Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

Anyone else feed sluggish this week? I had the impression I would be floating around on air once I started tapering! 8 miles yesterday and it didn't feel too great. I'm thinking about going back to the chiropractor for one last visit, right leg doesn't feel as good as it did 2 weeks ago, but maybe it's just part of the tapering madness

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Just Tweeted Irish Rail about DART service on morning of the Marathon

No early DART being laid on from the Northside of Dublin.

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/523050242112253952

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Ososlo wrote: »
    Guys and gals, keep an eye on the discussion over on the main D CM thread in the events section as they're discussing cramping so could be beneficial. I have no experience of cramping thankfully so can't help out but a lot of people seem to suffer from it so you'll get good tips over there.

I can speak from experience on this one. In London this year I cramped badly in hamstring at mile 19. Stopped to try stretch it out and the other one went. Thought I was done for. Then remembered a conversation I had with meno the day before about the best thing to do here was to keep moving. I followed that advice and a walk soon turned into a jog which soon turned into a run and I was back up to pace again within half a mile. Had to mind it for rest of race but thanks to that piece of advice I finished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

It's not gonna make a significant difference at this point. Get out today if you can and get a few miles in to keep the legs ticking over. You'll be fine :)

Is this the taper madness they speak of taking a hold of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Anyone else feed sluggish this week? I had the impression I would be floating around on air once I started tapering! 8 miles yesterday and it didn't feel too great. I'm thinking about going back to the chiropractor for one last visit, right leg doesn't feel as good as it did 2 weeks ago, but maybe it's just part of the tapering madness

It's perfectly normal to feel a bit sluggish now. You're body is in recovery mode at the minute. Trust in the taper, you'll be raring to go on raceday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Having a real mixture of emotions

It's hitting me now that we're coming into the last weekend before the big day – and I'm not feeling confident at all
    Every now and then I get a sudden sense of panic.
    Feeling unprepared and 5hittting it! It's not even so-called "Taper madness" - because I ACTUALLY AM under-prepared!

On the other hand, I've raised a lot of money already so far for a very very important cause to me and I'm over the moon with myself - I've raised a lot more than I thought possible - and still going - which in a way, causes me to be 5hitting it even more!

You're not alone. I'm in a similar situation. I've only done one 20 miler so could do with being more prepared.

Well done on collecting so much money. That's your motivator right there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Big Sis home from Boston to run the marathon together so haven't been able to read everyone's posts. I keep snicking off to get my fix and try and catch up.
    So if I have it right we are all feeling the same with emotions all over the place and questioning our pace.
    I did 8 miles this morning and it felt good,a bit sluggish.

If anyone would like to advice me on the correct pace for me to finish as close to 5 hours as possible i would be very happy.
    20 mile lsr ave pace 12.40
    Best half 2.19 but most resent one 2.29
    8 miles this morning ave pace 11.40 felt very comfortable.

I want to say a big thank you to everyone for all the very informative posts. I have learnt so much from you all.
    I am as prepared as I am ever going to be so looking forward to the day and hopefully meeting everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pagep195

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Having a real mixture of emotions

It's hitting me now that we're coming into the last weekend before the big day – and I'm not feeling confident at all
    Every now and then I get a sudden sense of panic.
    Feeling unprepared and 5hittting it! It's not even so-called "Taper madness" - because I ACTUALLY AM under-prepared!

On the other hand, I've raised a lot of money already so far for a very very important cause to me and I'm over the moon with myself - I've raised a lot more than I thought possible - and still going - which in a way, causes me to be 5hitting it even more!

So basically, 5hitting it - and buzzing at the same time! Weird!:eek:

I was in the same boat as you last year. I decided to do the marathon very late in the day for personal reasons, and only managed to get two 18 mile runs in, and no 20 milers in advance of the marathon.

I was running for charity too, and that does add an extra burden of worry or a greater incentive, depending on how you look at it. I chose to look at as an incentive and there was no way I wasn't going to finish. I ran with the 3:50 pacers and was comfortable all the way until mile 19 - I won't lie to you, the last 6 miles were very tough, but I got there in 3:54 and was delighted with that. You WILL finish it -others may have prepared better, but I bet there will just as many who didn't do as much as you also. Don't go out too fast, stay nice and relaxed and run at a pace you are comfortable at and you will get there.

And enjoy it - all the training will have been for nothing if you do not enjoy the occasion; it is such a special feeling when you cross the line. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

So the other half wants me to visit the doctor before the race anyone else do this? or is there any point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Big Sis home from Boston to run the marathon together so haven't been able to read everyone's posts. I keep snicking off to get my fix and try and catch up.
    So if I have it right we are all feeling the same with emotions all over the place and questioning our pace.
    I did 8 miles this morning and it felt good,a bit sluggish.

