Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great report MLC biker!!!
    Make sure to practice that pose;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

aquinn wrote: »
    EXHAUSTED!
    LSR done this morning, the first time I think I was actually looking forward to a run as I thought it would be easy as 'only 15miles'. Legs weren't great for it and started again at O'Connell St down the Quays and nearly gave up between miles 2-3 with all the tourists on the path. I shouldn't have gone that route as it was nearly 10 so too busy.
    Didn't enjoy Chesterfield and then when I left the park I was ok and down around and back into it. Nice small Guinness Triathlon happening in the park today so a small distraction. Into Chapelizod and over the bridge and up the hill. I ran the whole thing too fast as avg pace coming out as 9.09. Legs weren't great I think from spending all day yesterday in boots that my calves had no flexibility in so that's why they weren't great today. Breakfast was a banana and half a bag of jellies. I still can't take a jelly and not choke on some part of it. Very unpleasant. One bonus of having a drink in hand on the day.
    What else? Tried a banana gel today for the first time and thought it would be manky but its ok. Only took the one gel today. Also did nearly 17 miles.
    Willing the doorbell to ring now with my dinner!

Clif shot bloks energy chews are quite easy to "eat" on the run. Not very chewy at all compared to sweets or jellies so might not have you choking. Taste grand too. Only place I've found them are AK ashtown. Might be a bit too sweet for the tummy for some people, I'd only have a couple during an lsr - certainly couldn't imagine having the 3 - 6 per hour of activity as recommended on the pack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Clif shot bloks energy chews are quite easy to "eat" on the run. Not very chewy at all compared to sweets or jellies so might not have you choking. Taste grand too. Only place I've found them are AK ashtown. Might be a bit too sweet for the tummy for some people, I'd only have a couple during an lsr - certainly couldn't imagine having the 3 - 6 per hour of activity as recommended on the pack :)

I noticed the shot block jellies in Snow and Rock in Dundrum Town Centre a couple of months back. I presume they still have them, been meaning to try them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

laura_ac3 wrote: »

They have them in the cycle shop in Howth, but not the margarita ones with extra salt I was looking for. If anyone sees them anywhere (within reason.....lets say east of the shannon) let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I was at meal the other day (carbs for me) in a mixed group and a lad at the table mentioned a few times that he was running a lot of 10k distances, up to 2/3 times a week. I decided to say 'fair play, you must be very fit' and not to mention the fact that I had entered the DCM for the first time, as I did not want to take the wind out of his sails.

Cheesecake was for dessert (hmmm cheesecake), to which he said he had no problem eating as he was going for a 10k run in the morning, to which a mutual friend said 'what date are you doing the DCM Steve (aka Smashiner)?'

The poor lad nearly choked on his first fork full of strawberry cheesecake and spun in his chair to look at me with 'murderous rage' in his eyes........so funny it was worth the 85 Euros entry fee alone for that. I tried to play it down (ah its my first one etc), but secretly I was beaming inside to be considered a 'marathon runner' for the first time in my life.........then I ate my cheesecake with an extra dollop of cream on the side!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

xElDeeX wrote: »
    They have them in the cycle shop in Howth, but not the margarita ones with extra salt I was looking for. If anyone sees them anywhere (within reason.....lets say east of the shannon
    ) let me know!
    I'm pretty sure they have these in cycleways on Parnell st & wheelworx liffey valley, not sure which flavours but give them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Giving my LSR a miss this weekend! Not too happy about it but under orders from wife and sister (who happens to be a sports physio!) as my knee is a little sore again. Sister says it's my hamstring tendon that's the problem. Anyone else suffered with this? I'm told rest, ice, stretch is the key. I'm also told and I guess I already know, if I don't give it time now I won't arrive at the start in top form. I'm. Just a bit frustrated by it as this is my 3rd marathon I've trained up for but have yet to run one. Been struck out by injury the last 2 years.

Somebody posted about the cold and the temperature difference between sun and shade around the start area and the first few miles in relation to wearing extra clothes that you can throw away. I started out in Dundrum and ran through there last week and even with 10km or so in the bank I found it very cold and windy once I got into the shaded streets and stayed cold all the way up the Liffey. Didn't really warm up again till Chesterfield ave. I think some long sleeves and maybe a hat are a good idea. Maybe even a pair of trackies to keep the knees warm before the start.

Firedance wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they have these in cycleways on Parnell st & wheelworx liffey valley, not sure which flavours but give them a call

That's great. Will do that...thanks!

skittles11 wrote: »
    Giving my LSR a miss this weekend! Not too happy about it but under orders from wife and sister (who happens to be a sports physio!) as my knee is a little sore again. Sister says it's my hamstring tendon that's the problem. Anyone else suffered with this? I'm told rest, ice, stretch is the key. I'm also told and I guess I already know, if I don't give it time now I won't arrive at the start in top form. I'm. Just a bit frustrated by it as this is my 3rd marathon I've trained up for but have yet to run one. Been struck out by injury the last 2 years.

