Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

menoscemo wrote: »
    You're 10k converts well enough into your HM PB, so your endurance is at worst 'OK' ,but you have only 1 20 mile run done so it may be an issue in the last 10k. In saying that your 20 mile time had you on course for a 4hr finish (naught naughty, you should have ran it slower!!) so I think you will be there or thereabouts....

Ha ha love the ''naughty naughty, you should have ran it slower'', that is me all over....I ran the first 2/3rds of the 20 miles slow and put the boot down after 14 miles to see what I had in the tank and ended up at 3:04......told you I was stubborn.

Cheers and thanks for the advice, hoping to 'clip' sub 4 hours but won't be too upset if I slow up a bit after 20-22 miles....just want to get to the finish line in one piece, get that medal and a creamy pint of Guinness (or 6) as a reward!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Firedance wrote: »
    I'm watching my hopes for a 4.30 go down the drain with each post. I know its asking too much and I need to forget it.... I did most of my long runs around 10:30-11:00 pace BUT my half was 2:15 allbeit a bad day out, Athlone was 3:30, I didn't do FD 10 mile. Someone needs to bring me back to reality with a bang and tell me I'll be lucky to do 4:50 on the day
    4:30 is very adventurous..........sorry.
    4:49 is doable I reckon :)

I'm confused by this one, your LSR pace isn't too different to mine and I'm gonna go with the 4:30 pacers.

If someone just completed Athlone (20 mile?) in 3:30 then why would 4:30 be beyond them for the DCM? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

aquinn wrote: »
    Reminder email, like I need it that I've registered for DCM waiting for me this morning, BUT I have a bib number.
    Have also a reminder already in my phone to not forget ID for the expo.

No reminder email for me.
    I had to check that I definitely did register as it was way back in the beginning of the year!
    At that time I got an acceptable slip with a barcode so I'm assuming that's ok.......

• Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

Pacing advice /tapering paranoia/pre race nerves/worries bandwagon:

Running pretty consistently for the last 3 years. First time to try out marathon distance. Goal: Sub-4.

Did FD10 mile in 1:24:51
    Dublin HM in 1:49:09

Have only 1 20 mile LSR done. Completed it in 3:15:05. Average pace 9.46. Did last 3 miles at marathon pace and had the energy in me for a strong finish.

Did a 15 mile last Sunday at near marathon pace, completing it in 2:19:19. Average pace 9.12. Felt very comfortable doing it throughout.

As far as my LSR's go though, I'm worried to make sub-4. I've done a 20, 18, 16, 3x15, 14 and the rest have been 10-12 miles. My weekly mileage was also around the low 30's with my peak being 37 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

smashiner wrote: »
    Ha ha love the ''naughty naughty, you should have ran it slower'', that is me all over....I ran the first 2/3rds of the 20 miles slow and put the boot down after 14 miles to see what I had in the tank and ended up at 3:04......told you I was stubborn.

Cheers and thanks for the advice, hoping to 'clip' sub 4 hours but won't be too upset if I slow up a bit after 20-22 miles....just want to get to the finish line in one piece, get that medal and a creamy pint of Guinness (or 6) as a reward!!

The fact that you were able to speed up at the end is a very good sign...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Kop On wrote: »
    I'm confused by this one, your LSR pace isn't too different to mine and I'm gonna go with the 4:30 pacers.

If someone just completed Athlone (20 mile?) in 3:30 then why would 4:30 be beyond them for the DCM? :confused:

The HM time is a big factor here.

The athlone time is also ~10.5 min miles - 6 more miles would be slower than that I would presume and bring it in over the 4:30.

I'd anticipate closer to 4:45.

locombia wrote: »

Running pretty consistently for the last 3 years. First time to try out marathon distance. Goal: Sub-4.

Have only 1 20 mile LSR done. Completed it in 3:15:05. Average pace 9.46. Did last 3 miles at marathon pace and had the energy in me for a strong finish.

Did a 15 mile last Sunday at near marathon pace, completing it in 2:19:19. Average pace 9.12. Felt very comfortable doing it throughout.

As far as my LSR's go though, I'm worried to make sub-4. I've done a 20, 18, 16, 3x15, 14 and the rest have been 10-12 miles. My weekly mileage was also around the low 30's with my peak being 37 miles.

You're in the same boat as Aquinn. No reason not to go for sub 4 with those times. The fact that you have been running consistently for 3 years will stand to you.

locombia wrote: »

Ok - last one for now.

Based on a 1:49 HM you should have the potential for a sub 4 (maybe even 3:55) - but the lack of long runs at 20m or the lower weekly mileage will mean that your endurance will suffer as the race goes on.

Going in your favour is the fact that you are running 3 years, so should have a nice aerobic engine and the 15m at MP being comfortable.

Its a close call. 4:10 at worst? but you might just surprise yourself on the day.

You're in the same boat as Aquinn. No reason not to go for sub 4 with those times. The fact that you have been running consistently for 3 years will stand to you.
    Ok - last one for now.

