Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Does anyone have any guidance on the Clonakilty Full marathon? By which I mean - is the hill content much worse than DCM?

My lower leg is still not right and if I'm not at "100% plus 2 extra days" by this Friday I'm going to decide to be a supporter and not a runner. The leg has been feeling 85% or better since Wednesday but the final 15% does not seem to be kicking in ....

Have been very jealous of the reports of 14, 15, 18 mile runs on the forum. You're so lucky! But c'est la vie

aquinn, you will fly that sub-4hr - didn't you do a 15miles or something at 4hr pace a week ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

MKDTH wrote: »
    Now who do I remind you of??? ;) (Pacing Mule)

Ha yeah we both know who you are on about here lol. I think I even said it to you before that I have been partial to this kind of tilt at DCM injured :P

But you have crossed my line in the sand and it's that far behind you it can't be seen anymore ! :pac:

I really do hope you get around ok though. I had a really tough experience in 2012 but was very happy with myself for doing it. I'm sure you will be in the same boat. :) And maybe you will come back too afterwards to give it a go properly trained too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I did my longest ever run of 14.5 miles this morning running up Chesterfield Avenue so that I knew what to expect in two weeks time as the race series never went up that road, only down.
    Lots of runners were out and about with most looking like Gazelle's compared to my pace of 12 min miles.
    I was hoping to get in a few more miles as I'm very aware that I needed a longer run than this but time beat me as I had to be in work at midday.
    I am already a week behind others tapering so assume that I am best easing off now to give my body time to feel fresh on race day?
    After a heavy days drinking on Friday I was not fully recovered as my legs felt sluggish right from the start. Hopefully I will move a lot easier on the day.
    The good news is that my knee's felt fine. The bad news was that my right hip was one of a few niggles that flared up along with the long bone that runs underneath my foot from my heel to my toes. Hopefully this will settle down by the 27th.

Due to having to give myself a few days rest in between runs to help my knee's I've decided on running 8 miles on Wednesday and 10 miles on Friday or Saturday followed by 4 miles on Tuesday and 2 miles on the following Friday. Does this sound reasonable?

I don't think you should run 8 miles on Wed and 10 on Friday if you still have quite serious niggles. It could just push you over the edge. Please just take each day as it comes and don't stick to a plan of running if you have niggles. More rest and less running will probably serve you better in the long run. You can't really make any fitness gains in the next 2 weeks but you can do damage to your body running on niggles.

I know you want to just complete the marathon and don't have any time ambitions but you really need to mind yourself. Less is more at this stage. I know you're determined to do it and have been from day 1 and no one is going to deter you from doing it. You've had lots of warnings from the very beginning about what it might be like for you due to your very recent taking-up of the sport and how it's all just too much too soon so no one can say anything more to help change your mind.

I presume you'll head out with a walk/run strategy on the day? Please please please do yourself a favour and bring enough money to get a taxi/bus if you have to stop on the day. If you feel serious damage is being done to your body please consider stopping and not pushing on through serious pain.
    DCM 2014 is just one race and keep reminding yourself of that fact. Don't do something that will stop you running for a long long period of time. I get the impression that you like running a lot so try to look beyond DCM and to other running goals you'd like to achieve in the future. If your body is crying out on the day for you to stop please just stop. It's just not worth pushing on through pain.

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Tralee 10k done in 44:13. Low enough numbers resulted in running most of it on my own, a minute behind and a minute ahead of the closest runners. For the third 10k in a row I really struggle around miles 3.5 to 5.5, it's become a pattern. Once I get through it I get back on pace, but it's costing me a minute or so on the overall race time. Happy enough with the time today, no more to give with DCM looming large. Day off tomorrow, maybe a game of squash. 14-16 miles Tuesday and onwards to proper taper.

Well done JohnDozer! Is that a pb?
    Take it very easy for a few days to recover well from that. Don't push the 14-16 Tuesday if you're not fully recovered. I'd keep it all very easy if you do it or do a slightly shorter run.
    2 weeks to go.......

Does anyone have any guidance on the Clonakilty Full marathon? By which I mean - is the hill content much worse than DCM?

My lower leg is still not right and if I'm not at "100% plus 2 extra days" by this Friday I'm going to decide to be a supporter and not a runner. The leg has been feeling 85% or better since Wednesday but the final 15% does not seem to be kicking in ....

Have been very jealous of the reports of 14, 15, 18 mile runs on the forum. You're so lucky! But c'est la vie

aquinn, you will fly that sub-4hr - didn't you do a 15miles or something at 4hr pace a week ago?

