I'd work up to 14 for sure! You've loads of time. If it was in a week or two I'd say no, but you've plenty of time to gradually work up to 14 so why not? And yes you're completely right to take a step back week every 3/4 weeks or so.
    Well done on the 12 today! That's fantastic to be up to that distance well advance of the plan. Don't think about full marathon distance at all yet and just take it in small steps/stages. In a few months you'll wonder what you ever worried about:D

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Weekly update guys. After taken on board what Ososlo and Adrian522 said about slowing my runs I ran 10 km in 51.23 on Tuesday. Really comfortable run and enjoyed. Thursday it was the staff relay in the Phoenix Park. Due to dropouts I volunteered to do 2 runs. Ran my first 5km in 20.26 and for the second slowed it down, took in the race atmosphere and crossed the line in 24.15. Just back from my lsr and ran a half marathon in preparation for Enniscorthy. Slow comfortable pace and did not struggle. Finished in 1.40. Well done everyone on their runs. Some impressive distances covered. Keep up the hard work.

Jaysus you're flying it:D Glad to see you're slowing the easy and longer stuff down. The fact that you say you enjoyed it and did not struggle is a good gauge of how the pace/effort should feel. Save the faster stuff for the race days.
    Well done on the 2 x 5ks! I'm sure the team were delighted to have you! Twice!

LSR 13 Mile/ 21km done, the target was 6min per KM, I put in a few faster km's at the start middle and end.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/506140305

LSR 13 Mile/ 21km done, the target was 6min per KM, I put in a few faster km's at the start middle and end.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/506140305

Hey Dub13. Well done on the run today.
    Just looking back at your stats and your DCM goal which is around 9 min/mile. Your pace today being 9:21 would suggest that it was a bit fast. This long slow run is the most important run on the training schedule and it's advised for a novice marathon runner that it should be done 45-90 seconds slower than marathon pace and it should be slow throughout (maybe picking up at the end if feeling really good). You should feel really really comfortable for all of the run and feel like you could chat easily enough during the run.
    Have a read of Post 2 of thread again to see why you need to be running slowly for these runs. I really can't explain it any better than it is there.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hey Dub13. Well done on the run today.
    Just looking back at your stats and your DCM goal which is around 9 min/mile. Your pace today being 9:21 would suggest that it was a bit fast. This long slow run is the most important run on the training schedule and it's advised for a novice marathon runner that it should be done 45-90 seconds slower than marathon pace and it should be slow throughout (maybe picking up at the end if feeling really good). You should feel really really comfortable for all of the run and feel like you could chat easily enough during the run.
    Have a read of Post 2 of thread again to see why you need to be running slowly for these runs. I really can't explain it any better than it is there.

Cheers for the advice, I had an idea it was a bit fast alight. I will be a lot stricter on myself when actually doing the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Managed to beat the rain 2 days in a row! Result! Did 11.8 miles yesterday at 9.40 pace & PB'ed at a Parkrun today by 1 minute. Am v happy camper :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Hey
    That's on July 5th right? If so then I'd work up to 14 for sure! You've loads of time. If it was in a week or two I'd say no, but you've plenty of time to gradually work up to 14 so why not? And yes you're completely right to take a step back week every 3/4 weeks or so.
    Well done on the 12 today! That's fantastic to be up to that distance well advance of the plan. Don't think about full marathon distance at all yet and just take it in small steps/stages. In a few months you'll wonder what you ever worried about:D

Thanks Ososlo! Yes, it's on July 5th so I still have a few weeks to go. I think if I have done the full half distance before the race then I will feel better on the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Didn't beat the rain myself but it was light enough not to bother me. Just did 3 handy miles this evening because I'm going to increase the number of days I'm running. Will get 4 in tomorrow.

vitani wrote: »
    Didn't beat the rain myself but it was light enough not to bother me. Just did 3 handy miles this evening because I'm going to increase the number of days I'm running. Will get 4 in tomorrow.

Any further thoughts on Hanson vitani?

Any further thoughts on Hanson vitani?

Going to do the first few weeks of it now, until it's due to start officially and then go back and repeat them. By the time the intensity kicks in at about Week 5, I'll have had eight weeks to prepare for it.

It might blow up in my face - I know some people here don't recommend it for a first marathon but something about the approach appeals to me. While I'd love to get sub 4, my main goal really is just to finish so I might as well take the risk when I'm not trying to PB or chase a time.

I've just bought the book on Kindle so will read up on it as well.

Going to do the first few weeks of it now, until it's due to start officially and then go back and repeat them. By the time the intensity kicks in at about Week 5, I'll have had eight weeks to prepare for it.

It might blow up in my face - I know some people here don't recommend it for a first marathon but something about the approach appeals to me. While I'd love to get sub 4, my main goal really is just to finish so I might as well take the risk when I'm not trying to PB or chase a time.

I've just bought the book on Kindle so will read up on it as well.

Super! I'm kinda delighted you're going to go for it as it'll be exciting to see how this approach goes for you. And you have the club coaches there to guide you along the way and the support of the other club members. That'll count for a lot. As you say, it's a good time to try it too as it's not pb time. Good on ya gal:D Keep us posted!!!!

I better resurrect my training log!

I better resurrect my training log!

Please do! I was just about to edit my post to add that in! It'll be so interesting for you and others to have your training approach documented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well folks much better second week for myself.. got 3 mid week runs in ranging between 3 and 5 miles and a 10 mile around the Phoenix park this morning making sure to include military hill!!
    So total week of 22 miles running.. wanted to add a cycle yesterday but I was suffering from a self inflicted headache!!

Happy running for the upcoming week everyone!!

Advertisement