Based on a 1:49 HM you should have the potential for a sub 4 (maybe even 3:55) - but the lack of long runs at 20m or the lower weekly mileage will mean that your endurance will suffer as the race goes on.

Going in your favour is the fact that you are running 3 years, so should have a nice aerobic engine and the 15m at MP being comfortable.

Its a close call. 4:10 at worst? but you might just surprise yourself on the day.

Ha ha - we should calibrate ourselves Meno!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

what was your half marathon time kop on? Although I'm pretty sure id have done mine in 2:08 having prev done 2:12, if I hadn't botched the start & it was 5 degrees cooler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Between this thread and the main Dublin marathon one, I've never in my life heard so much about other people's toenails. When I imagined doing the training and hitting taper this is not what I had anticipated.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Firedance wrote: »
    what was your half marathon time kop on? Although I'm pretty sure id have done mine in 2:08 having prev done 2:12, if I hadn't botched the start & it was 5 degrees cooler

I did it in 2:07 but that was really comfortable and used it as a LSR (for the most part). If I had raced it I could have gone under 2 hours.

I've only done one 20 miler and did that in 3:34 and am fairly confident that on the day itself using an almost identical strategy (albeit slightly faster) I'll get to the finish for 4:30.

*Clicks submit reply, with less confidence than I had earlier!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I did it in 2:07 but that was really comfortable and used it as a LSR (for the most part). If I had raced it I could have gone under 2 hours.

I've only done one 20 miler and did that in 3:34 and am fairly confident that on the day itself using an almost identical strategy (albeit slightly faster) I'll get to the finish for 4:30.

you're in a stronger position than me for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Fwiw and hopefully to give some back: I'm very similar. Last 20 miler done in 3:29. Also reckon I would take it home under 2 for a half but haven't had the chance to do so. I'm looking at 4:20 ish so I'd have strong confidence in your target at 4:30.

Just on the topic of Goals; it seems like everyone is setting themselves a target today!! While it is good to have a target, it's also very wise to listen to your body on the big day. Sometimes even though your goal was realistic, the day itself will present an unforeseen circumstance or you will not be at 100% for one of a myriad of reasons.

In such circumstances don't hesitate (especially if it's your first marathon) to back off the pace a touch. You might only lose a minute or two overall by backing off a touch early in the race but you might save many minutes off your finish time by doing so. It will also make your experience a hell of a lot better.

Do an 'NCT' on yourself every few miles, ask yourself if your breathing is fine, if your legs are good, if the pace/effort feels too much. I'm not saying to not push yourselves, if you are getting it tough in the last 10k that's to be expected, but If you are getting it tough in the first half you'd be wise to slow down a sidgen voluntarily before you don't have a choice in the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Thank for thoughts on the Pacing, gonna go with the 4.20, keep it slow & steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Pretty important question, but one that I have never seen asked;

After crossing the finish line....where do we get food as quickly as possible (the right food)?

I assume the marathon doesn't have a spread on like small races do?

there will be a goody bag and maybe bananas available but I would advise you to put something in your bag and pretty much make a beeline for that.

After finishing get water and start drinking that steadily but not excessively. Once you've stopped crying and completed your outer body experience (!) do try and keep moving so as not to stiffen up and do some light stretching (be careful not to stretch too aggressively or you will cramp up so just be careful here).

get to your bag and get your recovery food. I like to have water (or skim milk) and whey protein + instant oats in there as that's what I use for a recovery drink. You might have something else you use. chocolate milk? put it in a thermos with some ice to keep it cold!!!

For me one of the great pleasures of finishing is having something I really enjoy too so try and sort that for yourself. Don't get duped into eating something you don't want though and start potentially feeling sick as well. I ended up in Insomnia one year and ate a chocolate muffin. Felt a bit sick coz it was too soon to eat solids for me and I didn't even want the bloody thing!! So you might love Mars bars but maybe wait a bit before tucking into them!

A good recovery drink should give you an hour or more to settle and let your body calm down. Jut keep drinking water slowly but steadily as I said above. Very important to re-hydrate. (Don't over hydrate....if pee goes clear then stop drinking!)

hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just on the topic of Goals; it seems like everyone is setting themselves a target today!! While it is good to have a target, it's also very wise to listen to your body on the big day. Sometimes even though your goal was realistic, the day itself will present an unforeseen circumstance or you will not be at 100% for one of a myriad of reasons.

In such circumstances don't hesitate (especially if it's your first marathon) to back off the pace a touch. You might only lose a minute or two overall by backing off a touch early in the race but you might save many minutes off your finish time by doing so. It will also make your experience a hell of a lot better.

+1
    the main thing is to enjoy the day
    Setting yourself a target is useful if you remember that your target time is your absolute best time, and if you find yourself running at a pace that will bring you in ahead of target you are going too fast. Happens to thousands of people on race day. They feel good, they run at a pace that feels easy, and they don't do the math. Know your upper limit and don't exceed it until you can smell the finish line

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

denis160 wrote: »
    Thank for thoughts on the Pacing, gonna go with the 4.20, keep it slow & steady.

