Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

beertons wrote: »
    Plastered Vaseline on the nipples this morning, they still bled. Half tempted to wear tassles next week.

I go with a bit of cotton wool held in place by micropore tape (the stuff used to hold on bandages). I've never had any problems. Other people go with plasters, but they are stickier and I don't fancy pulling them off afterwards!

Men, even if you haven't had sore nips up to now, you should do something for them on marathon day. It's a longer race, the weather could be cold, it might rain (which will make your top heavier and chafe more). Don't be that guy with the bloodstained top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    I go with a bit of cotton wool held in place by micropore tape (the stuff used to hold on bandages). I've never had any problems. Other people go with plasters, but they are stickier and I don't fancy pulling them off afterwards!

Men, even if you haven't had sore nips up to now, you should do something for them on marathon day. It's a longer race, the weather could be cold, it might rain (which will make your top heavier and chafe more). Don't be that guy with the bloodstained top!

I find Micropore tape in it's own works fine. Cotton underneath makes it more likely to fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Just got my name printed for the club singlet, a good few off the club running it and twice as many coming up to cheer us on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Wrecked. First dog walk since Tuesday. One mile in 51 minutes. Will not be running today.

TEN DAY FORECAST now available on apps! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Last lsr done. 12 miles. Funny enough it was one of the hardest ones to get out for. Wet and blustery heading out but then the sun came out and off came the gloves. Definitely won't wear compression top on the day, too warm. I'll miss these lsrs. They have given me a great focus on Saturday mornings to get up and do something, leaving me with a sense of achievement for the rest of the weekend. I was out doing an easy run during the week and was lying on my back doing some core work, looking up at the stars in the clear sky. Hard to believe 7/8 months have passed since it was similarly dark. A lot of miles in the legs since then. Generally in good shape now, just a small stress pain under the big toe. It should be fine with some rest. Take it nice and handy now for the rest of the week with about 3 x 3mile runs lined up for the week.
    Would anyone be interested in doing about 3 miles or so around the Phoenix park on Saturday evening? It can be a very easy pace, just a chance to shake out the legs and have a chat. Thinking at the moment that I will rest completely on the Sunday but not sure yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Would anyone be interested in doing about 3 miles or so around the Phoenix park on Saturday evening? It can be a very easy pace, just a chance to shake out the legs and have a chat. Thinking at the moment that I will rest completely on the Sunday but not sure yet.

I'm not a novice, but I'll take you up on that?

Grand we might get a bit of a group together and can arrange a time. I'm getting the train up but should be free from about 3pm.

Grand we might get a bit of a group together and can arrange a time. I'm getting the train up but should be free from about 3pm.

I wouldn't be able to make it to the PP until after 6pm. Sure let me know what's happening, and if it suits well & good. I'm sure you'll get a few together regardless.

The later time suits me fine actually. 6pm so and we will see if we can get a few more takers.
    Edit: I could do both times as I will be looking to pass the time and I don't mind seeing some of the course. I don't mind going for a jog twice. I am not sure if I will be able to stay long after the race so it might be nice to meet a few faces just in case. I will pop in for a drink to McGrattans but won't stay long as I will want to shower and change etc. Not sure if I will make it later as the OH could have other plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What pace are you looking at for saturday. One persons easy is another's all guns blazing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    How are the fundraising efforts going for those of you who decided to earn some money for a charity? Don't be afraid to post up the links to your charity pages if you so wish.

So far €1,000+ for the Irish Sudden infant Death Association on behalf of Jake's Legacy

Delighted :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

How are the fundraising efforts going for those of you who decided to earn some money for a charity? Don't be afraid to post up the links to your charity pages if you so wish.

Super inspirational story here. Shout her on if you see her on the day!
    I'm at about €1700 for the Down Syndrome Centre. With more to add to it I'll likely be over the €2,000 mark before the marathon.

What pace are you looking at for saturday. One persons easy is another's all guns blazing :)

It will be very handy for me anyway, more a chance to meet people, have a chat and ease out the legs. Whatever pace you are comfortable at is fine for me.

It will be very handy for me anyway, more a chance to meet people, have a chat and ease out the legs. Whatever pace you are comfortable at is fine for me.

My easy pace is in the 10:00 / 10:30 direction if that's not too slow for you (but it's akin to a crawl for yaboya to be fair!)

My easy pace is in the 10:00 / 10:30 direction if that's not too slow for you (but it's akin to a crawl for yaboya to be fair!)

I'd be happy with that. Similar to the Berlin Breakfast Run:
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Saturday 27th September (Day 55/56) - 5k Recovery
    3.11 miles @ 10:55 average

Just a very light leg loosener this morning at the breakfast run (aka: the run for the doughnuts). Was joined by Murph_D, WithCheesePlease, belcarra & Roisin for this. Fortunately we all managed to avoid the numerous fallers along the course.

Splits

Mile 1 - 11:26
    Mile 2 - 10:47
    Mile 3 - 10:34
    0.11 - 1:09

Just one day left in the plan now - the big one. To borrow the title of DOCO's log: "This is it" :)

Grand stuff - stick me in for a 6pm slot so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ventured out this afternoon for the first run since last Sunday. Aimed to do 5k to test the legs and the stamina after coughing and spluttering all week. Went out the sea front on a warm, bright, sunny afternoon with a very blustery wind. Thought I might be running into a strong wind on the way back (often the case) but it seemed to be the same in both directions. Felt good and did 6.2k at about 5:50/km avg pace, very easy... but need to slow down to MP. Didn't cough once!

