Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

A brilliant read.

Excited now as on my way to the expo and covered in tiger balm as it helped ease out calves with bath and stretching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

yaboya1 wrote: »
    So we have two at least. I think Tigerandahalf is up for it too from what I remember, but trying to find anything in this thread is difficult.
    40-50 pages in a week!

Ya 6pm at phoenix park gate near heuston.

Haven't decided an exact meeting point yet. Let's say at the first roundabout on Chesterfield Avenue after you come in the main gate (from Parkgate Street)?

Just saw this. No bother. See ye then folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ya 6pm at phoenix park gate near heuston.

So myself, yourself, Pacing Mule & skittles11 so far.
    Anyone else?

Anyone else?

Where and how much of a run will we do? You know the area fairly well P?

• Advertisement

Where and how much of a run will we do? You know the area fairly well P?

We can make up the route as we go along. I know the park pretty well, so I'll lead the way if you like? Anything between 3-5 miles suits me fine. I'm going to throw a few strides in at the end myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Expo done, didn't hang around too long, not much to interest me there to be honest except getting my number and picking up a pace band.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Expo done, didn't hang around too long, not much to interest me there to be honest except getting my number and picking up a pace band.

What are the pace bands like Adrian? Are they laminated and are they just for the 10 minute intervals?
    I have my own one done up from marathonguide.com and I laminated it with lots of sellotape to protect from sweat and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

FYI expo busy now, queue outside Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

MLC_biker wrote: »
    FYI expo busy now, queue outside Hall.

Yup....I'm in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Queue is massive still outside

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Still in 2 minds about if I should go for a easy run tomorrow, resting today and have 32k done this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dub13 wrote: »
    Still in 2 minds about if I should go for a easy run tomorrow, resting today and have 32k done this week.

It's not going to make any difference really either way. I did 2 miles last year on the Sunday and just did it at almost walking pace. It certainly didn't make my legs any way tired for the next day. It was more for my head than anything! And to check my outfit one more time. See how you feel about it in the morning. You could always go for a walk either.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Ososlo wrote: »
    Have a lovely restful day all and anyone heading to the Expo - enjoy!

Just wanted to say thanks and best of luck to everyone (especially Ososlo). I've been reading all the posts over the last few weeks. This is an incredibly motivating and inspirational thread. The advice and support handed out here has been phenomenal.

I'm really looking forward to it now. Happy running everyone on Monday!

PS is it possible to change waves at the expo? I've just copped on that the 3.50 pacers will be at the front of Wave 2, not the back of Wave 1!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Minor question about the gels... The ones I've been using have worked grand for me, but I only saw there was a caffeine variant recently (after the peak of the long runs).

Am tempted to get one to use towards the end as a booster... am I running the risk of it disagreeing with me?

I know these gels are fine on my system, and caffeine is too, but not sure if it's still a risk regardless!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just leaving the exp (1:50pm), mad busy and the queue outside and inside is huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tester46 wrote: »
    PS is it possible to change waves at the expo? I've just copped on that the 3.50 pacers will be at the front of Wave 2, not the back of Wave 1!

There is no problem moving back a wave on the morning, the only issue is moving up waves...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Decided to do this on Friday and have only ever run as far as 10k before. Can someone please give me advice on what to hell to do with my nipples and if I should get body glide ? Also nutrition wise i plan on running with no pockets and picking up stuff on the stations as I go , is this advisable as I see a lot of post by people mentioning they are brining gels ?

Decided to do this on Friday and have only ever run as far as 10k before. Can someone please give me advice on what to hell to do with my nipples and if I should get body glide ? Also nutrition wise i plan on running with no pockets and picking up stuff on the stations as I go , is this advisable as I see a lot of post by people mentioning they are brining gels ?
    How did you get an entry if you only decided Friday to do it?
    I don't know if you're having a laugh but if you're serious then start reading from post 1 and you'll find all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Home from the expo. It was manic when we were leaving but queues moving quickly. Got a nice towel in the goodie bag. Excited now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Decided to do this on Friday and have only ever run as far as 10k before.

You're joking right?

flogen wrote: »
    Minor question about the gels... The ones I've been using have worked grand for me, but I only saw there was a caffeine variant recently (after the peak of the long runs).

Am tempted to get one to use towards the end as a booster... am I running the risk of it disagreeing with me?

I know these gels are fine on my system, and caffeine is too, but not sure if it's still a risk regardless!!

no I'd stick to what you were using all along. Too risky imo. You don't know how your body is going react taking something new running at mp at 20 miles so I wouldn't take chances with anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

martyoo wrote: »
    You're joking right?

Nope !! I've trained for triathlons so hoping that will see me through. Can't be that hard right ?? :/:/

martyoo wrote: »
    You're joking right?

If it's a joke then I don't think it's great timing. Novices need to stay focused now and we don't need the distraction 2 days before the race.

If it's serious then there's very little I or anyone else can do to help someone in this position at this point except advise them not to do it or to walk it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

If the furthest you've run up to now is 10k your nipples will be the least of your worries on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of luck to all the novices on monday. I have been following this thread with interest and I am a little envious I'm not there with you this year but realistically I didn't have the base work to do it. Hopefully that will not be the case next year all going well.

Enjoy the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Nope !! I've trained for triathlons so hoping that will see me through. Can't be that hard right ?? :/:/

OK well best of luck so.

For the nipples a lot of people recommend putting a small plaster covering each of them and that usually works.

On your other question regarding holding gels I'd recommend using a water belt which usually has space for holding gels. There will be gels at the various stations throughout the route but it's advisable to only use gels that you have taken before as some of them could cause an upset stomach which is the last thing you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Anyone else?

Sorry lads. I'm not well enough to run this evening. Came home sick from work too so not going to risk making it worse at this stage. :(

Hopefully see you on Monday

Sorry lads. I'm not well enough to run this evening. Came home sick from work too so not going to risk making it worse at this stage. :(

Hopefully see you on Monday

Get well soon. See you in the pub ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What are the pace bands like Adrian? Are they laminated and are they just for the 10 minute intervals?
    I have my own one done up from marathonguide.com and I laminated it with lots of sellotape to protect from sweat and rain.

They are ok, they are every 10 mins. There is a sticky bit on the back to seal it onto your arm but it is just paper, so you would need to sellotape it.

I have my own printed out and covered in sellotape so I'll use that.

Didn't realise AMK was at the pacer stand, would have stopped to say hello. The guy i was talking to is pacing 3:50 which was is what I'm running.

Advertisement