Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

adrian522 wrote: »
    Pizza hut?

There's a BurgerKing just in front of McGrattans!! ;)

Seriously though, i would definitely pack something into your dropoff bag like a recovery shake, sandwich or whatever you think you'll need.
    Personally I find i am never hungry after a log run, but a good Protein/Milkshake would certainly help. You will get some bananas and Lucozade sport at the finish line too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

menoscemo wrote: »
    There's a BurgerKing just in front of McGrattans!! ;)

Seriously though, i would definitely pack something into your dropoff bag like a recovery shake, sandwich or whatever you think you'll need.
    Personally I find i am never hungry after a log run, but a good Protein/Milkshake would certainly help. You will get some bananas and Lucozade sport at the finish line too.

That burger king is closed I think :)
    Had a lovely meal in mcgrattans itself last time round. Am aiming to do the same this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi flogen, I've been on a similar plan to you (one of the Jeff Gaudette Run keeper plans) with a few modifications. In September I did an 18 and 20 and another 18 recently. I have run out of fingers for people telling me that that's not enough lsrs for my target (have since scaled back target).
    The two pieces of advice that are really sticking for me are 'hold back hold back hold back' i.e., it's a 20 mile warm up for a 10k race and 'it's not the race that will kill you, it's the pace'. I agree with ososlo, you have to have faith in your training and you know your body best.
    I'd love to hear how you get on on the day, good luck and enjoy :-)

flogen wrote: »
    Hey folks... hoping to get some advice (and hopefully a bit of reassurance!)

I'm following a programme on the RunKeeper app (I'd started before I found this thread!) and it's a bit different to what most of you are doing.

The main difference (and the bit that's starting to worry me) is that the maximum LSR is 16 miles (you do that 3 times in all before the taper) rather than 20 - but you it the day after one of the shorter mid-week runs (so I did 8 on Friday & 16 on Saturday - last week I did 6 & 14 etc).

The claim is that by doing a mid-length back-to-back with the LSR, the fatigue you carry over in your legs gives you the effect of a longer run with less of the injury risk... I can see the logic in that, though I don't know how sound the science is... and as the big day approaches I'm starting to get a bit nervous about those extra 10 miles I'll be facing down!

I'm wondering if anyone here can let me know what they think about the set-up of the plan (bit late now, I suppose, but worth asking!) and if people think it will put me in good stead for the day itself.

I've been happy with my progress on the plan itself, but just need a bit of reassurance so I don't psyche myself out when it comes to race day.

Hi flogen, I've been on a similar plan to you (one of the Jeff Gaudette Run keeper plans) with a few modifications. In September I did an 18 and 20 and another 18 recently. I have run out of fingers for people telling me that that's not enough lsrs for my target (have since scaled back target). Saying that, I haven't always made it clear about the back-to-back medium to long runs which simulate marathon fatigue, some runners may even be sceptical about this approach.
    The two pieces of advice that are really sticking for me are 'hold back hold back hold back' i.e., it's a 20 mile warm up for a 10k race and 'it's not the race that will kill you, it's the pace'. I agree with ososlo, you have to have faith in your training and you know your body best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Mimojo wrote: »
    On the headphones, have been wondering about this myself. Have done all my training on my own and always used headphones, have the volume down really low but do find it helps especially on the long runs, so think I will use headphones on the day

I'd really reconsider this if I were you. Like you, I did all my training runs on my own with headphones but I didn't miss them one little bit on the day. There is so much going on during the race that believe me, you'll never be bored! You'll miss out on SO much of the atmosphere. You'll have people cheering you on by name if you get your name printed on your bib at the expo. I never would have thought I'd like that beforehand but it was actually really lovely on the day for randomers to shout out my name around the course. It gives you a lovely little boost when you might need it most.
    I just want everyone to get as much out of the day as possible and fear that you'll lose out a bit if you can't hear what's going on around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

I am just wondering about travel arrangements. I will be travelling from Naas that morning, what is the best thing to do - Get the train to Heuston and taxi/public transport from there, or drive in? I am not really familiar with Dublin so not too sure on where to park etc. But then public transport might not be great around the city on the day either. Or I could get someone to drive me into town, but how close can you get to the start area? Also I dont want to be there hours in advance and hanging around getting cold. Any advice much appreciated!

That burger king is closed I think :)
    Had a lovely meal in mcgrattans itself last time round. Am aiming to do the same this year.

Yeah I think there's an Abrakebabra just up the lane and a few sandwich bars around that area but not sure what'll be open as it's a Bank Holiday.
    I'd definitely bring food in my drop off bag Laois Man. But in saying that if you're like me you won't want to eat for a good while afterwards but try to force something in, even a banana.

