Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ooh male lap dancers?! I'll be there :)

You'll have to wait till AMK is finished with him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

The below was posted in the original DCM thread. AlsoRan had trained for and targeted a time of 4:30 and ended up finishing in 4:52. I thought the post was very interesting and gave a good idea of what can go wrong on the day and also how to adapt to it.
    AlsoRan wrote: »
    It was my first marathon and I had been following a training programme, the race series build up went fine so I wasn't expecting any major problems, although I was a bit nervous. On the day, both my calves cramped up, from mile ten or so onwards, after I think the Chapelizod section and the hills around there, I had covered 2 20 milers in training and had never got cramps before nor have I since!

I had been targeting 4 hours 30 and was bang on time up to that point, but just couldn't keep running and as it was in both legs, I couldn't run it off. I kept walking as fast as I could and kept trying jogging for a few yards on a regular basis, but it really only eased out on the downhill section a few miles from the end and I clawed a little bit of time back then. It was disheartening, as I started with the 4 hours 30 pacers, then tried to keep up with the 4 hours 40 and then watched the 4 hours 50 go by.

You never really know how it's going to go on the day, but at least I finished and over the winter I worked more on my core in different exercise classes, so I'm hoping that'll stand to me. I think I'm now fitter than last year and I'm faster this year than last in races, which is why I'm trying for 4 hours 20 this time. Reading Tunguska's course breakdown, I think I probably pushed myself too much on the hills, when I would have been better off easing back there and targeting faster sections later on. I'm hoping the 4 hour 20 pacers will give me a guide but if I need to drop back for a while I will. Best of luck Kop On.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Belated happy birthday joleigh! - think someone else mentioned a birthday recently too ��

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Firedance wrote: »
    Belated happy birthday joleigh! - think someone else mentioned a birthday recently too ��

Thanks. I'm now the same age as the Dublin Marathon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

aquinn wrote: »
    Thanks, feeling physically sick now though.

I dont mean to dismiss how anybody feels but you gotta realise that how you percieve the marathon is a choice. You can choose to get wound up and get yourself so nervous you feel sick or you can choose to be calm about it and not get yourself into a state.
    I only did my first marathon a few years ago and there was definitley a pont I can remember when those around me were choosing to get nervous and worked up. It was at this point I made a decision to not let that happen to me. And thats all it was, I decided I would look at the marathon as something to look forward to and be excited about, something I would whip, not the other way around(and my training was poor, I was badly prepared). There were actually people who, it seemed were trying to get me to buy into the nerves by telling me I must be nervous or 26 miles is a really long way or whatever. But I told them to F-off and not to worry about what I was doing......
    Anyway my point is, its a choice and its all about how you perceive the race to be. You can look at it as some big monster thats gonna eat you alive or you can see it as just another race whos ass you're gonna kick. I know that sounds like bravura but its kind of the way you have to be. Having a bit of cockiness and swagger about you, not being meak and worrying to the point where youre a nervous wreck. But dont waste energy on nervous tension, its just not worth worrying about. And the most amazing thing of all is, for a race that length it absolutely flies by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

adrian522 wrote: »
    Someone posted this earlier in the thread. I thought it would be good to see what we have to look forward to. Amazing reviews of the race from overseas visitors.

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=568141027

I notice there is a breakfast run on Sunday morning from Croke Park around fairview. Is anyone planning on doing it?

Could be good to put faces to usernames and get in that last 3 mile run at a leisurly pace.

http://dublinmarathon.ie/breakfast-run/

Oh cool, it's in the 'hood.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Don't think that breakfast run is open to ROI entrants. Just Internationals afaik.

I'm from Donegal so that'll work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great post Tunguska,

You really are fishing for an oscar at the end of year awards :D

there's a tracker your hubby can see when you've finished if he has a smartphone, this is the link
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINM-2014#b=na&v=ptrack

It wasn't hard to meet up last couple of years. All the runners come out the same place, so it's a bit mobbed but also very emotional :) last few years it was at the SE corner of merrion sq, just opposite natural history museum. Exit Spot might be different this year with the finish changing. Also, it's very close to McGrattan's! :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

AMK is even more A this week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great post Tunguska,

