Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    No. Because normal people don't run around in the rain voluntarily.

You can't talk. Sure you will be doing it yourself on Monday week! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    You can't talk. Sure you will be doing it yourself on Monday week! :P

Hey I'll be doing my bit for charity is all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Having a real mixture of emotions

It's hitting me now that we're coming into the last weekend before the big day – and I'm not feeling confident at all
    Every now and then I get a sudden sense of panic.
    Feeling unprepared and 5hittting it! It's not even so-called "Taper madness" - because I ACTUALLY AM under-prepared!

On the other hand, I've raised a lot of money already so far for a very very important cause to me and I'm over the moon with myself - I've raised a lot more than I thought possible - and still going - which in a way, causes me to be 5hitting it even more!

So basically, 5hitting it - and buzzing at the same time! Weird!:eek:

You have done the very best you can while managing injuries and following advice. You really want to do this and keep reminding yourself of that when it gets tough on the day. You faced tough LSR s and you came through. Believe in yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Anyone running in the stormy weather tonight?

Was planning on it but almost had an end put to my marathon on the way home from work! Some dick with a blind spot for cyclists blitzed through a roundabout missing me by inches!! All I was good for when I got home was a takeaway and a beer!

Back to running tomorrow, knee feeling good, really looking forward to it. Quite nervous about marathon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Anyone running in the stormy weather tonight?
    Did 8m in the park, ran the route up chesterfield (yet again),hope it's not as windy on the big day--leaves even hitting me in the eyes at times,but not much tough running left after tonight really:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

hawkwing wrote: »
    Did 8m in the park, ran the route up chesterfield (yet again),hope it's not as windy on the big day--leaves even hitting me in the eyes at times,but not much tough running left after tonight really:)

If it's very windy on the day (which it won't be:)) running in a group will proffer a lot of shelter so it won't be as bad as it was for you today.
    How you feeling about the big day?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Had 4 pints last night (1more than the original quota), thankfully this meant that the local chipper had closed and the 'Doner kebab with cheese and chips' option was not there to tempt me...slept like a log and feel refreshed today!

Back to being good and 'athletic' again til the 27th.........now where is that porridge??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

URL:http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/your-first-marathon-10-ways-to-make-it-matter-1.1961706

Her tips are simple and clear... I really liked the first one, be grateful that you can do this. And the last one, keep smiling! Even if it looks more like a grimace by the end.

Even if I don't shake this chest infection in time or some other injury crops up or whatever, I am really grateful that I have been able to do the training and that I am at a point where I can even consider running a marathon! Still shocks me. So I don't see the 27th as an end goal at all, more as a milestone (kilometre-stone!).

Haven't had the runners on since Sunday, suffering from withdrawal... Going to test my lungs against the gales today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

annapr wrote: »
    URL:http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/your-first-marathon-10-ways-to-make-it-matter-1.1961706

Her tips are simple and clear... I really liked the first one, be grateful that you can do this. And the last one, keep smiling! Even if it looks more like a grimace by the end.

Even if I don't shake this chest infection in time or some other injury crops up or whatever, I am really grateful that I have been able to do the training and that I am at a point where I can even consider running a marathon! Still shocks me. So I don't see the 27th as an end goal at all, more as a milestone (kilometre-stone!).

Haven't had the runners on since Sunday, suffering from withdrawal... Going to test my lungs against the gales today!

Really like this post, that is how I am feeling this morning. Got out for my last 'lsr' of 9 miles and although it was raining and windy I felt really good, actually kinda emotional in a weird way as its the last Saturday lsr day before the BIG DAY!!

The end of the run was a stretch of road where back in January 2012 (the start of my "fitness journey" + 8 stone!) I used to go out in the mornings before work for a walk of 3km, and it nearly used to kill me! Its a really straight stretch and it just felt never ending. Today was flying along feeling great & it just reminding me how far I have come. I also feel so lucky to be in a position to be even considering doing a marathon, and having being able to put in as much training as I have. Now it hasnt all been perfect, and Ive been moaning about this flu or the past 2 weeks, but this morning I must be suffering from some kinda of taper madness maybe, but just feel really really lucky to be able to do this, there are so many out there that cant, I really think we are the lucky ones! Now if anyone asks me around Mile 22 or 23 if I am still feeling lucky they might get a clout across the head, but must remind myself of how I am feeling this morning!!

