Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ososlo wrote:
     show us a picture of the new tee? Try it on a few runs over the next two weeks and your longer run this weekend. I'm sure it'll be fine! Sorry for unknowingly stressing you!

I was too stressed out by the idea of something new on race day that I couldn't purchase!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I bought my marathon t shirt on the way home from work today.
    Bought a rather snazzy orange and black coloured Adidas top.
    Took a lot of looking and fretting over what to buy...which is crazy for me as I'm usually in a shop two mins and buy the first thing I see without even trying it on as I hate shopping! Took me a half an hour to decide what to buy tonight.
    Madness!!

It also came in blue and navy but looked waaaaay too much like a Dublin jersey for my liking!

G91451_01_laydown.jpg?sw=500&sfrm=jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

aquinn wrote: »
    I was too stressed out by the idea of something new on race day that I couldn't purchase!

I'm sure whatever you wear you will run awesomely ;)
    Less of the stress. You are really well prepared so sit back and relax and enjoy the taper :)
    it's normal to be feeling this way so close to the race but believe me that once you're standing on that startline the nerves and stress will leave you and then you'll really start to enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Joleigh wrote: »
    I usually carry a water bottle on lsr and refill it at shops. Won't carry it on the day though. There was plenty of bottles on offer at my first DCM. My trouble is how to carry gels. I've no pockets big enough. Tried carrying them in my bra but they go warm and disgusting. Think I will maguiver myself a little gel carrier with elastic bands and just carry in my hand. Planning on bringing 4 gels and an energy bar or some jellies to keep hunger at bay.

5 miles fast tonight and felt good! Didn't mean to go fast.

joleigh, don't put your gels in your bra, from 1 who's been there done that! I did it for a half last year & they cut my poor boobies, very sore worse than chaffing! I got a local tailor to put some extra pockets on the inside of my running leggings, to the front, but on the inside, if you get me, & thats how I plan to carry the gels. Might be worth thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ososlo wrote: »
    Be my guest. People who don't want to be involved don't need to feel any pressure as as we all know the first one should be about having a great experience and not being disappointed not to hit a specific target. Good idea for those who want to though and great thinking to possibly meet up on the morning.
    Fwiw I think you're being very sensible with your target for this year :)
    You've great marathon times ahead of you!

Ok so - new sheet is up at the start of the tracker titled target finishing times.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZJb81V05sKdDVtWmFhbXoyRG9TdU9lTXB5S05PZlE&usp=drive_web#gid=83

As mentioned in earlier post there are two reasons / uses for this.

1 - To allow us to set our targets and see afterwards how near or far in the distance we smashed them. It helps future novices to be able to look back on threads like this and see. Comments section is there as a brief how it went well / didn't (very very rare of course)

2 - If people are happy to post bib numbers it may allow us to recognise each other on the day. Support / encouragement of a fellow boardsie on the way around could make for an easier run (I'm thinking in particular of the drag up chesterfield avenue where a chat may well be the best strategy to take the mind off the boredom of a 3 mile straight road) It's not for everyone though I understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Ok so - new sheet is up at the start of the tracker titled target finishing times.

As before, I'm pretty useless at this stuff but I do love the sheets! If there's someone who could help me out, my goal time is 3.39.59. I can't find my race no. In my conformation email, are they just going to assign you a number on collection?

skittles11 wrote: »
    As before, I'm pretty useless at this stuff but I do love the sheets! If there's someone who could help me out, my goal time is 3.39.59. I can't find my race no. In my conformation email, are they just going to assign you a number on collection?

Won't get bib number until the expo this year. It's just there now to be ready to go later. For the moment it's really all about setting down the target times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Did my LSR last night which was 13.8 miles in lovely running conditions.

Dunno if it was foolish, but I decided that since it was a "short" LSR, I'd try to do it at a good clip as I really needed a boost of confidence and this would be my very last chance to do something a bit faster over a decent distance. I had no particular pace in mind, just a lot faster than my LSRs of the last couple of months.