Ososlo wrote: »
    I'd really reconsider this if I were you. Like you, I did all my training runs on my own with headphones but I didn't miss them one little bit on the day. There is so much going on during the race that believe me, you'll never be bored! You'll miss out on SO much of the atmosphere. You'll have people cheering you on by name if you get your name printed on your bib at the expo. I never would have thought I'd like that beforehand but it was actually really lovely on the day for randomers to shout out my name around the course. It gives you a lovely little boost when you might need it most.
    I just want everyone to get as much out of the day as possible and fear that you'll lose out a bit if you can't hear what's going on around you.

Thanks Ososlo for the advice! I really was wondering about this, what I might do is for the next 2 weeks dont use headphones at all so at least I am kind of used to it so it wont be strange on the day. I am just afraid to change anything that I have been doing. From what you have said it is best to go without the headphones, will be nice to hear randomers shouting along the course, def will be a big boost to keep going, and really want to enjoy this experience as much as I can, so headphones are off the cards!

Thanks Ososlo for the advice! I really was wondering about this, what I might do is for the next 2 weeks dont use headphones at all so at least I am kind of used to it so it wont be strange on the day. I am just afraid to change anything that I have been doing. From what you have said it is best to go without the headphones, will be nice to hear randomers shouting along the course, def will be a big boost to keep going, and really want to enjoy this experience as much as I can, so headphones are off the cards!

Brilliant! Delighted you made that decision. Come back on the evening of the 27th and tell me you didn't regret your decision;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I am just wondering about travel arrangements. I will be travelling from Naas that morning, what is the best thing to do - Get the train to Heuston and taxi/public transport from there, or drive in? I am not really familiar with Dublin so not too sure on where to park etc. But then public transport might not be great around the city on the day either. Or I could get someone to drive me into town, but how close can you get to the start area? Also I dont want to be there hours in advance and hanging around getting cold. Any advice much appreciated!

Don't know about trains, but the LUAS will be running in from Heuston

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/229435/man-running-from-cops-accidentally-joins-chicago-marathon/

So now we have to factor stuff like this into our race day plan!!! ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think you'd be better off parking at a LUAS stop on the other line and getting the LUAS to St. Stephen's Green. Less complicated - especially when you're trying to get your achy body back to the car after the race. That's what I think I'll do (I'm coming in from the same direction)!

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't know about trains, but the LUAS will be running in from Heuston
    Laois_Man wrote: »
    I think you'd be better off parking at a LUAS stop on the other line and getting the LUAS to St. Stephen's Green. Less complicated - especially when you're trying to get your achy body back to the car after the race. That's what I think I'll do (I'm coming in from the same direction)!

Cheers! So the LUAS will still be running, thats good to know! I know you are right Laois Man, much more direct getting the other line, will bring me straight in. Was thinking I wouldn't be fit to drive afterwards, duno will the legs be working at all, might rope someone in to drive the car home if necessary!!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi flogen, I've been on a similar plan to you (one of the Jeff Gaudette Run keeper plans) with a few modifications. In September I did an 18 and 20 and another 18 recently. I have run out of fingers for people telling me that that's not enough lsrs for my target (have since scaled back target). Saying that, I haven't always made it clear about the back-to-back medium to long runs which simulate marathon fatigue, some runners may even be sceptical about this approach.

That's worth requoting. Great bit of advice there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I started using my garmin about Feb/March and just noticed when I hooked it up to the PC that the memory is just full. Do I have to do anything or will it just start to delete the older stuff..? Nothing worse then been out on the big day and I get a full memory message or something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dub13 wrote: »
    I started using my garmin about Feb/March and just noticed when I hooked it up to the PC that the memory is just full. Do I have to do anything or will it just start to delete the older stuff..? Nothing worse then been out on the big day and I get a full memory message or something.

You can delete all from the watch, unless you've it specifically set up to delete workouts after upload.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Glad to hear I'm not alone... though I do now wish I'd upped at least one of my runs like you did.

You're right about the pace, though. I've found I can run decent distances at a pace above my PMP, so I'm hoping that will make it a bit easier to do the longer distance on the day itself (with the help of a pacer, as I'm terrible at finding the balance on my own).

I'll be happy to hit the 4 hour mark - though not planning on killing myself to get there at the same time. Will keep you posted as to how that goes... be sure to do the same!
    Ososlo wrote: »

This is interesting - I always run with headphones but have been thinking about my plan for the big day... like Mimojo, I'm nervous the lack of them will put me off, especially as I find music to be a great way to distract myself when I'm having a hard time.

