Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mimojo wrote: »
    3pm is good for me too, Ive been alcohol free for some time now so am relishing the thought of the pub! Ososlo would be great to put a face to the name if you are about :-)

Absolutely! Can't wait for a drink and to meet all.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

HM time was 2:08 so double +20 minutes = 4:36. Original plan was to go with 4:50 pacers, now thinking maybe to go with 4:40 pacers. Presuming first few miles will be a little slow because of crowds. In the HM first 2 miles were 11 min miles, rest averaged at 9:40
    Any opinions ?

Re. taper week and constant hunger, it's more like tapeworm week, what the hell is going on !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Just a quick post to say best of luck to you all.

Have still been following this thread daily since my forced retirement last month.

Very jealous! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

MLC_biker wrote: »
    HM time was 2:08 so double +20 minutes = 4:36. Original plan was to go with 4:50 pacers, now thinking maybe to go with 4:40 pacers. Presuming first few miles will be a little slow because of crowds. In the HM first 2 miles were 11 min miles, rest averaged at 9:40
    Any opinions ?

Re. taper week and constant hunger, it's more like tapeworm week, what the hell is going on !!

I'm the same constantly hungry all this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    Absolutely! Can't wait for a drink and to meet all.

i saw something in the main DCM thread about boardsies usually being in the pool table area in McGrattans so maybe we could say as close as possible to that area? 3pm sounds good too fingers crossed I'm done by then!!!

Not feeling great today, dizzy & tired & hope to god its not the start of a cold.

re the rest of the weeks training was with my physio on Monday and she said she had been to a conference earlier in the year where someone who's involved in Santry stadium (possibly Gerry someone?) talked about the importance of rest before race, I had planned 2 miles for Sunday, she says not to because I will need those 2 miles on Monday, apparently resting up to 3 days before a big event is becoming the done thing. She's a runner too, interesting to read/hear all the different schools of thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Any suggestions for somewhere to park within some do-able walking distance to start line..

There's free parking in Dublin on Monday according to this http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin/how-use-pay-and-display

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firedance wrote: »
    i saw something in the main DCM thread about boardsies usually being in the pool table area in McGrattans so maybe we could say as close as possible to that area? 3pm sounds good too fingers crossed I'm done by then!!!

Not feeling great today, dizzy & tired & hope to god its not the start of a cold.

re the rest of the weeks training was with my physio on Monday and she said she had been to a conference earlier in the year where someone who's involved in Santry stadium (possibly Gerry someone?) talked about the importance of rest before race, I had planned 2 miles for Sunday, she says not to because I will need those 2 miles on Monday, apparently resting up to 3 days before a big event is becoming the done thing. She's a runner too, interesting to read/hear all the different schools of thought!

Yeah you'll hear many many different schools of thought! None of them necessarily the right or wrong thing to do. You just have to do what you feel is best. I always like to do (and did the day before DCM) 2 really really slow miles, just like walking really, just to test my body that everything is working ok! More a confidence thing than anything else! And just to wear my outfit one more time to ensure I feel really happy with everything.
    You'll just have to do whatever you feel more confident about doing!

3 at the pool table sounds like a perfect way for everyone to meet up. Anyone shy will just have to go for it and ask anyone they see 'are you from Boards?'
    sure what's the worst that can happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Ososlo wrote: »
    I went on Saturday afternoon about 3. It was busy but I didn't have to queue for anything and really enjoyed it. It was mad around the pacers' stand alright but it was still easy get my pace bands and do anything I wanted to do without any stress whatsoever.
    My favourite part of the whole DCM experience after the actual race itself was the Expo. LOVED IT. Just didn't have enough time to really appreciate it.
    Go for a few hours if you can. Plenty of space/seating around to relax so you don't have to be on your feet all the time. Soak up every second of it. It's the business.
    Expo website for this year-- http://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/index.php/race-merchandise/

Looking for any your perspective here folks,

Been training away for the DCM (my first in 33 years), tapering nicely with a 15 miler ten days ago, and all was going well till a week ago after a gentle 5 mile run when I started feeling knackered, weary to the bones. Lack of sleep may have been a contributor. Been going to bed early since & have only run once since (4 miles, slow, on Monday just to keep the legs in tune).