Thread on it here.
    Very sensible to be thinking about other options. I really hope you're 100% soon. Not easy reading about others' running endeavours...
    I agree about aquinn;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Ha yeah we both know who you are on about here lol. I think I even said it to you before that I have been partial to this kind of tilt at DCM injured :P

But you have crossed my line in the sand and it's that far behind you it can't be seen anymore ! :pac:

I really do hope you get around ok though. I had a really tough experience in 2012 but was very happy with myself for doing it. I'm sure you will be in the same boat. :) And maybe you will come back too afterwards to give it a go properly trained too.

Na I think I'm just a bit of a moaner - its the 'Englishness' coming out in me. I'm under trained but confident I will complete although not quite at your pace this time, but yeah next year I will be back looking to go under four hours so should be around your pace by then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Only 44 miles done this week, what I am going to be like next week when it drops again..? I will be in Spain next weekend so be nice to run in a warmer environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

Nice 13 miles this morning. Ran up
    Chesterfield, into Castleknock and followed this years course to kilmanham before finishing back in the park. Very long slow incline from the start of Chesterfield up to Castleknock but it's actually not so bad running up there - I was expecting worse and I had 4 or so miles in the legs before hitting chesterfield. The hill out of chapelizod hasn't gotten any flatter since last year :-( Lovely run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I only know the elevation profile was a good bit different than Dublin in 2012, couldn't be sure but I don't think they've changed it that much. Two challenging climbs I think, one around mile 9ish and one mile 20ish. Starts and finishes in the same place though so what goes up must come down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Ososlo wrote: »
    I don't think you should run 8 miles on Wed and 10 on Friday if you still have quite serious niggles. It could just push you over the edge. Please just take each day as it comes and don't stick to a plan of running if you have niggles. More rest and less running will probably serve you better in the long run. You can't really make any fitness gains in the next 2 weeks but you can do damage to your body running on niggles.

I know you want to just complete the marathon and don't have any time ambitions but you really need to mind yourself. Less is more at this stage. I know you're determined to do it and have been from day 1 and no one is going to deter you from doing it. You've had lots of warnings from the very beginning about what it might be like for you due to your very recent taking-up of the sport and how it's all just too much too soon so no one can say anything more to help change your mind.

I presume you'll head out with a walk/run strategy on the day? Please please please do yourself a favour and bring enough money to get a taxi/bus if you have to stop on the day. If you feel serious damage is being done to your body please consider stopping and not pushing on through serious pain.
    DCM 2014 is just one race and keep reminding yourself of that fact. Don't do something that will stop you running for a long long period of time. I get the impression that you like running a lot so try to look beyond DCM and to other running goals you'd like to achieve in the future. If your body is crying out on the day for you to stop please just stop. It's just not worth pushing on through pain.

I appreciate your reply and understand my lack of miles under my belt being the main concern. I have had three opinions from Sports Physio, Doctor and Surgeon all saying they are happy for me to run. My knee operation to repair my cartilage has been put back until mid November so I am all good to go.

The Wednesday and Friday runs were a miscalculation and will have a three or four day gap.

I am honestly in two minds as how to approach DCM. Since I started training again I've had a month longer stride than previously due to a fair bit of work I've been doing on my hamstrings. Its made me think the way I previously approached long slow runs made me feel like I was jogging on the spot thus causing more impact on my knees due to taking quite a lot more steps. Yaboya laughed at this theory earlier today so assume I am a loon for thinking along these lines?
    I'm thinking of starting at the back and then just seeing how I feel. My longer strides will make me run quicker than 12 min pace though so I don't think I will stick with a pace group and instead no doubt overtake the likes of the 5 hour guys and maybe even the 4:50's and then just try and grind it out.

My body is feeling much better in the next 24 hours after a run than it was after the frank Duffy and half marathon so I'll just go with the flow and enjoy DCM. I reckon I can grind it out until at least 19 miles but will then see how much walking I will have to do from that stage!

I already have a half marathon and full marathon planned for next March and May so will not do anything to risk any long term health. Bringing money with me for a Taxi during the race is a interesting idea just in case.

I've read quite a few reports from last year's Novices and was startled by how many got injured or failed to hit target time, maybe worth a read if anyone hasn't yet.

• Advertisement

skittles11 wrote: »
    Somebody posted about the cold and the temperature difference between sun and shade around the start area and the first few miles in relation to wearing extra clothes that you can throw away. I started out in Dundrum and ran through there last week and even with 10km or so in the bank I found it very cold and windy once I got into the shaded streets and stayed cold all the way up the Liffey. Didn't really warm up again till Chesterfield ave. I think some long sleeves and maybe a hat are a good idea. Maybe even a pair of trackies to keep the knees warm before the start.

