Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Firedance wrote: »
    Raycun it wasn't flashing low battery yet but was down to the last bar, I had already turned off the pacer and reset the watch before that day to get as long as possible out of it, maybe it had another hour + it in but I doubt it?

You should be fine - I started the run on the last bar and got 2 hours before it switched off (some of that only showing last lap pace), so the 5 hours battery life they claim seems to be about right.
    If you're worried, get a super-cheap stopwatch for your other wrist and check it against a pace band at every mile.
    (You should be working off a pace band anyway if you aren't running with pacers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

When is someone going to explain a paceband?

Also, Elverys again saved me as I found the bodyglide equivalent I was looking for the AK don't do anymore. Pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

aquinn wrote: »

Also, Elverys again saved me as I found the bodyglide equivalent I was looking for the AK don't do anymore. Pleased.

Paceband...Allows you to check against a clock where you should be. Backup to the Garmin!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-pace-band-generator/3918.html?print=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

aquinn wrote: »

Here you go and here's yours ;)

crisco10 wrote: »
    Paceband...Allows you to check against a clock where you should be. Backup to the Garmin!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-pace-band-generator/3918.html?print=true

Plus they have them for free at the expo (are a bit stronger than printing your own so better) and you can pick out a few different ones and wear them if you're unsure as to whether to go for one specific time or another.
    Pick them up at Pacers' Stand at Expo.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Plus they have them for free at the expo (are a bit stronger than printing your own so better) and you can pick out a few different ones and wear them if you're unsure as to whether to go for one specific time or another.
    Pick them up at Pacers' Stand at Expo.

How do they handle target times etc? Do they just have a free selection at the expo? I'll be sending someone else in my stead so want to give them clear instructions what I need!

How do they handle target times etc? Do they just have a free selection at the expo? I'll be sending someone else in my stead so want to give them clear instructions what I need!

Last year there were boxes of them with literally hundreds in each box for all the different time bands. They were all jumbled up last year (Marthastew and menoscemo were doing Trojan work trying to keep them sorted into correct piles but people were messing them up searching through) so it did take a bit of time to find the correct ones but no more than 5 mins maybe and the pacers are very helpful finding them for you.

Last year there were boxes of them with literally hundreds in each box for all the different time bands. They were all jumbled up last year (Marthastew and menoscemo were doing Trojan work trying to keep them sorted into correct piles but people were messing them up searching through) so it did take a bit of time to find the correct ones but no more than 5 mins maybe and the pacers are very helpful finding them for you.

Thanks. I'll send him in looking for 3:25 (if they have it) and 3:30, 3:20 if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks a million for that. Links saved down.

Thanks. I'll send him in looking for 3:25 (if they have it) and 3:30, 3:20 if they don't.

yeah I think they're every 10 mins only but maybe someone else can confirm/correct.
    You can always make your own anyways. Print out and reinforce with cellotape or some kind of clear tape that'll make it stronger and waterproof of course!

• Advertisement

yeah I think they're every 10 mins only but maybe someone else can confirm/correct.
    You can always make your own anyways. Print out and reinforce with cellotape or some kind of clear tape that'll make it stronger and waterproof of course!

no need for waterproof. Sweat proof maybe. It's not gonna rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Here you go and here's yours ;)

well that's just the most simple excellent thing I've ever seen! I'll wear two watches on one arm and 4 pace bands on the other :D problem/excessive worrying solved - although I havent run with pace bands (or two watches) before, will there be chafing!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Yeah most people won't achieve their target times for their first so everyone reading this should have an A, B & C goal/plan for the day so as not to end up disappointed not achieving their goal. Most people are too ambitious for their first. It's human nature.
    Instead of grinding it out up to 19 miles I think you should just take it very easy from the very start and conserve your energy/body for as long as possible. I'd ignore any pacers and just run/walk as your body calls for it. Good idea to start at the back.