Sitting in the office at my sedentary job feeling like I want to go to bed. Will do so early every night from here to Monday & no exercise that I don't have to do - am eating well & staying away from alcohol.

Any ideas?

MLC_biker wrote: »
    Any opinions ?

Yes I think you should go with 4:40 pacers and shoot on for home passing them at maybe 20 miles if you've a good bit left in the tank.

No, I don't think you'll lose much time in the first few miles. Maybe the first 1/2 mile but things move along pretty swiftly once you cross the line.

• Advertisement

Reesy wrote: »
    Looking for any ideas here folks,

Been training away for the DCM (my first in 33 years), tapering nicely with a 15 miler ten days ago, and all was going well till a week ago after a gentle 5 mile run when I started feeling knackered, weary to the bones. Lack of sleep may have been a contributor. Been going to bed early since & have only run once since (4 miles, slow, on Monday just to keep the legs in tune).

Sitting in the office at my sedentary job feeling like I want to go to bed. Will do so early every night from here to Monday & no exercise that I don't have to do - am eating well & staying away from alcohol.

Any other tips?
    It could be just an effect of tapering. It mightn't do any harm to pop to the doctor. Do you think you could be deficient in something like iron? Maybe you have a slight bug or something. Very hard to know.
    All you can do really is to rest yourself as much as possible and go to doc if you think it might put your mind at rest and make sure you're eating plenty of good food. Hydrate well but not too much.
    Maybe be prepared to adjust your target a bit on the day and just run according to how you're feeling. No point flogging yourself if you just don't have the energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

3 at the pool table sounds like a perfect way for everyone to meet up. Anyone shy will just have to go for it and ask anyone they see 'are you from Boards?'
    sure what's the worst that can happen?

But we are all internet recluses!! How could we just go up to someone like that....

Ososlo, I think you should wear the brightest jumper/t-shirt you own so we can all identify you to bow at your feet (figuratively, there will obviously be no bending on Monday afternoon)...;-)

crisco10 wrote: »
    But we are all internet recluses!! How could we just go up to someone like that....

Ososlo, I think you should wear the brightest jumper/t-shirt you own so we can all identify you to bow at your feet (figuratively, there will obviously be no bending on Monday afternoon)...;-)

ha ha ha
    If I'm there (should be) I'll be the girl who obviously hasn't run 26.2 miles;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's a picture thread with photos of some of us.
    Post your own photos up there and your fellow novices might spot you in the pub

RayCun wrote: »
    There's a picture thread with photos of some of us.
    Post your own photos up there and your fellow novices might spot you in the pub

jaysus that's a few years ago now! 2009:eek: Are they all still alive:confused:

jaysus that's a few years ago now! 2009:eek: Are they all still alive:confused:

:pac:
    restarted again in 2012, and again earlier this year

:pac:
    restarted again in 2012, and again earlier this year

ah I know.. I've visited that thread a few times in the past. It's how I recognised yourself getting your sub 30 at Raheny 5 a couple of years back;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Casey78 wrote: »
    Is anyone else really hungry this week?
    I seem to be always hungry no matter what I have eaten.and it's only been this week it hasn't really happened during my training plan apart from after a really long lsr.
    Is it nerves?(I'm not really that nervous though)Is it part of the taper process or am I just a greedy pig and I can't stop eating!

I've had this for the last 2 months! Eat a savage dinner, which TV for half an hour, starving! Smaller portions more often really helped.

It could be just an effect of tapering. It mightn't do any harm to pop to the doctor. Do you think you could be deficient in something like iron? Maybe you have a slight bug or something. Very hard to know.
    All you can do really is to rest yourself as much as possible and go to doc if you think it might put your mind at rest and make sure you're eating plenty of good food. Hydrate well but not too much.
    Maybe be prepared to adjust your target a bit on the day and just run according to how you're feeling. No point flogging yourself if you just don't have the energy.

