Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thought for the day:

At least one of you is going to f&ck it up.... Don't let it be you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Gavlor wrote: »
    Thought for the day:

I thought Pacers were full of positivity!

As they say on the lotto add, "it could be you" Gavlor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Gavlor wrote: »
    Thought for the day:

Could say the same thing about the pacers :p :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

RayCun wrote: »
    Could say the same thing about the pacers :p :pac:

I should be ok.

Statler and Waldorf on the other hand......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I have been following this thread for the past few weeks and would like to wish everyone a great run on Monday. It's hard to believe that this time two years ago I was about to run my first ever marathon. The Dublin City Marathon is truly a special race. It will be an experience you will never forget.

The main thing to remember is that the marathon is merely the continuation of your journey, not the end. Whether you choose to never run again or continue in the sport for years to come, the training and race itself is something to be very proud of. The journey and experience has taken you this far so come Monday savour every moment and enjoy the experience. You have earned it.

Monday isn't simply all about hitting your time goals. Some will hit their pre-race targets and some will miss out but that doesn't really matter. The race is just another run. The important thing is to run the best race you can on the day. That's all you can do.

When the gun goes off every bit of nervous tension will evaporate. You will wonder what the big fuss was about!

Two things to remember:
    -Set out at a sensible pace for the first few miles.
    -On windy stretches (Chesterfield Avenue, Crumlin Road) draft in behind fellow runners. This is hugely beneficial. Let other people fight the wind for you :).

Run smart. Run safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I can't find my notes, what day did Ososlo say we had to shave our legs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ha ha too late, you missed the boat ya big hairy fecker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

No, she said WAX!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Hey guys, I hope this hasn't already been covered but, does anybody know if there is a tracking app or anything like that for family and friends to monitor? PS Good luck to you all on Monday and many thanks to those who have shared their wisdom over the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Pm1e wrote: »
    Hey guys, I hope this hasn't already been covered but, does anybody know if there is a tracking app or anything like that for family and friends to monitor? PS Good luck to you all on Monday and many thanks to those who have shared their wisdom over the last while.

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINM-2014

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carmendub

smashiner wrote: »
    Due to Man Flu I last did a run (13K) on Sunday, my plan then went out the window due to being floored on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I am feeling a bit better now,but still not 100%, head is still a bit bunged up and I am feeling a bit crappy (chest is ok though).

I was planning to do a 4-5K light jog this evening or tomorrow, just to prove to myself that my legs still actually work, what do you guys think?

Also, I am a little concerns that I may feel a bit lethargic and low on energy on the day because of this crappy Man Flu week, any suggestions (food/vitamins/performance enhancing drugs) for an energy boost for today,Saturday and Sunday to give me a good swing at this.

Any advice would be much appreciated on the run and energy fronts ;)
    Holy Jeebus, we are collecting our race numbers tomorrow!!

I'm no medical expert but I know what works for me when I'm run down-plenty of fluids. berocca or any vitamin c tablet mixed with water and also dose up on Echinacea (great for building you up when you're feeling run down/under the weather!) You can get it in drops or tablet format!Hope this helps! I'm going to do a 5k job this evening and then that's me done until Monday 9am!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

MET EIREANN
    MONDAY: Mostly cloudy with scattered outbreaks of rain across the country, heaviest across northwest counties (again spot flooding). Rather windy with fresh and gusty southwest winds. However it will be mild and humid with highest temperatures of 13 to 17 degrees Celsius, best values over Leinster where it will tend to be driest.

So it may not rain in Dublin, but could will be warm so for me its Flourescent yellow Nike combat singlet, grey Nike shorts with orange compression liner, green Injinji toe socks and bright green/yellow Saucony Kinvara - they'll certainly see me coming...slowly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

MLC_biker wrote: »
    MET EIREANN
    MONDAY: Mostly cloudy with scattered outbreaks of rain across the country, heaviest across northwest counties (again spot flooding). Rather windy with fresh and gusty southwest winds. However it will be mild and humid with highest temperatures of 13 to 17 degrees Celsius, best values over Leinster where it will tend to be driest.

