Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ososlo wrote: »
    500 ml bottles of water with pop up top.

I think you mean 250 ml. And the lucozade is 380 ml, orange flavour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

gl0Rob wrote: »
    Hi All

Looking for some advice on a time to aim for. Ran Limerick marathon 5 months ago and finished in 4:45 (very enjoyable first 23 miles. Hell for the last 3).

Since then, I've lost a lot of the excess weight and improved my training and all my shorter distance times have come down as a result.

10k: 45:00
    Half: 1:38:00 (Charleville)
    30k last weekend: 2:27:30 (Human Race)

Longs runs have been for the last 6 weeks have been 19m , 20m, 22m, 22m, 23.5m, (19m race). All at 9:39 pace.

What should I be doing for my run this weekend? I do my LSR's on Saturdays so the Race been on a Monday has really confused me as to what I should be doing this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

That's a fantastic improvement and gives great encouragement to a newbie like me.
    Can I ask what type of training you did to get quicker and what were you pb's in those distances around the time of your first marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Murph_D wrote: »
    I think you mean 250 ml. And the lucozade is 380 ml, orange flavour.

No 500 ml for both. Info from Race Office

edit: maybe i got incorrect info as website says 380 for the lucozade sp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Pm1e wrote: »
    Guys could ye send the link for this discussion, I am a belt user too for the simple reason, I like to be able to consume water at my own pace and not have to wait until the next station comes along, its a comfort thing for me but now I'm wondering what it is ye have read. Thanks

Sorry, I'm a new user so not allowed post links etc. Google 'Dublin City marathon' on boards and go to page 39/40, the great debate starts there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

*watergate* its not over yet!

Just putting this here to avoid adding another post, DCM facebook said water bottles will be 330ml and 'as close to every 2.5 miles as we can'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This water conversation is going round in circles. Personally I'm not carrying anything I don't absolutely need.

Back on track, 6 Miles easy. Running in the dark, beautiful clear night, big moon, great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Ososlo wrote: »
    No 500 ml for both. Info from Race Office

edit: maybe i got incorrect info as website says 380 for the lucozade sp

I know it says 500ml bottles on the homepage but you'll find on the day that they'll be handing out smaller bottles (250ml) as well. These are really handy, small enough to carry and sip on after you've picked it up at the drinks station.
    Plus there's people just standing on the side of the road randomly offering drinks, bananas etc a la le tour de France.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

tang1 wrote: »
    Not that you want to hear it, i'd be giving DCM a miss if i were you. Your injured and will not enjoy the experience, i have entered 3 DCM's and yet to make it to the start line cause injury put an end to my chances each time. I could have maybe ran 2 out of the 3 if i wanted but when i do eventually make it to the start i want to be fully fit and enjoy the day.

You could do more damage to yourself by ploughing on through the injury. Have you seen a physio about your foot, if so what is their opinion on you running?

No that is what I was expecting to here to be honest, just don't want to admit defeat yet
    If you haven't been to a physio recently, I'd agree that you would be better skipping DCM. It is dangerous running on something that hasn't healed. For some injuries it would be possible to (say) use a stationary bike for a few hours, or go for a long cycle on a real bike ... to get the cardio workout without the impact. But even for that you'd be better getting the ok from a physio.

I am dealing with an injury at the moment... and the physio's rule was that I must wait till the leg is 100%, and then 2 extra days, before I'm allowed to run at all. Not enjoying the wait but I don't want to do any extra damage, so I am on my best behaviour!

It isn't anything worthy of a physio it is annoying just a badly bruised toe and obviously the problem with that is that I have to use it every day so it is slow to heal, it is massively improved from when it happened, I just think that when I go out and run on it again over a decent distance that it is just going to flare up again

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I usually carry a water bottle on lsr and refill it at shops. Won't carry it on the day though. There was plenty of bottles on offer at my first DCM. My trouble is how to carry gels. I've no pockets big enough. Tried carrying them in my bra but they go warm and disgusting. Think I will maguiver myself a little gel carrier with elastic bands and just carry in my hand. Planning on bringing 4 gels and an energy bar or some jellies to keep hunger at bay.