If anyone would like to advice me on the correct pace for me to finish as close to 5 hours as possible i would be very happy.
    20 mile lsr ave pace 12.40
    Best half 2.19 but most resent one 2.29
    8 miles this morning ave pace 11.40 felt very comfortable.

I want to say a big thank you to everyone for all the very informative posts. I have learnt so much from you all.
    I am as prepared as I am ever going to be so looking forward to the day and hopefully meeting everyone.

For a 4:59 finish - thats 11:25 per mile.
    Based on your recent half of 2.29, I'd say you are looking at over 5 hours and possibly close to 5:20-5:30.
    Even a 2:19 halfM would be very close for a 5hr finish.

But, with a good taper and the race day buzz - you never know. Start off at the conservative pace and see how you feel in the 2nd half of the race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Darren 83 wrote: »
    So the other half wants me to visit the doctor before the race anyone else do this? or is there any point?

Was made go with chest pains. No harm to get bloods and pressure checked, other than that there's not a lot they're going to tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Was in the docs for something else when training started and was saying i was going to do the marathon. He checked the heart and pressure and he was happy with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Still sick, haven't run in 6 days but rest is more important at the minute than trying a run and making myself worse. I think I've passed the freaking out stage that I haven't run.
    Was curious as the DCM app updated so went in for a nose. Anyone look at the foam rolling video? They use it like a rolling pin, which I used to, but was told that for tight areas stay on the spot until it eases?
    Went to the Dr a few months ago when I decided to enter and he checked my pulse, an athletes one apparently but that seems to be genetic since my Sister claims the same. He said as long as my limbs hold up I'll be grand, excellent. Also that as I'm only recently running it's better for me as body will last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

aquinn wrote: »
    Still sick, haven't run in 6 days but rest is more important at the minute than trying a run and making myself worse. I think I've passed the freaking out stage that I haven't run.
    Was curious as the DCM app updated so went in for a nose. Anyone look at the foam rolling video? They use it like a rolling pin, which I used to, but was told that for tight areas stay on the spot until it eases?
    Went to the Dr a few months ago when I decided to enter and he checked my pulse, an athletes one apparently but that seems to be genetic since my Sister claims the same. He said as long as my limbs hold up I'll be grand, excellent. Also that as I'm only recently running it's better for me as body will last longer.

Hey A. I didn't see that video but would always do the rolling all over and use like a rolling pin for a general all over session but if I had specific sore spots, I'd hold it in place on the spot (ouch!) for maybe 20 seconds until it eases. Always works well for me.
    Hope you're over the worst of your sickness and when you're feeling100%, get out there for maybe 3 easy miles to asses things.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Have been keeping an eye on the posts since I decided to run the marathon about 7 weeks ago. I'm in the same boat as some of the contributors in regards to a slight panic as this is the final weekend and asking myself have I done enough to run.

I have asked a lot of myself to try and get to marathon distance in 7 weeks (I must confess I have ran a half this summer). Sore knee has prevented me from running this week which has resulted in a fear setting in.

Also would like to thank all who have put up very helpful tips to aid the novice runners.

Best of luck to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

pagep195 wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as you last year. I decided to do the marathon very late in the day for personal reasons, and only managed to get two 18 mile runs in, and no 20 milers in advance of the marathon.

I was running for charity too, and that does add an extra burden of worry or a greater incentive, depending on how you look at it. I chose to look at as an incentive and there was no way I wasn't going to finish. I ran with the 3:50 pacers and was comfortable all the way until mile 19 - I won't lie to you, the last 6 miles were very tough, but I got there in 3:54 and was delighted with that. You WILL finish it -others may have prepared better, but I bet there will just as many who didn't do as much as you also. Don't go out too fast, stay nice and relaxed and run at a pace you are comfortable at and you will get there.

And enjoy it - all the training will have been for nothing if you do not enjoy the occasion; it is such a special feeling when you cross the line. Best of luck!

Yeah I'm further along than you were in terms of long runs done but I have missed a lot of midweek runs because I haven't had a single run without niggles since July. And there's no way I'd consider going with the 3:50 pacers. Fair play to you for only dropping 4 minutes behind the 3:50 pacers over those 6 miles. That was good battling!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carmendub

Just wondering what people are doing this weekend as their last LSR. Was planning on doing 10miles but not sure if I should maybe do less?!Also next week are people planning on doing their normal 3 or 4 times running during the week but only a few miles or having complete rest? Not enjoying this tapering lark-my body feels like it's shutting down, sluggish etc and just not feeling 100%-also for the first time in months I have had to drag myself out of the house to run and am not enjoying the runs either!! I know it's just the tapering but it's funny how great you feel when you are doing so much more running and distance! What will we all do when this is over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

carmendub wrote: »
    Just wondering what people are doing this weekend as their last LSR. Was planning on doing 10miles but not sure if I should maybe do less?!Also next week are people planning on doing their normal 3 or 4 times running during the week but only a few miles or having complete rest? Not enjoying this tapering lark-my body feels like it's shutting down, sluggish etc and just not feeling 100%-also for the first time in months I have had to drag myself out of the house to run and am not enjoying the runs either!! I know it's just the tapering but it's funny how great you feel when you are doing so much more running and distance! What will we all do when this is over!!