Now to be uber careful for the next week, plenty of water, healthy food, rest & a crazy amount of list making for the big day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

How is everyone going to approach recovery after the big day? I'm going to take off a week or two off and let the body fully recover

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mary is the reason I'm doing this marathon :-) having done a couple of her classes. Her tip about smiling absolutely works & another one is relax & tell yourself you can do this\your feeling strong & good, they've got me through races & runs I might otherwise have given up on! Just in from my last LSR in the wind & rain, feels very odd that next weekend is the big one! Hope your feeling better anapr & anyone else feeling under the weather.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Plastered Vaseline on the nipples this morning, they still bled. Half tempted to wear tassles next week.

Firedance wrote: »
    Mary is the reason I'm doing this marathon :-) having done a couple of her classes. Her tip about smiling absolutely works & another one is relax & tell yourself you can do this\your feeling strong & good, they've got me through races & runs I might otherwise have given up on! Just in from my last LSR in the wind & rain, feels very odd that next weekend is the big one! Hope your feeling better anapr & anyone else feeling under the weather.

Thanks Firedance, definitely on the mend. Will see how I get on with a little run today. Still sunny and bright in Dublin but no doubt the hurricane will arrive as I leave the house :)

Darren 83 wrote: »
    How is everyone going to approach recovery after the big day? I'm going to take off a week or two off and let the body fully recover

Good point Darren. I'd advise everyone to take 2 weeks off completely. Maybe a bit of swimming or something non impact but no running. Gentle walking alright but let everything settle. You likely won't be able to run anyways for up to a week. :eek:

Mimojo wrote: »

The end of the run was a stretch of road where back in January 2012 (the start of my "fitness journey" + 8 stone!) I used to go out in the mornings before work for a walk of 3km, and it nearly used to kill me! Its a really straight stretch and it just felt never ending. Today was flying along feeling great & it just reminding me how far I have come

!!

That is some achievement! Fair play to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Worst run EVER!
    8 miles and I struggled through every one of them.

I haven't ran since Tuesday due to extra work commitments and I've missed a couple of meals over the last couple of days so I'm sure that hasn't helped. I felt totally sluggish, legs were heavy, breathing was all over the place.

I usually take half water / half lucozade sport to drink on long runs but I was thinking on the day I would stick with what was on the course so I took undiluted lucozade sport today and it made me feel a bit sick. Probably leaving it a bit late to try something new but I'm glad I did. I'll stick with my own drink on the day I think.

This run has scared me a lot! If I feel like this on the 27th I don't know what I'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mimojo wrote: »
    Really like this post, that is how I am feeling this morning. Got out for my last 'lsr' of 9 miles and although it was raining and windy I felt really good, actually kinda emotional in a weird way as its the last Saturday lsr day before the BIG DAY!!

The end of the run was a stretch of road where back in January 2012 (the start of my "fitness journey" + 8 stone!) I used to go out in the mornings before work for a walk of 3km, and it nearly used to kill me! Its a really straight stretch and it just felt never ending. Today was flying along feeling great & it just reminding me how far I have come. I also feel so lucky to be in a position to be even considering doing a marathon, and having being able to put in as much training as I have. Now it hasnt all been perfect, and Ive been moaning about this flu or the past 2 weeks, but this morning I must be suffering from some kinda of taper madness maybe, but just feel really really lucky to be able to do this, there are so many out there that cant, I really think we are the lucky ones! Now if anyone asks me around Mile 22 or 23 if I am still feeling lucky they might get a clout across the head, but must remind myself of how I am feeling this morning!!

Now to be uber careful for the next week, plenty of water, healthy food, rest & a crazy amount of list making for the big day!!

oh wow! That's a fantastic achievement I hope your very proud of yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

gingersnap wrote: »
    Worst run EVER!