Somebody posted about the cold and the temperature difference between sun and shade around the start area and the first few miles in relation to wearing extra clothes that you can throw away. I started out in Dundrum and ran through there last week and even with 10km or so in the bank I found it very cold and windy once I got into the shaded streets and stayed cold all the way up the Liffey. Didn't really warm up again till Chesterfield ave. I think some long sleeves and maybe a hat are a good idea. Maybe even a pair of trackies to keep the knees warm before the start.

Good call by the wife and sister. Don't worry about missing a run at this stage. Much more important not to be injured at that start line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

marathon route 'flyover' - thanks to bb67 for posting elsewhere.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/render_route_video?route_id=557174056

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

"Reminders for the SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon:
    - If you are looking to change waves then you will have to email office@dublinmarathon.ie but before 5pm tomorrow (12th) as this is the cut off.
    - Our charity entries are still available at €200 with the funds being divided between our two charities this year - St Johns Ambulance & Down Syndrome Centre. This will close on Monday the 13th and our systems will be shut down and updated."
    From fb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning, beautiful day for having breakfast in the garden. I thought it would be warm yesterday as weather had 12-14 degrees. I wore those race sleeves and didn't get too warm at all which I thought I would. They are very handy and I got them in Elverys. They are Nike so would be easy to get.
    Has anyone found skin shield, AK Ashtown used to have it but now only seem to have bodyglide which is more of a wax. Anyone found one like a roll on deodorant? Runways too now only have the wax bodyglide which I don't like. Thanks.
    Oh and unfortunately think the sub 4 marathon is beyond me, just. Will start with the 4 hour pacers but don't see myself lasting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

12 mile lsr this morning.Beautiful morning for a run. Was a bit cold at the start but I warmed up quick enough. Was a really enjoyable run.
    Getting close now to big day now.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Will start with the 4 hour pacers but don't see myself lasting.

Would you be better off starting with 4:10 or so if you think you're not gonna last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Morning, beautiful day for having breakfast in the garden. I thought it would be warm yesterday as weather had 12-14 degrees. I wore those race sleeves and didn't get too warm at all which I thought I would. They are very handy and I got them in Elverys. They are Nike so would be easy to get.
    Has anyone found skin shield, AK Ashtown used to have it but now only seem to have bodyglide which is more of a wax. Anyone found one like a roll on deodorant? Runways too now only have the wax bodyglide which I don't like. Thanks.
    Oh and unfortunately think the sub 4 marathon is beyond me, just. Will start with the 4 hour pacers but don't see myself lasting.

Keep up the positivity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corrib man

Ah, feet up on the couch and they'll see plenty of it for the next two weeks!! Lovely 13 miles done earlier in glorious sunshine. Going to enjoy this tapering lark now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

hello DCM tapering I have been waiting for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

I did my longest ever run of 14.5 miles this morning running up Chesterfield Avenue so that I knew what to expect in two weeks time as the race series never went up that road, only down.
    Lots of runners were out and about with most looking like Gazelle's compared to my pace of 12 min miles.
    I was hoping to get in a few more miles as I'm very aware that I needed a longer run than this but time beat me as I had to be in work at midday.
    I am already a week behind others tapering so assume that I am best easing off now to give my body time to feel fresh on race day?
    After a heavy days drinking on Friday I was not fully recovered as my legs felt sluggish right from the start. Hopefully I will move a lot easier on the day.
    The good news is that my knee's felt fine. The bad news was that my right hip was one of a few niggles that flared up along with the long bone that runs underneath my foot from my heel to my toes. Hopefully this will settle down by the 27th.

Due to having to give myself a few days rest in between runs to help my knee's I've decided on running 8 miles on Wednesday and 10 miles on Friday or Saturday followed by 4 miles on Tuesday and 2 miles on the following Friday. Does this sound reasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

MKDTH wrote: »
    I did my longest ever run of 14.5 miles this morning

Good luck in the marathon! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Last long run for me 16 miles with 4 x 2.5 mile repeats @ mp, had to take my base layer off half way, where would I get sleeves for DCM that I can throw away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Terenure ->Rathgar->Milltown->Clonskeagh->Roebuck->UCD->Merrion full of runners this morning, lots of medium/long runs being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I did my longest ever run of 14.5 miles this morning running up Chesterfield Avenue so that I knew what to expect in two weeks time as the race series never went up that road, only down.
    Lots of runners were out and about with most looking like Gazelle's compared to my pace of 12 min miles.
    I was hoping to get in a few more miles as I'm very aware that I needed a longer run than this but time beat me as I had to be in work at midday.
    I am already a week behind others tapering so assume that I am best easing off now to give my body time to feel fresh on race day?
    After a heavy days drinking on Friday I was not fully recovered as my legs felt sluggish right from the start. Hopefully I will move a lot easier on the day.
    The good news is that my knee's felt fine. The bad news was that my right hip was one of a few niggles that flared up along with the long bone that runs underneath my foot from my heel to my toes. Hopefully this will settle down by the 27th.

