Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

What is best way to get to rds from heuston station? Luas to connolly and then a Dart to...?

If you don't mind bussing it, take a 145 from Heuston, get off at Donnybrook Church/garage and walk up Anglesea Road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Anyone wanna meet up for a lsr on monday morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

menoscemo wrote: »
    The 145 bus starts from Heuston Station and drops you about 500m from the RDS (on the N11).

I wouldn't trust the 145 if the aftermath of the Beer Mile is anything to go by. The other routes are far more regular (especially at weekends!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Meno might give me a piggy back if I get stuck. I don't want to be tiring my legs by walking.
    Is Fitzwilliam Square far from abbey st?
    Hold on I better google it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A solid 15 mins anyway I'd say. Maybe a little more.

• Advertisement

Meno might give me a piggy back if I get stuck. I don't want to be tiring my legs by walking.
    Is Fitzwilliam Square far from abbey st?
    Hold on I better google it.

It's definitely more than the 10 minute walk that some on here are making it out to be (unless you're Rob Heffernan)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Check .irishrail.ie/news for October-bank-holiday-weekend-service-arrangements. Can't post links. Trains run from Northside to Pearse. Pearse to RDS, final 2 miles LSR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

NOW I'm excited.
    I haven't slept in two days.
    I can't run tonight due to bruising from last nights deep tissue sports massage.
    I have only worn the t-shirt once but am being positive that it won't lacerate me I'll have so much bodyglide on me.

Woo hoo!
    http://i.imgur.com/DyihN46.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

menoscemo wrote: »
    The 145 bus starts from Heuston Station and drops you about 500m from the RDS (on the N11).
    + 1, the 46a doesn't go to rds

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    + 1, the 46a doesn't go to rds

Apologies.
    It does go to Donnybrook though. That's only a ten minute walk (far closer than Abbey Street :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

caught them by mile 15, still too fast.

I couldn't get past the 3.30 who were doing 8 min/mile. MP for me was like 7:15 so I had to do something or I would have lost nearly 5 or 6 minutes by the time the race opened up in the pheonix park and I would have never got that back.

trying to run 7:10 through a wall of people running 8 min pace is impossible.

(Not giving out to you - what's the point? more talking to the novices)

It is a really bad idea to run much faster than planned race pace to catch up on some marker. Phoenix park was only 4 miles in on the old route, so even if you were stuck behind the 3.30 pacers all that time (which is very unlikely) you'd have been less than 5 minutes behind with more than 20 miles to close the gap.
    Don't let adrenaline do your thinking for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just back from a long weekend in Spain, it was great to round the training off in warm weather. On the flight on the way over it hit me how much mileage I have done this year when the in flight route display said it was 1,850 KM's from Dublin to Malaga. I have done something like 2,200 KM this year, or Dublin to North Africa...:)

Anyway here are the 3 runs I got done over there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/617295831

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/617295809

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/617295777

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dub13 wrote: »
    Just back from a long weekend in Spain, it was great to round the training off in warm weather. On the flight on the way over it hit me how much mileage I have done this year when the in flight route display said it was 1,850 KM's from Dublin to Malaga. I have done something like 2,200 KM this year, or Dublin to North Africa...:)

Anyway here are the 3 runs I got done over there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/617295831

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/617295809

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/617295777
    Great. Manage to stay off the booze at the wedding?

adrian522 wrote: »
    So when is the best/quietest time to hit the expo or does it matter?

I went on Saturday afternoon about 3. It was busy but I didn't have to queue for anything and really enjoyed it. It was mad around the pacers' stand alright but it was still easy get my pace bands and do anything I wanted to do without any stress whatsoever.
    My favourite part of the whole DCM experience after the actual race itself was the Expo. LOVED IT. Just didn't have enough time to really appreciate it.
    Go for a few hours if you can. Plenty of space/seating around to relax so you don't have to be on your feet all the time. Soak up every second of it. It's the business.

aquinn wrote: »
    NOW I'm excited.
    I haven't slept in two days.
    I can't run tonight due to bruising from last nights deep tissue sports massage.
    I have only worn the t-shirt once but am being positive that it won't lacerate me I'll have so much bodyglide on me.

Woo hoo!
    http://i.imgur.com/DyihN46.jpg

Great to hear a much more positive attitude today:)
    I hope you sleep tonight. I always find that after 2 nights of no sleep my body just collapses on the third night. Head to bed a bit earlier if possible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great. Manage to stay off the booze at the wedding?

Not completely but I did not go mad, no hangovers or anything. I was getting loads of water on.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not completely but I did not go mad, no hangovers or anything. I was getting loads of water on.

good on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

LSR now = Lemsip,Solphadine and Rubex........the dreaded Man Flu has struck and I am sweating like Gary Barlows accountant!!
    OH and the 2 kids have it too and lets just say, they won't need any make up with their Halloween Zombie costumes..:-)

Taking lemsip, antibiotics, Rubex and whatever else in in the medicine press that rattles and looks like a miracle cure. Probably better I have this thing earlier in the week so that I can shake it......fingers crossed, still gonna drag myself around the course on the 27th, even if I have to go a tad slower than planned!!

BTW go on to YouTube and check out 'Declan Moffit Marathon', a Tommy Tiernan sketch, certainly lifted my spirits.....so funny.

Anyone doing the Boards Plan, enjoy the few mp miles tomorrow:) Last ones before the real thing:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Fecking rest days drive me mad, just want to go running :(

Had a sports massage today, got a green light, no major issues but a few things to work on for after the race.

