Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

ice9 wrote: »
    Fun question to consider for those who have not yet completed a marathon:

The 2days (roughly) following the marathon stairs are a (minor) challenge. Which do you think is more challenging - going up or coming down!?

Down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The 2days (roughly) following the marathon stairs are a (minor) challenge. Which do you think is more challenging - going up or coming down!?

Down - especially after a ryanair flight after my last marathon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Down - especially after a ryanair flight after my last marathon :(

ha ha I'm in trouble so, going for dinner that night in a restaurant that's up a good number of steep stairs (picked by fellow runners!), hopefully the wine will numb the pain when trying to leave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

I don't know. I'm usually so drunk going to up to bed that I don't remember coming down the stairs the next morning.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Firedance wrote: »
    ha ha I'm in trouble so, going for dinner that night in a restaurant that's up a good number of steep stairs (picked by fellow runners!), hopefully the wine will numb the pain when trying to leave...

Just get a piggy back down the stairs! Sorted! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Cat's out of the bag - down is nasty! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yep - you can crawl up !

did everyone see this video of the course? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnKDmq8FPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

I know the Liffey part, after that I'll be a running tourist. "Are we there yet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Do I get a prize for being first? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Was at a club talk last nite for first time marathoners,1 interesting point came to the fore regarding pistive splits and at Wat point to speed up ,most intimated speeding up at the half way point,but were advised to holdback speed up after 20/21 ,just a point dat maybe ossollo/meno/galvor can elaborate on for troops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Top tip - go down stairs backwards, it really is easier

(maybe not after a bottle of wine though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am staying in a hotel for the marathon weekend. As the race starts at 9am I would want to be eating no later than 7am. What have people done other years. Most hotels serve from 7am but with it being a bank holiday it could be 7.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I am staying in a hotel for the marathon weekend. As the race starts at 9am I would want to be eating no later than 7am. What have people done other years. Most hotels serve from 7am but with it being a bank holiday it could be 7.30.

You could probably order room service for earlier? Otherwise I'd make sure I had cereal, coffee, water etc in the room. I'd bring food to the room anyway incase you wake earlier than breakfast time and you're starving! And a 2l of water. Hotels can dehydrate you at the best of times. Maybe bring your own pillow too for a decent sleep :)

What are you planning to eat? It should be whatever you usually eat before a long run - don't switch to a full Irish on race day

when we were in Milan in April 4 of the group were doing the marathon, they spoke to the hotel in advance and explained and asked if they would make their porridge for them etc, they were VERY helpful, opened the kitchen half an hour early etc, I'm sure most hotels would be accommodating once they're asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Nicsx wrote: »
    I think it was seeing your HM pace was 8.50. I know mine was 9.02. Those 12 secs per mile got me worried. Plus I'm a bit worried I haven't left any wriggle room iykwim

Nicsx you'll be grand, not much in 12 secs. Stick with what you've decided or your head will be melted. See ya at the 4.20 group :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Most hotels, if asked, will accomodate an early breakfast for runners. Especially on marathon weekend. If porridge is your thing, check they do it, again, most places will put it on if they know there'll be a demand. It's cheaper for them to provide porridge too, rather than your traditional fry.

Last time I was in your position was in 2013 and the breakfast room in Jury's, Limerick was opened especially, was full of runners and they put on porridge for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Any one else feel that their life is 'on hold' until the 27th??

I think my jeans are getting tighter and I can't run for more than 60 seconds to get on a Luas without being slightly out of breath plus ankle and 'good' knee sore and niggly, not sure whether to bring water belt, ear phones, sun cream, Deep Heat, Ralgex, High 5 Gels, Jelly Babies, Asics or New Balance runners.

Can't concentrate in work,zoning out at home, days are dragging in.....only want to speak to people about the Marathon....whether they want to or not.......turning every conversation with friends to about the DCM where possible....can't sleep after watching DCM route video due to elevated heart rate jumping around in my chest. Had a dream that I pushed for 4 hours too hard and ended up hobbling over the finish line in agony in 6 hours (hopefully not a vision)!!

Anyone else going slightly mad..........??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

smashiner wrote: »

I think my jeans are getting tighter and I can't run for more than 60 seconds to get on a Luas without being slightly out of breath plus ankle and 'good' knee sore and niggly, not sure whether to bring water belt, ear phones, sun cream, Deep Heat, Ralgex, High 5 Gels, Jelly Babies, Asics or New Balance runners.

