Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

blockic wrote: »
    So for something to occupy time on taper while ye are looking for stuff to do that would normally be taken up with running would be to take a look at the last couple of years of Novice Race reports so you know what to expect in 11 days time!

Some great lessons learned in here in terms of what people are glad they done..and what they wish they had done different looking back after the race:

"PS Novice Things I learned yesterday
    Don’t leave carb loading till Sunday...you’ll feel like a beached whale Sunday night
    Don’t drink a litre of water waiting around at the start....you’ll.....well u know
    Don’t use a phone for pacing...u won’t be able to access data when you need it
    Don’t order a garmin from amazon a week before the race........it might come the day after the race and believe me you won’t have any interest in it then
    Don’t assume you will see mile markers from 18 on telling you how much distance is left
    Don’t believe anyone as to what distance is left after 22 miles
    Do read the map provided to know where the finishing line is .....
    Do stop to take time to put that extra gel in your belt....never know when u might need it and it will only take 10 seconds
    Don’t think this is easy.... ever
    Do read boards or else you may look like you were attached by a shark when you finish"

I actually was wondering about Carb loading. Is this practice gone by the wayside with the convenience of gels?

I remember a friend doing DCM a few years back, he was eating so much rice pudding in the week before the marathon I thought about buying shares in Ambrosia. I’ve heard very little mention of it in this thread or around these forums in the last year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ChadHogan wrote: »
    I actually was wondering about Carb loading. Is this practice gone by the wayside with the convenience of gels?

I remember a friend doing DCM a few years back, he was eating so much rice pudding in the week before the marathon I thought about buying shares in Ambrosia. I’ve heard very little mention of it in this thread or around these forums in the last year or so.

My own take on carb loading:

We eat carbs everyday and they get stored in our muscles and liver as Glycogen. When training intensely we burn up the glycogen and then replace it by eating carbs. This is a cycle.
    During taper we are not training as much and in the last week of training we are training very little. So assuming you are gettting lots of carbs in your diet anyway and not burining them all up through training; you should have lots of Glycogen stored.
    In order to be sure, just eat a little bit more carbs in your diet (maybe dropping some protein/fats) in the last day or two before the race*. But I don't think there is need for anymore than that. Remember if your muscles are already full of glycogen, feeding your body more carbs will only lead to the body storing the excess as fat. It's like trying to put more petrol in a car when the tank is already full; it's unnecessary.

*Stick to the carb sources you are used to whether that be Potato, rice, pasta or whatever. Don't be trying new foods you are not used to beacuse you read something somewhere that you should eat xyz...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

smashiner wrote: »
    Any one else feel that their life is 'on hold' until the 27th??

I think my jeans are getting tighter and I can't run for more than 60 seconds to get on a Luas without being slightly out of breath plus ankle and 'good' knee sore and niggly, not sure whether to bring water belt, ear phones, sun cream, Deep Heat, Ralgex, High 5 Gels, Jelly Babies, Asics or New Balance runners.

Can't concentrate in work,zoning out at home, days are dragging in.....only want to speak to people about the Marathon....whether they want to or not.......turning every conversation with friends to about the DCM where possible....can't sleep after watching DCM route video due to elevated heart rate jumping around in my chest. Had a dream that I pushed for 4 hours too hard and ended up hobbling over the finish line in agony in 6 hours (hopefully not a vision)!!

Anyone else going slightly mad..........??

The other night I dreamt I started out on my last LSR barefoot (why I don't know) but found the stones too hard for my delicate feet so I told my friend to go on & I'd meet her at the Dropping Well. So I turned up the hill towards home to get my runners but couldn't move, it was like I was running on a treadmill. Two schoolgirls passed me out walking up the hill & then a granny in a motorised wheelchair passed me out! :eek: What can it mean? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess it means you should probably wear shoes on the day. Or maybe it means you should stop in to the dropping well for a pint on the day. Both good options to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    My own take on carb loading:

We eat carbs everyday and they get stored in our muscles and liver as Glycogen. When training intensely we burn up the glycogen and then replace it by eating carbs. This is a cycle.
    During taper we are not training as much and in the last week of training we are training very little. So assuming you are gettting lots of carbs in your diet anyway and not burining them all up through training; you should have lots of Glycogen stored.
    In order to be sure, just eat a little bit more carbs in your diet (maybe dropping some protein/fats) in the last day or two before the race*. But I don't think there is need for anymore than that. Remember if your muscles are already full of glycogen, feeding your body more carbs will only lead to the body storing the excess as fat. It's like trying to put more petrol in a car when the tank is already full; it's unnecessary.