I like the idea of this so after a nights sleep to dwell on this will go for a) 4:59:59, b) 5:13:59, c) To complete.
    I realise that we are obviously talking about double the half marathon distance, but I am feeling back to my July 10k fitness again which was done in 57:25. I realise I will have another four hours to go after this and will maybe have to walk some of it but I've run all five race I've so far entered besides a pee after three miles in the last race, so think some may think I'm less fit than I am.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I am not sure if you are serious or taking the P*** here. Longer strides with a lower cadence have a lot more impact and are much more injury inducing. If you do any type of injury prevention running workshop (like chi-running) you will find that short strides/high cadence is generally seen as the ideal running form.

Secondly, 5hr Marathon pace is 11:27/mile 4:50 pace is 11:07/mile. Given that you struggle to keep 12 minute miles what makes you think you will 'no doubt' over take those pacing groups?. I think ososlo is right, your best bet is a run/walk strategy. A decent walker could come in around 6hrs, certainly under 7.

You are seriously underestimating the marathon and are massively under prepared tbh. The best you can hope to do is just finish and that is really not much of an achievement. You'd be better off training properly and doing a future marathon properly. But If you just want to tick the 'marathon finishers' box go right ahead. Don't expect any adulation from on here if you go ahead with it though.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Meno. With regards to the strides - this was a Novice question on a novice thread so maybe the tone was a little uncalled for? I figured the less strides I did, the less strain I put on my knee's due to not having to bend them as much.

Now that this has been explained, I can now go off with a shorter stride.
    The main reason for the change in stride has been that I have improved arerobically which has seen me running a full min quicker than before my injury.

Apologies on the timing thoughts. I had been checking what 12 min pace was and noticed it was 5:13:59 earlier in the week but was rather tired when replying last night which mixed my numbers up. I think I can run at 11 min pace for a long distance, but you are correct in thinking I would not be able to hold it anywhere near race distance. With no traffic lights and the crowd cheering you on along with other runners to trail, it is easier to keep up a faster pace so I figure this will help propel me along.

I have however settled on starting at the back and trying to keep something in reserve and keeping sight of the five hour group.

You are also correct in stating I was looking to tick a box by running DCM, although it has become a lot more than that now as I have found a passion for running that I lost once I left school due to never getting my gait checked until this year. I have put in a hell of a lot of time, effort and money into this and have the okay from three different people in the medical profession to go ahead and run.
    I am not looking to impress anyone on these boards although find posting a useful way of staying motivated despite some negativity which I understand is meant with good intentions.

No hard feelings, I will be starting a log in December/January to help stay motivated. It will be called 'To hell in a handcart' and I will be looking for any experienced guys like yourself to have the odd bit of input throughout my journey as this is just the beginning.
    Meno mentioned the chi running earlier and he was spot on. I'm running faster / more efficiently and with less injury problems since attending a workshop and lengthening the stride is a major no no. It's about shorter / higher turnover strides, leaning forward rather than back as you would do lengthening your stride.

My similar story to yours back in 2012 had me go out from the back too but instead of catching the 5 hour guys I gradually fell apart and ended up finishing in 5:36. I'm interested to know why you say you will no doubt catch them and the 4:45 guys too. That sounds very confident. There is stubborness which you need (and have) in bucket loads but you also have to be smart. You haven't gotten past 15 miles before, have ran at 12 minute pace which is about right for a LSR aiming for sub 5 to be fair but given your injury history the endurance may be lacking and you will only find that out when you venture into unknown territory on the day.

I guess what I am saying here is don't rely on stubborness alone to get you through this. Think smart. A run walk from the start as suggested earlier may be wiser. Hell I would even advocate walking very briskly the first 6-8 miles before going for a long run then. It will be a nicer experience for you and will give you a better chance of finishing. Each to their own of course - I probably wouldn't listen to that either if I were you :)

I have started back training with the idea of leaning forward like I read on your log but with longer strides. It sounds as though I should shorten them up a little and go from there which I now will.
    Yeah as I wrote above to Meno, the 11 min thought process was centred around the theory that you get carried along with the crowd as well as the other runners and my longer stride now however I will now try and hold back and instead shorten my strides.
    Yeah its the way I am, playing Football in my 20's in England you don't show pain and you play through it.
    I will start off with a similar idea as 2012 Mule and try and stay insight of the 5 hour group and then try pushing on after 20 ;)
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Is it just me who thinks that MKDTH is just having the craic here?

