Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Reesy wrote: »
    Hi Ososlo, I went to the chemist's, explained my problem to the pharmacist & she told me I needed vitamin B. Sold me Ferroglobin B12 slow release. I just ate one now with a banana (had lunch recently, supposed to take them on a full stomach). Let's see if I turn back into an enthusiastic marathoner within the next couple of days!

I'm not convinced that your issue is iron - any kind of cold or virus can also make you feel this way.
    Its also normal to feel this way during marathon week - I'm a wreck right now and I'm pacing it - 5m last night was tough for me.

Also, for iron supplements to work, normally takes a few weeks - dont expect a sudden burst from it.
    But do expect a sudden burst due to Marathon day brushing off the fatigue, race day atmosphere & crowd helping and the burst of adrenaline that you get for the 1st few miles!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

I'm not convinced that your issue is iron - any kind of cold or virus can also make you feel this way .../... Also, for iron supplements to work, normally takes a few weeks - dont expect a sudden burst from it.
    But do expect a sudden burst due to Marathon day brushing off the fatigue, race day atmosphere & crowd helping and the burst of adrenaline that you get for the 1st few miles!!

Thanks AuldManKing, actually the Pharmacist told me the issue was vitamin B - but whatever, once I get home on Monday in a respectable time I won't mind. Cheers for your thoughts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

With been away I have a bit of catching up to do on this thread so not sure if It's been asked if many are doing the breakfast run on Sunday...?

Be great if a few from here did it, be even better if Ososlo could join us for a sentimental last run before the main event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dub13 wrote: »
    With been away I have a bit of catching up to do on this thread so not sure if It's been asked if many are doing the breakfast run on Sunday...?

Be great if a few from here did it, be even better if Ososlo could join us for a sentimental last run before the main event.

Ah here....
    I spend 6 months of my life dedicating myself to mentoring this thread and now I'm expected to go running and drinking with yiz too:confused:
    WHEN WILL IT EVER BE OVER:confused::confused:
    Obviously I'm kidding:D. It's been an absolute pleasure. It really has. I can't do the Sunday but hope to make the 3pm drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

6 months, what are you on about? We're not done with you yet. What about our post-marathon moans and updates???

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    6 months, what are you on about? We're not done with you yet. What about our post-marathon moans and updates???

ha ha yeah I might hang about for another while afterwards but then yer on yer own! Then maybe some kindly Boardsie might devise a Winter training plan for the
    Graduates of 2014:D like was done in previous years. I have just the person in mind;)
    Anyways, let's worry about Monday first:)

Here's what to look out for hanging by the pool table in McGrattan's at 3pm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ososlo wrote: »
    ha ha yeah I might hang about for another while afterwards but then yer on yer own! Then maybe some kindly Boardsie might devise a Winter training plan for the
    Graduates of 2014:D like was done in previous years. I have just the person in mind;)
    Anyways, let's worry about Monday first:)

I nominate AuldmanKing for that role

menoscemo wrote: »
    I nominate AuldmanKing for that role

Don't think she was thinking of me. Anyway I'd refuse :).

Sure, an experienced novice (oxymoron) might step up.

Who is that then? Tanned and far too happy looking.

• Advertisement

Who is that then? Tanned and far too happy looking.

Our very own AuldManKing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Don't think she was thinking of me. Anyway I'd refuse :).

Sure, an experienced novice (oxymoron) might step up.

Blockic did it this year, I did it the year before. Time to step up :cool:

menoscemo wrote: »
    Blockic did it this year, I did it the year before. Time to step up :cool:

Plenty more Boardsies who have never stepped up.......

Dont you mean 'Who' as opposed to 'What' :pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuR7hU5kvqQ&sns=fb

My fellow MSB clubmate and also my sports therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Looking for advice 2013

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Thanks O. I can't believe it's nearly here, the last few months have flown by.

Laura I'll be running along side you with the 4.50! Our times are very similar,

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Our very own AuldManKing:)

I thought he was meant to be Auld!!!!

Maybe I can push myself to 3.40...hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Right there's no real running going on, so let's concentrate on McGrattan's for a bit. What time are we meeting, would 3pm-ish give everyone time to call in.

Will the mighty Ososlo be there?!

Definitely hoping to pop in. That kinda time sounds good to me.
    I'm sorry Laura about the cat.

Thanks aquinn, appreciate it.
    I think laura will come in below the 4:50 target if she pushes on a bit later in the race..