Due to having to give myself a few days rest in between runs to help my knee's I've decided on running 8 miles on Wednesday and 10 miles on Friday or Saturday followed by 4 miles on Tuesday and 2 miles on the following Friday. Does this sound reasonable?

I don't think anyone can give you advice as to whether your plan for the next 2 weeks is reasonable because the only reasonable thing for you to do would be not to run the marathon. However you seem determined to give it a shot anyway so best of luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Tralee 10k done in 44:13. Low enough numbers resulted in running most of it on my own, a minute behind and a minute ahead of the closest runners. For the third 10k in a row I really struggle around miles 3.5 to 5.5, it's become a pattern. Once I get through it I get back on pace, but it's costing me a minute or so on the overall race time. Happy enough with the time today, no more to give with DCM looming large. Day off tomorrow, maybe a game of squash. 14-16 miles Tuesday and onwards to proper taper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Taper time!! :-) Lsr of 18 miles this glorious morning. Struggled to hold myself back but kept telling myself that this is what it would feel like on 'The Day' and to keep fresh as long as possible - I run without a watch. Had a fast finish build up planned from mile 12 (took first gel then), felt really good, pace choppy and felt comfortable. Second gel at 15 miles, flying by 16 miles. Long drag of a hill with one mile to go slowed me down but all in all felt really good. Pleasant surprise on return, clock showed run took 2 hours 28 mins.
    Question for you all (mothers may know): I felt my first chafing today, probably because of quicker pace. I need to get hold of something, what are the options, body glide, Vaseline? Has anyone tried Bepanthen (that's the mammy question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Dude - I salute your lunacy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Taper time!! :-) Lsr of 18 miles this glorious morning. Struggled to hold myself back but kept telling myself that this is what it would feel like on 'The Day' and to keep fresh as long as possible - I run without a watch. Had a fast finish build up planned from mile 12 (took first gel then), felt really good, pace choppy and felt comfortable. Second gel at 15 miles, flying by 16 miles. Long drag of a hill with one mile to go slowed me down but all in all felt really good. Pleasant surprise on return, clock showed run took 2 hours 28 mins.
    Question for you all (mothers may know): I felt my first chafing today, probably because of quicker pace. I need to get hold of something, what are the options, body glide, Vaseline? Has anyone tried Bepanthen (that's the mammy question :)
    Vaseline suffices for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Tyrone_03 wrote: »
    Vaseline suffices for me.

Thanks, I'll give it a try, have a MP 10 mile planned next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Last long run for me 16 miles with 4 x 2.5 mile repeats @ mp, had to take my base layer off half way, where would I get sleeves for DCM that I can throw away?
    elverys have nike sleeves €15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Right people, brace yourself for this epic taper weekly write up.....

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - 20 minute swim. So basically, rest!
    Thursday - extensive PT session. No injuries - just alot of tightness through the left side causing the niggles. Worked on loosening it all out.
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - rest. Still tender from Thursday but thought about doing one of the shorter runs. Until a trip to the vet with the cat turned into a "more tests needed on Monday...but be prepared for bad news" chat. Moped around for the afternoon spoiling said cat.
    Sunday - 12 mile lsr. Niggles much improved. Great day for it in the park. Pace was all over the shop though, couldn't really settle into a rhythm and legs a tad sluggish. Probably my lack of runs and sharpness from the week. Enjoyed it though.

So my start of taper was a bit extreme but I wanted to sort the niggles and make sure they were nothing serious. Ready to pick up with my plan this week.

Two observations from my week of non running. I had lots more time for household tasks - my OH commented on how often he come home to find me doing dishes. Which I hate, I usually try avoid doing dishes like the plague. Also, I didn't go through as much gear and clothes for washing!! :)

Random story but today in the park I was running behind a couple and the man was carrying your ones handbag. Now, it wasn't one of these "manbags" people have, was definitely her handbag. Thought it was strange, if you bring a handbag - you carry it!

Happy running :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Dude - I salute your lunacy. :D

Now who do I remind you of??? ;) (Pacing Mule)

Advertisement