Now I'm getting a bit worried. My HM time is 1.58.xx so I thought double that & add 20 mins & 4.20 should be hopefully not an unrealistic goal. However after I see you aiming for the same time I'm wondering am I being too optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Nicsx wrote: »
    Now I'm getting a bit worried. My HM time is 1.58.xx so I thought double that & add 20 mins & 4.20 should be hopefully not an unrealistic goal. However after I see you aiming for the same time I'm wondering am I being too optimistic.

Why do you think that? My hm best time is 1.56, sso I'm thinking like you when setting the target. I know I couldn't keep the hm pace over 26 miles, so 4.20 should be a comfortable pace and won't see me blow out before the finish, .....I hope! That's the plan anyway. Why are you doubtful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

denis160 wrote: »
    Why do you think that? My hm best time is 1.56, sso I'm thinking like you when setting the target. I know I couldn't keep the hm pace over 26 miles, so 4.20 should be a comfortable pace and won't see me blow out before the finish, .....I hope! That's the plan anyway. Why are you doubtful?

I think it was seeing your HM pace was 8.50. I know mine was 9.02. Those 12 secs per mile got me worried. Plus I'm a bit worried I haven't left any wriggle room iykwim

The boss is taking a well earned Boards break - hopefully she'll be back tomorrow or Friday, I'll rally the troops to help out until then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have decided to go out with the 3:50 pacers and look at things again around the 20 mile mark. I wanted to do as many 20 mile runs as possible and I think I have this covered with six 20 mile runs and two 22 mile done since June and something like 850 miles ran since the start of the plan.

10 Mile:1:17:21
    Half time: 1:43:56

When I started the plan the target was under 4 hours so be happy with anything under that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have decided to go out with the 3:50 pacers and look at things again around the 20 mile mark. I wanted to do as many 20 mile runs as possible and I think I have this covered with six 20 mile runs and two 22 mile done since June and something like 850 miles ran since the start of the plan.

10 Mile:1:17:21
    Half time: 1:43:56

When I started the plan the target was under 4 hours so be happy with anything under that.

That's serious training, your mileage trumps anything that I've ever done for a marathon.

Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Gavlor wrote: »
    That's serious training, your mileage trumps anything that I've ever done for a marathon.

Well done!!

FYP;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

A few thoughts:

Remember the pacers are only a guide for everyone. You don't have to run right besides them or in their back pockets. 20 yards back there is always space from the mass of runners and if you stick with them, you'll still be under time.

Have a plan of what you're going to do and stick to it regardless of what you read/hear/see. The plan is for you, not for anyone else as only you know what training you've done and how you are feeling.

Have a Plan B if the first plan goes awry. Have a Plan C if B and A go south.

You may encounter incredible pain during the race. Thankfully your mind forgets and you train for another one as the feeling on crossing the line wins out over all the agony in the world.

Don't hang around the expo too long, it will mess with your head. Its like looking under the tree on Christmas Eve seeing loads of boxes with no name tags on it.

Be smart and fill out the contact details on your number if you don't wear an ID bracelet on your person.

Also I had forgotten how much of a head wrecker a taper is. I feel sorry for you all going mental for the first time. Any mad ideas/paranoid thoughts are totally normal and you need to tell your family this. Also injuries that come and go are the norm.

If you have a bad day, you're not the only one, we've all been there even the elites. It sucks to high heaven but once you learn from it, its a worthwhile run.

If it rains, its rain. If its 20 degrees, its 20 degrees. Worry about the things you can control, not those that you have no control over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great advice there, I'll try to take it on board. Anything can happen on the day and we need to be prepared to modify expectations if necessary on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Couple of great post above. Especially about enjoying it and being prepared to modify target.

Last year I set a comfortable target for my ability but the latter stages of the marathon I suffered some pain in my foot which I never got before. I stopped briefly to give it a rub/stretch and continued on at a slower pace.
    This was not a disaster for me as at the forefront of my mind from the start was to enjoy my first marathon. Came in a little outside target but it didn't matter in the slightest, I was still overjoyed.

Also, as mentioned above, try to keep moving a bit after you finish. I made the mistake of sitting on a step for a few minutes while having a drink, but found it A REAL STRUGGLE to get my ass of that step. Near impossible to tie my shoelaces as well. Even though I put on tracksuit bottoms and hoodie, I was extremely cold as I sat there and my fingers were numb :D

If ye are struggle at stages during the run try to think of something happy/positive. It doesn't have to be running related but the act of smiling will lift your spirits and take your mind of the bad stuff.
    It's getting close now folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Just one thing to add to all the great advice above.

Get in to the baggage drop and start early on the morning and get your bearings about what you will have to do and where you will have to go. No point in adding stress to the day by trying to find where you're going in a sea of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Fun question to consider for those who have not yet completed a marathon:

The 2days (roughly) following the marathon stairs are a (minor) challenge. Which do you think is more challenging - going up or coming down!?

Advertisement