I am honestly not here to annoy or infuriate anyone. It just takes a massive brick to sometimes knock some sense into me :)

I think I may print off my username and pin it to the back of my running shirt on the day to prove that I am real and turn up in the pub afterwards at about 16:20 when I finish!!!!!

Sorry for the longest post in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I think I may print off my username and pin it to the back of my running shirt on the day to prove that I am real and turn up in the pub afterwards at about 16:20 when I finish!!!!!

Sorry for the longest post in the world.[/QUOTE]

Might do the same, or get a big black marker and butcher my new bright green 'Nike Dri Fit' top with 'Smashiner 3:59 - 6 hour Pacer' :pac::D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

MKDTH wrote: »

I have started back training with the idea of leaning forward like I read on your log but with longer strides. It sounds as though I should shorten them up a little and go from there which I now will.
    Yeah as I wrote above to Meno, the 11 min thought process was centred around the theory that you get carried along with the crowd as well as the other runners and my longer stride now however I will now try and hold back and instead shorten my strides.
    Yeah its the way I am, playing Football in my 20's in England you don't show pain and you play through it.
    I will start off with a similar idea as 2012 Mule and try and stay insight of the 5 hour group and then try pushing on after 20 ;)

Just be careful in drastically altering an existing stride now and trying to run that for 26 miles. My transition to a new running form took a couple of months to bed in properly and the first couple of weeks were difficult. Suddenly I was using muscles either in a different way or for what may as well have been the first time ! If you change your stride too much it may be counter productive for you.

Yes in the long term most definitely look at chi running style - I believe it will help with your injury problems. But in this now very short term I'd be inclined to stick with what your legs are used to. Just some more food for thought for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

MKDTH wrote: »

Genuinely hope you a) finish and b) do come to the pub afterwards. Will have a beer with you to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

annapr wrote: »
    Yesterday was the first LSR that I didn't finish... plan called for a short 12 miles. Headed out with Murph in the lovely hills of Donegal on a beautiful day. He was practicing the pace for his 5 hour pacer gig, so planning on going very easy. He warned me that I shouldn't do it with my cough and cold (I could hear Ososlo in my head too). Anyway, the run was fine, nice and slow, no bother but only did 8 miles in the end. And have been quite wiped out all weekend generally.

Took our infectious 4 year old to the doctor this morning, only to find myself coming away diagnosed with a chest infection and prescription for antibiotics... and a stern warning that I must come back for a checkup in the next week before deciding whether to do the marathon.

So, waiting and seeing for the moment. I'm remarkably relaxed about it at the moment (definitely sick, so). Have never been so enthusiastic about a course of antibiotics!!!!

why couldn't my taper bugs be all in my head??? !!!

Sorry to hear that annapr - hope you're feeling better soon and recuperate in time. Take it easy and rest up. Make sure to look after yourself as well as the infectious offspring :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Agree with ososlo here, if your time is in between the pacer stand bands print off your own and Sellotape it. The ones on the stands will prob be every 10mins and you should Sellotape them also.

In regard to its purpose I would regard the band as being primary rather than secondary to the garmin. If you don't have a garmin then use a simple stopwatch and paceband.

The garmin distances can get out of sync with mile markers at times due to loss of signal/tunnels etc. e.g. Towards the end of my race yesterday my garmin had .4 of a mile extra on it for example.

So simply pass a mile marker, look at watch, then look at mile time on paceband to see if you are on target.

There are also occasions where mile markers can be out too so pacers use both methods and make decisions accordingly.

