Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dub13 wrote: »
    I will be easy enough to spot out on the course as I have a bit of a strange tattoo.

super tat! I love me Celtic crosses I do! You best go shirtless/armless to the pub then so at least we'll recognise one novice!

aquinn wrote: »
    I know me too but still not pleased. Neck pain? I thought it was muscular but don't think so. Horrific sore throat. Had my sob story all set to get the Nurofen plus this morning and all I got was 'it contains codine, yes that's fine'.

Yeah it's like asking for the 3rd Secret of Fatima these days trying to get nurofen plus from a chemist!!!!
    Lots of Vitamin C and take it handy and hope you're feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Mimojo wrote: »
    I am just wondering about travel arrangements. I will be travelling from Naas that morning, what is the best thing to do - Get the train to Heuston and taxi/public transport from there, or drive in? I am not really familiar with Dublin so not too sure on where to park etc. But then public transport might not be great around the city on the day either. Or I could get someone to drive me into town, but how close can you get to the start area? Also I dont want to be there hours in advance and hanging around getting cold. Any advice much appreciated!

Maybe drive to Red Cow LUAS stop and jump on LUAS. That way you should get a seat and keep the legs fresh! Maybe a 10 min walk to start from Abby Street stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

skittles11 wrote: »
    Maybe drive to Red Cow LUAS stop and jump on LUAS. That way you should get a seat and keep the legs fresh! Maybe a 10 min walk to start from Abby Street stop.

You must be a very fast walker!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What do people stick in their bags for after the race? Change of clothes and some sort of food/recovery drink, anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You must be a very fast walker!

That's at MP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I know me too but still not pleased. Neck pain? I thought it was muscular but don't think so. Horrific sore throat. Had my sob story all set to get the Nurofen plus this morning and all I got was 'it contains codine, yes that's fine'.

oh no, the infection is spreading on the thread... hope you both feel better soon... cough, cough, sniffle, sniffle.

adrian522 wrote: »
    What do people stick in their bags for after the race? Change of clothes and some sort of food/recovery drink, anything else?

Some suggestions from my list last year:

Fresh socks
    Fresh shoes/trainers (very comfortable)
    Full set of very comfortable warm clothes
    Underwear (full set)
    Very warm jacket/top (you could get very cold when you stop running)
    Ladies: Mirror/compact and whatever make up you might like to put on before you meet your public ;) hairbrush
    Plasters
    Sudocream or similar healing cream
    Banana, croissant, bagel, something very bland to eat until you feel like eating something substantial in the pub!

annapr wrote: »
    oh no, the infection is spreading on the thread... hope you both feel better soon... cough, cough, sniffle, sniffle.

not feeling great myself! Thanks! sick tapering novices!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Has everyone settled on pace / finishing time? I can't & its bothering me. My lsr's have been 9.45/50. Half marathon pace 8.50 but I know I couldn't sustain that for the full. So its 4.20 or 4.30 group I think. I know I should be just enjoying the day but I don't want all the training to go to waste by been afraid of pushing myself! Any thoughts on it welcome!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Ososlo wrote: »

Fresh socks
    Underwear (full set)
    Ladies: Mirror/compact and whatever make up you might like to put on before you meet your public ;) hairbrush
    Plasters
    Banana, croissant, bagel, something very bland to eat until you feel like eating something substantial in the pub!

I would agree with all of the above and also add babywipes to make yourself less gross before getting into your nice clean clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Fresh socks
    Underwear (full set)
    Plasters

add to all that: flip flops, a towel, pain killers & tiger balm oh & chocolate....

denis160 wrote: »
    Has everyone settled on pace / finishing time? I can't & its bothering me. My lsr's have been 9.45/50. Half marathon pace 8.50 but I know I couldn't sustain that for the full. So its 4.20 or 4.30 group I think. I know I should be just enjoying the day but I don't want all the training to go to waste by been afraid of pushing myself! Any thoughts on it welcome!!