5 miles fast tonight and felt good! Didn't mean to go fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Ososlo

How would you feel about adding in a sheet to the tracker for predicted finishing times and bib numbers if people are happy to provide them ? We did this for 2012 (not sure if you did for 2013) but it's handy to see who is close by target wise and maybe hook up within the pace group on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

No that is what I was expecting to here to be honest, just don't want to admit defeat yet

It isn't anything worthy of a physio it is annoying just a badly bruised toe and obviously the problem with that is that I have to use it every day so it is slow to heal, it is massively improved from when it happened, I just think that when I go out and run on it again over a decent distance that it is just going to flare up again

Ah, I'm sorry about that. I wonder if a nurse/GP would be able to give some advice on how to protect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Joleigh wrote: »
    I usually carry a water bottle on lsr and refill it at shops. Won't carry it on the day though. There was plenty of bottles on offer at my first DCM. My trouble is how to carry gels. I've no pockets big enough. Tried carrying them in my bra but they go warm and disgusting. Think I will maguiver myself a little gel carrier with elastic bands and just carry in my hand. Planning on bringing 4 gels and an energy bar or some jellies to keep hunger at bay.

5 miles fast tonight and felt good! Didn't mean to go fast.

this works really well...tape the gels to your arms above the elbow - outside of bicep. use a soft waterproof bandage roll (nexclear). you don't even know they are there. Of course always try something new in a test run.....

Hi Ososlo

How would you feel about adding in a sheet to the tracker for predicted finishing times and bib numbers if people are happy to provide them ? We did this for 2012 (not sure if you did for 2013) but it's handy to see who is close by target wise and maybe hook up within the pace group on the day.

Be my guest. People who don't want to be involved don't need to feel any pressure as as we all know the first one should be about having a great experience and not being disappointed not to hit a specific target. Good idea for those who want to though and great thinking to possibly meet up on the morning.
    Fwiw I think you're being very sensible with your target for this year :)
    You've great marathon times ahead of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

After getting pissed on last night while running for the first time in ages, an important reminder note to self:

"Don't wear hair gel on Marathon day" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Lovely 8 mile/13k run tonight out the seafront as the sun was setting. Felt great to get out of the house after 2 days stuck with sick 4 year old (I do care, really!).

Did the first 10k at HMP, about 5:40/km, not intentionally, just felt good. Last 3k deliberately tried to slow down to MP. Overall 5:55/km.

After all the talk about water, belts, etc., my little belt I carry keys in started to really irritate me, had to take it off. It's a message from the marathon gods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Bruised toe or bruised toenail? Have you been to somewhere like amphibian king? They could assess your gait and recommend the right shoes for your stride and the right size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Just in from 7 Mile run. Having a bad week I have to say. Did Tough Mudder (Yes I know this was a mental move on my part!) on Sunday, really enjoyed it and no injuries so am delighted. Took Mon & Tues off totally as was wrecked, got out on Wed for a 5 Mile slow recovery run & although I was feeling tired it was grand, legs a bit tight after so did plenty of stretching. Yesterday it was absolutely lashing raining in the morning so didnt have the motivation to go. Got out this morning and it was prob the worst run I have ever done, just couldnt get going at all, and got the worst stitch at about 3.5 miles that just would not go away whatever stretching I tried, think I must have stopped about 10 times to try and get rid of it. Think last weekend took more of it me than I realised, have a touch of a cold too and feeling run down so wondering should I read the signs and take it a handy until I feel better. Had planned 12 miles for tomorrow morning but might leave it until Sunday and see how I feel. Sorry for the rant, think this taper self-doubt is taking over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Got a quick 10km in on Wednesday night at a fast pace and felt fab after.
    Got a swim in last night which is great as theres no impact but still working the lungs etc. For anyone losing their mind tapering this might be a handy tip. Will get another run in on Sunday morning, thinking 10/12km and have a swim event on Saturday, all in all feeling good for my first DCM 2 weeks out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

very enjoyable 5.5 miles on the road with some club members last night, it was damm cold though! really looking forward to my run home from work this eve, if it goes well I might make it a regular thing. Will do a few relaxing miles on Sunday then, kind of nice not to have the pressure of a longer weekend run, mapping routes etc, taking up half my Saturday :-)

Firedance wrote: »
    kind of nice not to have the pressure of a longer weekend run, mapping routes etc, taking up half my Saturday :-)

Isn't it mad, 3 months ago a 14 mile run was like....whaaaaa?

