Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I think a couple of them are married :pac:

Which 2 are married? Or is it a 3 way marriage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

adrian522 wrote: »
    Which 2 are married? Or is it a 3 way marriage?

Talk of three ways now?
    I thought this was a running thread.
    No further comments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I think a couple of them are married :pac:

Hmmm...!

Some good advice in there and just to emphasise one of the points made it would be no harm this week to have a think about what you want to do after DCM (running wise ;)). I definitely suffer from post marathon depression and it will keep you focused during the recovery if you have a race to aim for and it will keep you running especially if you have a tough time in the marathon.

Good luck :D[/quote]

I signed up for Run In The Dark 10km (on Nov 12th) a couple of months back thinking it'd be a good one to take advantage my marathon fitness. Been reading a lot on what to do after and most of the advice says not to race for 3 to 5 weeks. In two minds now. Either way my plan is to improve my 5k and 10k PB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I signed up for Run In The Dark 10km (on Nov 12th) a couple of months back thinking it'd be a good one to take advantage my marathon fitness. Been reading a lot on what to do after and most of the advice says not to race for 3 to 5 weeks. In two minds now. Either way my plan is to improve my 5k and 10k PB's.
    not sure it'd be a good idea 2 weeks after DCM. You'll only really be getting back into easy running at that point. Maybe you could jog around it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All the cool kids are running the jingle bells 5k on December 6th.

Waterford half marathon is the same day which is supposed to be good too. I'll be in the park though.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

adrian522 wrote: »
    All the cool kids are running the jingle bells 5k on December 6th.

Waterford half marathon is the same day which is supposed to be good too. I'll be in the park though.

I did the Waterford Half after DCM12 and really enjoyed it, an undulating course but lovely run and great post race spread. I still use the snood given instead of a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Think I'll do the rememberance run 5k on nov 9th. My sisters are doing it and they run slower than my slow pace so I can just take it handy with them. If I'm still in one piece by then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I was thinking of doing Clontarf Half at end of November.
    As for long term I want to get 5k and 10k times down considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Birdhill Turkey Run early December, 45min 10k would be a good way to close the year.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    not sure it'd be a good idea 2 weeks after DCM. You'll only really be getting back into easy running at that point. Maybe you could jog around it.

Yeah, think I might have to jog it alright but that Jingle Bells run sounds like a spot of craic. Bring on the Xmas jumpers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

skittles11 wrote: »
    Yeah, think I might have to jog it alright but that Jingle Bells run sounds like a spot of craic. Bring on the Xmas jumpers!

Yeah it's a fun race. Boards beers might be that evening too (were last year) so a good way to kick off the xmas season!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I still use the snood

The wha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I think my PBs for the shorter distances are there for the taking now after all the marathon training so I'll probably target a couple of races and do some speed work.

Outside of running, the next thing on my bucket list is to write a book (actually to finish the one I started last year), and I've also signed up to a part time degree course. I don't expect to have time for a 20 miler every week...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

skittles11 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, are there many others on here going out with the 3.40 pacers?

I'll be in with them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff is there to see at the expo this weekend?

I know the main focus for many (myself included) is to get our numbers sorted, but that aside is there much else that's recommended?

I see a few mentions of the pacers' booth - what's the purpose of that? Is it just an opportunity to chat to pacers or find out how it'll work on the morning of the race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Dub13 wrote: »
    With been away I have a bit of catching up to do on this thread so not sure if It's been asked if many are doing the breakfast run on Sunday...?

Be great if a few from here did it, be even better if Ososlo could join us for a sentimental last run before the main event.

According to the DCM website and it was mentioned on here earlier this week but the run on Sunday is supposed to be only for International entries and not for the regular joe from these shores.

I doubt they would turn anyway one all the same though.

Kop On wrote: »
    According to the DCM website and it was mentioned on here earlier this week but the run on Sunday is supposed to be only for International entries and not for the regular joe from these shores.

I doubt they would turn anyway one all the same though.

Where are you seeing that on the website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

flogen wrote: »

I know the main focus for many (myself included) is to get our numbers sorted, but that aside is there much else that's recommended?

I see a few mentions of the pacers' booth - what's the purpose of that? Is it just an opportunity to chat to pacers or find out how it'll work on the morning of the race?

http://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/

the pacers have a stand so you can talk to them about their pacing strategy and get a paceband. there's also a general info stand to ask about parking, transport, stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

beertons wrote: »
    The wha?

It's a sort scarf thing, really handy for winter running or outdoor walks etc., getting a lot more use than I thought it would when I originally got it.
    flogen wrote: »

Lots of companies selling running gear, many of it at discounted prices. Plenty of bits & pieces that you never thought you needed but have to have, running belts, earphones, compression socks etc. lots of stands for other races, info from physios on how to prepare & recover. History of the marathon stuff, pasta stand and the like.

It's worth a walk around, but there's nothing there really to keep you there too long.

Take time to talk to the pacers if you need to, maybe take in an expert on the stage and buy any gear you might need for Christmas gifts / winter running / next season.

You could easily just go in, get your number and leave but I tend to pick up a box of gels & have bought things like a running belt, yellow night running jacket, elastic laces etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Just asked the Irish Rail Twitter account about DART service from South Dublin on the day - unfortunately due to low numbers in the past, there will not be an early service that will get us to the start line.

Same from the North of the city I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Any suggestion on best miles to place family members?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

aquinn wrote: »

Plenty of room on Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Mary Jennings from ForgetTheGym has some handy posts this week about DCM - Here is the only on supporters if its of any help!

http://marathontourist.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/tips-for-your-dublin-marathon-supporters/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

All depends - some places get very crowded, I always had my troop near the end - as you know then that you cant stop during it and have to keep going so they get to see you! 2-3 miles from the end gives you a good lift at a difficult time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Mimojo wrote: »

Great post - one to keep for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Super, thanks all.

Ok next. On my 2 * 20 LSR I took two gels and a rake of jellies. On our 26.2 - 27 m run on Monday I'm taking 5 with me? Also every 7 miles or so and finally take one caffeine about m 22. This sounds ok/right/correct/sensible???

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Few tips on the route itself:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ian-o-riordan-s-three-and-a-half-minute-dublin-marathon-1.1973083

As you can see I am being an incredibly productive employee today :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Super, thanks all.

Ok next. On my 2 * 20 LSR I took two gels and a rake of jellies. On our 26.2 - 27 m run on Monday I'm taking 5 with me? Also every 7 miles or so and finally take one caffeine about m 22. This sounds ok/right/correct/sensible???

Thanks.
    that's similar to my plan, one every 5 miles and a spare one in case I need an extra boost in the last miles (also with caffeine). My supporters will have watermelon as I found this was heaven sent in Athlone - no carb value but a lovely break from water/gels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

another unproductive employee here - this is a good watch & only 3 mins with some good tips about the route

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ian-o-riordan-s-three-and-a-half-minute-dublin-marathon-1.1973083

Advertisement