Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yes to your plan between now and the big day and yes to your 4:50 target. Although from reading above, that 5 hour pace group sounds like an awful lot of fun so pity you'll miss out on the shenanigans there! You're well set up Laura and I'm really looking forward to hearing about how well you're gonna do on the day.

Thanks O. I can't believe it's nearly here, the last few months have flown by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Thanks O. I can't believe it's nearly here, the last few months have flown by.

I know!!! Crazy how quickly it's flown!
    What's the running plan after your DCM recovery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

I cut my toenails and I'm struck down with deadly man flu. Nothing to do with the recovery run in the rain, working 14 hours, up all night white-eyed awake, and then the bin man dropped next doors bin from the lorry at half 5 this morning. Was looking forward to the 3 mile at marathon pace tomorrow, but might knock it on the head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I know!!! Crazy how quickly it's flown!
    What's the running plan after your DCM recovery?

Keep ticking over and keep a decent base going over winter hopefully. Think I'll look into joining a club and work on getting my times down, especially those over shorter distances. Really intrigued by all the different types of training I've seen going on around different logs so definitely want to broaden my horizon a bit and add in some different things. I imagine these are fairly standard goals for most novices at this stage!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Had my first marathon related nightmare last night, I got up late and ended up having to run from Heuston to the start line, then when I got there I was wearing about 10 layers but I hadnt time to take them off so had to run in them!! I was making travel arrangements last night so think it was still in my head. I then had a dream that my wedding (planned for next year) was a total disaster & I was very late for that too! So all in all a crappy nights sleep!!

I have been thinking a lot about my pace this week, had kinda settled on the 4hr40 pacers. Reading the above from Laura I am half thinking should I go 4hr50 instead? I really think I have taper in-saneness at this stage, I am second guessing everything!!! My HM time was 2:09 (pace 9:49), my 20 mile lsr was 3:40 (11:01 pace) and 21.2 mile lsr was 4:02 (11.25 pace). My previous 18.5 mile lsr was 3:17 (10:42)

I guess I am just wondering if I can sustain a pace for a full 26.2 miles. But then lsr are ment to be 60-90 seconds slower pace than race pace, which would make sense based on HM pace. Im really sorry to be asking this again as I know a few weeks ago I asked all this stuff before when originally deciding on my pace! I think I just need Monday to get here already so I can stop thinking and start actually running!!!

In more positive non-insane news, just in from lovely 4.5 miles at 9.3 pace and it was lovely, legs are feeling nice & fresh and cold is flu/cold is 99% gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

After my disastrous run on Saturday, I did 3 miles on Sunday and 3 on Monday. Both felt good so I'm putting Saturday down as a bad day.

Plan is 2 miles today, 3 on Friday and then a final 2 on Sunday. Can't believe we are so close to the big day now. I am going from excitement one minute to sheer panic the next!

My goal time on the sheet is 4:59:59 but it is very much a stretch goal and I'm not entirely convinced it is doable. I'm toying with the idea of going with the 5 hour pacers, just to hear the punchline at 22! I'm concerned about keeping a constant pace though, especially during the drag through the park. I might start out with them and see how it goes.

I'm happy to report the toenails were cut without any issues, one less thing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Casey78 wrote: »
    Is anyone else really hungry this week?
    I seem to be always hungry no matter what I have eaten.and it's only been this week it hasn't really happened during my training plan apart from after a really long lsr.
    Is it nerves?(I'm not really that nervous though)Is it part of the taper process or am I just a greedy pig and I can't stop eating!

I'm like this too, filling up on bread and pasta and yet I'm hungry again an hour or so later!

I cut my toenails and I'm struck down with deadly man flu. Nothing to do with the recovery run in the rain, working 14 hours, up all night white-eyed awake, and then the bin man dropped next doors bin from the lorry at half 5 this morning. Was looking forward to the 3 mile at marathon pace tomorrow, but might knock it on the head now.

Yeah drop 'em. Not a lot to be gained from doing them especially if you're not feeling great. Much better idea to use the time to get fully better than forcing a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Probably not the first, (and defo not the last) this is gonna be asked......what time should we aim to be arriving at the race on Monday? I'll be joining wave 1 near 03:30 pacers who start at 9am. How long should I leave to do bag drop/find pen etc...? I only live 2.6km from start line so am tempted to cycle/roll and lock my bike in town..Removes all uncertainty about commute time. Assume this isn't a crazy idea?

Mimojo wrote: »
    Had my first marathon related nightmare last night, I got up late and ended up having to run from Heuston to the start line, then when I got there I was wearing about 10 layers but I hadnt time to take them off so had to run in them!! I was making travel arrangements last night so think it was still in my head. I then had a dream that my wedding (planned for next year) was a total disaster & I was very late for that too! So all in all a crappy nights sleep!!

I have been thinking a lot about my pace this week, had kinda settled on the 4hr40 pacers. Reading the above from Laura I am half thinking should I go 4hr50 instead? I really think I have taper in-saneness at this stage, I am second guessing everything!!! My HM time was 2:09 (pace 9:49), my 20 mile lsr was 3:40 (11:01 pace) and 21.2 mile lsr was 4:02 (11.25 pace). My previous 18.5 mile lsr was 3:17 (10:42)

I guess I am just wondering if I can sustain a pace for a full 26.2 miles. But then lsr are ment to be 60-90 seconds slower pace than race pace, which would make sense based on HM pace. Im really sorry to be asking this again as I know a few weeks ago I asked all this stuff before when originally deciding on my pace! I think I just need Monday to get here already so I can stop thinking and start actually running!!!