In terms of keeping warm at the start, black bin bags are quite effective too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Yesterday was the first LSR that I didn't finish... plan called for a short 12 miles. Headed out with Murph in the lovely hills of Donegal on a beautiful day. He was practicing the pace for his 5 hour pacer gig, so planning on going very easy. He warned me that I shouldn't do it with my cough and cold (I could hear Ososlo in my head too). Anyway, the run was fine, nice and slow, no bother but only did 8 miles in the end. And have been quite wiped out all weekend generally.

Took our infectious 4 year old to the doctor this morning, only to find myself coming away diagnosed with a chest infection and prescription for antibiotics... and a stern warning that I must come back for a checkup in the next week before deciding whether to do the marathon.

So, waiting and seeing for the moment. I'm remarkably relaxed about it at the moment (definitely sick, so). Have never been so enthusiastic about a course of antibiotics!!!!

I feel for you! Couldn't help thinking though that your timing is spot on. Next week would have been horrible and pre-taper would have messed with your head/confidence. Get well soon!!

Just be careful in drastically altering an existing stride now and trying to run that for 26 miles. My transition to a new running form took a couple of months to bed in properly and the first couple of weeks were difficult. Suddenly I was using muscles either in a different way or for what may as well have been the first time ! If you change your stride too much it may be counter productive for you.

Yes in the long term most definitely look at chi running style - I believe it will help with your injury problems. But in this now very short term I'd be inclined to stick with what your legs are used to. Just some more food for thought for you :)

absolutely agree. Changing running style all of a sudden could make things worse. I also found when I started changing my running style and stride that I ran faster (not a good idea for you at the moment). It was fine for me as I was only doing short runs but it'd be a different story for someone tackling a marathon.
    Save any big changes to running style for after the event.

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Agree with ososlo here, if your time is in between the pacer stand bands print off your own and Sellotape it. The ones on the stands will prob be every 10mins and you should Sellotape them also.

In regard to its purpose I would regard the band as being primary rather than secondary to the garmin. If you don't have a garmin then use a simple stopwatch and paceband.

The garmin distances can get out of sync with mile markers at times due to loss of signal/tunnels etc. e.g. Towards the end of my race yesterday my garmin had .4 of a mile extra on it for example.

So simply pass a mile marker, look at watch, then look at mile time on paceband to see if you are on target.

There are also occasions where mile markers can be out too so pacers use both methods and make decisions accordingly.

In terms of keeping warm at the start, black bin bags are quite effective too!

yep great advice. Never rely solely on the garmin. Mine went really funny about 6 miles in last year and told me I was doing 8ish pace (I'd have barely been able to run a mile at that pace last year:p) so have backup with bands/stopwatch. Garmins are liable to let you down in crowds or around tall buildings.

Firedance wrote: »
    well that's just the most simple excellent thing I've ever seen! I'll wear two watches on one arm and 4 pace bands on the other :D problem/excessive worrying solved - although I havent run with pace bands (or two watches) before, will there be chafing!??

Ha ha I think you'll be fine;) Don't have them on too tight!

ah jaysus sorry to read this. I'm sure you'll be perfect in a few days. Definitely better this happens now than next week! Keep us posted...

smashiner wrote: »

Sorry for the longest post in the world.
    Might do the same, or get a big black marker and butcher my new bright green 'Nike Dri Fit' top with 'Smashiner 3:59 - 6 hour Pacer' :pac::D:D:D
    [/QUOTE]

Not sure if you're serious but yeah I've seen people with their names written in marker on their backs. I met a fellow novice last year at the foot of Roebuck hill as he had his name on his back. It was fun to have a chat but he wasn't in a great place and I fear my enthusiasm at the foot of the hill might have annoyed him:(
    He forgave me later:D

pagep195 wrote: »

Amidst all the great advice, the fretting about pacing strategies, what to wear, what gels should we use, there is one piece of advice that often gets lost. Listen to your body on the day - none of us can predict how we will feel on that morning or what the weather conditions will be like. These two factors will have an enormous impact on how you run - don't be a slave to the notion that you have to run at a certain pace, regardless of external factors.