DEFINITELY! Everyone should have warm clothes to wear (covering both arms and legs) on the morning of the race before kick-off. You could be hanging around for an hour.
    I really believe that the tfl (top of leg) twinge I had when I started running last year at DCM was from cold muscles being suddenly jolted into running when the gun went off, as I had sat shivering on a step with nothing covering my legs (shorts of course!) for well over an hour before the race.
    Start looking for old clothes now folks and put them aside now for the morning of the race.
    A little tip is to cut along the inseam of the arm of whatever arm your wearing your watch (up to the elbow) so that you can easily slip off your top on the startline. If not then it could be a bit of a battle trying to get it off over your watch. Minimise the stress folks!!!!! BE PREPARED!

I appreciate your reply and understand my lack of miles under my belt being the main concern. I have had three opinions from Sports Physio, Doctor and Surgeon all saying they are happy for me to run. My knee operation to repair my cartilage has been put back until mid November so I am all good to go.

The Wednesday and Friday runs were a miscalculation and will have a three or four day gap.

I am honestly in two minds as how to approach DCM. Since I started training again I've had a month longer stride than previously due to a fair bit of work I've been doing on my hamstrings. Its made me think the way I previously approached long slow runs made me feel like I was jogging on the spot thus causing more impact on my knees due to taking quite a lot more steps. Yaboya laughed at this theory earlier today so assume I am a loon for thinking along these lines?
    I'm thinking of starting at the back and then just seeing how I feel. My longer strides will make me run quicker than 12 min pace though so I don't think I will stick with a pace group and instead no doubt overtake the likes of the 5 hour guys and maybe even the 4:50's and then just try and grind it out.

My body is feeling much better in the next 24 hours after a run than it was after the frank Duffy and half marathon so I'll just go with the flow and enjoy DCM. I reckon I can grind it out until at least 19 miles but will then see how much walking I will have to do from that stage!

I already have a half marathon and full marathon planned for next March and May so will not do anything to risk any long term health. Bringing money with me for a Taxi during the race is a interesting idea just in case.

I've read quite a few reports from last year's Novices and was startled by how many got injured or failed to hit target time, maybe worth a read if anyone hasn't yet.
    Yeah most people won't achieve their target times for their first so everyone reading this should have an A, B & C goal/plan for the day so as not to end up disappointed not achieving their goal. Most people are too ambitious for their first. It's human nature.
    Instead of grinding it out up to 19 miles I think you should just take it very easy from the very start and conserve your energy/body for as long as possible. I'd ignore any pacers and just run/walk as your body calls for it. Good idea to start at the back.

DEFINITELY! Everyone should have warm clothes to wear (covering both arms and legs) on the morning of the race before kick-off. You could be hanging around for an hour.
    I really believe that the tfl (top of leg) twinge I had when I started running last year at DCM was from cold muscles being suddenly jolted into running when the gun went off, as I had sat shivering on a step with nothing covering my legs (shorts of course!) for well over an hour before the race.
    Start looking for old clothes now folks and put them aside now for the morning of the race.
    A little tip is to cut along the inseam of the arm of whatever arm your wearing your watch (up to the elbow) so that you can easily slip off your top on the startline. If not then it could be a bit of a battle trying to get it off over your watch. Minimise the stress folks!!!!! BE PREPARED!

That given me something to think about, I was planning on just taken a top in as my legs tend not to get to cold. May change my mind now after reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I am not sure if you are serious or taking the P*** here. Longer strides with a lower cadence have a lot more impact and are much more injury inducing. If you do any type of injury prevention running workshop (like chi-running) you will find that short strides/high cadence is generally seen as the ideal running form.

Secondly, 5hr Marathon pace is 11:27/mile 4:50 pace is 11:07/mile. Given that you struggle to keep 12 minute miles what makes you think you will 'no doubt' over take those pacing groups?. I think ososlo is right, your best bet is a run/walk strategy. A decent walker could come in around 6hrs, certainly under 7.

You are seriously underestimating the marathon and are massively under prepared tbh. The best you can hope to do is just finish and that is really not much of an achievement. You'd be better off training properly and doing a future marathon properly. But If you just want to tick the 'marathon finishers' box go right ahead. Don't expect any adulation from on here if you go ahead with it though.

Dub13 wrote: »
    That given me something to think about, I was planning on just taken a top in as my legs tend not to get to cold. May change my mind now after reading that.