In more positive non-insane news, just in from lovely 4.5 miles at 9.3 pace and it was lovely, legs are feeling nice & fresh and cold is flu/cold is 99% one!

I think laura will come in below the 4:50 target if she pushes on a bit later in the race. She wants to follow a pacer group so 4:50 seems like thecorrect group ffor her. I think you'd manage 4:40 pace if you want to follow pacers also. 4:50 might be a little conservative for you. If it's worrying you a bit you could go out between both groups but seriously I think you'd be fine at 4:40 but be prepared to adjust your pace early in the race if it's feeling too challenging but I really don't think it will.

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    Probably not the first, (and defo not the last) this is gonna be asked......what time should we aim to be arriving at the race on Monday? I'll be joining wave 1 near 03:30 pacers who start at 9am. How long should I leave to do bag drop/find pen etc...? I only live 2.6km from start line so am tempted to cycle/roll and lock my bike in town..Removes all uncertainty about commute time. Assume this isn't a crazy idea?
    I'd aim to be there no later than 8:15.
    I'm not sure you'll be good for cycling home so be prepared to roll the bike!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Any suggestions for somewhere to park within some do-able walking distance to start line..

Any suggestions for somewhere to park within some do-able walking distance to start line..

Where you coming in from?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,#
    Just want to say congratulations to everyone for getting this far. A little less than a year ago, I was here trying to battle the urge to run as the taper madness ate away at me :) A few injuries meant I had to give up training for my second DCM about 2 months ago and I'm just getting back running this week.

Almost there, rest well, eat well - one of the best days of your life is just a few days away :) Get chatting to people in you pacer group - it was the best thing I did it last year as I ran most of it with some lovely people and it was great around mile 23-24 to see some of the same faces all so close to the end.

I went out with 4 30 pacers but dropped back around mile 18-19. If this happends, don't worry a bit :D Trust me, you won't be worrying about it at the finish.

Well done again all!

Where you coming in from?

Terenure not very far.. But bring the GF and her bike so she can get to a few locations around the course for support!

Duno if everyone has already seem this, friends & family can leave a message for you & it will come up @ Mile 22 :-)

https://apps.facebook.com/1479342535668642/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

3 first time marathoners on Ray D'Arcy now

I'd aim to be there no later than 8:15.
    I'm not sure you'll be good for cycling home so be prepared to roll the bike!!!!

Haha....that's fine. My office is around the corner from start line so can just leave it there until sometime in December when i can cycle again!

Haha....that's fine. My office is around the corner from start line so can just leave it there until sometime in December when i can cycle again!

Ha ha!!! Good thinking!!!

Terenure not very far.. But bring the GF and her bike so she can get to a few locations around the course for support!

Sorry can't help you with a Southside approach :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Mount St, The Canal, Burlington Rd, Herbert Pk, Haddington Rd, Mespil Rd, Mespil Place, Wilton Place, Hatch St, Adelaide Rd or any roads off the above - there is loads of parking around there you should get sorted.

Mespil Rd, Mespil Place or Adeliade Rd probably your best bet for a getaway.

Mount St, The Canal, Burlington Rd, Herbert Pk, Haddington Rd, Mespil Rd, Mespil Place, Wilton Place, Hatch St, Adelaide Rd or any roads off the above - there is loads of parking around there you should get sorted.

Was gonna suggest Leeson Park too. Between Ranelagh and Leeson St, long road with lots of parking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Right there's no real running going on, so let's concentrate on McGrattan's for a bit. What time are we meeting, would 3pm-ish give everyone time to call in.

Will the mighty Ososlo be there?!

Was gonna suggest Leeson Park too. Between Ranelagh and Leeson St, long road with lots of parking!

Ye, perfect & very likely to get a parking place undisturbed by marathon restrictions.

Sorry can't help you with a Southside approach :(

Suppose ill let you off this time!!

Great stuff!!

So that was my last concern.. The few small runs left tonight, tomorrow and Sat/Sun cant be done quick enough.. Dying to get on the course..

Sure ill probably win the f**kin thing!

Anyone doing the Boards Plan, enjoy the few mp miles tomorrow:) Last ones before the real thing:)

That was a super run, actually ended up doing 1/4/1 as I got lost in my own little world I was enjoying it so much. I also noticed at the end that it was only the 2nd time Ive trained in the rain, 2014 marathoners have had it good weather wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Right there's no real running going on, so let's concentrate on McGrattan's for a bit. What time are we meeting, would 3pm-ish give everyone time to call in.

Will the mighty Ososlo be there?!

3pm will suit me if I get to meet Ososlo (you will be around won't you?!) but won't be hanging around for too long after that. I like your priorities MaggotBrain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great to hear a much more positive attitude today:)
    I hope you sleep tonight. I always find that after 2 nights of no sleep my body just collapses on the third night. Head to bed a bit earlier if possible.

Yes, bath, bed early and drugs all finally worked. Now need this to continue for the week. Am flying now. All positive. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Tuesday - it wasn't good news for the previously mentioned cat, she headed off to pastures new, dragged myself out for 4 miles easy. Helped clear my head and a good distraction

I'm sorry Laura about the cat.

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    3pm will suit me if I get to meet Ososlo (you will be around won't you?!) but won't be hanging around for too long after that. I like your priorities MaggotBrain!

3pm is good for me too, Ive been alcohol free for some time now so am relishing the thought of the pub! Ososlo would be great to put a face to the name if you are about :-)

Advertisement