I kept the first 8 miles all below 10 minutes per mile, then pace started slowing and the last 6 miles were 10:10, 10:18, 10:45, 10:52, 10:55 and 12:00 cooldown pace - all working out at an overall average of 10:16 pace

Since I have decided not to wear it at DCM, I decided to leave the water belt at home and just bring a small hand held bottle. But on the second mile, I realized I'd forgotten the darn water - but I said I'd stay going and make do without. I had a couple of gels on me but I didn't want to take them with having no water. I think the drop off in pace had a bit to do with the fact that I wasn't taking any gels, but moreso, the fact that I was dying with the thirst by then.

I wore my very special new singlet printed especially for DCM. It was a bit too nippy to be wearing just a singlet so had a running jacket on over it. No chafing or anything - but you wouldn't expect there would be. It's grand. I've never worn a singlet before though. Feels a bit weird.

Well done Nicsx on reaching 1,000 miles for the year. I'm still only creeping up on 800. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Feeling super today after my LSR last night, it was a cracking eve as I set off from the office up the quays & did the full drag up chesterfield ave, pace stayed steady throughout & possibly the first time I've ever had that in a run, I had no gels or water but stopped at 5 miles in shop & carried that bottle for 1 mile so got a good feeling for running without & it was grand. Will do a few easy miles tomorrow.

One thing I noticed last night was a blackened toenail, any advice on this? Is it lost already or can I do something to protect it? It was sore last night but feels better today, have never had any toenail issues up to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

skittles11 wrote: »

Same time as me (hopefully!)
    Maybe I'll see you with the pacegroup on the day :D
    MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Firedance wrote: »
    Feeling super today after my LSR last night, it was a cracking eve as I set off from the office up the quays & did the full drag up chesterfield ave, pace stayed steady throughout & possibly the first time I've ever had that in a run, I had no gels or water but stopped at 5 miles in shop & carried that bottle for 1 mile so got a good feeling for running without & it was grand. Will do a few easy miles tomorrow.

One thing I noticed last night was a blackened toenail, any advice on this? Is it lost already or can I do something to protect it? It was sore last night but feels better today, have never had any toenail issues up to this!

Hi Firedance, I've had a few blackened toenails. Has yours blistered?
    The first bruise i got, I thought was a bruise from stubbing my toe but after the third I figured it was definitely my shoes. I bought a pair early September and followed Amphibian King's staff advice to go up a half size. Our feet swell a lot and depending on stride pattern, our toes get a helluva thrashing with all this huge mileage.
    Have a look on the runners world articles and forums. I got rid of mine with the sterilised needle and heated paper clips technique. I don't know how many squeamish people there are this fine Saturday morning so I won't describe the method in detail. It sounds gruesome but works a treat, is painless and make sure to cover with an antiseptic cream afterwards.

Good luck! If it is shoe/size related it might not be too late to break in a new pair of shoes in your current model but a half size up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Running for the week is done.

14 Miles this morning, absolutely beautiful morning, out around Marlay Park, a whole lot of fun. Not much sign of the taper madness so far. I guess I find myself getting an urge to go running a bit more but I may feel it more in the net 2 weeks.

48 Miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I got rid of mine with the sterilised needle and heated paper clips technique. I don't know how many squeamish people there are this fine Saturday morning so I won't describe the method in detail. It sounds gruesome but works a treat, is painless and make sure to cover with an antiseptic cream afterwards.

I'm afraid to check this technique out online, I'm imagining it is pretty gruesome alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

14 lovely, long, slow miles this morning along the Grand Canal with a running buddy. Beautiful morning which started out misty and then turned sunny, well worth setting the alarm for on a Saturday morning.

I have had a lot more time to think about times and pacing strategies for the big day this week. I'm fairly confident I can do up to 20 miles at a faster speed than my LSR but I am worried about the big unknown of the final 6.

I'm thinking of setting off on my LSR pace and just enjoying the experience. I know some people think the marathon should be raced but as a newbie doing my first, I don't want to burn out or get injured and have to face the prospect of not finishing. When I signed up for this I didn't have a time target, I just wanted to finish it so I will be immensely happy with that (but obviously I would be even happier if I could do it sub 5 hours!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

This happens to me a lot. I've got properly fitted shoes & have actually had to go up a full size. I was told it's because my second toe is as long if not slightly longer than my big toe. In my experience, once the nail goes black it's only a matter of time before it's gone. Having said that it's never been painful. As you can imagine, my feet are not my best feature at the mo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks dubgal! Id be afraid to look at that method too esp this close to dcm!! I got my runners in AK ashtown & theyre half size bigger, hopefully the toenail causes no pain between now & then...