I would keep the same number of runs where possible and just cut down the distance. Make sure not to go faster than normal just because it's a short run.
    10 Miles this weekend seems fine to me, but I guess it depends on your mileage, again don't be tempted to run this one at any more than your normal easy long run pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

aquinn wrote: »

I'm in the same boat here :(

Have been properly sick for last week or so, having not really gotten over a dose from two weeks back. Chesty cough, nasal drip, general tiredness. My heart is saying get out and run, head is saying no. Whatever part deals with panic has set off and is worried that:

1 - Will still be sick on the day.
    2 - Will have seized up from lack of running. Aches and pains in all areas associated with tight calves. Booked in with ecoli though next week so am less concerned about this.
    3 - Both of the above.

Haven't even hit taper madness yet because this is all too real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I'm in the same boat here :(

Have been properly sick for last week or so, having not really gotten over a dose from two weeks back. Chesty cough, nasal drip, general tiredness. My heart is saying get out and run, head is saying no. Whatever part deals with panic has set off and is worried that:

1 - Will still be sick on the day.
    2 - Will have seized up from lack of running. Aches and pains in all areas associated with tight calves. Booked in with ecoli though next week so am less concerned about this.
    3 - Both of the above.

Haven't even hit taper madness yet because this is all too real.

Same here - been sick for over 2 weeks at this stage & missed last two long runs because of it. My head is telling me to cut my losses at this stage & get a new focus - my heart is hanging in there for another few days (as for my lungs - well they're the root of all evil atm).

Hope you recover given all the work you have put in this year. Still 9 days left ................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Guys and gals, keep an eye on the discussion over on the main D CM thread in the events section as they're discussing cramping so could be beneficial. I have no experience of cramping thankfully so can't help out but a lot of people seem to suffer from it so you'll get good tips over there.

Good point Ososlo, on the subject of hydration in the lead up to the event..ultrapercy mentiones a very important point over there..
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    In the lead up to a marathon people get carried away drinking water and end up flushing out their system of nutrients, dont drink any more than you usually do and take on a little at each water station.

This happened me exactly on my 2nd marathon, the forecast was hot so the two days in the lead up I drank a ton of water..bad move as I ended up exactly as above, flushing out my system of salts and in effect I was doomed before I even began that race due to my actions on the day before.

So, don't go mad on the water the day before. Drink enough to be hydrated but don't do the dog on it. Weather should be cool so it should not be an issue.

Maybe drink an electrolyte drink instead of some water, or use a dioralyte sachet. There is a real danger to being over hydrated and is found to be much of a higher risk than being dehydrated so be sensible about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Injury update: I'm still in with a shout of starting the marathon.

Went to the physio last night and was fearing a stress fracture in my foot. It looks like its tendonitis, which is a much better prognosis. No running until the middle of next week when i'll test it out with 4 miles easy. There's no guarantees i'll make and if the pain when running doesn't improve significantly I wont be starting, but i'm optimistic the rest will sort me out. I'm not too concerned with not running for the moment as I know the hard work is done. Just need to remember what I used to do on Saturdays when I hadn't got a long run to do!

I'll definitely be using the way I've been feeling the last few days, worry about getting toe the start line, to keep going when things get tough during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

carmendub wrote: »

At physical therapist last night, he said one day recovery per mile of running, so I won't do more than the 7-8 miles as per most plans. Next week 2 or 3 slow runs, around 2-3 miles. As our glorious leader said it's all in the tank, don't worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

So girlfriend came home from work with this today. It's 1 evil temptation I didn't need in taper madness.

Anyone running in the stormy weather tonight?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yep, not much. A bit of fun, just not much. The wind has an uncanny ability to always be in my face somehow.

Supposed to be doing 10 miles but paranoid about getting a cold at this point!'

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Nah, went to a planned Physio session and was 'crunched' all back into place after 4 weeks of murderous running, feel 2 inches taller but a little achey too. Dodgy ankle ok too after 3 days rest...phew.

Going to the pub instead for 2-3 pints of Guinness (sleeping tablets for taper madness), and then to bed! First beers in 4 weeks and then off the beer until after the DCM.

10-12k light jog planned for Sunday and maybe an 8k on Wednesday to keep the legs ticking over...a few brisk walks and then the main event!!!
    :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yes, it's fantastic. Getting wet won't give you a cold btw, just jump into the shower as soon as you get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

No. Because normal people don't run around in the rain voluntarily.

People that enjoy such activities really need to seek professional help.

Advertisement