PLEASE DO!!! I was warned by the guy who was training me beforehand to wear trackie bottoms, but I thought 'no it's a lovely sunny morning I'll be fine' but it was actually freezing cold. Also, it's not like other races where you're doing a warm up. Yes stay active and walk a little bit before the run but you're not going to be doing a 2 miles warm up with strides or anything so your muscles will get cold.

Also, ease into your mp. If the pace feels a tad too fast at the start, just ease back and gradually build up to speed over the first few miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »

You are seriously underestimating the marathon and are massively under prepared tbh. The best you can hope to do is just finish and that is really not much of an achievement. You'd be better off training properly and doing a future marathon properly. But If you just want to tick the 'marathon finishers' box go right ahead. Don't expect any adulation from on here if you go ahead with it though.

You talkin to me???

PLEASE DO!!! I was warned by the guy who was training me beforehand to wear trackie bottoms, but I thought 'no it's a lovely sunny morning I'll be fine' but it was actually freezing cold. Also, it's not like other races where you're doing a warm up. Yes stay active and walk a little bit before the run but you're not going to be doing a 2 miles warm up with strides or anything so your muscles will get cold.

Also, ease into your mp. If the pace feels a tad too fast at the start, just ease back and gradually build up to speed over the first few miles.

I will, this is just another bit of information I have got from this thread. As the saying goes... 'Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.'

Thread on it here.
    Very sensible to be thinking about other options. I really hope you're 100% soon. Not easy reading about others' running endeavours...
    I agree about aquinn;)

Thanks Ososlo and JohnDozer ... "hills like mountains", "one of the toughest marathons in Ireland", "comparable to Connemara". Think maybe not the ideal course for the first marathon :-). Have been planning on the Paris marathon in April for a while now, so might just do a brilliant long thorough lead-up for that one with a 10miler or half thrown in on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Thanks Ososlo and JohnDozer ... "hills like mountains", "one of the toughest marathons in Ireland", "comparable to Connemara". Think maybe not the ideal course for the first marathon :-). Have been planning on the Paris marathon in April for a while now, so might just do a brilliant long thorough lead-up for that one with a 10miler or half thrown in on the way.

I've never done another marathon in Ireland, but I think if you're to run your first one here it has to be in Dublin. From what I hear, the crowds/atmosphere etc. are just not comparable anywhere else in the country. If you are going abroad, I wouldn't put you off Paris. Half thinking of that myself after my 4th London rejection :(

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I've never done another marathon in Ireland, but I think if you're to run your first one here it has to be in Dublin. From what I hear, the crowds/atmosphere etc. is just not comparable anywhere else in the country. If you are going abroad, I wouldn't put you off Paris. Half thinking of that myself after my 4th London rejection :(

I was thinking the same about Dublin myself anyway. Seem to be a serious event - my brother&his family were going to be out on the course ... and one of my friends said she would come up from Kilkenny to support me! Have done a few Paris half-marathons in the past because a different brother lives there and I think it would be a good full-marathon if not quite as lively as Dublin.

Back luck about London - that would be a great one to do, the crowd support would be massive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I've never done another marathon in Ireland, but I think if you're to run your first one here it has to be in Dublin. From what I hear, the crowds/atmosphere etc. are just not comparable anywhere else in the country. If you are going abroad, I wouldn't put you off Paris. Half thinking of that myself after my 4th London rejection :(

Next year you can get in with your GFA time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Next year you can get in with your GFA time ;)

Neither London or Boston can keep me out any longer :)
    Now to work on knocking 78 seconds off my HM time to qualify me for New York :pac:

Well done JohnDozer! Is that a pb?
    Take it very easy for a few days to recover well from that. Don't push the 14-16 Tuesday if you're not fully recovered. I'd keep it all very easy if you do it or do a slightly shorter run.
    2 weeks to go.......

New PB alright, by 20 secs or so. That's the plan anyway, probably end up bumping it to Wednesday anyway as I've since noticed the soccer is on Tuesday evening so won't have time! I'll be trying to stay sensible alright, not my greatest strength though but we'll see...

JohnDozer wrote: »
    New PB alright, by 20 secs or so. That's the plan anyway, probably end up bumping it to Wednesday anyway as I've since noticed the soccer is on Tuesday evening so won't have time! I'll be trying to stay sensible alright, not my greatest strength though but we'll see...

