Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Firedance wrote: »
    I'm expecting swollen, v tired feet, flip flops for a while then into fresh runners.

I brought flip-flops in my bag to my first one, then was too scared of the state of my feet after it to take my runners off until I got home because I thought a toenail had lifted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Reminder email, like I need it that I've registered for DCM waiting for me this morning, BUT I have a bib number.
    Have also a reminder already in my phone to not forget ID for the expo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

aquinn wrote: »
    Reminder email, like I need it that I've registered for DCM waiting for me this morning, BUT I have a bib number.

So i got similar e-mail where it says print,sign and bring attachment to expo.. but no attachment to mail.. Do they mean the acceptance slip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So i got similar e-mail where it says print,sign and bring attachment to expo.. but no attachment to mail.. Do they mean the acceptance slip?

Yes, the Acceptance Slip linked to in the email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'd imagine it is the confirmation we're to sign, they just worded it badly as it looks like there should be an attachment as well as the link they mention.

AS IF WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO WORRY ABOUT :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

denis160 wrote: »
    Has everyone settled on pace / finishing time? I can't & its bothering me. My lsr's have been 9.45/50. Half marathon pace 8.50 but I know I couldn't sustain that for the full. So its 4.20 or 4.30 group I think. I know I should be just enjoying the day but I don't want all the training to go to waste by been afraid of pushing myself! Any thoughts on it welcome!!

I haven't decided on pace, last 20 mile was done at average 10:05 and felt great afterwards! but I started with a 10:20ish pace and by mile 9 had gotten faster with the last 5 miles below the required pace for 4:20...but still 6 miles to go. I know if I'm having doubts I should go with the 4:30 pacers, so why can't I decide? because a small part of me wants to give 4:20 a shot. Sorry Nicxs, your motivational quotes haven't rubbed off on me yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Well that's pretty all my running over until the big day!

I ran home 10K up hill on Tarmac and concrete and my old football injury (dodgy ankle due to arthritis) has flared up again!! On the Nurofen and Difene gel and no more running for a few days. Might do a light 5K on Sunday and Wednesday if all is well as I am sure not going to miss getting to the start line of this DCM......

Going to wrap myself in cotton wool for the next 11 days! No Karate,Football, sky diving or Base Jumping etc for me for a while....

On a positive note the guys at Base2Race sorted out my Garmin by giving me a replacement unit, so can relax a bit now and I am very happy with that result -).
    One of the guys there gave me great advice on the DCM course too (First half is harder and to go out handy, CherryTree to Mill Town is flat and fast, Roebuck Road is ok etc), he was running in his 30th Marathon and is aiming for sub 2:30!!

To be fair he looked as if he was 'hewn from granite', but still was delighted to talk about the DCM to a Novice like me......respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Jesus, tough morning this morning. Went out and did 8.5km and it was tough, no energy, lots of sweat etc. and slightly stiff calves. 12 days for this to all cure!

at best I will only get a 5km in on Friday between now and Monday...I know boards plan has 8 mile "LSR" this weekend, should I do it on Monday or just give it a miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

crisco10 wrote: »
    Jesus, tough morning this morning. Went out and did 8.5km and it was tough, no energy, lots of sweat etc. and slightly stiff calves. 12 days for this to all cure!

at best I will only get a 5km in on Friday between now and Monday...I know boards plan has 8 mile "LSR" this weekend, should I do it on Monday or just give it a miss?

Are you feeling a bit sick? Yes do nothing until you feel better and review at the weekend. It's not going to make a huge difference if you do the 8 on the weekend or Monday or do a bit less than 8 when you feel better.
    Just see how the next few days go...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Just realising now that the bib number they gave me today was on the email I got when I registered back in August! Hopefully it a lucky number. Its in the 9,000's!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

beertons wrote: »
    Anyone else feeling a bit fcuked off with running the past few days? I'm not interested in it since Saturday, and today is the same. I'm going to go out in a bit though, I know I'll feel worse if I don't.

