Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

adrian522 wrote: »
    I've never been one to go up a half a size up in running shoes, I hate the feeling of my foot moving around in the shoe especially in the heel area. As a result I've had a few issues with my toes etc, I do find after about 100 miles the shoe seems to stretch out or something.

Maybe I'll chance a bigger shoe one of these days.

I did a HM distance today and it went well. Interesting I changed back to my New Balance runners M770's (training in Asics Gel Kayanos), and my niggly knee is fine tonight....weird, maybe there is too much cushioning and heel strike going on with the Asics? Felt as if I was landing a bit better with them and felt a tad quicker too, toes still not black either......

The NB's are half a size up on my regular size 10's and are normally my 10k race shoes, they might just be going on a 4 hour trip with me on the 27th!!
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

EXHAUSTED!
    LSR done this morning, the first time I think I was actually looking forward to a run as I thought it would be easy as 'only 15miles'. Legs weren't great for it and started again at O'Connell St down the Quays and nearly gave up between miles 2-3 with all the tourists on the path. I shouldn't have gone that route as it was nearly 10 so too busy.
    Didn't enjoy Chesterfield and then when I left the park I was ok and down around and back into it. Nice small Guinness Triathlon happening in the park today so a small distraction. Into Chapelizod and over the bridge and up the hill. I ran the whole thing too fast as avg pace coming out as 9.09. Legs weren't great I think from spending all day yesterday in boots that my calves had no flexibility in so that's why they weren't great today. Breakfast was a banana and half a bag of jellies. I still can't take a jelly and not choke on some part of it. Very unpleasant. One bonus of having a drink in hand on the day.
    What else? Tried a banana gel today for the first time and thought it would be manky but its ok. Only took the one gel today. Also did nearly 17 miles.
    Willing the doorbell to ring now with my dinner!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mimojo wrote: »
    Ive come on for a bit of a moan, apologies in advance!! Feeling awful, knew I wasnt right all week, and yesterday had an awful run, and today it has really kicked in, cold or flu kinda thing, feeling awful. Supposed to do 12 mile tomorrow just dont think I could even do 1!! This week have only done a 5 & a 7. Just wondering how bad is it to be missing runs at this stage? Didnt do anything today, and extremely doubtful about tomorrow. At this stage how bad is this :-( I am feeling really stressed & worried about DCM, I know its just cuz Im sick and feeling very very sorry for myself!!! Do I take it handy for a few days and dose myself up big time and get rid of this thing, or do I try and continue to do a few miles (as possibly fall into a ditch in the process?!!) Is missing runs with only 2 weeks to go a serious no no?

Definitly skip tomorrows run, in terms of fitness all the work is now done, these runs are about getting sharp for race day, much better skip a day or 2 and get over your cold than to go out running and potentially making things worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Did a park run this morning first one in ages. I didn't race it but done it at a nice brisk jog pace.
    Its funny. I spent months and months unable to break 25mins for a 5k. I often got sick at the finishing line after busting a gut only to get a time in the high 25mins or even into the 26min bracket.
    Today I just done what I felt was a comfortable run.
    I wasn't in anyway racing and I finished in 24:11.

Just goes to show all this training is working. I'm looking forward to getting back to racing these park runs once this Marathon is over!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thinking about running Kilkenny parkrun next weekend, would anyone think there would be an issue with running a 5K 9 days out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Thinking about running Kilkenny parkrun next weekend, would anyone think there would be an issue with running a 5K 9 days out?

What's the hurry?
    There'll be another 20 Kilkenny parkruns in the 20 weeks after the marathon!
    Stay away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Definitly skip tomorrows run, in terms of fitness all the work is now done, these runs are about getting sharp for race day, much better skip a day or 2 and get over your cold than to go out running and potentially making things worse.

Cheers! I think I just needed someone to tell me that! I guess I should be thankful that its not that I a feeling crap rather than in two weeks time, its just SO frustrating, and I guess as the marathon is such an unknown it is really worrying me. Hopefully can shake this in a couple of days all going well. I just wasnt sure how much damage it was doing missing runs so thanks for the reassurance!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    What's the hurry?
    There'll be another 20 Kilkenny parkruns in the 20 weeks after the marathon!
    Stay away!

Why do you say this? I'm going to be running 10 miles that day anyway, what would be the risk in running it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Why do you say this? I'm going to be running 10 miles that day anyway, what would be the risk in running it?

But I assume you'll be running most of the 10 miles at PMP + about 1 minute with maybe 3 of them at PMP.

None at 5K race pace.

Well I run sessions at 5-10K pace every Monday anyway. I may just leave it be, just a shame as I'll be in Kilkenny anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well I run sessions at 5-10K pace every Monday anyway. I may just leave it be, just a shame as I'll be in Kilkenny anyway.

But you don't run a marathon every week 9 days later :cool:

No but I still plan on running 10K pace stuff on monday week which is 7 days out.

Anyway I'll leave the parkrun alone.

No but I still plan on running 10K pace stuff on monday week which is 7 days out.

Anyway I'll leave the parkrun alone.

Really? I don't think anyone would recommend that. Most plans wouldn't have you doing anything faster than easy running so close to the race, bar maybe a couple of MP miles.
    What benefit do you think you'll get from it?

