Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Ecoli - put the kettle on, I'm on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

RayCun wrote: »
    Stay behind the pacers. When you are going uphill, slow down and let the gap grow a little. On the downhills, reel then in again slowly. If you can, pass them out in the last four miles and go fir the line yourself. If you can't, just stay with them. And remember that they finish 30 seconds early, so don't give up if they are a little bit ahead of you in the last miles

Thanks raycun, sounds like great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Joleigh wrote: »
    Have you been to physio at all? My legs were so stiff and tight at the end of my first 20 miler. One trip to physio made such a difference. You might just need to b loosened out of it's just your legs that are holding you back.

Haven't been to the physio, I didn’t think it was necessary tbh, as the tightness only presented itself after 2.5-3 hours running, so I didn’t think it was unexpected. As the weeks went on, the distance I could run without feeling tight was increasing so I believed this is just my inherent rate of improvement with respect to long runs. Would this be similar to your experience? I ran 14 miles on the weekend and felt great afterwards. I was reluctant to get a sports massage or anything like that as I’ve never had one before and because I felt so good outside of the end of the long runs. It is something I might consider if the prevailing wisdom was that it’s low risk.

I do feel I'm well prepared and I’m not stressing about this, I suppose I’m just using my training experience to help me pick an appropriate race strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corrib man

Hello all, just on the subject of pacers, I went with 4.00hr group last year, panicked a bit at the start as they were at the top of wave 2. I was way back in the wave and probably went off too quick in order to get upsides them. It's prob better to catch them gradually so don't fret if you find yourself behind them early doors. Anyone have any advice on this as the start is fairly manic and crowded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Corrib man wrote: »
    Hello all, just on the subject of pacers, I went with 4.00hr group last year, panicked a bit at the start as they were at the top of wave 2. I was way back in the wave and probably went off too quick in order to get upsides them. It's prob better to catch them gradually so don't fret if you find yourself behind them early doors. Anyone have any advice on this as the start is fairly manic and crowded?

I am guilty of this myself. Back in 2009 I wanted to follow the 4hr pacers but due a last minute visit to a toilet I ended up a long way behind them at the start. I spent the first 5-6 miles catching up (running 30 sec/mile too quick :o) which i think ultimately cost me my race.

Pacers will be in place in the correct waves long before the start; last year we were lined up about 30 minutes before the off. So you should really make it your business to start close to them if you intend to follwo one of the groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I have images already of being absolutely flattened by the crowd when the gun goes off and not making it to the start line. I couldn't believe the crowd that so quickly assembles around the pacers for the Half. It took me 4.5 miles to catch them so don't rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Haven't been to the physio, I didn’t think it was necessary tbh, as the tightness only presented itself after 2.5-3 hours running, so I didn’t think it was unexpected. As the weeks went on, the distance I could run without feeling tight was increasing so I believed this is just my inherent rate of improvement with respect to long runs. Would this be similar to your experience? I ran 14 miles on the weekend and felt great afterwards. I was reluctant to get a sports massage or anything like that as I’ve never had one before and because I felt so good outside of the end of the long runs. It is something I might consider if the prevailing wisdom was that it’s low risk.

I do feel I'm well prepared and I’m not stressing about this, I suppose I’m just using my training experience to help me pick an appropriate race strategy.

I felt fine on all my long runs until the 20 miler. I felt like my legs ceased up at mile 16. Turned out I had tight hip flexors and it band. A bit of work from physio and some stretches made all the difference. If it made your last 6 miles easier it'd be well worth the visit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am guilty of this myself. Back in 2009 I wanted to follow the 4hr pacers but due a last minute visit to a toilet I ended up a long way behind them at the start. I spent the first 5-6 miles catching up (running 30 sec/mile too quick :o) which i think ultimately cost me my race.

Pacers will be in place in the correct waves long before the start; last year we were lined up about 30 minutes before the off. So you should really make it your business to start close to them if you intend to follwo one of the groups.

I did something like this too -- went with a pace group, stopped in the portaloos on Chesterfield avenue, and then really hurried to catch the pacers. Struggled a bit from then on and finally lost them at 19 miles. Running too fast early on was definitely a mistake, so I'd say take it easy and you'll gradually catch them, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

menoscemo wrote: »

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I did something like this too -- went with a pace group, stopped in the portaloos on Chesterfield avenue, and then really hurried to catch the pacers. Struggled a bit from then on and finally lost them at 19 miles. Running too fast early on was definitely a mistake, so I'd say take it easy and you'll gradually catch them, OP.