Now it's a holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Took my new shoes out for a 5 mile spin last night , a little tight at first but my last pair of the same shoes were too so no concerns there (Saucony Ride 6). Had promised to buy a pair of Ride 7's from AKW (Sorry!) but decided it was too risky so close to the big day and stuck with what I know is good before the marathon. And then I'm gonna treat myself to the Ride 7's after the race as a reward (hopefully)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Isn't it mad, 3 months ago a 14 mile run was like....whaaaaa?

Now it's a holiday!

Last night my gf was asking what the plan was this Saturday (in a "how disruptive will your running be" kind of way!) when I said, ah it's grand this week, only doing about a 2hr run. She was surprised, apparently the way I had been talking I had made it sound like this Saturday was about 5km run in terms of difficulty and length! (I was really excited about Taper!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Spent the week wanting a special DCM Novice T-shirt for myself with my details written on it. Just went up town to buy it, knowing it was a bad idea and that Ososlo would kill me for an outfit change now with 17 days to go. Got so stressed in the shop I couldn't buy anything, not even body glide as new packaging!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Did my 15m LSR this morning. I hadn't done much this week at all because I was geting a bit worried a cold was brewing (oh the self obsession of the novice wannabe marathoner!) but felt good this morning & out we went. We had such a good run last week in all that yucky rain I think I was expecting this one to be even better because, after all, it was going to be 5m shorter. Sure, we were on the doss!! Well, the legs felt heavy, the small of the back didn't feel great either. We managed to get 4 aspirational PMP miles in & then slowed down again. The conversation on the 3m drag home was maybe I should go for my plan B pace from the start & take it from there.

After uploading the data, I have just realised I hit 1000m for the year somewhere along Foster's Ave. :) Instant mood lift- happy days are here again! Considering I managed 386m for 2013 I'm absolutely delighted :)

aquinn wrote: »
    Spent the week wanting a special DCM Novice T-shirt for myself with my details written on it. Just went up town to buy it, knowing it was a bad idea and that Ososlo would kill me for an outfit change now with 17 days to go. Got so stressed in the shop I couldn't buy anything, not even body glide as new packaging!
    :D
    show us a picture of the new tee? Try it on a few runs over the next two weeks and your longer run this weekend. I'm sure it'll be fine!
    Sorry for unknowingly stressing you!

Nicsx wrote: »
    Did my 15m LSR this morning. I hadn't done much this week at all because I was geting a bit worried a cold was brewing (oh the self obsession of the novice wannabe marathoner!) but felt good this morning & out we went. We had such a good run last week in all that yucky rain I think I was expecting this one to be even better because, after all, it was going to be 5m shorter. Sure, we were on the doss!! Well, the legs felt heavy, the small of the back didn't feel great either. We managed to get 4 aspirational PMP miles in & then slowed down again. The conversation on the 3m drag home was maybe I should go for my plan B pace from the start & take it from there.

After uploading the data, I have just realised I hit 1000m for the year somewhere along Foster's Ave. :) Instant mood lift- happy days are here again! Considering I managed 386m for 2013 I'm absolutely delighted :)
    That's great mileage for the year so far!!! It'll all stand to you for the big day so you should feel very confident as you're well set up with a great base of endurance.
    Well done on the 15!!!!

I'll be wearing a tee shirt (well, singlet) I have never worn yet also

In fact, I am going out to collect them now - wanna wear it on tonight's run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

As long as the T-shirt is not cotton and fits well I wouldn't forsee a problem.

Rave: 300 Pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I am wearing black shorts and a black Tee shirt (non cotton of course), to make me look slimmer and fitter on the day!! He he :-)
    Belt or no belt is still TBC......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I am wearing black shorts and a black Tee shirt (non cotton of course), to make me look slimmer and fitter on the day!! He he :-)
    Belt or no belt is still TBC......

Advertisement