Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

echancrure wrote: »
    I am in the 9am wave, at what time should should aim to make your way to the start? I don't really want more than a minute between the gun time and the chip time.

You should position yourself in the wave according to your expected finish time. You are aiming for a 3 hour finish, so you should line up near the 3 hour pacers. The very front of the race is for those who expect to finish in front of everyone else.
    The applies to everyone -if you are aiming for 3.55, line up between the 3.50 and 4 pacers, 4.35 line up between the 4.30 and 4.40 pacers, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corrib man

Nice 9 miler done this morning, bit apprehensive going out as ran with a pal who is quicker than me. Anyway, did 8.20 average mile and felt good throughout. Handy does it now but a nice confidence boost ahead of next Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Got my 9 miles out of the way yesterday.. crazy wind out there.. seemed to be running into it no matter what direction I turned!

Anyway 8 miles of it averaging 9:45 and last mile at mp 9.05. All grand.

Out for a birthday last night and my promised 3 pints were overshot.. so hanging today..

But I've been very good for past 2 weeks so one night won't ruin it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ok so I think I now know what mile 22-26.2 will feel like. If anyone wants to try it, hit the seafront in a storm/high winds. It's like a wind turbine to check a jumbo jet engine is working.

Was sick of counting it's been 8 days since my last run and 8 days to go so after a family day out and being repeatedly told I look really worried (the worry head was when I was walking I'd a pain in my muscle above my knee so wondering how am I going to manage 26.2 in 8 days!). Anyway once home I decided I needed to run so just back from 9 LSR, really got the wind direction wrong on the seafront and the last 1.5 miles were really hard going in that gale.

My new run top is a 'feminine, flattering shape' they say but it really needs a bib on it to cover belly after all the c*ap the last week!

Happy legs still work, ye weren't lying about this. Oh and as I was foam rolling I got a desperate cramp in my upper thigh for the first time in my life, ouch! I used to have to leave work early for a 9 mile run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn, I know what you mean about the seafront! (not sure if you mean Clontarf, that's where I go most often).

Got my 8 miles done today (13km)... coughing a little but not too bad, felt pretty good if a bit tired after a late night last night. Out the seafront, around Saint Anne's and sensibly took an inland route back. Paces were all over the shop, what with the gale at my back on the way out, but tried to keep it close to MP the whole way, averaged 6:13/km. I reckon 4:29 MP is about 6:20/km, so close enough.

I didn't feel like I had a lot of energy so I'm hoping that's as much about taper as it is about chest infection and antibiotics (last day on them today). I found some runners world advice that you can run if your ailment is 'above the neck' (i.e., head cold) but not if it's below the neck (i.e., coughing)... and then promptly ignored that. Don't give out to me, Ososlo... Murph already did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

annapr wrote: »
    aquinn, I know what you mean about the seafront! (not sure if you mean Clontarf, that's where I go most often).

Got my 8 miles done today (13km)... coughing a little but not too bad, felt pretty good if a bit tired after a late night last night. Out the seafront, around Saint Anne's and sensibly took an inland route back. Paces were all over the shop, what with the gale at my back on the way out, but tried to keep it close to MP the whole way, averaged 6:13/km. I reckon 4:29 MP is about 6:20/km, so close enough.

I didn't feel like I had a lot of energy so I'm hoping that's as much about taper as it is about chest infection and antibiotics (last day on them today). I found some runners world advice that you can run if your ailment is 'above the neck' (i.e., head cold) but not if it's below the neck (i.e., coughing)... and then promptly ignored that. Don't give out to me, Ososlo... Murph already did!

But what if the cough is caused by nasal drip ? That's my question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Looking forward to the expo now :-) was there last year with a friend that was doing marathon, this year ill be there as participant! Reckon this week is going to drag...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Give out to you about which bit? Running too fast (mp!) for an easy run or running when not 100%? :)

Firedance wrote: »
    Looking forward to the expo now :-) was there last year with a friend that was doing marathon, this year ill be there as participant! Reckon this week is going to drag...

Yeah the Expo rocks. Must try and get over to it myself as a non-nervous non-participant this year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Writing here to say I will be going out for my 9 mile run when I get home. Have no excuse now ;)

• Advertisement

annapr wrote:

Yes, that's exactly where I was. I went up inland via Raheny to get a frw small inclines in and then take the 'easy' flat seafront on the return leg. Got the wind direction completely wrong, **** sailor. It was good to get out and run but was tired in that gale.
    Well done on getting out with a near finished chest infection. Mind yourself though. Don't forget to take natural yoghurt or probiotics when finished antibiotics and finish all of them!

Wish I had thought of that excuse!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Give out to you about which bit? Running too fast (mp!) for an easy run or running when not 100%? :)

Ooops. Although I did read somewhere, one of the gurus on here i think, that you should reduce the miles during taper but not the intensity... Did I imagine that?

So here we are with a week to go. Unreal how quickly that time has gone...