Hopefully do the following the rest of the week:

W: 5 with 3 @ M-Pace
    Th: 4 Miles
    Fr: 4 Miles
    Sa: Rest(again)
    Su: 3 Miles. Maybe head up to this if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Just dropped over to say that if anyones planning on doing 5 hours, pop over to myself, Paul H and Sadiebob(5 hr pacers) to say hi.
    If youre not sure who's who, I'm the good looking one.:) Great fun promised, maybe even a song,but if you wanna hear the punchline, youll have to be around at 22..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

What is best way to get to rds from heuston station? Luas to connolly and then a Dart to...?

I suggest the 145 bus from the side of Heuston to Adeleide Rd., then walk. It's not too far.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Dublin-Marathon-2013-Diversions/

How does that sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Reesy wrote: »
    I suggest the 145 bus from the side of Heuston to Adeleide Rd., then walk. It's not too far.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Dublin-Marathon-2013-Diversions/

How does that sound?

Those diversions are only for the race day morning, so on saturday/sunday the 145 goes a lot closer to the RDS than Adelaide Rd.
    Also I wouldn't be relying on getting that bus on race morning, the first one doesn't depart Heuston until 9am, you might be a bit late ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Reesy wrote: »

How does that sound?

I am not from Dublin, so public transport in the city is a total mystery to me, but what's wrong with DART from Connolly to Sandymount ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

echancrure wrote: »
    I am not from Dublin, so public transport in the city is a total mystery to me, but what's wrong with DART from Connolly to Sandymount ?

Darts are closed this weekend between DunLaoughaire and City centre...
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/october-bank-holiday-weekend-service-arrangements

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

echancrure wrote: »

The trains aren't running unfortunately.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/october-bank-holiday-weekend-service-arrangements

If you not familiar with the city ask the bus driver you wont be the first person to ask and for the most part they're very friendly and happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hi everyone,

Life has been busy this week and posts are flying up here. But I've been lurking and catching up whenever I can. Good to see so many others are feeling the same as me. I've very excited but also very nervous: of the distance - finding an extra 6 miles, the pace, phantom injuries, any previous tightness flaring up, I added cramp to my list of worries earlier this week :rolleyes: But excited too! Also taking reassurance from my training and compared to where I was 4 months ago. Thanks for all the great advice lately also.

My last proper recap....last week:

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - it wasn't good news for the previously mentioned cat, she headed off to pastures new, dragged myself out for 4 miles easy. Helped clear my head and a good distraction
    Wednesday - 4 miles easy
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - 3 miles easy
    Saturday - rest. If you can call helping with two kids under 19 months "rest". For anyone doing this training with small kids - I salute you :eek:
    Sunday - 3 miles easy
    Monday - 8 miles easy (had swapped it with the 3 miles the previous day). I couldn't handle the pressure so I did the toenails on Monday. A nice even trim with no jagged ends. I know we love talking about toenails so the more detail the better yeah?

So my plan for the week. Today is rest, then I was thinking 3 tomorrow, Thursday & Friday rest, Saturday 2 miles and Sunday rest. A final PT session on the Thursday too. My plan only has 2 runs left so this is how I was going to structure it. Sound ok? I know some people do an easy run the day before to loosen the legs but I think I prefer having a total rest day. Anyone else like that?

Question: I think I've decided to go with the 4h50m pacers but wanted to get some feedback on that. Dublin HM time of 2h13m. Two 20 mile LRS's done. The last in 3h47 which had 4 PMP at the end. The first in 3h54m with no PMP. Would that sound like a reasonable aim?

Sorry for the long post tonight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Is anyone else really hungry this week?
    I seem to be always hungry no matter what I have eaten.and it's only been this week it hasn't really happened during my training plan apart from after a really long lsr.
    Is it nerves?(I'm not really that nervous though)Is it part of the taper process or am I just a greedy pig and I can't stop eating!

• Advertisement

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Life has been busy this week and posts are flying up here. But I've been lurking and catching up whenever I can. Good to see so many others are feeling the same as me. I've very excited but also very nervous: of the distance - finding an extra 6 miles, the pace, phantom injuries, any previous tightness flaring up, I added cramp to my list of worries earlier this week :rolleyes: But excited too! Also taking reassurance from my training and compared to where I was 4 months ago. Thanks for all the great advice lately also.

My last proper recap....last week:

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - it wasn't good news for the previously mentioned cat, she headed off to pastures new, dragged myself out for 4 miles easy. Helped clear my head and a good distraction
    Wednesday - 4 miles easy
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - 3 miles easy
    Saturday - rest. If you can call helping with two kids under 19 months "rest". For anyone doing this training with small kids - I salute you :eek:
    Sunday - 3 miles easy
    Monday - 8 miles easy (had swapped it with the 3 miles the previous day). I couldn't handle the pressure so I did the toenails on Monday. A nice even trim with no jagged ends. I know we love talking about toenails so the more detail the better yeah?

So my plan for the week. Today is rest, then I was thinking 3 tomorrow, Thursday & Friday rest, Saturday 2 miles and Sunday rest. A final PT session on the Thursday too. My plan only has 2 runs left so this is how I was going to structure it. Sound ok? I know some people do an easy run the day before to loosen the legs but I think I prefer having a total rest day. Anyone else like that?

Question: I think I've decided to go with the 4h50m pacers but wanted to get some feedback on that. Dublin HM time of 2h13m. Two 20 mile LRS's done. The last in 3h47 which had 4 PMP at the end. The first in 3h54m with no PMP. Would that sound like a reasonable aim?

Sorry for the long post tonight!

Yes to your plan between now and the big day and yes to your 4:50 target. Although from reading above, that 5 hour pace group sounds like an awful lot of fun so pity you'll miss out on the shenanigans there! You're well set up Laura and I'm really looking forward to hearing about how well you're gonna do on the day.

Advertisement