+1
    I lost the pacers early due to bottlenecks on Dawson/Nassau Street and spent the whole NCR zig-zagging from side to side to catch back up. I was on their shoulder again by the park gates, but am pretty sure this impatience had something to do with my positive split of almost 11 minutes!
    Once you can see them, you'll easily catch up as the race goes on. The field parts like the Red Sea once you hit the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Anyone that’s aiming for a time of approximately 4.5 hours. What pace were you doing your LSRs at? For instance, what time did you complete a 20 miler in?

I did my one and only 20 miler at a pace of approx. 10.30/mile and completed it in 3:34:10. On the basis of that I’m thinking that 4:30:00 or so is what I should be aiming for, but I’m having second thoughts (maybe I’m capable of quicker or maybe those last 6 miles will be so tough that 4:40:00 is more realistic).

Would be interested to hear the experience of others in the same bracket?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ecoli - put the kettle on, I'm on the way.

:o

Had I seen this before hand I would have had the finest brew of Earl Grey on standby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Taper madness distraction #26....Music.

What music (if any) do you guys listen to when running?

I will go first (might regret this):
    10K distances, fast music like Robet Miles Children, Insomnia, Sandstorm etc
    For LSR's had to slow it down and get Dire Straits, MeatLoaf, Thin Lizzy, Foo Fighters oh and a 'new' band with two brothers Liam and Noel from Manchester...can't think of their name, but I am sure they will 'live forever' as a band.

Also any song from 1987,1988 or 1989 that was ever played in The Apartments, Apple Annies, Blooms Hotel, The Harp, NightOwls, Itchy Feet, Spa Well or Coco's Discos when I was a lad with Beige Chinos, White Shirt and a Blue Blazer (Standard Rick Astley dress code).

God......I feel old after that! Anyone else got any 'sins' they wish to confess???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't listen to music at all when running, I've tried podcasts in the past but the earphones just annoy me after about 30 mins so I usually don't bother now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

adrian522 wrote: »
    Don't listen to music at all when running, I've tried podcasts in the past but the earphones just annoy me after about 30 mins so I usually don't bother now.

I know they would annoy me so I've never even bothered attempting to run with earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Completely off topic, I had the bright idea to rearrange my kids shelves this afternoon. I started to bring a slim set of shelves downstairs but realised after the first stair that it was a bit heavy and oops I am running 26.2 miles in two weeks...I automatically jammed their descent with my thigh which on any other non-marathon-buildup-day-of-the-year would have been fine and come away not bothered by a bruised thigh. I'm still sweating when I realise what a close call I had. So no moving furniture peoples...or am I the only dope that needs telling?

You're not alone!!

Called out to see a mate on Saturday cos I had some spare time due to not running my LSR because of a niggle in my knee. Some coffee and craic was followed by lifting a roof onto an 8ft high shed!! Only realised my stupidity later on. Don't seem to have done any damage though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I know they would annoy me so I've never even bothered attempting to run with earphones.

I actually used to wear them when I started out running. I thought music gave me extra energy or something, listened in races and got really annoyed when some races banned their use.

Only later I realised how much of the race day atmosphere and support I was missing out on. I also saw some things on the 2013 race series half that completely turned me off wearing earphones in races.

Anyway I've since come to the conclusion they music doesn't have any impact on my performance though I could see myself using earphones on longer runs at some point but for the moment I'm happy enough without them.

Sorry for the tangent smashiner I know that wasn't the discussion you were trying to kick off :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Kop On wrote: »
    Anyone that’s aiming for a time of approximately 4.5 hours. What pace were you doing your LSRs at? For instance, what time did you complete a 20 miler in?

I did my one and only 20 miler at a pace of approx. 10.30/mile and completed it in 3:34:10. On the basis of that I’m thinking that 4:30:00 or so is what I should be aiming for, but I’m having second thoughts (maybe I’m capable of quicker or maybe those last 6 miles will be so tough that 4:40:00 is more realistic).

I'm in this bracket, I did Athlone in 3.30 and would love to finish in 4.30 although plan B is 4:40 and plan C is 'get your ass over the line'

I was doing my LSR's around 10.30 / 11.00 but doubt I could do the marathon a full minute faster than that, I'll be starting out conservatively and seeing whats left in the tank from Fosters Ave on wards.
    On the subject of pacers I'm staying well away as trying to catch them was my undoing in the half!