Nicsx yes my second toe is lionger & that's the black one! I think I've gotten away lightly up to this in that area!
    Beautiful day for a run folks, enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats!! Black toenails are a badge of honour - well done you :D

Following my marathon in April, I had about 6 black toe nails and they all took months to recover - only getting back to normal now (bar 1 big toe nail) - oh yes - they need to fall off 1st before the recover............... nothing to worry about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

I agree black toenails are a definite badge of honour.

On the beach this Summer in Spain I always got so many telling glances from other runners when they spotted the black nails.

Right so - black toenails are a badge I have not worn / earned nor do I want to :)

However I am curious. If your nail falls off and a new nail has to be grown is it not mega uncomfortable / painful even to have a raw toe rubbing off socks / shoes etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Another lsr in the bag. Stepped back to 16 miles today after a long one last week. Legs felt very sluggish and the motivation to get out wasn't as strong but once I got a few miles in it was grand. Need to take it very handy next week as don't feel any taper benefits yet but in fairness my midweek stuff was as per usual. Think I will cut it back to 3 miles 5 miles 3 miles this week with a 10 miler or so at the weekend. Maybe less if needed. Looking forward to getting the marathon day over with now. It has been a long training cycle. Looking forward to doing other stuff though I am sure I will miss the routine of the runs as well. I actually enjoy doing the lsrs on my own, going out into the countryside. Great way to clear the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Ran the first half of the marathon course this morning, will post a detailed description later, but to reassure everyone the hills are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

Right so - black toenails are a badge I have not worn / earned nor do I want to :)

However I am curious. If your nail falls off and a new nail has to be grown is it not mega uncomfortable / painful even to have a raw toe rubbing off socks / shoes etc ?
    I feel no pain when the nail falls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Surprisingly not, I got one earlier this year and its there and then one day it just decides to lift off. the nail area was a little tender but not noticeable and then one day I just noticed that a new one had grown back. hardly noticed anything at all.

I don't want that badge either thanks very much!!! I'm happy not to ever call myself a runner if that's what it takes!!!!

MLC_biker wrote: »
    Ran the first half of the marathon course this morning, will post a detailed description later, but to reassure everyone the hills are fine

Well done and great idea to post that up for the others later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Usually it takes 3-4 months for it to fall off if it's a big toe, and by then 2/3 of the new toe is grown underneath (it pushes the old one off). I've had three of these over the years and only one of those times had pain when it was detaching.

An extra thing to do to prevent them is to try to keep the toenails short. Especially before races and long runs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've never been one to go up a half a size up in running shoes, I hate the feeling of my foot moving around in the shoe especially in the heel area. As a result I've had a few issues with my toes etc, I do find after about 100 miles the shoe seems to stretch out or something.

Maybe I'll chance a bigger shoe one of these days.

This is pretty cool:

Kurt Godel wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I went a tiny bit bigger with my current runners and I've had a bit of trouble ever since with tiny pebbles getting into my runners on nearly every single run. I think it was last weekends 21.2 mile LSR, I finished with 3 of the feckers scootching around in my runners! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Ive come on for a bit of a moan, apologies in advance!! Feeling awful, knew I wasnt right all week, and yesterday had an awful run, and today it has really kicked in, cold or flu kinda thing, feeling awful. Supposed to do 12 mile tomorrow just dont think I could even do 1!! This week have only done a 5 & a 7. Just wondering how bad is it to be missing runs at this stage? Didnt do anything today, and extremely doubtful about tomorrow. At this stage how bad is this :-( I am feeling really stressed & worried about DCM, I know its just cuz Im sick and feeling very very sorry for myself!!! Do I take it handy for a few days and dose myself up big time and get rid of this thing, or do I try and continue to do a few miles (as possibly fall into a ditch in the process?!!) Is missing runs with only 2 weeks to go a serious no no?

Advertisement