You really are fishing for an oscar at the end of year awards :D

Ha ha. I won't win though.......politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

tunguska wrote: »
    I dont mean to dismiss how anybody feels but you gotta realise that how you percieve the marathon is a choice. You can choose to get wound up and get yourself so nervous you feel sick or you can choose to be calm about it and not get yourself into a state.
    I only did my first marathon a few years ago and there was definitley a pont I can remember when those around me were choosing to get nervous and worked up. It was at this point I made a decision to not let that happen to me. And thats all it was, I decided I would look at the marathon as something to look forward to and be excited about, something I would whip, not the other way around(and my training was poor, I was badly prepared). There were actually people who, it seemed were trying to get me to buy into the nerves by telling me I must be nervous or 26 miles is a really long way or whatever. But I told them to F-off and not to worry about what I was doing......
    Anyway my point is, its a choice and its all about how you perceive the race to be. You can look at it as some big monster thats gonna eat you alive or you can see it as just another race whos ass you're gonna kick. I know that sounds like bravura but its kind of the way you have to be. Having a bit of cockiness and swagger about you, not being meak and worrying to the point where youre a nervous wreck. But dont waste energy on nervous tension, its just not worth worrying about. And the most amazing thing of all is, for a race that length it absolutely flies by.

Couldn't agree more - DCM is a great experience - get out there & enjoy every minute of it. Remember reading advice before my first one to 'run within yourself' & to enjoy it (thanks Digger2d2). Followed this advice & loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

I just want to say a big thank you to Ososlo and everyone else who has taken the time to post on this thread with there advice and encouragement to us novices.I know for a fact i would not be standing on the start line if i had not come across this thread.I have followed all the training program and have 3 20+ mile runs done.I hope everyone enjoys there day out on monday and gets what there looking for from the marathon.Ososlo i will try and keep the smile on my face when it starts to get rough.Someone else said remember just how lucky we are to be standing on a start line for a marathon and this is one 53 year old who agrees.All the hard work is done as Ososlo says trust in your training.One last job to do go and enjoy the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Has nobody mentioned what day it is yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Murph_D wrote: »
    Has nobody mentioned what day it is yet?

First thing I did this morning when I got up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

So it's finally arrived - Toenail Tuesday! Today is the optimum day to cut those toenails so they're the perfect length for the big day - not too long and not too short.
    I think Toenail Tuesday was the creation of the Raycun, the Genius Mentor for the Novices in 2011 and is by now a legendary annual event in the Novices Marathon Thread.

So if you cut the toenails a bit too short today then you still have plenty of time to let them grow a bit for Monday. If you don't cut them enough then you have some time to sort it out over the next few days.
    So get cutting folks! And report back:D

clickhere wrote: »
    I just want to say a big thank you to Ososlo and everyone else who has taken the time to post on this thread with there advice and encouragement to us novices.I know for a fact i would not be standing on the start line if i had not come across this thread.I have followed all the training program and have 3 20+ mile runs done.I hope everyone enjoys there day out on monday and gets what there looking for from the marathon.Ososlo i will try and keep the smile on my face when it starts to get rough.Someone else said remember just how lucky we are to be standing on a start line for a marathon and this is one 53 year old who agrees.All the hard work is done as Ososlo says trust in your training.One last job to do go and enjoy the day.

Super post. Go get what you deserve on the 27th. Can't wait to read your race report!
    Enjoy rest of taper:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »

Do you want pics?? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm sure I nicked it from somewhere else.
    Still a genius though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

So it's finally arrived - Toenail Tuesday! Today is the optimum day to cut those toenails so they're the perfect length for the big day - not too long and not too short.
    I think Toenail Tuesday was the creation of the Raycun, the Genius Mentor for the Novices in 2011 and is by now a legendary annual event in the Novices Marathon Thread.

So if you cut the toenails a bit too short today then you still have plenty of time to let them grow a bit for Monday. If you don't cut them enough then you have some time to sort it out over the next few days.

Do we put them in the frying pan and flip them?

I might be getting confused with some other Tuesday!

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Do we put them in the frying pan and flip them?

I might be getting confused with some other Tuesday!

Ha ha.
    How you feeling about things this week Laois_Man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Do you want pics?? :pac:

NOOOOOOOOOOO we do not want pics :eek: :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ha ha.
    How you feeling about things this week Laois_Man?

