Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aquinn wrote: »
    I thought this was an easy week!

99% of marathon plans plan for a sunday marathon. DCM is a monday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

menoscemo wrote: »
    99% of marathon plans plan for a sunday marathon. DCM is a monday ;)
    Even still, my plan has one 3 miler & two 2 milers, seems waaay short of ososlo's - what does everyone else have planned this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ososlo wrote: »
    So you feel yourself flagging a bit towards the end of the runs? You're relatively new to running I think I remember you saying? Endurance might be a bit of an issue so I think you're being really sensible going out at 4:30 pace and picking up later in the race.
    What's the long term plan after DCM regarding races /distances you want to concentrate on etc? More marathons or shorter stuff?

Endurance is definitely the challenge. I have been running since about 2012 but this is the first consistent training I've done and I have really enjoyed it.

The LSR's have been fine but wrecked after some of them, don't think that's unusual from reading comments here. But only 1 20 miler in hh1 and that was tough. Didn't help that I climbed Howth head in the middle of it by mistake of course.

After DCM, I don't know... I would like to do more HM's for sure, and build up the endurance/pace via a more intermediate plan. Just keep on running I hope! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firedance wrote: »
    Even still, my plan has one 3 miler & two 2 milers, seems waaay short of ososlo's - what does everyone else have planned this week?

I guess it's all relative to what you've been doing all along.
    The Boards plan has 2 (optional), 2, 5, 3, 3 (optional), 2 (optional), 2
    My mileage would have been a lot higher last year every week than the 2 plans followed here.

Laura's 8 mile run she queried about was a weekend run she missed. I don't think it'll do her any harm to do it as she's not tired or sore or anything and it'll be good for her confidence.
    I don't think everyone should go out and run 8 miles this week. Stick to your plan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I guess it's all relative to what you've been doing all along.
    The Boards plan has 2 (optional), 2, 5, 3, 3 (optional), 2 (optional), 2
    My mileage would have been a lot higher last year every week than the 2 plans followed here.

Laura's 8 mile run she queried about was a weekend run she missed. I don't think it'll do her any harm to do it as she's not tired or sore or anything and it'll be good for her confidence.
    I don't think everyone should go out and run 8 miles this week. Stick to your plan!!!

I did 13k tonight, planning rest tomorrow, 9k slow ish on Tuesday, rest Wednesday, 6k on Thursday and a couple of brisk walks of around 3-4k thrown in after that. Going to do what suits me a bit, due to the odd niggly injury concern, want to be niggle free on the 27th.

Do what you feel is right for you, keep ticking over but don't over cook ourselves...... Best of luck...err on the side of caution if in doubt :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Went out for my 8 mile LSR and accidentally did 9.65 mile instead. Included every drag I could find around the place so it wasn't exactly easy. Nearly had a marathon ending fall going around some dimwit student dragging her suitcase across my path. Feeling quietly confident for the big day now, so can't complain.

It's been a long 18 weeks!

Now when the hell am I supposed to cut my toenails?! They're like talons here waiting! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Went out for my 8 mile LSR and accidentally did 9.65 mile instead. Included every drag I could find around the place so it wasn't exactly easy. Nearly had a marathon ending fall going around some dimwit student dragging her suitcase across my path. Feeling quietly confident for the big day now, so can't complain.

It's been a long 18 weeks!

Now when the hell am I supposed to cut my toenails?! They're like talons here waiting! :D

Now or tomorrow. A week out is the sweet spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Did 10.5k at LSR pace with a tough hill in the middle. It felt good to be running again even though the weather was typically Irish.

Planned for the week: Recovery run or exercise bike, yoga, a swim, a long walk with my better half.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Hi Everyone,

Had my first marathon morning dream last night, in which I managed to sleep it out and miss my wave start. I did make the wave after me, only to realise I had forgotten my watch! Of course I had to go home to get the watch, and headed back only to realise I had forgotten my gels! I then had to go back for the gels, and then proceeded to miss the start of the final wave. (I know this is a lot of activity for the 10 minutes between waves!)