I haven't ran since Tuesday due to extra work commitments and I've missed a couple of meals over the last couple of days so I'm sure that hasn't helped. I felt totally sluggish, legs were heavy, breathing was all over the place.

Hi gingersnap, I really don't think you need to worry. All the hard training will not be wiped out by a blip of a few days or one bad run.
    There is a lot going on subconsciously: your body is recovering and resting. It also knows it is facing a big test next week and in many ways any sluggishness or new twinges are your body's responses to this. Think of it like a world class orchestra tuning up :-)

You will be fine, trust in your body but treat it like it deserves and don't skip any more meals *wags finger* :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Worst run EVER!

I usually take half water / half lucozade sport to drink on long runs but I was thinking on the day I would stick with what was on the course so I took undiluted lucozade sport today and it made me feel a bit sick. Probably leaving it a bit late to try something new but I'm glad I did. I'll stick with my own drink on the day I think.

This run has scared me a lot! If I feel like this on the 27th I don't know what I'll do.

Don't worry about crap run. I was doing 30 sec/mile slower than marathon pace today for a few miles and it felt like a dead sprint. Think it's just the taper and overthinking things.

As for the lucozade sport....they have that on the course so why not take a few sips and then take on water at the next station? I don't think they expect you to finish each bottle you are given and it would probably be too much for your digestive system to handle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Thanks Firedance, definitely on the mend. Will see how I get on with a little run today. Still sunny and bright in Dublin but no doubt the hurricane will arrive as I leave the house :)

Yep, just saw Dorothy and her dog Toto going past in their house, 200 feet off the ground...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

xElDeeX wrote: »
    Don't worry about crap run. I was doing 30 sec/mile slower than marathon pace today for a few miles and it felt like a dead sprint. Think it's just the taper and overthinking things.

As for the lucozade sport....they have that on the course so why not take a few sips and then take on water at the next station? I don't think they expect you to finish each bottle you are given and it would probably be too much for your digestive system to handle anyway.

Agree with this, crap runs are part of the process at this stage. I completely struggled through 5 miles last night and struggled to finish.

Today I had a nice 10 mile run that was nowhere near as difficult, go figure.

Anyway the work is done at this stage, you are not going to gain or lose any fitness at this stage so no sense in worrying about it.

Wind was a real issue today, accounting for huge pace differences depending if I was going into or against the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I think the taper madness is getting to me and I'm over analysing too much.

As it's been said here numerous times, I just have to have faith in the plan and that includes the tapering. It just seems with every day that passes doing less mileage, I'm afraid the fitness built up is being lost.

Another week of this! I'll be a nervous wreck by the 27th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Worst run EVER!

Ha! - this is a typical race week run.
    Everyone will have these at some stage - its perfectly normal.

My worst runs for my last marathon were the 2 weeks before hand - only because I had people on here telling me it was normal, I'd have went mad.

Its the body's way of telling you to conserve energy for the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mimojo wrote:

That's REALLY fantastic Mimojo, well done to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I think the taper madness is getting to me and I'm over analysing too much.

As it's been said here numerous times, I just have to have faith in the plan and that includes the tapering. It just seems with every day that passes doing less mileage, I'm afraid the fitness built up is being lost.

Another week of this! I'll be a nervous wreck by the 27th :)

Stop it! You are WELL ABLE for this. Go easy on yourself.

I feel like I'm on a constant either countdown to or count since last days run, 7 and 9 to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Worst run EVER!

Was delighted to read this (not because of your pain) because I too am just in from a 10mile run and it was hell. Not sure what it was but I struggled from about 4miles in and it just didn't let up, felt stiff and achy. Great to read all the reassuring comments though. Good luck on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

beertons wrote: »
    Plastered Vaseline on the nipples this morning, they still bled. Half tempted to wear tassles next week.

Have you tried surgical tape?

Not sure if you saw this already but some good information on the hills gentle slopes you'll encounter on the day.

It's probably been posted already but for anyone who might have missed it, here's a video of the route.

• Advertisement

How are the fundraising efforts going for those of you who decided to earn some money for a charity? Don't be afraid to post up the links to your charity pages if you so wish.

Super inspirational story here. Shout her on if you see her on the day!

Advertisement