Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Ososlo wrote: »
    Have people got their support crews organised to cheer them on at specific spots on the course? I found it great last year to have something to look forward to knowing they were ahead waiting for me to give me a little mental boost. I gave my supporters little flags to wave (:o) to ensure I could see them properly on the course. It worked out really well actually in the more crowded spots.

A group from the club will be at mile 25 and around the course, unfortunately my oh and daughter wont be there, too much for a 5 year old staying in the one spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

ha ha mine hated the idea too but they dealt with it! I could only get my hands on some Dublin GAA flags in a Carroll's tourist shop. I hate GAA and have no particular allegiance to Dublin but it did the trick!!! I could see them way ahead in the distance.

Yep the Dubs flag is a great idea, said this to the folks over the weekend ......just had a vision of trying to find my mam and dad at the Walkinstown Roundabout if we all cotton on to this :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

smashiner wrote: »
    Yep the Dubs flag is a great idea, said this to the folks over the weekend ......just had a vision of trying to find my mam and dad at the Walkinstown Roundabout if we all cotton on to this :eek::eek::eek:

LOL:D Good point!!!

Ye could always make yer own flags either with a stick and a piece of old material but make sure the material bit is waterproof as if it's raining it mightn't 'wave' very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ye could always make yer own flags either with a stick and a piece of old material but make sure the material bit is waterproof as if it's raining it mightn't 'wave' very well!

RAIN! What are you on about? Of course it isn't going to rain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    Luas should be good, if they go to the Stephen's Green for the start bit, then Luas out to Milltown (Mile 20) for that bit and then back into town for the finish.

If you wanted to see a bit more this could work also (check to see there are no service disruptions first obviously).

Start at Hueston and see the runners going into the Phoenix Park. Luas up to Rialto or Suir Road and see runners head over Dolphins Barn at the halfway point and then back into Abbey Street, walk up to Stephens Green and head out to Milltown for mile 20, and back into town for the finish.

Not sure how realistic hitting all those points would be though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

ah here, we've to think about making flags etc AND you mention rain???!!!!! I'm going home to lie down.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

Small point but may be important. The clocks go back next Sunday. Don't forget :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Someone posted this earlier in the thread. I thought it would be good to see what we have to look forward to. Amazing reviews of the race from overseas visitors.

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=568141027

I notice there is a breakfast run on Sunday morning from Croke Park around fairview. Is anyone planning on doing it?

Could be good to put faces to usernames and get in that last 3 mile run at a leisurly pace.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/breakfast-run/

Firedance wrote: »
    ah here, we've to think about making flags etc AND you mention rain???!!!!! I'm going home to lie down.....

sorry:o Of course it won't be raining. That was a typo! And if it does it'll be a nice kind refreshing welcome little drizzle!

Making flags will take your mind off your nerves;) Best flag gets a prize!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I notice there is a breakfast run on Sunday morning from Croke Park around fairview. Is anyone planning on doing it?

Could be good to put faces to usernames and get in that last 3 mile run at a leisurly pace.

Don't think that breakfast run is open to ROI entrants. Just Internationals afaik.

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Don't think that breakfast run is open to ROI entrants. Just Internationals afaik.

Really? That's a bit ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

don't think they stop anyone running it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm curing at work for handing me a Domino's pizza an hour ago
    And cursing at myself for eating it!

Weather-wise, I don't mind rain. I'd even like a bit of light rain!

Just no gale force winds and I'm happy!

Long range forecast is pretty decent but they're full of 5hite!

Someone posted this earlier in the thread. I thought it would be good to see what we have to look forward to. Amazing reviews of the race from overseas visitors.

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=568141027

Ok two great links. Nearly in tears reading some from the first so will revert to that one later.
    Really like the breakfast run idea. Anyone going to see if they'll allow us?
    Wonder if all the overseas visitors are aware of the clock change.

RayCun wrote: »
    don't think they stop anyone running it :)

Probably not. I just thought I read it was only open to overseas entrants.

I see from the website they've changed the route this year. It starts/finishes at Croke Park and does a loop around Fairview Park as some sort of commemoration of the Battle of Clontarf (100 year anniversary).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Brenner65 wrote: »
    Small point but may be important. The clocks go back next Sunday. Don't forget :)

They go back on Saturday night. Sunday morning.

Probably not. I just thought I read it was only open to overseas entrants.

I see from the website they've changed the route this year. It starts/finishes at Croke Park and does a loop around Fairview Park as some sort of commemoration of the Battle of Clontarf (100 year anniversary).

1000 years :D. Yes saw you get a little break in Fairview park. Perfect.

aquinn wrote: »
    1000 years :D. Yes saw you get a little break in Fairview park. Perfect.

Eh, yeah. Only 900 years out :p

Note to self: Preview post before submitting :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's cool about the breakfast run. A nice enough route that's so local to me that it would be a shame not to gatecrash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Have people got their support crews organised to cheer them on at specific spots on the course? I found it great last year to have something to look forward to knowing they were ahead waiting for me to give me a little mental boost. I gave my supporters little flags to wave (:o) to ensure I could see them properly on the course. It worked out really well actually in the more crowded spots.