Thanks Ososlo. Although I do eat well, I wondered about a deficiency in something - I might chuck some multivitamins / iron yokeys into me, maybe, to see if it picks me up. Don't think there's much point seeing my GP tbh. As for the target, I think you're right, if I feel like this on Monday I'll be aiming to just get round. Deffo will listen to my body on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

By 3pm I'd say it might be pretty jammed around the pool-table area. If so there is a nice open covered area out the back (smoking area). It has loads of tables and is usually empty enough.
    Anyway I hope to be there a bit earlier so i'll hopefully nab a spot near the pool table, a few of you will recognise me so don't be afraid to ask me to pass on messages :pac:

• Advertisement

Reesy wrote: »
    Thanks Ososlo. Although I do eat well, I wondered about a deficiency in something - I might chuck some multivitamins / iron yokeys into me, maybe, to see if it picks me up. Don't think there's much point seeing my GP tbh. As for the target, I think you're right, if I feel like this on Monday I'll be aiming to just get round. Deffo will listen to my body on Monday.

Yeah you're probably right. Even if you got a blood test, the results wouldn't be back for a few days and by then DCM will be over....
    Listen to your body is the best advice really. Nerves/excitement/tapering can all do strange things to a body and mind so hopefully it's just something to do with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

By 3pm I'd say the vast majority of novices will be finished, that's why I mentioned the time, I'm going straight from the finish line to a restaurant then McGrattan's. Hopefully before 2. Pool table sounds like a perfect place for a lie down after that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

speaking of recognising, are all the pacers boardsies? will ye all be at the pacers stand at the expo?

Firedance wrote: »
    speaking of recognising, are all the pacers boardsies? will ye all be at the pacers stand at the expo?

The stand will be staffed by pacers all weekend long. They all have boards accounts, but not all regular posters - I think there's at least one familiar name on at every time slot

provisional pacers draft for DM 2014. (might have changed since posted by Kurt Godel a few weeks back)

Boards Nickname/Pace Band
    Abhainn 3:00
    Marty R 3:00
    Frank Q 3:00

TFBubendorfer 3:10
    jfh 3:10
    WoundedKnee 3:10

NoGutsNoGlory 3:20
    john guiry 3:20
    brianokelly 3:20

Robert W 3:30
    jackyback 3:30
    Caprica 3:30

Menoscemo 3:40
    Gavlor 3:40
    AuldManKing 3:40

rolandoe0823 3:50
    ankers99 3:50
    Oliver K 3:50

Marthastew 4:00
    Ferris B 4:00
    Gijima 4:00

ger664 4:10
    FBOT01 4:10
    mathso 4:10

Oisin11178 4:20
    David G 4:20
    runningcoach 4:20

charlie933 4:30
    ultraman1 4:30
    izoard 4:30

Aimman 4:40
    Moneystealer1 4:40
    EPT 4:40

Breffni Blue 4:50
    Phelim7 4:50
    dwayneshintzy 4:50

jonny99 5:00
    Sadiebob 5:00
    Murph_D 5:00

has changed a little since then. All provisional until the morning of the race

Marty Rea 3:00

Trevor P 3:10

chrisgrayson 3:20

Beepbeep67 3:30

Barry C 4:00

charlie933 4:20

Oisin11178 4:30

Garman 4:40

Paul H 5:00

Yeah you're probably right. Even if you got a blood test, the results wouldn't be back for a few days and by then DCM will be over....
    Listen to your body is the best advice really. Nerves/excitement/tapering can all do strange things to a body and mind so hopefully it's just something to do with that.

Hi Ososlo, I went to the chemist's, explained my problem to the pharmacist & she told me I needed vitamin B. Sold me Ferroglobin B12 slow release. I just ate one now with a banana (had lunch recently, supposed to take them on a full stomach). Let's see if I turn back into an enthusiastic marathoner within the next couple of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

I got a timely reminder there on my lunchtime run, my Garmin said that the memory was nearly full, so no harm for people to delete old runs so you wont be getting that message on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

has changed a little since then. All provisional until the morning of the race

Marty Rea 3:00

Trevor P 3:10

chrisgrayson 3:20

Beepbeep67 3:30

Barry C 4:00

charlie933 4:20

Oisin11178 4:30

Garman 4:40

Paul H 5:00

I feel like I should know the 3.40 pacers at this stage from being on here. No hope of meeting them unless theres a cannon at the start line to shoot me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Joleigh wrote: »
    I feel like I should know the 3.40 pacers at this stage from being on here. No hope of meeting them unless theres a cannon at the start line to shoot me out.

We'll see you after. Gavlor is the grumpy one, Meno will be talking (no doubt) - I'm the one in the corner with no mates.

Advertisement