I'm just following a plan and it has 2x(3 x 800m) @ 10K pace in it.

Advice I've seen for the taper has always said to keep the intensity and reduce the volume.

Would you recommend all easy running for the last week or so?

I'm just following a plan and it has 3 x 800m @ 10K pace in it.

Advice I've seen for the taper has always said to keep the intensity and reduce the volume.

Would you recommend all easy running for the last week or so?

I think that normally applies to the last couple of weeks, but generally race week is just easy running to keep the legs moving. No pressure to hit paces etc.

From anything I've read on here, any sort of session in the week before the race wouldn't be advised, as it's not going to do you any good in time for the race but may have a detrimental effect (mentally/physically) on your marathon if everything doesn't go to plan.

Maybe someone who knows better than me can explain it more clearly?

Thanks I appreciate the advice. I'll skip the parkrun for sure and run the question on the last week by AMK who has done this plan in the past.

Thanks I appreciate the advice. I'll skip the parkrun for sure and run the question on the last week by AMK who has done this plan in the past.

Good idea ;)

Hi,

Just messaged AMK and he also recommends not doing the session, maybe adding some strides to easy miles. I guess the session is getting dropped, can't be ignoring advice from those that have been there and done that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I pm'd you, but my advice is to bin the session. Too risky to get a tweak. All the work is done.

A lot of experienced runners may do a race or faster session. I didn't and wouldn't advise it.

Thanks, do you feel the same about next weeks session or should that be ok?

• Advertisement

Thanks, do you feel the same about next weeks session or should that be ok?

The only one I binned was the 800's, all the rest I'd do, but REALLY listen to your body, not the phantom pains, but real ones. If you bin a session, replace it with easy run + strides.
    It's a fine line between being tired & sluggish. You'll need some intensity to keep sharp.

Be prepared to be lethargic and wonder how you'll manage MP for 26 miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tippbiffo

tony mangan is passing through wexford on his quest to run Ireland after his lap of the world ! Had intended to join him for a few miles but it is 4 days before DCM . I was thinking 6 miles it will be at a 12 min mile pace . Is it too close to marathon to be running this distance ?

Be prepared to be lethargic and wonder how you'll manage MP for 26.2 miles :)

FYP ;)

tippbiffo wrote: »
    tony mangan is passing through wexford on his quest to run Ireland after his lap of the world ! Had intended to join him for a few miles but it is 4 days before DCM . I was thinking 6 miles it will be at a 12 min mile pace . Is it too close to marathon to be running this distance ?

Can't see that doing you any harm at that pace tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

What would your marathon pace be? If it's a good bit faster than 12 min mile you'll be fine! Sounds like a fun thing to do!

Should be fine. The man deserves all the support he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Congrats!! Black toenails are a badge of honour - well done you :D

Following my marathon in April, I had about 6 black toe nails and they all took months to recover - only getting back to normal now (bar 1 big toe nail) - oh yes - they need to fall off 1st before the recover............... nothing to worry about :P

Paint them red and no one will notice. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Mimojo wrote: »
    Cheers! I think I just needed someone to tell me that! I guess I should be thankful that its not that I a feeling crap rather than in two weeks time, its just SO frustrating, and I guess as the marathon is such an unknown it is really worrying me. Hopefully can shake this in a couple of days all going well. I just wasnt sure how much damage it was doing missing runs so thanks for the reassurance!

Really hope you're feeling better soon. Rest up, drink loads and think of it as a good chance for your legs to recover and get ready for the big day. Better sick now than in 2 weeks.

Joleigh wrote: »
    Paint them red and no one will notice. :p

All black is better! Damn schellic is expensive :)

2 daughters, I know all this stuff :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

So today's run was designed to see what the first half of the marathon course is like. Caught the Dart to Pearse, started run from there around 10:30, given clocks go back the BH weekend could be similar weather conditions. Cold, around 7c, but sunny. Start area is shady and noticeably cold, make sure you have warm throwaway clothes. Fairly flat along Stephens Green, Coombe, slight climb up Meath St, drop back Dame St to the quays. Nice running by the river, will be even better with no traffic. Crossed the river at Heuston. Now comes the first climb.. Parkgate St as far as the Zoo. Important not to go too quickly, but it isn't too severe or long. The rest of the run up to Castleknock is a gentle enough climb, boredom the biggest risk, actually flattens after Furze Rd. Further than I thought to Castleknock, then a long downhill past Mt Sackville. Back into the park up to junction with Furze Road, then downhill to Chapelizod gate (reverse of HM route). Turn right out the gate, back across the river. St Laurence Road there two climbs under bypass and under railway (think I got route right :-) ) . Both are short but steep, after 8 miles it's important to take them easy, will raise heart rate but subsequent downhill allows recovery. At the SCR I left marathon route to head to town. What observations? Nothing in this section should be too challenging to anyone who has put in the training. Big temperature difference between shade and sunny parts of the route. Had 1 gel at Castleknock and a litre of water / sports drink mix, so definitely no need to carry on the day . Talcum powder on feet, bodyglide means no chafing :-). Have decided to stick with 4:50 as target, can't see the point of 10 minutes faster and having to work so hard I don't enjoy the day. If I feel good can pose at the end!

Advertisement