Good idea about the flags.
    Hubby and daughters are planning to see me at Walkinstown and then come into the finish.

How hard is it to meet up afterwards? I'm guessing town will be mental and I'm planning for worse case scenario (phone dead, no signal...) Not knowing what time I'll finish at makes it hard to organise when to meet.

Nerves are kicking in too. It's going to be a long week.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

gingersnap wrote: »
    Hubby and daughters are planning to see me at Walkinstown and then come into the finish.

How hard is it to meet up afterwards? I'm guessing town will be mental and I'm planning for worse case scenario (phone dead, no signal...) Not knowing what time I'll finish at makes it hard to organise when to meet.

Don't forget, your family can use the live tracker to see when you finish. So I'm just making arrangements to meet at a particular point (a decent distance from the finish line) at my finish time plus 20 mins. My Gf is gonna meet me around 20 mile marker then head into town and then check on her phone for when I finish and then knows (roughly) when to expect me at the meeting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

there's a tracker your hubby can see when you've finished if he has a smartphone, this is the link
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINM-2014#b=na&v=ptrack

Get yourselves to Monaghan on Thursday folks!

I just arranged to meet everyone in McGrattan's pub near finish last year about half an hour after my expected finish time. Worked out fine. Your crew can have themselves a few drinks in your honour in anticipation of arrival!
    Otherwise pick any spot where they can get shelter so pub/café etc is good rather than outside a building etc. It does take a while from when you actually cross the finish line to get your bag, recuperate, tell yourself how wonderful you are etc etc etc... so it could be 30 mins after you stop running when you actually see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

I lurked this thread last year and doing the same this year. Popping my head up in the final week to soak up some atmosphere :). DCM 2014 will be marathon #4 for me so will share some thoughts of my experiences to date in the hope that some might get some value.

1 - Few years back my OH ran her first marathon. I supported from Leeson St. and when the herds came bombing passed I thought “Jeebus, they’re fast!” In hindsight they got caught up in the adrenaline of the start – it’s a Mob Mentality. It’s also natural if not controlled. 4 miles later, the adrenaline is burned off and you adjust to the task at hand perhaps wishing you’d taken it easier at the start. Don’t be that person. You’ve had 16+- weeks of discipline to get you to Monday. What’s another 10/15 mins of patience going to cost you? For me, I now embrace the feeling of people passing me at the start only to pick them off 17 miles later.

2 – If you can drag yourself away from Love/Hate next Sunday night, watch “Spirit of the marathon” (available on Youtube). An excellent documentary on the marathon covering the experiences from the novice to the elite. Watch it and you’ll come away feeling happy you have an entry ticket to this event. For me it replaced nerves with excitement.

3 – Soak up the crowds, if it’s your first you will be in awe of the support you get. A great demonstration of our human spirit. However be wary of hearing “only one mile to go” when it’s really 3. At that stage your brain is mush so you’ll believe anything and it’s a head wrecker when you realise it’s not true.

A marathon is a horizontal Mount Everest and this time next week you will be celebrating your achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

I just arranged to meet everyone in McGrattan's pub near finish last year about half an hour after my expected finish time. Worked out fine. Your crew can have themselves a few drinks in your honour in anticipation of arrival!
    Otherwise pick any spot where they can get shelter so pub/café etc is good rather than outside a building etc. It does take a while from when you actually cross the finish line to get your bag, recuperate, tell yourself how wonderful you are etc etc etc... so it could be 30 mins after you stop running when you actually see them.

I have to say I'd love to meet up in McGratten's to put a few faces to names but my kids would probably not appreciate it as much as me :)

I'll definitely go with the tracker/meet up at a designated place 30 mins after the finish.
    Thanks for the tip guys (and girls)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Please note that all seats in McGrattan's are for people who are walking like John Wayne, never want to taste an energy gel again and have a blood blister or blister on either foot the side of your fist.*

*This isn't a rule but it should be:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

chinguetti wrote: »
    Please note that all seats in McGrattan's are for people who are walking like John Wayne, never want to taste an energy gel again and have a blood blister or blister on either foot the side of your fist.*

*This isn't a rule but it should be:D

Seats are reserved for pacers and their lap dancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Finding myself avoiding boards the last few days as everytime I come on here I feel sick with nerves / excitement. I cant wait to just get running on the day. The build up and anxious feelings I get in the few days before it are enough to send me over the edge! Plus sleep the night before, getting up on time, getting into town on time, remembering everything! Oh God my nerves. I'll be happy when we just get going.

I did exactly what I wasn't supposed to do on Fri night. Went out with work and drank too much. Hadnt drank in a month. I was sick on sat morn. Thankfully I got a lie on and slept it off. Plus it was my birthday at the weekend so everywhere I turned there was cake and chocolate! I'm drinking loads of water and plan on getting as many early nights as possible this week.

Did 8 miles yesterday morning in the wind. Next long run will be the marathon!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Gavlor wrote: »
    Seats are reserved for pacers and their lap dancers.

Ooh male lap dancers?! I'll be there :)

Advertisement