So it may not rain in Dublin, but could will be warm so for me its Flourescent yellow Nike combat singlet, grey Nike shorts with orange compression liner, green Injinji toe socks and bright green/yellow Saucony Kinvara - they'll certainly see me coming...slowly :rolleyes:

Met Eireann? I've often checked their website at 9am on the actual day and they've wrongly predicted what will happen by 11am.
    Ignore!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

carmendub wrote: »
    I'm no medical expert but I know what works for me when I'm run down-plenty of fluids. berocca or any vitamin c tablet mixed with water and also dose up on Echinacea (great for building you up when you're feeling run down/under the weather!) You can get it in drops or tablet format!Hope this helps! I'm going to do a 5k job this evening and then that's me done until Monday 9am!!

Great, thanks for the reply!! Good timing too as I am off the Chemist right now to buy some more performance enchancing drugs

'Echinacea' (I think he played up front for Brazil in the 1970 World Cup?) is top of the list as I have already consumed my body weight in Rubex/Beeline.

Cheers.....;)

smashiner wrote: »
    Great, thanks for the reply!! Good timing too as I am off the Chemist right now to buy some more performance enchancing drugs

'Echinacea' (I think he played up front for Brazil in the 1970 World Cup?) is top of the list as I have already consumed my body weight in Rubex/Beeline.

Cheers.....;)
    Raw garlic good too.

Ask chemist's advice about other stuff that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Control the controllables.

Dont fret about the weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Met Eireann? I've often checked their website at 9am on the actual day and they've wrongly predicted what will happen by 11am.
    Ignore!

BBC 15C-17C 17 mph SW winds
    Accuweather 13C-17C 15 mph SSW winds
    yr.no 15C-17C 20 mph SW winds

seems to be a consensus...unless they're all getting their data from Met Eireann!

Means wind in our faces on the drag up Crumlin Rd to Walkinstown :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

aquinn wrote: »
    I have my list for the expo.

What's this list you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

RayCun wrote: »

Hi, for the tracker to work do they need FB?
    I've told only a few people that I'm doing this. Do I need to log in and activate this before it kicks off or can anyone just enter my name or bib number and it will work? I don't really want all my results to post on FB as I pass these points? Thanks, as always. x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Most accurate weather forecast to date:
    Yesterday: the butter was soft but not greasy
    Today: the butter is hard enough but spreadable.
    Tomorrow: unknown

As KillianByrne says "control the controllables" and forget about the rest. It'll be just right anyway :-)

I've told only a few people that I'm doing this. Do I need to log in and activate this before it kicks off or can anyone just enter my name or bib number and it will work? I don't really want all my results to post on FB as I pass these points? Thanks, as always. x
    I tracked you for the half ;) and I didn't need facebook. Presume it's the same. I just entered your bib no. Anyone can check you if they have name or number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

MLC_biker wrote: »
    Means wind in our faces on the drag up Crumlin Rd to Walkinstown :-(

The usual so......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

ciaranmac wrote: »
    There ya go. A paddy last selfie to balance out the elites. I actually was in last place at the time, that was taken in the first mile after I stopped to sort out my garmin.

Sure while ye are all at it.....
    Hoping to be with the 3:40 pacers. Looking forward to the craic.
    See ye there.
    MtM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Sure while ye are all at it.....
    Hoping to be with the 3:40 pacers. Looking forward to the craic.
    See ye there.
    MtM

Loving that headband, go on ya good thing.

Ososlo wrote: »
    I tracked you for the half ;) and I didn't need facebook. Presume it's the same. I just entered your bib no. Anyone can check you if they have name or number.

Really!?:D
    That made me smile at least.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    What's this list you speak of?

What bus to get there.
    BIB!
    Gel pack
    Pace bands
    Pondering calf sleeves but have never tried them, will see.
    Had to write it down in case I completely forget why I am there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

No just send people the link to your bib number,
    Last year it was at 10K the half mark and some other point I can't remember.

You dont need to login with facebook, if you do I think it just posts the details to your account or tweets it or something, anyway you don't need to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    No just send people the link to your bib number,
    Last year it was at 10K the half mark and some other point I can't remember.

You dont need to login with facebook, if you do I think it just posts the details to your account or tweets it or something, anyway you don't need to do anything.

Name works as well as bib number

Advertisement