Use this week to look back over your training to remind yourself of everthing you've accomplished and to reassure yourself that you are as ready as you can be. Be confident in your preparation and get to the start line knowing you have sacrificed a lot for this race and are very well prepared.

If you're worried that you haven't done enough training, again, look back through what you've done since the start of the summer and I'm sure there are lots of positives to be to be taken from it too.

Don't compare yourself to other runners. It's counterproductive and will do nothing for your confidence.

If you're realistically very underprepared, then you should go in to the race with a very conservative mindset and goal and instead of running as fast as you can for as long as you can, maybe start out the race with a jog/walk strategy and pick it up later in the race (18/20 miles) if feeling ok. You can come back in the Spring/Summer and give the marathon a proper shot.

If you're injured, it's simple. Don't run. If you're very sick, don't run. If you're just a little bit sick or you wake up with a cold that morning, then readjust your goal a bit but you'll probably be fine.

Everyone should practice their marathon breakfast a few times this week and practice getting up at the same time you will on Monday week and go through the pre-race routine before your runs. Get into a good routine of getting to bed earlier all week if possible.

Wear your DCM outfit on a few of your runs also to ensure it's all fitting fine and comfortable etc. I remember the morning of DCM last year I put my shorts on and went to tie the string at the front. I accidentally pulled the string out and it was too tricky to put back in but luckily I had a back up pair (exactly the same) waiting in the wings. Be prepared for every eventuality.

Easy to say I know but try not to obsess about the weather this week. There'll be a huge amount of talk about it on the main DCM thread but don't get caught up in it. There is NOTHING you can do about it except for readjusting your goal a little if it's particularly bad. If you wake up on Monday and it's very windy and rainy (which it won't be!) then you're not going to cancel doing the race so just take it as it comes and relax... It's in the hands of the weather gods!

Keep yourselves well hydrated but don't overdo it this week. I used to add the odd electrolyte tablet (nuun) to my water the 2 days before the race last year.

Eat like you normally do but maybe increase your carb intake a little from next Friday.
    I'm no expert on the whole storing of glycogen thing (helped by less running during taper and eating more carbs) so no point me me trying to explain it so here are two useful articles about eating next week and especially what you should be concentrating on for the 3 days prior to the marathon:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2014/apr/08/what-to-eat-three-days-london-marathon-recipes-nutrition
    And another : http://www.paulamee.com/paulamee/main/Excercise_Marathon8.htm

Anytime you feel stressed or nervous this week, then try to smile. It just might make you feel a tiny bit more relaxed. Keep posting your concerns/questions/general feelings and don't forget to run!

Stay tuned for Toenail Tuesday :)

aquinn wrote: »
    Yes, that's exactly where I was. I went up inland via Raheny to get a frw small inclines in and then take the 'easy' flat seafront on the return leg. Got the wind direction completely wrong, **** sailor. It was good to get out and run but was tired in that gale.
    Well done on getting out with a near finished chest infection. Mind yourself though. Don't forget to take natural yoghurt or probiotics when finished antibiotics and finish all of them!

Yes Ososlo... I mean aquinn!

That's funny we could have passed each other on that loop somewhere!

Ooops. Although I did read somewhere, one of the gurus on here i think, that you should reduce the miles during taper but not the intensity... Did I imagine that?

Well what kind of a run was it today? Was it just a general aerobic run or a marathon specific paced run? If it was just a general easy run then it should be a lot slower than mp!
    Yes you should reduce the miles and not the intensity during taper but you should only be running with 'intensity' if it's a specific marathon pace session. Maybe it was in your plan as a marathon pace run? Apologies if so!!!

Yeah the Expo rocks. Must try and get over to it myself as a non-nervous non-participant this year!!!

I went around it a couple of years looking in awe at all the people with their official marathon bags... And now I get to have a bag too :)

Well what kind of a run was it today? Was it just a general aerobic run or a marathon specific paced run? If it was just a general easy run then it should be a lot slower than mp!
    Yes you should reduce the miles and not the intensity during taper but you should only be running with 'intensity' if it's a specific marathon pace session. Maybe it was in your plan as a marathon pace run? Apologies if so!!!

No, I'm in the very basic HH1 plan, doesn't specify pace at all. It was really an easy run... My MP feels slow over shorter distances... No doubt it will feel a lot different after 20 miles, but I have to consciously slow myself down to MP. Is that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Grand stuff - stick me in for a 6pm slot so

Just back from a 13k run, felt ok ish not too many cobwebs after resting my dodgy ankle since Tuesday..... On the home straight now.....

Might try and get to the PP on Saturday at 6pm with you guys. My anger management councillor said that it would be good for me to meet new people after my last group of 'friends' mysteriously disappeared in the woods .........where are you guys meeting up, I suggest the woods?