It's hard to find a middle-ground too... don't want to be carrying headphones that I'm not using, or fiddling with the phone mid-run to get music playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Dub13 wrote:

It took me a while to sort this out as memory wouldn't clear. Make sure it is backed up and then do a full restart. Once all personal data is entered connect to pc and it should be clear.

I will be easy enough to spot out on the course as I have a bit of a strange tattoo.

aquinn wrote: »
    It took me a while to sort this out as memory wouldn't clear. Make sure it is backed up and then do a full restart. Once all personal data is entered connect to pc and it should be clear.

Its all backed up to Garmin connect, is this what you mean..?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Anyone else feeling a bit fcuked off with running the past few days? I'm not interested in it since Saturday, and today is the same. I'm going to go out in a bit though, I know I'll feel worse if I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Dub13 wrote: »

Depending on the Garmin you can either manually delete runs off the watch, delete a block (but keep the last month) or in the settings on your Garmin connect you can set the runs to delete from the watch once uploaded to Garmin Connect.

If you don't have the manual, they can be read off the Garmin.com website.

If you're still lost, go ask Krusty on the Garmin Megathread!

Dub13 wrote:
    Its all backed up to Garmin connect, is this what you mean..?

I copied all files and folders on the device as far as I can remember and then did the restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Had a bit of a freak out this evening, developed strange pain in my foot today while out for 4miles easy, actually had the beginnings of it on Saturday but was only present for a mile or two and I just put it down to tight laces. So did a bit of a google when I got home and before you know it I've ruled myself out of the marathon with a stress fracture!

So the missus talks me down and tells me to make an appointment with the physio. Got to speak to him and he said it could be number of things but a good chance it's just tendonitis, which could only require a few days rest. I've an appointment on Thurs. So I'm down to Defcon3 from Defcon4 but I won't sleep easy for the next few nights I don't think.

I definitely jumped the gun, but I suppose it goes to show how important this race is. Still feel like a numpty!

beertons wrote: »
    Anyone else feeling a bit fcuked off with running the past few days? I'm not interested in it since Saturday, and today is the same. I'm going to go out in a bit though, I know I'll feel worse if I don't.

Can't/won't run this week as fighting a dose and don't want it to get worse so get out there and enjoy your run. Just go nice and easy. Lovely evening and wear a hi-viz :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

aquinn wrote: »
    Can't/won't run this week as fighting a dose and don't want it to get worse so get out there and enjoy your run. Just go nice and easy. Lovely evening and wear a hi-viz :D

Am in the same boat now myself. Bad chesty cough which won't go away and a sore throat too. Glad it's now and not in 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

beertons wrote: »

I hadn't run since Friday, tried to go out Sunday but couldn't run 1km never mind a mile! Was so tired this eve I decided on a solo jog instead of club session, ended up doing 4 miles at a nice brisk pace & feel so much better for it now - taper madness or else coming down with 'insert contagious disease'

Am in the same boat now myself. Bad chesty cough which won't go away and a sore throat too. Glad it's now and not in 2 weeks.

I know me too but still not pleased. Neck pain? I thought it was muscular but don't think so. Horrific sore throat. Had my sob story all set to get the Nurofen plus this morning and all I got was 'it contains codine, yes that's fine'.

Glad to hear I'm not alone... though I do now wish I'd upped at least one of my runs like you did.

I'll be happy to hit the 4 hour mark - though not planning on killing myself to get there at the same time. Will keep you posted as to how that goes... be sure to do the same!

This is interesting - I always run with headphones but have been thinking about my plan for the big day... like Mimojo, I'm nervous the lack of them will put me off, especially as I find music to be a great way to distract myself when I'm having a hard time!

It's in the bag now and the feedback I'm getting is you generally wish you had done 'something' else, no matter how thorough your plan has been.

I sure will :-)

I was talking to a running friend the other morning and she is an ex-headphones user, she finds she listens to her body much more effectively without headphones and can monitor a situation before she gets to a hard time situation and adjust accordingly. Could that work with you?

Again, and to everyone...good luck and enjoy :-)

• Advertisement

It's hard to find a middle-ground too... don't want to be carrying headphones that I'm not using, or fiddling with the phone mid-run to get music playing!

That's actually another REALLY good reason not to wear them. Everything will annoy you from 20 miles onwards so if you're intent on bringing them, be prepared to throw them away.
    Trust me when I say you won't need them. DCM is a really special marathon and that's because of the wonderful support ALL along the way. I find that wearing headphones not only means you don't hear things around you, but you tend to mentally zone out when wearing them too so will miss out on a awful lot of atmosphere. There is just so much to entertain you as you run along with all the hand-made signs people hold up along the way and bits of other entertainment here and there like music outside houses etc.

Advertisement