On the earphone topic I used to use them on every run & in every race, now I never use them for races for several reasons, danger being the main one, I do still use them for solo runs but don't do many of those any more

I use ear phones (even though they seem to annoy those who don't use them!). I keep the volume low so I can hear what's going on around me. I just like a bit of music company. Hozier got me though a few log runs. Helped keep the pace slow. Need to sort a nice long playlist for the day so I can forget about my iPod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Joleigh wrote: »
    I use ear phones (even though they seem to annoy those who don't use them!). I keep the volume low so I can hear what's going on around me. I just like a bit of music company. Hozier got me though a few log runs. Helped keep the pace slow. Need to sort a nice long playlist for the day so I can forget about my iPod.

In the marathon you'll have loads of people cheering you on from the sidelines. You won't be short of company, but you'll miss out on the atmosphere if you're listening to music instead.

(and the reason earphones annoy other people is that the wearers are never as aware of their surroundings as they think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck to everyone on the day.

Remain calm in the taper, the hard work is done now just relax and get ready to reap the rewards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

skittles11 wrote: »
    You're not alone!!

Called out to see a mate on Saturday cos I had some spare time due to not running my LSR because of a niggle in my knee. Some coffee and craic was followed by lifting a roof onto an 8ft high shed!! Only realised my stupidity later on. Don't seem to have done any damage though.

Ah good! Good too that it wasn't wine and craic ;-) I've a light bruise on my thigh but nothing to worry about. If I had carried on.... *sweat*

Killian what did you do to ecoli, account closed after 10,742 posts?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

aquinn wrote: »
    Killian what did you do to ecoli, account closed after 10,742 posts?!

Too much sh!t hitting the fan elsewhere unfortunately.

Sorry to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭crisco10

aquinn wrote: »
    Sorry to see that.

MIssed all of that. I've been wondering around this forum in a X days to DCM marathon type daze apparently!

Same, didn't really read the training log that caused the problem, was an avid reader of the 2 lads training logs though.

RayCun wrote: »
    In the marathon you'll have loads of people cheering you on from the sidelines. You won't be short of company, but you'll miss out on the atmosphere if you're listening to music instead.

(and the reason earphones annoy other people is that the wearers are never as aware of their surroundings as they think)

I know the crowds are great but they wern't around for my training runs! I run alone all the time so like the company of music. I keep it low so I can hear traffic and people! I didn't wear headphones for my first marathon but I had a running buddy then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Kop On wrote: »

Firedance wrote: »
    I'm in this bracket, I did Athlone in 3.30 and would love to finish in 4.30 although plan B is 4:40 and plan C is 'get your ass over the line'

I was doing my LSR's around 10.30 / 11.00 but doubt I could do the marathon a full minute faster than that, I'll be starting out conservatively and seeing whats left in the tank from Fosters Ave on wards.
    On the subject of pacers I'm staying well away as trying to catch them was my undoing in the half!

On the earphone topic I used to use them on every run & in every race, now I never use them for races for several reasons, danger being the main one, I do still use them for solo runs but don't do many of those any more

I'm aiming for 4:40 myself, was thinking for a while of 4:30 but figure for my first 4:40 is a much safer bet, with Plan B "just getting my ass over that line"! My half time is 2:09 so double that and add 20 brings me to 4:38 so I think I dont think I could push to 4:30. My 21.2 miler was an average of 11:25 & my 20 miler was average pace of 11:01, and 18.5 mile average pace of 10:42, so I have gotten slower and slower on lsrs!! Your average pace is much faster so I think 4:30 is very doable for you.

I am planning to follow the 4:40 pacers as I have had trouble with pacing in the 10 Miler and Half in the race series, I went off way too fast to hoping that by following the pacers will help matters.

I have had the most AWFUL flu for the past 5 days, just gotten worse and worse, but finally think I am coming out the other end, so hoping to get out for a few miles tomorrow.

On the headphones, have been wondering about this myself. Have done all my training on my own and always used headphones, have the volume down really low but do find it helps especially on the long runs, so think I will use headphones on the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Pretty important question, but one that I have never seen asked;

After crossing the finish line....where do we get food as quickly as possible (the right food)?

I assume the marathon doesn't have a spread on like small races do?

• Advertisement

Pizza hut?

Advertisement