Will try the plan 8 miles tomorrow and if that goes well, hopeful for a full recovery in time.

feeling great since, endorphins are a better tonic than antibiotics!

annapr wrote: »
    Ventured out this afternoon for the first run since last Sunday. Aimed to do 5k to test the legs and the stamina after coughing and spluttering all week. Went out the sea front on a warm, bright, sunny afternoon with a very blustery wind. Thought I might be running into a strong wind on the way back (often the case) but it seemed to be the same in both directions. Felt good and did 6.2k at about 5:50/km avg pace, very easy... but need to slow down to MP. Didn't cough once!

Will try the plan 8 miles tomorrow and if that goes well, hopeful for a full recovery in time.

feeling great since, endorphins are a better tonic than antibiotics!

My run today consisted of 4 x 200 metre strides dragging the puppy around during a 1 mile walk but still it was a run ! Also hoping to be well enough for 8 miles in morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

Darren 83 wrote: »
    So the other half wants me to visit the doctor before the race anyone else do this? or is there any point?

I went today to get a full heart check offered by the health insurance company. ECG, blood pressure, full once over from a heart doctor. The reason I went for it was during the Athlone half about 8 mile in I got a palpitation which knocked me for 6 loss of breath, legs went etc. struggled for next 3 mile. Doctor today give me the all clear anyway. Sometimes the left chamber can go out of rhythm during exercise made worst by loss of electrolytes/dehydration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I'm running for the Irish Cancer Society, I've raised a bit over €200 so far between online and offline but there's a good bit more promised.

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/ciarn_mac_lochlainns_event

This week has been a write-off as far as running, I did an easy 5k last Saturday and intended to do 20k on Sunday but I felt rotten, fluey, and slept most of the day. A hectic week of work didn't give me much chance to recover let alone run. I'd too much on today to get out, but I'm planning to do 10-15k tomorrow and that will be the final long run.

I just have to trust that the training I've already done will carry me through, and be thankful for being sick in July and October instead of August and September :rolleyes: I've four runs done over 30k since the start of September but a concern is that all of them were above 50% of the weekly total. The last weekend in August was a 2:24 half marathon on hills and I did the Athlone 3/4 in 3:49 which was let down by bad pacing on my part. I don't know if my goal time is realistic but I'll stick with the 5 hour pacers as long as I can.

In July when I was at the doc, as a by-the-way asked if I would be OK to run a marathon. She asked "this week?" with some trepidation... I said no, the end of October and she said that would be fine. That's as close as I got to a marathon specific checkup.

Looking at the course video makes it suddenly seem real. I had goosepimples watching it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

OH and 8 month old son have both got the vomiting bug. It's like the sword of Damocles - I know it's going to hit me but don't know when. Hope it's today and not towards the end of the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Last LSR last night - although 10 miles doesn't count as "Long" to me anymore

Went out overdressed. It was so windy - but it was deceptive as it was actually really warm

Long range weather forecast is looking promising for Monday morning;

Dry, Light breeze, 3 m/s from west-southwest, mainly sunny, temps 9 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I am in the 9am wave, at what time should should aim to make your way to the start? I don't really want more than a minute between the gun time and the chip time.

Would 30 minutes be enough?
    Can you really not pass your warm cloth to someone near the start? (I know there is a drop bag facility, but that's probably not an option if you want to be near the start of your wave, and not stand naked too long).

I have read about bring clothes to the start you can discard, but I hate consumerism and waste (think of the 2 euro hat example from Penneys here and who is really paying for it).

It is my first big event, and what I'd really like to do is go there with warm clothes, hand my clothes say 20 minutes be fore the start to my supporting wife, make my way to the start and be under a minute difference between gun and chip time. Is that possible?

Great thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Just coming up on €1000 for Laura Lynn. Delighted with that as I didn't think I'd raise anywhere near that much. So much extra motivation from it too.

Just back from 9 mile sr...I won't call it a lsr as 9 miles doesn't seem long anymore!

So to the big day..anyone else going with the 4:10 pacers?

echancrure wrote: »
    I am in the 9am wave, at what time should should aim to make your way to the start? I don't really want more than a minute between the gun time and the chip time.

Can you really not pass your warm cloth to someone near the start? (I know there is a drop bag facility, but that's probably not an option if you want to be near the start of your wave, and not stand naked too long).

I have read about bring clothes to the start you can discard, but I hate consumerism and waste (think of the 2 euro hat example from Penneys here and who is really paying for it).

It is my first big event, and what I'd really like to do is go there with warm clothes, hand my clothes say 20 minutes be fore the start to my supporting wife, make my way to the start and be under a minute difference between gun and chip time. Is that possible?

Great thread!

I think it's one or the other tbh. I couldn't believe the sight of all the clothes flying off just before the start in 2012. Those at the front will be there from before 20 minutes with clothes on they will dispose of.

Pro Tip guys - don't stand to the very side of the crowd. Clothes thrown from the centre of the crowd will land on you ;)

One thing you could do is have your other half take the clothes off you down on stephens green or similar. I kept a jacket on me for the first mile and handed it over to herself as I passed.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Just back from 9 mile sr...I won't call it a lsr as 9 miles doesn't seem long anymore!

So to the big day..anyone else going with the 4:10 pacers?

Will be a bit behind you hovering between the 4:10 and 4:20 - hopefully if we do end up running together it will be because I am running stronger than anticipated !

Will be a bit behind you hovering between the 4:10 and 4:20 - hopefully if we do end up running together it will be because I am running stronger than anticipated !

I hope it's you speeding up to meet me and not me slowing down to meet you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Extra hour in bed next Sunday! Clock go back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

echancrure wrote: »

Great thread!

What is your target time? Why do you care what the difference between chip and gun time is?

You would probably be looking at an elite start to be within 1 minute.

Advertisement