Absolutely - find I've been fighting myself to get out even though the runs are easier in theory.

I think to some degree it's because I don't feel like I'm "building" like I was when I was adding miles on each week... so there's less sense of achievement.

There's also an element of knowing that we're in the count-down phase now, and just wanting the big day to be here!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

flogen wrote: »
    Absolutely - find I've been fighting myself to get out even though the runs are easier in theory.

I think to some degree it's because I don't feel like I'm "building" like I was when I was adding miles on each week... so there's less sense of achievement.

There's also an element of knowing that we're in the count-down phase now, and just wanting the big day to be here!

Also its dark and cold in the evenings. The body naturally wants to hibernate!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Ososlo wrote: »
    That's actually another REALLY good reason not to wear them. Everything will annoy you from 20 miles onwards so if you're intent on bringing them, be prepared to throw them away.
    Trust me when I say you won't need them. DCM is a really special marathon and that's because of the wonderful support ALL along the way. I find that wearing headphones not only means you don't hear things around you, but you tend to mentally zone out when wearing them too so will miss out on a awful lot of atmosphere. There is just so much to entertain you as you run along with all the hand-made signs people hold up along the way and bits of other entertainment here and there like music outside houses etc.

Thanks for that - will have to have a think about it... leaning towards not bringing them but still not fully decided!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The last 12 days guys!!
    No more long runs.

The next 12 days are about getting your head in shape!!
    Dont relax too much as there is still running to be done, but just not as much.

I'm not overly familiar with your plan (tut tut), but the general wisdom is that to prevent you being sluggish at the start line, you need to maintain the intensity of your runs, while you drop the volume (amount) of miles.

So don't be thinking that the next 12 weeks is a "feet putting upper" excercise - 'cos its not!!

Its a fine line between getting to the start line sluggish (from not training) and getting to it tired (from too much training).

My principles:
    Follow the plan, listen to your body, be confident in your training.

You will feel somewhat lethargic in the coming week / 10 days - I think this is your body trying to subconsciously rest itself for the big day. It always happens and is perfectly normal.
    Just to point out, the 2 weeks before my last marathon, I really struggled with all my 3 mile Marathon paced runs - but come race day - its fine.

Get your pacing sorted - dont approach the big day unsure.
    For my 1st Marathon, I changed my pace substantially in the final 10 mins before the race started and crawled home to a 4:05 marathon - big mistake, please dont make the same one I did!!

Get your head sorted - your training has went well, anyone can run 26.2m - you can run it faster as you are a well trained athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

flogen wrote: »

Definitely, you've all passed the peak days of your training, so there is a bit of an empty feeling about the runs now.*

You have to remember that you're in an equally important phase of your training now. You are letting your body recover from the stresses of the last couple of months, and building up energy for race day. Because it is still all about race day. Running 20 miles felt like a peak, but the real goal is 26.2. So try to relax. Get all your marathon day gear together, and put it away. Go to the movies. Read a book. Meet some friends for a non-alcoholic beer and a healthy salad ;) Don't spend the last two weeks chasing your training, tacking on a few extra miles to your runs, or throwing in faster miles, 'just to be sure'. That is taper madness - you worry that you aren't ready, so you go out an run harder than you should to convince yourself that you can.

Training is done, is over. Trust what you have done, and prepare for the race!

*You'll have the same thing after the marathon - mixed in with the satisfaction of having done it, you'll miss the focus that you've had for the last six months. Some people stop running for ages because of it, some do equally crazy things like sign up for another marathon immediately to chase the buzz again. I recommend joining a club post-marathon - I always recommend joining a club :) - so you'll have that structure to your training again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well folks i need to pick my time.. The over all goal was a 4 hour.. But that was picked months ago before any training started!

Times:
    10 mile 1:21
    Half 1:51

Now the 10 was a terrible day out.. Messed up my pacing going for a 1:20 and went out way too fast(like 40s per mile too quick). Died at 8 miles!