I'm feeling OK I think, thanks for asking. I'm pretty nervous about the first 3 or 4 miles and the last 5 or 6 miles but I think I should be OK in between as long as the pace is right. My approach over the last 2 or 3 months has gradually gone from going all gung-ho for sub 4 hours, to revising it to sub 4:15, then back to sub 4:30 and now to not really worrying too much about the finishing time and just taking it as it comes on the day.

Got my last sports massage yesterday evening as I have a slight bit of nerve pain down the right leg but I think it should pass.
    Gonna do 3 slow 5Ks this week

A real weird feeling of nervous excitement. Kind reminds me of the build up to my wedding day in 2008 - except the finishers medal at the marathon won't be a ball and chain around my neck for the next 40 years like what I got that day! :p

a-hem....missus Laois_man....if you're reading this.....sorry luv! :D

I'm feeling OK I think, thanks for asking. I'm pretty nervous about the first 3 or 4 miles and the last 5 or 6 miles but I think I should be OK in between as long as the pace is right. My approach over the last 2 or 3 months has gradually gone from going all gung-ho for sub 4 hours, to revising it to sub 4:15, then back to sub 4:30 and now to not really worrying too much about the finishing time and just taking it as it comes on the day.

Got my last sports massage yesterday evening as I have a slight bit of nerve pain down the right leg but I think it should pass.
    Gonna do 3 slow 5Ks this week

A real weird feeling of nervous excitement. Kind reminds me of the build up to my wedding day in 2008 - except the finishers medal at the marathon won't be a ball and chain around my neck for the next 40 years like what I got that day! :p

a-hem....missus Laois_man....if you're reading this.....sorry luv! :D

lol.. poor Mrs. Laois_Man has a lot to put up with I'd say!!!!!!!!!

Great approach with the no specific target/ 4:30ish pace. Obviously if training had gone perfectly for you you'd be capable of a much faster time but you gotta be very conservative when you take everything into account over the past months.

NOOOOOOOOOOO we do not want pics :eek: :D:D

I can hear the sound of clippers clicking all over Dublin... Wait, is that sound in my head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

There is a time prediction competition being held in the office for the 3 of us running the marathon. Very interesting to see what people's perception is of your fitness/the marathon.

Currently my "predicted" times range from 2:50:05 to 03:57:15, of course it does sort of prove the wisdom of crowds (I hope) as my goal time is almost halfway between these two guesses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I'm feeling OK I think

Best of luck Laois_Man you deserve this marathon !

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Please don't start too quickly. I think it's worth mentioning this again. So so important not to get carried away with the deluded and ill-prepared. You have trained hard and most likely know your capability now based on your training and a half marathon performance. That gives you your target average pace for the day. Stick to it from the very start. In fact for the first couple of KM I would prefer to be under by a few seconds. (Don't panic if you are faster but as soon as you notice then make a deliberate effort to slow down to get back to target average pace).

You heard this before - the race starts at 20 miles. Well it does and miles 21 through 25 are probably the hardest but because you trained as hard as you have, you will battle through this section and hopefully you will even enjoy the last 2K en-route to your victory. However, if, at the start, you took off like a mad eejit, you are far more likely to really suffer at this later stage. You are far more likely to miss your time and possibly even get injured. Ignore all those that appear to know better at the start - they do not - or they are running a faster race than you. Either way they are no good to you.

So stick to your race pace by your watch or the official pacers. And I know this will be hard. You are fired up. You are coiled. You are ready for this. It's fun. It's easy. But just think - "When I get to 20 miles I need this bit I'm holding back now and it's going to power me home."

As has also been said, for a lot of you that do show this restraint at the start, you will be rewarded with the experience of overtaking the mad eejits (and some of the unfortunate). Bask in the glorious sensation of picking off the eejits and spare a thought for the unlucky but smile broadly as you move yourself up the ranks!!

Good luck to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Since ice9 has covered the start here's one for the finish.

Look up and smile as you cross the line.

Don't have your finish line photo be you with your head down turning off your watch / looking at the time or similar. Cross that line proudly looking like you just conquered the marathon distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Since ice9 has covered the start here's one for the finish.

Look up and smile as you cross the line.

Don't have your finish line photo be you with your head down turning off your watch / looking at the time or similar. Cross that line proudly looking like you just conquered the marathon distance.

Don't we have to pay €60 or so for finishers photos? I think my favourite driving hand signal might be more appropriate. :D

Advertisement