Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Mimojo wrote: »
    Few tips on the route itself:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ian-o-riordan-s-three-and-a-half-minute-dublin-marathon-1.1973083

As you can see I am being an incredibly productive employee today :-)

I have a brand new GS5 and I can't view that video. I can never view videos on the boards mobile touch site either. Strange as I can hear the music. Must be something to do with flash player.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Have this 'Man Flu' in a headlock now, combination of Chicken soup, Rubex and Solphasinus Tablets seem to be doing the trick, hopefully will be fully recovered by tomorrow. Going to consider scrapping the 4 hour pacer plan and going out with the Kenyan Lads at the front, what could possibly go wrong??

BTW Not sure what all the fuss is about with Auld Man King/Benjamin Button?:D Sure he is waaayy too dreamy, fit and tanned to be our group, but I am told that he will have to leave McGrattans after a short while to return on a white horse to Tir Na N'Og and the fountain of Youth.:pac::D:D:D

I reckon that I would match up to him any day, meme meme !!see pic attached.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I saved a couple of posts from the London marathon thread that I thought were interesting.

The first one is an article on BBC Sport with tips for the big day.

The other one was posted by Beep Beep and contains pre and post race advice from Greg McMillan. Both well worth a read I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

smashiner wrote: »

BTW Not sure what all the fuss is about with Auld Man King/Benjamin Button?:D Sure he is waaayy too dreamy, fit and tanned to be our group, but I am told that he will have to leave McGrattans after a short while to return on a white horse to Tir Na N'Og and the fountain of Youth.:pac::D:D:D

I reckon that I would match up to him any day, meme meme !!see pic attached.

This is such a freaky post on many levels.

This is such a freaky post on many levels.[/QUOTE

Yeah, I am much better looking than Beaker. :cool:
    Find attached an 'airbrushed' version of me. I am in the orange top with the monsterous 'Celebration' Ice Cream with Raspberry Ripple and Flake, post running the Clontarf HM with my mate. We were both cream crackered after gunning ourselves on the beach in Clontarf for a sub 1:50 finish, so huge Ice Creams were the order of the day!!

Plan a similar 'Celebration' with a pints of Guinness and 6 packets of King crisps post the DCM :D:D.

See you all at the expo/DCM/First Aid Tent.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This is such a freaky post on many levels.[/QUOTE

Yeah, I am much better looking than Beaker. :cool:
    Find attached an 'airbrushed' version of me. I am in the orange top with the monsterous 'Celebration' Ice Cream with Raspberry Ripple and Flake, post running the Clontarf HM with my mate. We were both cream crackered after gunning ourselves on the beach in Clontarf for a sub 1:50 finish, so huge Ice Creams were the order of the day!!

Plan a similar 'Celebration' with a pints of Guinness and 6 packets of King crisps post the DCM :D:D.

See you all at the expo/DCM/First Aid Tent.......

hey smashy, small world. I think I remember you and your buddy from following myself and FBOT in the 1:50 group at clontarf?

menoscemo wrote: »

hey smashy, small world. I think I remember you and your buddy from following myself and FBOT in the 1:50 group at clontarf?

Yep,you could probably hear a lot of cursing and swearing as we hit the beach for the second time all right, followed by lots of panting and gulping for air and then probably silence for the last 5Km's as we almost passed out due to oxygen starvation :eek::eek:.

We just about made it in 1:49:30 and almost collapsed with exhaustion, we were walking like John Wayne for 3 days afterwards.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Small world indeed. U pacing in the DCM??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Was it not Ferris B who paced with you that day?

yaboya1 wrote: »

yes it was myself and ferris

@ Smashiner, have you not heard? 3:40 is myself AuldManK and Gavlor. Should be a hoot.

Are they not the same person :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

aquinn wrote: »
    Super, thanks all.

Ok next. On my 2 * 20 LSR I took two gels and a rake of jellies. On our 26.2 - 27 m run on Monday I'm taking 5 with me? Also every 7 miles or so and finally take one caffeine about m 22. This sounds ok/right/correct/sensible???

Thanks.

My plan is 1st gel at 4miles then every 5 miles. So 4, 9, 14, 19, 24 and a few jellies incase I'm hungry. Originally said id bring an energy bar but it's too much hassle to carry. Don't know yet where my supporters will be but I'd rather not have to depend on them for anything. Except support!

Are they not the same person :)

They definitely look alike

yes it was myself and ferris

@ Smashiner, have you not heard? 3:40 is myself AuldManK and Gavlor. Should be a hoot.

Hope it goes well for you..... running at 5:10 a Km is something that I might just be able to do for 21Km, but for 42Km I will end up in an ambulance en route to James' Hospital....as Clint Eastwood famously said ''A Man's got to know his Limitations'. First DCM and I am sticking with the 4 hour guys and hopefully can stay with them for the duration :):)

Have a good one lads, hopefully will see you at the expo (Sat for me) or at the DCM!! ;)

Hope it goes well for you..... running at 5:10 a Km is something that I might just be able to do for 21Km, but for 42Km I will end up in an ambulance en route to James' Hospital....as Clint Eastwood famously said ''A Man's got to know his Limitations'. First DCM and I am sticking with the 4 hour guys and hopefully can stay with them for the duration :):)

Have a good one lads, hopefully will see you at the expo (Sat for me) or at the DCM!! ;)

But you never know on the day:

"Do you feel lucky?" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

Final instructions below from the phone app as might be useful for some (not sure why they don't appear to be on the DCM website, maybe they will be included with the number pack).

As I cannot post links it's at : http:// tinypic [.com] /r/sg394w/8 (remove spaces and brackets)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Firedance wrote: »
    another unproductive employee here - this is a good watch & only 3 mins with some good tips about the route

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ian-o-riordan-s-three-and-a-half-minute-dublin-marathon-1.1973083

That's a great video - but for some reason it has also caused me to panic a little bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

But you never know on the day:

"Do you feel lucky?" :P

Really yaboya1, tell smashiner how well your last miles went on your first marathon in case he missed it :p

aquinn wrote: »
    Really yaboya1, tell smashiner how well your last miles went on your first marathon in case he missed it :p

Pray tell. It sounds like it went 'very well'??

'Go ahead Punk, Make my day' :)

Pray tell. It sounds like it went 'very well'??

'Go ahead Punk, Make my day' :)

The latter stages of the marathon can be described by slightly changing one of his movie titles:

'Unforgiving'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

WTF is going in here today?!

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »

Did you read six comments or only five??

Same $h1t different year...............Taper week.

Did you read six comments or only five??

??

I'm too hungover for this

??

I'm too hungover for this

Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Not sure what's wrong with me this week i seem to be tired all the time.

Btw myself and Gavlor are the two Tommy Tiernan look alikes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

another unproductive employee here - this is a good watch & only 3 mins with some good tips about the route

Great video. I have butterflies!!

Btw myself and Gavlor are the two Tommy Tiernan look alikes ;)

You wish you looked like me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Girls, we need to dredge up the beauty discussions from earlier in the thread, time is of the essence! I got my eyebrows done today (wind resistance + beauty, two for one...) and nails booked for Saturday (go faster stripes), am I missing anything??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Girls, we need to dredge up the beauty discussions from earlier in the thread, time is of the essence! I got my eyebrows done today (wind resistance + beauty, two for one...) and nails booked for Saturday (go faster stripes), am I missing anything??

Waterproof mascara is a must.
    Shave yer legs tonight or tomorrow and no sooner.
    How are you all wearing the hair?
    Ponytails? Hairbands?

Advertisement