Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

aquinn wrote: »
    What bus to get there.
    BIB!
    Gel pack
    Pace bands
    Pondering calf sleeves but have never tried them, will see.
    Had to write it down in case I completely forget why I am there.

Just curious (and nosey) - to see am I missing something! :D

Shorts - check
    Singlet - check
    socks - check
    Garmin - check
    runners - check
    knee support - check
    water to carry to start area - to do
    2 Bananas to eat 30/40 minutes before start - to do
    A few sweets - to do
    Not gonna bother with any Electrolyte tab

Bought me gels yesterday - not using Hi5 - and a couple of cheap bits in Penny's to dump at the start line or 2 miles in. I don't really have old stuff at home coz the wife keeps giving stuff away to the charity shop!

What am I forgetting for before/during the race? Other than my bib, pins and pace bands that I'll get tomorrow.

Anyone carrying a couple of pain killers with them? to knock back at mile 20?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I wouldn't take pain killers, if the pain is that bad you shouldn't be running.

2 bananas before the start, not sure about that either, would that have been what you would have prior to a long run?

adrian522 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take pain killers, if the pain is that bad you shouldn't be running.

2 bananas before the start, not sure about that either, would that have been what you would have prior to a long run?

That's what I did on the LSRs yeah!

about the pain killers, none of us know if we're gonna be in pain or not - and none of us are gonna accept a DNF at that point if we absolutely don't have to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Anyone carrying a couple of pain killers with them? to knock back at mile 20?

You have to endure the pain!
    That's part of the fun :)

As someone wise once said: If it doesn't hurt after 20 miles, you're doing it wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Also, taking painkillers at 20 miles will likely make you throw up on top of gels etc. Be very careful. I've heard of people passing blood in urine after doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

What's the story about leaving old clothes at the start line?
    I'm thinking of wearing an old hoody and dumping it before we start.
    Someone mentioned before to beware of getting hit with clothes if you're at the side - do people just fling them over the barriers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

MLC_biker wrote: »

Means wind in our faces on the drag up Crumlin Rd to Walkinstown :-(

This is a good thing because once you turn at the walkinstown roundabout you'll have the wind at your back for most of the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

gingersnap wrote: »
    Someone mentioned before to beware of getting hit with clothes if you're at the side - do people just fling them over the barriers?

People just throw them over the barriers and they get collected and given to charity. If you're short, try to give it a really good toss up in the air so you don't hit anyone. Last year my old hoody landed on the upturned face of some poor man standing near me. I think he was looking up at the sky, thinking powerful, pre-race thoughts ... and bam! Everyone around me was saying 'Hope you run better than you throw!'

Either just leave them on the path before the race starts or toss them aside carefully while running.
    I don't remember getting hit by flying clothes last year! Most people take off before race starts.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    People just throw them over the barriers and they get collected and given to charity. If you're short, try to give it a really good toss up in the air so you don't hit anyone. Last year my old hoody landed on the upturned face of some poor man standing near me. I think he was looking up at the sky, thinking powerful, pre-race thoughts ... and bam! Everyone around me was saying 'Hope you run better than you throw!'

Thanks for that, it made me laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Ososlo wrote: »
    Also, taking painkillers at 20 miles will likely make you throw up on top of gels etc. Be very careful. I've heard of people passing blood in urine after doing this.

Yeah this is true. I had a chest infection 2 years ago, took antibiotics and paracetamol, ran a race, and blood in my urine......well to be more accurate there was some urine in my blood. It was a shock and was pissing razor blades for a week after...... Definitely not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I was given advice by a really good physio that I trust, to take a Nurofen tablet with your breakfast 'before' an LSR or big race if you have any niggles.
    I was surprised to hear him say that, but I was struggling with a knee injury (my own fault for over use) in the middle of my marathon prepp and I have to say it worked a treat for me! He did warn me to only do it once or twice until the pain passed.

U might get dis-qualified for illegal substances in your system though :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I have a pair of old track bottoms that should have gone in the bin long ago, and they'll come off easily over my runners, so I'll wear those to the start line. My Mam gave me an old zippy hoody of hers which I can also fling away. So I'll be the hobo in the old clothes.