You could do 4:15 I'd say handily enough based on your half time and your lsr pace. Or 4:20 if you want to follow pacer and feel very comfortable and pick it up at 18/20 miles.
    I know what you mean about wanting to do well after all the hard work!!!

xElDeeX wrote: »
    I would agree with all of the above and also add babywipes to make yourself less gross before getting into your nice clean clothes!

oh god yes of course!!!!! Especially if you're hanging out with non-runners afterwards!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Fresh socks
    Underwear (full set)
    Plasters

Super thanks as earlier I was writing my marathon morning list and what to pack for the bag and where to apply bodyglide :P. New t-shirt finally purchased this afternoon at no stress so will try when back running. Presume will be fine in an asics run top.
    Sorry to hear you are sick now too.
    Also as I went to Functional Training and am going back again it is by the start line and they said I can leave gear there which is great and an offer of a shower afterwards! The best bit. Just if anyone else fancies paying the cash for this luxury oh and torture of the treatment.

Super thanks as earlier I was writing my marathon morning list and what to pack for the bag and where to apply bodyglide :P. New t-shirt finally purchased this afternoon at no stress so will try when back running. Presume will be fine in an asics run top.
    Sorry to hear you are sick now too.
    Also as I went to Functional Training and am going back again it is by the start line and they said I can leave gear there which is great and an offer of a shower afterwards! The best bit. Just if anyone else fancies paying the cash for this luxury oh and torture of the treatment.

wow super service for after the marathon!!!

Ah no I'm not really sick... I think/hope.. just suffering taper madness along with ye in sympathy and throat feels a bit scratchy atm.. Hopefully it's just in my head!

Fresh socks
    Underwear (full set)
    Plasters

So here's a true novice question, where and how did you manage to get changed out of all your clothes?

Pub toilets!

So here's a true novice question, where and how did you manage to get changed out of all your clothes?

I'll be very honest with you, I did it all on the side of the road at the finishers area. Changed clothes and reapplied my make-up and had a quick "whore's bath" (baby wipes ;0)

You're on such a high when you finish, a little thing like stripping off (discreetly) is not a big deal really. A lot of people were doing similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Fresh socks
    Underwear (full set)
    Plasters

I haven't even thought about afterwards. Where do people change? Pub? On the street? I can't imagine many people will be doing a full underware change in public! Or will they......... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

gingersnap wrote: »
    I haven't even thought about afterwards. Where do people change? Pub? On the street? I can't imagine many people will be doing a full underware change in public! Or will they......... :)

Ha, I see annapr got this question in just before me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

super tat! I love me Celtic crosses I do! You best go shirtless/armless to the pub then so at least we'll recognise one novice!

I will just go in topless shooting 'Ososlo, Ososlo, Ososlo'. Sure I will stand out, if your on boards you will understand if not sure I will at least clear an area for us.

I'll be very honest with you, I did it all on the side of the road at the finishers area. Changed clothes and reapplied my make-up and had a quick "whore's bath" (baby wipes ;0)

You're on such a high when you finish, a little thing like stripping off (discreetly) is not a big deal really. A lot of people were doing similar.

aw, disappointing, for a brief moment there I pictured changing rooms in Merrion Sq... I'm not sure I will be able to bend my legs or move at all...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Firedance wrote: »
    add to all that: flip flops, a towel, pain killers & tiger balm oh & chocolate....

Why the flip flops?

denis160 wrote: »

I have been having this exact debate with myself (except in Km). Where I am on it (for this 5 minutes) is to go with the 4:30 pacers... I'm afraid of starting too fast, as I did most of my LSR's too fast, and I would be very happy with anything sub 4:30... can break all the speed barriers next time around :p

adrian522 wrote: »
    Why the flip flops?

I'm expecting swollen, v tired feet, flip flops for a while then into fresh runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

OK off topic, put it down to taper madness. You know the way you read something and don't see the word. Mine was 'albeit' (the t isn't silent). Now it's the name of our glorious leader, who I presumed had Norwegian connections (oslo) now I see.... I'll get my coat :-)

MLC_biker wrote: »
    OK off topic, put it down to taper madness. You know the way you read something and don't see the word. Mine was 'albeit' (the t isn't silent). Now it's the name of our glorious leader, who I presumed had Norwegian connections (oslo) now I see.... I'll get my coat :-)

Ha ha you wouldn't be the first person to think that I had Norwegian connections!

aw, disappointing, for a brief moment there I pictured changing rooms in Merrion Sq... I'm not sure I will be able to bend my legs or move at all...

Yeah I had imagined that too last year. There were a few tents alright so you might be able to slip into one if necessary. Otherwise any pub's toilets would be grand if you're not into exhibitionism on the streets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Advertisement