*Stick to the carb sources you are used to whether that be Potato, rice, pasta or whatever. Don't be trying new foods you are not used to beacuse you read something somewhere that you should eat xyz...

Great post meno, agree on you standpoint...it a bit more carbs couple days in lead up and you are fine..don't need to over think it.

Again...it is all about experience and trial and error here but this is what works for me.

I tend to eat my big meal for the day at lunch time the day before the marathon, have a regular meal in the evening then, but done early 6-7pm.

In the morning I would have a decent breakfast, consumed 2 hours before the race minimum.

Others would have very little in the mornings...best piece of advise is above from RayCun. What ever you have done on your long runs, do the morning of the race.

Not sure if it has already been done in the last couple of weeks (ive only been dipping in and out), but have people done a dress rehearsal on one of the long runs? (get up at same time as marathon morning. eat what you intend to eat, dress in what you intend to dress, get the timings right, and go out for a run..it could still be done this weekend, the actual run wouldn't have to be long, 5-6 miles even..its just about the initial set up and getting your mind set for race morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Some great lessons learned in here in terms of what people are glad they done..and what they wish they had done different looking back after the race:

2012 DCM Novice Reports

2013 DCM Novice Reports

Good Job Blockic - so many great memories from 2012 and fun reading over the thread again. That seems so long ago.

To this years novices, do take some time to read the reports and you'll get a great sense of what it is like to take part and finish. They're not all positive, but thats what this thread is all about, learn from others and move on. You've been in great hands with Ososlo and you've done the training, trust it and go out and enjoy the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

blockic when you say you have your big meal at lunchtime and then a regular meal later on, what do you mean by a regular meal, what you would normally have for lunch or normal dinner sized meal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Good Job Blockic - so many great memories from 2012 and fun reading over the thread again. That seems so long ago.

To this years novices, do take some time to read the reports and you'll get a great sense of what it is like to take part and finish. They're not all positive, but thats what this thread is all about, learn from others and move on. You've been in great hands with Ososlo and you've done the training, trust it and go out and enjoy the day.

+1
    Also took a trip down memory lane there. And a similar set of stories for 2013 which I hadn't read before. Looking forward to the class of 2014 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

adrian522 wrote: »
    blockic when you say you have your big meal at lunchtime and then a regular meal later on, what do you mean by a regular meal, what you would normally have for lunch or normal dinner sized meal?

I guess what I should have said is that my dinner portions (proper meal) are usually larger than by lunch portions (sandwich/ salad etc.)

The day before the race I tend to switch them around, so I'd have my "dinner" at lunch time (with an extra portion of carbs)...then have something smaller than my usual "dinner" in the early evening (lunch sized portion).

Really so as not to feel like a "beached whale Sunday night" what I quoted tomred1N on above.

But that said, many people do it different ways, depending on how your body reacts, you wont know exactly until you go through it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I guess what I should have said is that my dinner portions (proper meal) are usually larger than by lunch portions (sandwich/ salad etc.)

The day before the race I tend to switch them around, so I'd have my "dinner" at lunch time (with an extra portion of carbs)...then have something smaller than my usual "dinner" in the early evening (lunch sized portion).

Really so as not to feel like a "beached whale Sunday night" what I quoted tomred1N on above.

But that said, many people do it different ways, depending on how your body reacts, you wont know exactly until you go through it yourself.

Happy meal FTW ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

adrian522 wrote: »

I guess he means to have your biggest meal of the day at lunch time and have a smaller meal in the evening.