Only consolation was it was unseasonably warm and not optimum PB conditions, and I should be fresher for Monday having not run last night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Mad to think the last of the "long" runs is behind me (in my case it was 5m Friday, 6m Saturday).

Various worries and nerves really starting to set in now... woke up this morning with a twinge in my left ankle (which I'm pretty sure I've never had before) and a tiny hint of a sore throat... so I can only assume I've got the black lung and am not long for this world.

Also struggling with my PMP... feel confident I can hit my target (sub-4hr), the problem is trying to resist the temptation for something faster, which I know deep down could end disastrously!

I think I just need to start getting my gear together so I can feel a bit more in control of things... speaking of which, any recommendations for getting a good night's sleep next Sunday? I've a feeling that's going to be an issue for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

get a good night's sleep on saturday, Sunday night is a lost cause :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

RayCun wrote: »
    get a good night's sleep on saturday, Sunday night is a lost cause :)

Great, now I'm going to be worried about Saturday night, so I'll not sleep then either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Bit of advice if possible please...

Didn't get to do my 8 mile lsr today - the weekend has been spent having to help look after a new born and an 18 month toddler and traveling up and down to cork. Had been planning on going out this evening but that didn't happen. Managed to get 3 done to keep the legs ticking over.

This was a 3 mile that had been planned for tomorrow. So my question is would it be ok to do my 8 miles tomorrow instead? Was actually looking forward to it so would hate to miss it. Still leaves a week before the big day and the rest of the weekend would be very very easy according to my plan.
    yes I think that'd be fine. Just looking back at what I did this week last year and I had Rest (mon), 8 (tues), 5 (wed), 5 (thur), Rest (fri), Rest (sat), 2 (sun), Race.
    It goes without saying but keep it easy!

Did that just now - refereed a couple of mini rugby games yesterday morning, went out after for 8m and it just didn't feel right so knocked it on the head. Agonised over it all day yesterday but got dressed straight into running gear this morning and got a great 8miles in - its a lovely day, if a little windy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Starting to feel the nerves build in a big way already. Really in need of my run later on.

Got through the weekend without any booze. Got a lot of "you are losing way too much weight " comments.

Also wtf is it with this country that you can't go out and not drink without people thinking you are completely crazy. "Go on, it is only a glass of wine it won't do you any harm etc" "You'll have a bit anyway". "I'll just pour you some and don't drink it if you don't want it"

God help people in this country who have an addiction in this area it must be so hard to function socially. In the end I had to lie that I was driving, seems to be the only way people will leave you alone. /rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

This time next week folks.. :-) :-)

Feeling completely shattered today. Was a long weekend since last Wednesday in the Convention Centre (pretty interesting conference though!) but agenda was 8 til 8 and didnt finish until yesterday lunchtime. Looking forward to getting some running in!

My plan this week:

Today: 8 miles
    Tuesday: 2 miles
    Wednesday: 4 miles
    Thurdsay: 2 miles & Physio
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: 2 miles

Obviously all paces are easy. Also, going to head into work a little bit later all week to get an extra 30 mins in bed each morning. (head in for 8 instead of 7.30) and try to get to bed before 10.30 every night. Nice that we have the extra hour on Saturday night too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

adrian522 wrote: »

Also wtf is it with this country that you can't go out and not drink without people thinking you are completely crazy. "Go on, it is only a glass of wine it won't do you any harm etc" "You'll have a bit anyway". "I'll just pour you some and don't drink it if you don't want it"

God help people in this country who have an addiction in this area it must be so hard to function socially. In the end I had to lie that I was driving, seems to be the only way people will leave you alone. /rant.

I hate it. i actually don't drink that much anyway but people make such a big deal of it. #headwrecker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm already petrified. Didn't sleep a wink and even had a herbal sleep tea and drops before bed. OMFG. Petrified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'm already petrified. Didn't sleep a wink and even had a herbal sleep tea and drops before bed. OMFG. Petrified.