I will be wearing a bright green Brooks running top, black shorts oh will probably bring my white hockeymask and chain saw......can't wait....u guys are the best...
    :-) :-)

No, I'm in the very basic HH1 plan, doesn't specify pace at all. It was really an easy run... My MP feels slow over shorter distances... No doubt it will feel a lot different after 20 miles, but I have to consciously slow myself down to MP. Is that wrong?

it's a bit late in the day to be getting into this now:) You'd really have to go back and read Post 2 of the thread:)

HH1 doesn't specify pace but if you read his explanatory notes, he does say that all runs should be done at a very comfortable conversational pace (you should be easily able to chat during your runs).
    So yes, you should be doing all your runs slower than your predicted marathon pace. But if you're finding all your runs very easy (easily able to chat) then maybe your marathon pace is too conservative.
    Double your half marathon time and add on 20 mins and you should be in or around your marathon pace. Add on about a minute per mile to that pace and that should be the pace of all your runs.
    But as I said, it's a bit late in the day now so just be confident in what you've done and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

smashiner wrote: »
    Just back from a 13k run, felt ok ish not too many cobwebs after resting my dodgy ankle since Tuesday..... On the home straight now.....

Might try and get to the PP on Saturday at 6pm with you guys. My anger management councillor said that it would be good for me to meet new people after my last group of 'friends' mysteriously disappeared in the woods .........where are you guys meeting up, I suggest the woods?

I will be wearing a bright green Brooks running top, black shorts oh will probably bring my white hockeymask and chain saw......can't wait....u guys are the best...
    :-) :-)
    ha ha haaaaa

it's a bit late in the day to be getting into this now:) You'd really have to go back and read Post 2 of the thread:)

HH1 doesn't specify pace but if you read his explanatory notes, he does say that all runs should be done at a very comfortable conversational pace (you should be easily able to chat during your runs).
    So yes, you should be doing all your runs slower than your predicted marathon pace. But if you're finding all your runs very easy (easily able to chat) then maybe your marathon pace is too conservative.
    Double your half marathon time and add on 20 mins and you should be in or around your marathon pace. Add on about a minute per mile to that pace and that should be the pace of all your runs.
    But as I said, it's a bit late in the day now so just be confident in what you've done and you'll be fine.

I know, HM would put me around 4:22... MP is aiming for 4:29, I'm being conservative after all the advice here about first marathons. I'm hoping to go out with the 4:30 pacers and finish ahead of them. All my LSR's have felt very easy pace... I've been easily able to chat, mostly to myself! Distance and time on feet has not felt as easy!

I know, HM would put me around 4:22... MP is aiming for 4:29, I'm being conservative after all the advice here about first marathons. I'm hoping to go out with the 4:30 pacers and finish ahead of them. All my LSR's have felt very easy pace... I've been easily able to chat, mostly to myself! Distance and time on feet has not felt as easy!

So you feel yourself flagging a bit towards the end of the runs? You're relatively new to running I think I remember you saying? Endurance might be a bit of an issue so I think you're being really sensible going out at 4:30 pace and picking up later in the race.
    What's the long term plan after DCM regarding races /distances you want to concentrate on etc? More marathons or shorter stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

STOP TALKING ABOUT NASAL F3CKING DRIP!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Gavlor wrote: »
    STOP TALKING ABOUT NASAL F3CKING DRIP!!!!!!!!!!

lol apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Bit of advice if possible please...

Didn't get to do my 8 mile lsr today - the weekend has been spent having to help look after a new born and an 18 month toddler and traveling up and down to cork. Had been planning on going out this evening but that didn't happen. Managed to get 3 done to keep the legs ticking over.

This was a 3 mile that had been planned for tomorrow. So my question is would it be ok to do my 8 miles tomorrow instead? Was actually looking forward to it so would hate to miss it. Still leaves a week before the big day and the rest of the weekend would be very very easy according to my plan.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Bit of advice if possible please...

Didn't get to do my 8 mile lsr today - the weekend has been spent having to help look after a new born and an 18 month toddler and traveling up and down to cork. Had been planning on going out this evening but that didn't happen. Managed to get 3 done to keep the legs ticking over.

This was a 3 mile that had been planned for tomorrow. So my question is would it be ok to do my 8 miles tomorrow instead? Was actually looking forward to it so would hate to miss it. Still leaves a week before the big day and the rest of the weekend would be very very easy according to my plan.

yes I think that'd be fine. Just looking back at what I did this week last year and I had Rest (mon), 8 (tues), 5 (wed), 5 (thur), Rest (fri), Rest (sat), 2 (sun), Race.
    It goes without saying but keep it easy!

Ososlo wrote:
    yes I think that'd be fine. Just looking back at what I did this week last year and I had Rest (mon), 8 (tues), 5 (wed), 5 (thur), Rest (fri), Rest (sat), 2 (sun), Race. It goes without saying but keep it easy!

I thought this was an easy week!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Lemon cheesecake and ice cream while watching Love/Hate..
    That counts as carb loading right?

Advertisement