Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of people doing their runs at MP. Is this intentional or are you going faster than you intended?

I went for 3 miles myself, stuck at easy pace(9:34) though.

Keeping steady myself only mp when the plan called for it. Tonight's was at 9:46.. although through the training my easy pace has picked up from when I started!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of people doing their runs at MP. Is this intentional or are you going faster than you intended?

I went for 3 miles myself, stuck at easy pace(9:34) though.

Not for me - just went with a pace I felt comfortable with, and it ended up being close to MP... I'm taking that as a good sign for my pace of choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sorry to gatecrash, but have we still got a group for a few easy miles in the PP at 6pm tomorrow?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Sorry to gatecrash, but have we still got a group for a few easy miles in the PP at 6pm tomorrow?

I won't make it anyway, keeping tomorrow as a rest day I think. Still debating the 5k on sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

aquinn wrote: »
    I did my 4 mile commute and walked the dog.
    Might try those 2 miles tomorrow.
    Don't forget to charge all garmin etc!

good advice, and delete history too just in case memory gets full during race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm hoping to be ok for it but it may be a very small group :pac:

I'm hoping to be ok for it but it may be a very small group :pac:

So we have two at least. I think Tigerandahalf is up for it too from what I remember, but trying to find anything in this thread is difficult.
    40-50 pages in a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I can't find my notes, what day did Ososlo say we had to shave our legs?

Toenail Tuesday, Shavedleg Saturday! It's a new marathon tradition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

annapr wrote: »

Love it! Can we insert Waxing Wednesday in there too for the razor-shy?!

annapr wrote: »
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Love it! Can we insert Waxing Wednesday in there too for the razor-shy?!

Spaghetti Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

So we have two at least. I think Tigerandahalf is up for it too from what I remember, but trying to find anything in this thread is difficult.
    40-50 pages in a week!

Hi guys, I would have love to join u in the PP for the run,but I am only getting over a flu and my physio advised me to only do 1-2k on Sunday morning to save energy.
    Also my chainsaw is broken, so it wouldn't be the same crack without it....
    :-) Have a good one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So, in the 18 week training program, I've 888.8 miles so far.

it's such a pretty number I may leave it at that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

I'll head along if I get out of the Expo in time. Where you meeting up?

skittles11 wrote: »
    I'll head along if I get out of the Expo in time. Where you meeting up?

Haven't decided an exact meeting point yet. Let's say at the first roundabout on Chesterfield Avenue after you come in the main gate (from Parkgate Street)?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

aquinn wrote: »
    What bus to get there.
    BIB!
    Gel pack
    Pace bands
    Pondering calf sleeves but have never tried them, will see.
    Had to write it down in case I completely forget why I am there.

if you buy the calf sleeves do not wear them. Plenty of posts advising not to do anything new before or during the race. This applies to the holy trinity of eat, drink and wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Ososlo wrote: »
    Also, taking painkillers at 20 miles will likely make you throw up on top of gels etc. Be very careful. I've heard of people passing blood in urine after doing this.

I would advise against that also. if you have a headache you are dehydrated. if you have a sore knee maybe you should stop? if you have a blister just get on with it. The pill option will potentially make you sick and stress your system. NSAIDs are not a good idea at any time and worse again when your body is working under stress. They put pressure on your kidneys, liver and other organs. If you are very worried about a knee or something like that I think the neurofen gel would be a "less bad" idea. try and bring a small bit of that in cling film or something if you feel you might need it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Seems as a few are posting pics, this is myself in the Clontarf half back in the summer.

30sc8z6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Weather starting to look a little better for you on Monday..... Still a little warm but looks like the wind will drop tomorrow and you may even escape the rain, meno will be happier!

Good luck to everybody on Monday.
    Enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

So heading to the expo today, its a while since I went to the RDS what bus number would I need to get from O O'Connell Street?

• Advertisement

Darren 83 wrote: »
    So heading to the expo today, its a while since I went to the RDS what bus number would I need to get from O O'Connell Street?

4 or 7 will drop you right outside.
    They both stop on O'Connell Bridge afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

4 or 7 will drop you right outside.
    They both stop on O'Connell Bridge afaik

Cheers yaboya

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Will showing them the confirmation email on the phone do, or will I need to print it out..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Dub13 wrote: »
    Will showing them the confirmation email on the phone do, or will I need to print it out..?

I think you've to print the attachment as there's something about signing it I think

Have a lovely restful day all and anyone heading to the Expo - enjoy!
    Anyone doing a couple of miles today, remember recovery pace only or slower. Conserve all the energy you can for Monday. Remember to eat a little more carbohydrate today with your meals. An extra bagel as a snack, a larger portion of pasta, rice etc with your dinner. Plenty of water but not to excess.
    Chill out later with a good movie and put the feet up. Let the special person in your life do all the house work and mind the kids, dogs, etc ;)
    Pop your bib number on the spreadsheet if you wish so we can track you Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Yay, parkrun PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

No turning back now. Quiet enough still at the expo

Yay, parkrun PB!

Shouldn't you be at home shaving those legs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Ososlo wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be at home shaving those legs ;)

Just wanted to see if you'd spit you coffee over the computer!

• Advertisement

Posted by Eoin Ryan over on main DCM thread. Have a good read. Brilliant! I had myself winning the race by the end of it:D

Few people talking about nerves before the Marathon. Lotta good advice out
    there. Hopefully I can add to it.
    I might have put this up sooner but
    sure....rolleyes.png
    There are 3 P's to remember when you might have the jitters
    leading up to the Marathon. Nerves EAT energy so be
    1) Prepared 2) Patient
    3) Picture.
    Firstly Prepared. There is enough information out there about
    how the race roles. Read it.... and have your journey & equipment ready.
    Being prepared means you are self reliant and in control.
    Second Patient.
    Many struggle with this 'taper week' as you will be running very little. Make a
    plan NOW for the week to fill the time with something that has nothing to do
    with running. Something that will take you out of 'state' as we say in the
    coaching world. Buy a really good book (not on running) - ideally you should be
    relaxing. An idle mind gives you thinking time about running BUT you can use
    this to your advantage (keep reading).
    Lastly for nerves Picture. When
    running you are going to be taking in information Visually, Auditory and
    Kinesthetically for the most part. For visual people: close your eyes and
    imagine crossing the finish line looking through your own eyes. Imagine the
    crowd cheering you (auditory) and how great you will feel (kinesthetically). Let
    this be your only thought when it comes to the race (nothing negative). To help
    you override any strong negative stuff make this visual image bigger, brighter,
    the noise and cheering louder. Keep doing this until you feel the tingle of
    excitement in your body growing & growing. Feel like you have done it -
    visualise, hear and feel your triumph!! Do this over and over + OVER again. Add
    more stuff like family cheering you on. Make it movie size. No limits.....!!
    Some people are not visual so print off a picture of someone finishing the race
    and put a picture of you there in their place. Put this on your fridge or
    somewhere visible with a mantra like 'I will finish strong' above it (make up
    your own). Or put in your target time in the clocks (bit of cropping and pasting
    but it can be done).
    The whole point is to make it as real as possible -
    like it is a foregone conclusion that you will finish strong. That is me
    finishing!! The power is in repetition... Many might be repeating the negative
    stuff. You have mastered that skill by now... so why not change the channel to
    the Positive.
    Keep the good energy flowing and you'll do great.
    If you
    follow the above you may enjoy the event all the more.
    Best of luck smile.png

Advertisement