Can't concentrate in work,zoning out at home, days are dragging in.....only want to speak to people about the Marathon....whether they want to or not.......turning every conversation with friends to about the DCM where possible....can't sleep after watching DCM route video due to elevated heart rate jumping around in my chest. Had a dream that I pushed for 4 hours too hard and ended up hobbling over the finish line in agony in 6 hours (hopefully not a vision)!!

+1, at this moment my foot, which never gave me jip is going to be the undoing of all my training (mad thoughts), lack of sleep and sore arms from reaching into the sweet press is making we think the 27th will not roll around quick enough!
    You're not alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

You're not alone...

Definitely not. I feel like I've put on a load of weight. Drove through some of the route today and seen the DCM signs about. It's getting close!

smashiner wrote: »

not to mention spending our days on the internet talking to strangers because no one else really understands :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am hoping to have some porridge, a couple of sausages and some fruit with yoghurt etc. A cappuccino and then I will be ready to smash this DCM. Now all I need is to figure out how to put up that 'Eye of the Tiger' video. 😉😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So for something to occupy time on taper while ye are looking for stuff to do that would normally be taken up with running would be to take a look at the last couple of years of Novice Race reports so you know what to expect in 11 days time!

Some great lessons learned in here in terms of what people are glad they done..and what they wish they had done different looking back after the race:

2012 DCM Novice Reports

2013 DCM Novice Reports

Here is one great snippit from tomred1N:

"PS Novice Things I learned yesterday
    Don’t leave carb loading till Sunday...you’ll feel like a beached whale Sunday night
    Don’t drink a litre of water waiting around at the start....you’ll.....well u know
    Don’t use a phone for pacing...u won’t be able to access data when you need it
    Don’t order a garmin from amazon a week before the race........it might come the day after the race and believe me you won’t have any interest in it then
    Don’t assume you will see mile markers from 18 on telling you how much distance is left
    Don’t believe anyone as to what distance is left after 22 miles
    Do read the map provided to know where the finishing line is .....
    Do stop to take time to put that extra gel in your belt....never know when u might need it and it will only take 10 seconds
    Don’t think this is easy.... ever
    Do read boards or else you may look like you were attached by a shark when you finish"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

not to mention spending our days on the internet talking to strangers because no one else really understands :P

/puts soppy hat on

Strangers that become friends as the journey here continues. I've met people here on boards athletics forum I consider friends at this point. Some I've only ever interacted with online, some I've met up with along the way. Hopefully a good majority here make it to McGrattans for a drink and to put some faces to names.

/takes soppy hat off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

blockic wrote: »
    So for something to occupy time on taper while ye are looking for stuff to do that would normally be taken up with running would be to take a look at the last couple of years of Novice Race reports so you know what to expect in 11 days time!

Some great lessons learned in here in terms of what people are glad they done..and what they wish they had done different looking back after the race:

2012 DCM Novice Reports

2013 DCM Novice Reports

Here is one great snippit from tomred1N:

"PS Novice Things I learned yesterday
    Don’t leave carb loading till Sunday...you’ll feel like a beached whale Sunday night
    Don’t drink a litre of water waiting around at the start....you’ll.....well u know
    Don’t use a phone for pacing...u won’t be able to access data when you need it
    Don’t order a garmin from amazon a week before the race........it might come the day after the race and believe me you won’t have any interest in it then
    Don’t assume you will see mile markers from 18 on telling you how much distance is left
    Don’t believe anyone as to what distance is left after 22 miles
    Do read the map provided to know where the finishing line is .....
    Do stop to take time to put that extra gel in your belt....never know when u might need it and it will only take 10 seconds
    Don’t think this is easy.... ever
    Do read boards or else you may look like you were attached by a shark when you finish"

My own favourite, from RayCun I believe, was to cut your toenails about 1 week in advance of the day. If you clip them too short, they'll have a chance to grow back.

I am hoping to have some porridge, a couple of sausages and some fruit with yoghurt etc. A cappuccino

is that your usual breakfast?

PaulieC wrote: »
    My own favourite, from RayCun I believe, was to cut your toenails about 1 week in advance of the day. If you clip them too short, they'll have a chance to grow back.

Toenail Tuesday!

• Advertisement

Advertisement