No JohnD we won't see, we WILL be sensible. OK?
    Eyes on the prize...
    You're gonna run a great DCM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Meno mentioned the chi running earlier and he was spot on. I'm running faster / more efficiently and with less injury problems since attending a workshop and lengthening the stride is a major no no. It's about shorter / higher turnover strides, leaning forward rather than back as you would do lengthening your stride.

My similar story to yours back in 2012 had me go out from the back too but instead of catching the 5 hour guys I gradually fell apart and ended up finishing in 5:36. I'm interested to know why you say you will no doubt catch them and the 4:45 guys too. That sounds very confident. There is stubborness which you need (and have) in bucket loads but you also have to be smart. You haven't gotten past 15 miles before, have ran at 12 minute pace which is about right for a LSR aiming for sub 5 to be fair but given your injury history the endurance may be lacking and you will only find that out when you venture into unknown territory on the day.

I guess what I am saying here is don't rely on stubborness alone to get you through this. Think smart. A run walk from the start as suggested earlier may be wiser. Hell I would even advocate walking very briskly the first 6-8 miles before going for a long run then. It will be a nicer experience for you and will give you a better chance of finishing. Each to their own of course - I probably wouldn't listen to that either if I were you :)

Hard to believe everyone but here we are on Week 17:eek:
    But it's all good:D

Anyone following Boards plan please keep everything easy this week and drop in those strides later in the week to wake the legs up a bit.
    Hal folks, keep it all very relaxed.
    Anyone not following these plans, don't overdo it. There's more to lose than win from doing too much at this stage. Please don't go out and run any crazy sessions or races as they're not going to add to your fitness at this point. An old phrase I've read on these Boards over the last couple of years is that you're better going into a race 'undercooked rather than overcooked'.
    Any niggles, run extra easy (recovery effort ) or drop the run altogether. Any injury concerns, book into a physio right away.
    Anyone feeling very unconfident, look back through your training since the beginning of your plan and look at the races you've run and have faith in your training and ability. Post your concerns...
    Everyone start thinking about A, B & C goals for the day. Your dream time/race, what you'd be happy with and what you'll be content with. The C goal for everyone should be finishing (unless you're injured then your C goal should be to drop out before things get too bad).
    Keep posting your training/thoughts/feelings.
    Not long now folks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I am not sure if you are serious or taking the P*** here. Longer strides with a lower cadence have a lot more impact and are much more injury inducing. If you do any type of injury prevention running workshop (like chi-running) you will find that short strides/high cadence is generally seen as the ideal running form.

Secondly, 5hr Marathon pace is 11:27/mile 4:50 pace is 11:07/mile. Given that you struggle to keep 12 minute miles what makes you think you will 'no doubt' over take those pacing groups?. I think ososlo is right, your best bet is a run/walk strategy. A decent walker could come in around 6hrs, certainly under 7.

+1.. You need to take a step back here and see what you are actually doing...and what you are going to put an already damaged body through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Had heard this before so picked up a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a light fleece in Penneys for €12 in total. (€6 each!). Plan on cutting the bottoms of the trackies and the wrists of the jumper to make it easier to slip out of them on race day. Have to love Penney's really! Did I hear somewhere that the discarded clothes are collected and given to charity?

On training note, really enjoyed my light 15 miler on Saturday. Much easier to find routes for the shorter distance I find! Out to the end of Dun Laoighaire pier and home again on a sunny saturday morning, very nice. Crossed paths with a fellow runner twice, about an hour apart, he must have been doing a similar loop in reverse.

Am at a summit from Weds to Sunday this week so will struggle to get any runs done in second half of week. I'm trying to be philosophical and remind myself this shouldn't make a difference at this point, training is done etc. It's getting exciting now thinking that baring a freak injury I will be toeing the line this time 2 weeks!

Still angsting about target pace AKA A,B and C targets. Leaning toward A target of 3:1x:xx, B of 3:30, C - make it home with a strong final km. The plan to match that would be start ahead of 3:30 pacers and see how I went, then at 10 mile to halfway assess where I am and start accelerating or keep the pace steady.

Really love reading this thread on a Monday morning at the moment. This time last year I was working hard to ignore this thread out of injury associated disappointment! Good running all, and here's to an injury free taper!

No JohnD we won't see, we WILL be sensible. OK?
    Eyes on the prize...
    You're gonna run a great DCM!

Ha ha! Will do Mom, I pwomise!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Watching Chicago yesterday, reading the logs and seeing the results come in on strava has me pretty excited about 2 weeks time.

Also insanely jealous of anyone that can post up "Ran easy around as training was not sufficient" and still come home in 3:15.

Wish my training was that insufficient.

Advertisement