Half i played for a 1:50 but crowds ruined my first 3 miles so i didn't chase the lost time!

Is a 4:00 possible? The mind is confident.
    4:00 is average 9:08 pm pace which i have been keeping for any runs with pmp segments and have been ok. But i think my lsr's may have been a bit slow, Usually 10:15-10:30 pm..

Any thoughts?!

Well folks i need to pick my time.. The over all goal was a 4 hour.. But that was picked months ago before any training started!

Times:

Now the 10 was a terrible day out.. Messed up my pacing going for a 1:20 and went out way too fast(like 40s per mile too quick). Died at 8 miles!

Half i played for a 1:50 but crowds ruined my first 3 miles so i didn't chase the lost time!

4:00 is average 9:08 pm pace which i have been keeping for any runs with pmp segments and have been ok. But i think my lsr's may have been a bit slow, Usually 10:15-10:30 pm..

Any thoughts?!

4:00 is very possible based on all you've said above.

Long runs are meant to be much slower than MP - anything from 1-2 min slower.

4:00 is very possible based on all you've said above.

Long runs are meant to be much slower than MP - anything from 1-2 min slower.

FANTASTIC, as I've very similar times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've said to you before and I'll say it again. You have absolutely no reason not to go for sub4, I'd be very confident you'll get it. Even if you have an absolute stinker of a day and miss it, it won't be by much.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I've said to you before and I'll say it again. You have absolutely no reason not to go for sub4, I'd be very confident you'll get it. Even if you have an absolute stinker of a day and miss it, it won't be by much.

Thanks, will miss you in the pace group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Times:

Any thoughts?!

I'd have preferred to see you with a 1:45 or less half time to be more confident of the sub 4 but the quality and number of your long runs will truly dictate whether you'll hit that mark. I wouldn't focus too much on that time but aim to be in or around it and you'll have a good experience. Like AMK says , don't worry about the pace of your long runs. the time spent on your feet will be very useful on the day.

Thanks, will miss you in the pace group.

Nah you wont - he'll (Meno) be back in the 4 hour group by mile 24 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Times:

Any thoughts?!

I ran 1:25 in the FD10 and 1:47 in the HM before my first marathon and finished in 3:39. Sub 4 should be no problem for either of you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My Race series times were

1:18:58 - 10 Mile
    1:42:51 - half M

Would 3:50 be reasonable target? I feel I've done plenty of long runs at this stage (7 runs of 18 miles or longer). I wouldn't mind aiming for 3:45 as I've done most Marathon pace sessions at 8:30-8:35 but I should probably go out a little conservatively.

What do you think?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I ran 1:25 in the FD10 and 1:47 in the HM before my first marathon and finished in 3:39. Sub 4 should be no problem for either of you.

Jesus, really? Was it horrific or ok? That's an amazing time.

adrian522 wrote: »

Would 3:50 be reasonable target? I feel I've done plenty of long runs at this stage (7 runs of 18 miles or longer). I wouldn't mind aiming for 3:45 as I've done most Marathon pace sessions at 8:30-8:35 but I should probably go out a little conservatively.

What do you think?

I'd say 3:45 might be within your reach, but maybe set out behind the 3:50 pacers for the first 10k anyway (which is predominantly uphill). Decide for sure what you want to do after that.

Jesus, really? Was it horrific or ok? That's an amazing time.

The last 9 miles were horrific. I don't recommend you aim for 3:40. I think if I'd sat behind the 3:45 pacers that day (used to be 15min segments), I'd have enjoyed it far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

adrian522 wrote: »

What do you think?

I'd say 3:50 is definitely doable. 3:45 will depend on how you feel on the day, conditions etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks for the advice, I think the 3:50 pace group is where I'll start alright and take it from there.

• Advertisement

Thought for the day

is-taper-madness-making-me-crazy-or-have-i-been-so-busy-training-i-didnt-have-time-to-realize-that-ive-actually-been-crazy-all-along-33de3.png

Advertisement