Laois-Man - stick Vaseline on your list! As well as a few other places. :)

Joleigh wrote: »
    I did 4m easy on wed night. Heading towards home in the dark on a lonely road with just one other runner on the other side of the road, a push bike came up behind me and the man put his hand over my head, I got such a fright. He had a scarf up over his face, and he was definitely African, then he said "don't jog on the footpath". I thought he was giving out to me cos its also a cycle path, then as he cycled on his shouted back, "its bad for your knees, jog on the grass"!!!. I just said, ok!!! I swear my heart was beating out of my chest.

That's scary. Whether he was joking or not, coming up behind a woman (or a man!) in the dark like that is out of order.

I feel so excited and nervous and can't focus in work all day with this big event looming on Monday. And I'm not even running the bloody thing!!!!!
    :D

I feel so excited and nervous and can't focus in work all day with this big event looming on Monday. And I'm not even running the bloody thing!!!!!
    :D

Where will you be standing and how will we recognise you?

Where will you be standing and how will we recognise you?

You going to McGrattans? AMK knows what I look like. He posted up his pic yesterday so look out for him and he'll point me out. Menoscemo also knows what I look like and he also posted his pic.

You going to McGrattans? AMK knows what I look like. He posted up his pic yesterday so look out for him and he'll point me out. Menoscemo also knows what I look like and he also posted his pic.

No photo from the elusive Ososlo for those of us who can't make it to McGrattans? :)

• Advertisement

Laois-Man - stick Vaseline on your list! As well as a few other places. :)

Never had to use it.

No photo from the elusive Ososlo for those of us who can't make it to McGrattans? :)
    No sorry :(
    I'm not a media whore like the others :)

I don't know about McGrattans yet. If the family make it to the finish line I'll have to go home with the kids. they wont be too happy if I say I'm heading to the pub! But they are cheering along the course so they might not make it to town, in which case I'll pop into McGrattans all going well.

Will you not be out on the course at some point cheering us on? Or are you just going straight to the pub!?

I don't know about McGrattans yet. If the family make it to the finish line I'll have to go home with the kids. they wont be too happy if I say I'm heading to the pub! But they are cheering along the course so they might not make it to town, in which case I'll pop into McGrattans all going well.

Will you not be out on the course at some point cheering us on? Or are you just going straight to the pub!?
    Yes I'll be in a few different spots but not sure exactly where yet. Put 'Joleigh' on your teeshirt somewhere and I'll shout you out if I see you!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I know there are still plenty of nerves to come, but I feel like I may be over the worst of my taper madness.

Was out for an easy 3 miles earlier (actually ran it at MP :S) and could feel the difference in my legs from the tapering - have also picked up most of the bits I need for the day, and starting to get things clearer in my head about what's to come.

Come Sunday night I might feel different about it all, but at this stage I'm looking forward to Monday morning (and the pints afterwards even more)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Just want to pop in while I have a chance to wish everyone the best of luck on Monday. I was in fitzwilliam square this morning and could almost smell the atmosphere that's about to envelope you all. I am insanely jealous of you all as I'm missing out through injury for the 2nd year in a row so please make sure to make the most of it especially the first timers. You've achieved a hell of a lot already by being able to line out on Monday so go get your rewards.Hope you all get the results you have trained hard for.

I may be marshalling, not confirmed yet but will come in to watch anyway and hope to hit McGrattans at some point if family obligations don't get in the way. So I'll try give those of you that I know a big shout out.

Well done Ososlo on doing an excellent mentoring job. You're a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JPlinders

In the overall context of the day this is relatively small thing but every tip helps. Be wary of throwing your old clothes too early. Last year people were chucking them only because it became a bit of a Mexican wave thing where they were only throwing cos it was getting a laugh and everyone else was doing it. Then people realised they still had another 10mins before their wave started and started getting cold again.

Don't lose they layers until the start line is well in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So a little 3 miler just knocked out there.. all sorted for Monday i think. the friends and family know where to see me and I'm feeling good..
    looking forward to a walk around the expo tomorrow!

Seems to be a lot of people doing their runs at MP. Is this intentional or are you going faster than you intended?

I went for 3 miles myself, stuck at easy pace(9:34) though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I did my 4 mile commute and walked the dog.
    Might try those 2 miles tomorrow.
    Don't forget to charge all garmin etc!

Advertisement