Nearly laughed when I saw this....I'm loving the confidence - any idea where I can get some of that??? :P
    Laura I'll be running along side you with the 4.50! Our times are very similar,

Oh very good! Maybe we can have a bit of a chat at some stage to pass some time. Anyone else in this group? Thought I saw someone else mention it a week or two back, firedance maybe?

Think I might knock my planned 3 mile tonight on the head. Have a bit of fatigued leg - kind of like a dead leg if that makes sense. happens the odd time and wouldn't normally stop me running but with the week that's in it probably best to be over cautious.

Joleigh wrote:

Joleigh wrote:

I was wishing I was faster too but was told run like you are chasing a fine man and being chased by a freak. Sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

:D
    Joleigh wrote: »

I had the very same thought..race ya

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

5 Miles done tonight with 3 at Marathon pace, very enjoyable, last proper run before Monday.

Need to step back a bit from all the build up to the race. it's kind of keeping me on edge, so I'll try and keep my mind off it for the next few days if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

I only stumbled across this thread recently but thanks to all the posters (mentors and novices alike) aside from instilling a mild sense of panic I found everything everyone has posted very useful. Thanks.

The reason I'm posting is to ask about leaving a bag. Would it be safe and assuming it is could I be long waiting to collect it after?

Also I'm going to be in the last wave what time do I need to be there for? Would ten to or a quarter to nine be too late?

Also there was an article in a certain tabloid paper with 17 points to make it easier that might be of interest (I don't want to post the link incase I fall foul of any restrictions but google can help you out just putting in Dublin Marathon should get it for you). One I found useful was to have a quid for a hot drink on the way home. Obvious to nearly everyone I'm sure but I'd no doubt have forgotten without being reminded.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I found the bag drop off/collection very efficient when I did it. Throw in warm clothes, fresh socks, a towel and a hat for afterwards. And food.

Joleigh wrote: »

I was wishing I was faster too but was told run like you are chasing a fine man and being chased by a freak. Sorted!

Now now ladies, calm down:p
    Stick to your planned targets. However, this time next year ye can all chase the lovely AMK around the streets of Dublin for your sub 3:40s;)

murphm45 wrote: »
    I only stumbled across this thread recently but thanks to all the posters (mentors and novices alike) aside from instilling a mild sense of panic I found everything everyone has posted very useful. Thanks.

The reason I'm posting is to ask about leaving a bag. Would it be safe and assuming it is could I be long waiting to collect it after?

Also I'm going to be in the last wave what time do I need to be there for? Would ten to or a quarter to nine be too late?

Also there was an article in a certain tabloid paper with 17 points to make it easier that might be of interest (I don't want to post the link incase I fall foul of any restrictions but google can help you out just putting in Dublin Marathon should get it for you). One I found useful was to have a quid for a hot drink on the way home. Obvious to nearly everyone I'm sure but I'd no doubt have forgotten without being reminded.

Great stuff! I found bag drop great. I had money and phone in it and all was safe and sound when I got it back. I mightn't leave the family jewels in there but I think you'd be fine with a bit o cash and phone etc.
    I got mine almost immediately after the race. Hoards of brilliant volunteers manning the bagging areas.

I'd aim to be there at least 45 mins before you're due to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Great stuff! I found bag drop great. I had money and phone in it and all was safe and sound when I got it back. I mightn't leave the family jewels in there but I think you'd be fine with a bit o cash and phone etc.
    I got mine almost immediately after the race. Hoards of brilliant volunteers manning the bagging areas.

I'd aim to be there at least 45 mins before you're due to start.

Thanks Ososlo. I wasn't planning on bring a bag but if I need to be there so early it might be no harm. Hmmm ... the million dollar question now is whether or not I bring my keys with me or leave them in the bag. Decisions, decisions?! Oh well at east finding an answer will distract my attention from the main event!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hi guys

Just popping in to wish you all the best on Monday. My only advice would be not to be too aggressive with your goal times especially if it's your first. No matter how comfortable you are early on, the last few miles are going to hurt. You need to be prepared for that and be ready to dig in when the going gets tough. The support around Dublin is fantastic though and it will lift you. Above all ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!

I came across this article as well for anyone who's feeling the nerves. Some good advice in there and just to emphasise one of the points made it would be no harm this week to have a think about what you want to do after DCM (running wise ;)). I definitely suffer from post marathon depression and it will keep you focused during the recovery if you have a race to aim for and it will keep you running especially if you have a tough time in the marathon.

Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

As a matter of interest, are there many others on here going out with the 3.40 pacers?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I had considered it but they are a bit quick for me so I'll be going 3:50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

skittles11 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, are there many others on here going out with the 3.40 pacers?

I think a couple of them are married :pac:

Advertisement