You may have to re-calibrate your expectations on the day - be prepared for that and it will mean that the run will be far more enjoyable. We can fret about so many things that the experience passes us by - I didn't let that happen last year, and the memories of that day will stay with me forever. The work is done now - we should all be looking forward to it with some nervousness, but also as something incredibly rewarding and a remarkable achievement. Good luck everyone!

great advice and thanks for popping in with your experiences. Invaluable!

I agree 100% about folks being prepared to readjust their goals on the morning of the race if necessary. The marathon pace you have planned all along might just feel a tad too aggressive for a myriad of reasons. You might be a little bit under the weather and coming down with something or the conditions might be poor so instead of tearing off at your PMP regardless, it's much better to listen to your body as you say and not panic if you can't follow your chosen pacing group or watch and ease back a little and let your body dictate the pace/effort and not the watch/pacing group.
    It'll lend to a much more pleasant experience.
    Best of luck to you with DCM 2014!!!!

MLC_biker wrote: »
    I do think discarded clothing is given to charity, so don't cut it to shreds! Buy the cotton style tracksuit bottoms, they're warmer and easily pulled over shoes

AFAIK some of it is given to homeless charities and some (the really wrecked stuff) is given to dogs & cats homes etc to use as bedding so nothing goes to waste.
    Yeah I'd only slash the stuff that's rubbish anyways and not good enough for someone to wear again. Good point.

ChadHogan wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking a lot about my race strategy (probably too much tbh) and think I’ve finally settled on one and was looking for a bit of feedback.

I had been training to target sub 3:50 and ran all my MP runs at this and LSRs at this +1 min/mile. HM went really well and finished feeling fresh and have completed all the long runs on the boards plan. However, the way I had been feeling at the end of all the long runs lead me to believe I’ll struggle maybe more than most the tail end of the race particularly if I target 3:50.

So with this in mind I am planning to line up behind the 4 hour pacers, maybe in front of the 4:10 pacers, and keep a constant distance between myself and the 4 hours group until we get through the Park. Looking at the course profile I think from mile 7-10 I can maintain the same effort but close the gap to the pacers. (at this point I should be ahead of 4 hour pace, not sure by how much tbh) I’d plan to stay with the pacers then until mile 15 and then use the fast stretch between Cromwellsfort road and Milltown to maybe pick up another minute or two on the 4 hour pacers. I then expect from Milltown home that all bets will be off and will just be digging in.

The few benefits of this that I can think of are:

Not running with a pace group for first 6 miles will mean I’ll miss the worst of the overcrowding
    I’ll have the benefits of being with the pace group from miles 10-14 which I think is the toughest section of the race particularly the hill out of Chapelizod and the drag up the Crumlin road
    I can gain time by using the faster parts of the course and maintaining a constant effort.
    It’s a nice compromise for me between targeting 3:50 and 4 hours.

I’d be happy for anyone to poke holes in the plan (maybe there’s too much yo-yoing in it) and maybe I am over thinking things.
    At this point I just want to make my mind up and nail down my plan.
    I would be an advocate of using the course profile to your advantage so making time on the downhills and easing up on the uphills. Other people will say the only way to go is consistent splits with the pacers. You really just have to decide that one yourself.
    To me your strategy sounds fine but I invite other opinions.
    Remind me again how you'd been feeling at the end of the long runs and why you felt so bad?

Absolutely SUPER post here by tunguska on the course profile if you haven't already read it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Getting very real now

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well, I'm looking`forward to the day my training is that rubbish ...

Anyway, onto more important matter...

Are people going straight to the pub afterwards or going home to shower and change and then come back in?

Or are they doing both?

Going to McGrattan's as a novice who didn't know anybody else didn't really work out for me last year and a lot of the other novices. We didn't have any way of recognising each other. I recognised Krusty and plucked up the courage to go say hi to the Legend!! and I met his oh Emer911 Legend!! too which was great. I didn't meet anyone else and it was a shame but I wasn't going to go around the pub shouting 'Boardsie, Boardsie?'
    We'll have to work something out. Kurt Godel had a good idea a few months ago about a way of people getting-together which I'll 'talk' to him about again and get back to ye.

Advertisement