I'm with you, how on earth am I going to eat anything this week the nerves have kicked in big time!

What exactly are you so fearful of? Completing the distance or doing it in a specific time? Or something else? Don't answer if you don't want. Just curious!
    You are so well prepared and will be much better prepared than a lot of people around you on the day. Deep breaths and smile! Be confident because you have an awful lot to be confident about! Believe me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Firedance wrote: »
    I'm with you, how on earth am I going to eat anything this week the nerves have kicked in big time!

I think being nervous is very natural. Do not fear the day though. Look forward to it and enjoy being nervous about it. It's going to be a great adventure no matter what happens. Put your energy into getting ready and think about what you are going to enjoy once you are done and then embrace the nerves and the journey with a smile. You will be fine!! Have fun!!

• Advertisement

Have people got their support crews organised to cheer them on at specific spots on the course? I found it great last year to have something to look forward to knowing they were ahead waiting for me to give me a little mental boost. I gave my supporters little flags to wave (:o) to ensure I could see them properly on the course. It worked out really well actually in the more crowded spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Relax lads. Remember that you are in control. You have been in control since you made the decision to commit to training and running this marathon.

The idea of running the marathon is daunting now but the training was daunting when you first faced it. You already conquered that hurdle to get to this point. You have already shown yourself the character you possess in getting here. Believe in yourself.:)

What exactly are you so fearful of? Completing the distance or doing it in a specific time? Or something else? Don't answer if you don't want. Just curious!
    You are so well prepared and will be much better prepared than a lot of people around you on the day. Deep breaths and smile! Be confident because you have an awful lot to be confident about! Believe me!!!

All of it, it seems. Biggest fear was always not sleeping in the run up to it and that's already started.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have people got their support crews organised to cheer them on at specific spots on the course? I found it great last year to have something to look forward to knowing they were ahead waiting for me to give me a little mental boost. I gave my supporters little flags to wave (:o) to ensure I could see them properly on the course. It worked out really well actually in the more crowded spots.

Ha, I should be going past where I live around 11:30, brother has committed to nothing more than probably being out of bed by then and "maybe" going to the pub after.

Relax lads. Remember that you are in control. You have been in control since you made the decision to commit to training and running this marathon.

The idea of running the marathon is daunting now but the training was daunting when you first faced it. You already conquered that hurdle to get to this point. You have already shown yourself the character you possess in getting here. Believe in yourself.:)

Thanks, feeling physically sick now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

My family want to come up for the race, I initially though it was a good idea, but I am that nervous now I dont know if it is! But I do think it would give me a great boost to see them, especially late on in the race to give me a bit of a "turbo" boost!! The only thing is they are really not very familiar with Dublin (nor am I for that matter), how easy is it to get around on the day, and what would be the best public transport method?

Flag idea is a great one. My family have promised to be there but no idea where. I was thinking of making sure they have a small bottle of water with Dialoryite. They'd hate the flag idea, must suggest that.

Really good points. I bet most of you never thought you could do a 20 mile training run in a million years at the start of the summer and you nearly all did that as it was the natural progression of your long runs. This is just a little bit longer again and a little bit faster! Think of it as just another Long Run!
    And of course it is completely natural to be feeling a little nervous.

Luas should be good, if they go to the Stephen's Green for the start bit, then Luas out to Milltown (Mile 20) for that bit and then back into town for the finish.

• Advertisement

Flag idea is a great one. My family have promised to be there but no idea where. I was thinking of making sure they have a small bottle of water with Dialoryite. They'd hate the flag idea, must suggest that.

ha ha mine hated the idea too but they dealt with it! I could only get my hands on some Dublin GAA flags in a Carroll's tourist shop. I hate GAA and have no particular allegiance to Dublin but it did the trick!!! I could see them way ahead in the distance.

Advertisement