If you have a big meal late in the evening, then it may make you feel sluggish that night or lead to stomach issues etc.

The next morning you top off your glycogen (energy) stores with a good breakfast that consists of whatever you have done on your long run days.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant alright. I've been putting more thought into my post run meal than m last pre run meal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

RayCun wrote: »
    is that your usual breakfast?

I would have had something similar pre races before. I find the coffee peps me up. Porridge is always a good one as you get a slow release of energy from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

I would have had something similar pre races before. I find the coffee peps me up. Porridge is always a good one as you get a slow release of energy from it.

My friend and I did the Gaelforce West a few years ago and he was so nervous about breakfast because of the very early start (bus to start left at 5.30am!) that he made porridge the night before and put it in a bag. Then ate it out of the bag on the bus and retched after every mouthful! I'm in stitches now just thinking about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The boss is taking a well earned Boards break - hopefully she'll be back tomorrow or Friday, I'll rally the troops to help out until then.

Thanks AMK although I'm not sure I'm needed around here with all the super advice the experienced folks have been giving you all over the last 2 days! Thanks for that. Some great nuggets there to take from the voices of experience. Keep it coming Boadsies...

I realised yesterday that I hadn't taken more than a day off this thread since it started back in May so took a little break yesterday but I knew you'd all be in excellent hands with AMK et al... :)

So how are people feeling health wise? I know a good few of you had sniffles and a few with worse symptoms all of which is quite common during taper.
    Are you feeling better? Everyone should try and stay as healthy as possible between now and Monday and here are a few suggestions to try to stave off any colds:

- Drink plenty of water throughout the day but not too much.
    Plenty of little sips.

- Try and get a little extra sleep each night.
    Instead of reading boards into the night, get to bed a little earlier.
    Even 30 mins to an hour extra a night will do wonders for you :)

- Try to not get stressed by the small stuff.
    You might find you start getting nervous in the next 10 days.
    It's completely normal but instead of stressing and worrying and
    reading up on marathon stuff and getting more and more stressed
    and obsessed, take some time out.
    Read a book, watch movies with the family/friends etc. Distract yourself.
    It's very easy get wound up by it all and sometimes it's good to sit back
    and take a mental break from all things marathon and running.

- Ensure the diet is extra good with plenty of fruit and veg
    and maybe consider taking extra vitamin C.

- Wash your hands regularly. I used to carry around a sanitary hand
    spray thing in my handbag which was especially useful in work/social
    situations where I couldn't wash my hands a lot.

- Goes without saying but avoid the alcohol.
    A glass of something or a slice of sherry trifle isn't going to do any harm
    but no sessions!

- And remember to relax and smile.
    Laughter is the best prevention/medicine of all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    Thanks AMK although I'm not sure I'm needed around here with all the super advice the experienced folks have been giving you all over the last 2 days!

Trust me, you are needed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nicsx wrote: »
    Just get a piggy back down the stairs! Sorted! :)

I came down the stairs backwards for the first few days after debut marathon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

I realised yesterday that I hadn't taken more than a day off this thread since it started back in May so took a little break yesterday

Welcome back Ososlo. Hope all is well. You've given so much of your time, support and advice to us over the last few months on this thread. I don't know how I would have got through the training without it!

Welcome back, it was touch and go there for a while, but I think we just about got through it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So since there are still runs on the training plan may as well still update!

Last night on the boards plan was 4m easy with 6x100m strides. Really enjoy these runs.. Got to the 4 mile mark just before the house and felt like going around another lap but held back.. Damn i just want to run!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

So since there are still runs on the training plan may as well still update!

Last night on the boards plan was 4m easy with 6x100m strides. Really enjoy these runs.. Got to the 4 mile mark just before the house and felt like going around another lap but held back.. Damn i just want to run!!!

Absolute. Important to still get all your runs in next week too. It's easy to fool yourself into thinking that if you rest you might be fresher on the big day You have to keep that motor ticking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

You know the marathon is close when you open the fridge and the best before date on the milk is Oct 29. :eek:

Never been so nervous eating my cereal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks AMK although I'm not sure I'm needed around here with all the super advice the experienced folks have been giving you all over the last 2 days!

We're just jumping in for the glory lap, you've been doing the long hard training miles :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Morning all! Great advice in the past few days, as always! Well finalllly feel like I am back in the land of the living, had the most rotten flu that seemed to go on and on and on, but think it is finally easing up a bit. Did 3 miles Wed on a treadie just to get back into it, and a spin class yesterday morning, taking it handy today and tomorrow morning will get out for 8 or 10 miles, very slowly. Feel like I have missed a lot of running the last two weeks and it is making me EXTRA nervous about DCM, last week only got out for 2 shorts runs, and this week will be the same really. Trying to mind myself now, dont think I have ever taken so much Vit C in my life!! As I switched weeks around my last long run was a week before everyone elses, I am wondering if this is going to have a big impact? Think I am just doubting everything at the moment!!

Thankfully am feeling a lot better, think if I am careful for the next few days will get rid of the end of this cold for good, and will be extra careful next week with everything, including what I am eating etc. I guess have just been feeling horrible so not thinking straight, need to get my positive happy head on & start looking forward to it now!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Bit of a mare for me this week. Have only due to work commitments been able to manage one 4 mile run since my 12mile lsr last Sunday.
    Getting worried I'm falling at the last hurdle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

not that any of us are counting or anything but 10 days to D day.... 3 good runs this week so far, my right hamstring has been giving me bother the last week though, have physio session on Monday hopefully she can sort it, its hanging in there despite foam rolling & stretching. Am off to holland & barrett at lunch time to buy some magnesium spray they've been talking about on the runners support page, anyone here ever tried it?? Have also started on the 2012/2013 race reports, lots of reading in them!

Mimojo wrote: »
    Morning all! Great advice in the past few days, as always! Well finalllly feel like I am back in the land of the living, had the most rotten flu that seemed to go on and on and on, but think it is finally easing up a bit. Did 3 miles Wed on a treadie just to get back into it, and a spin class yesterday morning, taking it handy today and tomorrow morning will get out for 8 or 10 miles, very slowly. Feel like I have missed a lot of running the last two weeks and it is making me EXTRA nervous about DCM, last week only got out for 2 shorts runs, and this week will be the same really. Trying to mind myself now, dont think I have ever taken so much Vit C in my life!! As I switched weeks around my last long run was a week before everyone elses, I am wondering if this is going to have a big impact? Think I am just doubting everything at the moment!!

Thankfully am feeling a lot better, think if I am careful for the next few days will get rid of the end of this cold for good, and will be extra careful next week with everything, including what I am eating etc. I guess have just been feeling horrible so not thinking straight, need to get my positive happy head on & start looking forward to it now!!
    Exactly. Positivity will do more for you than anything over the next 10 days.
    Stay healthy and have faith in the training you've done over the past months.
    I really don't think that being a week behind is going to have an impact. If anything you'll be extra extra fresh legs for the big day!

Casey78 wrote: »
    Bit of a mare for me this week. Have only due to work commitments been able to manage one 4 mile run since my 12mile lsr last Sunday.
    Getting worried I'm falling at the last hurdle.

It's not gonna make a significant difference at this point. Get out today if you can and get a few miles in to keep the legs ticking over. You'll be fine :)

Guys and gals, keep an eye on the discussion over on the main D CM thread in the events section as they're discussing cramping so could be beneficial. I have no experience of cramping thankfully so can't help out but a lot of people seem to suffer from it so you'll get good tips over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Having a real mixture of emotions

It's hitting me now that we're coming into the last weekend before the big day – and I'm not feeling confident at all
    Every now and then I get a sudden sense of panic.
    Feeling unprepared and 5hittting it! It's not even so-called "Taper madness" - because I ACTUALLY AM under-prepared!

On the other hand, I've raised a lot of money already so far for a very very important cause to me and I'm over the moon with myself - I've raised a lot more than I thought possible - and still going - which in a way, causes me to be 5hitting it even more!

So basically, 5hitting it - and buzzing at the same time! Weird!:eek:

Advertisement