Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is there a pub/hotel close to Heuston showing sports Sky and BT. I am staying in the Ashling but they have no sports here. Surprised given it is a 4 star hotel. Stayed here a good few times before and thought they had it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ryans on parkgate street I'm sure will have it. Any pub really would have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Get well soon. See you in the pub ;)

Will hit McGrattans on Monday whether I run or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Meant to say, heard and saw killian chatting to the girl doing MC. You came across very well Killian. Would have waited to say hello but she didn't want to let you go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Will hit McGrattans on Monday whether I run or not.

You saying there's a chance you won't be able to run? :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Ososlo wrote: »
    no I'd stick to what you were using all along. Too risky imo. You don't know how your body is going react taking something new running at mp at 20 miles so I wouldn't take chances with anything new.

Yeah, I figured as much. Will stick with what I know. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You saying there's a chance you won't be able to run? :(

Afraid so. Stubbornly focusing on running it anyway but starting to consider the non stubborn withdrawal. Giving myself every chance with home remedies, chemist and doctor remedies and not being stupid and running this evening remedy ;) But honestly if I feel as bad as I did this morning on Monday I will have to bow out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Afraid so. Stubbornly focusing on running it anyway but starting to consider the non stubborn withdrawal. Giving myself every chance with home remedies, chemist and doctor remedies and not being stupid and running this evening remedy ;) But honestly if I feel as bad as I did this morning on Monday I will have to bow out.

Im really sorry to hear that PM, that really sucks. Keeping taking as many home remedies as possible, when I was sick last week I took enough Vitamin C to sink a ship but it def seemed to do the trick, the ones that dissolve in water, and a good spoon of manuka honey with lemsip cool and flu every few hours, and a few hot baths. Im not a praying lady but will be sending as many positive vibes as possible your way! Keep us posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Nope !! I've trained for triathlons so hoping that will see me through. Can't be that hard right ?? :/:/

I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard that last sentence been uttered before an epic fail.

Enjoy your legs this weekend. They won't feel the same for another month with this approach to marathon training. This will be a train wreck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Joleigh wrote: »
    Meant to say, heard and saw killian chatting to the girl doing MC. You came across very well Killian. Would have waited to say hello but she didn't want to let you go :)

Oh, thank you! I think Joanne was glad to have someone to chat to in order to fill time - I could tell she was running out of material and to be fair, theres nothing Im better at than talking about myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

But honestly if I feel as bad as I did this morning on Monday I will have to bow out.

Hot bath one hour before going to bed for an early night. Really helps you sleep, and sleep is key to recovery. You've two nights left, so that could be enough to shift it, fingers crossed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hope you can make it PM. Plenty of sleep could work wonders.
    One thing I haven't liked about the marathon and its prep so far is that you could put an excellent block of training together and on the day it may not happen due to a small cold or a simple small injury. I was running during the week and nearly twisted my ankle on what I presume was a conker on the running path.
    You need a lot to go right.
    Before I came up today I had a list made out of everything I needed to take and was ticking it off and double checking to make sure. Just forgetting something like vaseline and you would be in trouble. Speaking of the v word would I be ok putting it on about an hour before the race or will it have dried too much? Normally I would just put it on before I go out. Think I will be layering it on before the race. Have had no issue with nipples or feet so far. I wear the double layered 1000 mile socks and they give good protection.

Tester46 wrote: »
    Hot bath one hour before going to bed for an early night. Really helps you sleep, and sleep is key to recovery. You've two nights left, so that could be enough to shift it, fingers crossed...

I'd be careful when taking a hot bath the night before a race. It can really dehydrate you.

If you do. Make sure to drink fluids after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Pm1e wrote: »
    Loving that headband, go on ya good thing.

If it's good enough for Rocky.... :D

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Corrib man

Just a short note to wish everyone all the very best for monday, enjoy what is a very special day in our city. Best of luck to all and remember to embrace the support and let them help you along when things get tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

I'd be careful when taking a hot bath the night before a race. It can really dehydrate you.

If you do. Make sure to drink fluids after.

...and during... Remember the 3 Bs - Bath, Book and Bottle (water...)

If you're not in the bath too long, it shouldn't dehydrate you too much. The idea is to raise your body temperature in the bath. As you cool back down over the next several hours, your body releases a particular chemical which helps you sleep. It's not foolproof, but fingers crossed it helps you get better in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Quick one for anyone that's has been to the expo? Is there a stand selling high 5 iso gels? They are my gel of choice and of course I went to buy some today and the shop didn't have any!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Walked by the pacers stand twice. They were very giddy. Took my mind off things for a while anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

yeah they have them alright...

Quick one for anyone that's has been to the expo? Is there a stand selling high 5 iso gels? They are my gel of choice and of course I went to buy some today and the shop didn't have any!

Haven't been to the expo but I'm a 100% sure there will be high 5 stand there as they are the official gel of the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Last year there was a high 5 stand and could sample all the flavors and types [ ISO , Caffeine , normal ]

Best of luck everybody ! Enjoy the experience !
    Sadly I'll be back on the supporter side this year but will yell my lungs out to encourage you all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Just drove by the 3 mile & 5k signs on the quays. Getting very real now!
    Although they have the wrong date on the course route warning sign on Parkgate Street :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Sorry lads. I'm not well enough to run this evening. Came home sick from work too so not going to risk making it worse at this stage. :(

Hopefully see you on Monday

Don't think I'm as sick as you but feel like in getting a cold so sitting tight tonight. Have done very little running this week but feeling bursts of confidance through the nervousness!! Hopefully I'll see a few of you in the pub. What sort of time will people start arriving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Just drove by the 3 mile & 5k signs on the quays. Getting very real now!
    Although they have the wrong date on the course route warning sign on Parkgate Street :P

I passed that very sign this morning on my way home from the expo - took a pic of it, stomach did major flip, didn't see any signs going thro the park tho. Luckily did the expo early, queues were mental when I was leaving!

two more sleeps!!!

Ps pacing mule really hope you're well enough to run on Monday fingers & toes crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Haven't been to the expo but I'm a 100% sure there will be high 5 stand there as they are the official gel of the marathon.

25 Isogels for €17. They even replaced a few of them with caffeine gels when I asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Well I am now off the computer until after the race so good luck all.

I've been looking up a few Sports Motivation quotes to hopefully remember when the going gets tough.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sports+motivation&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=A7JLVLLELIjbapmzgPAE&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=989

Hopefully it will inspire when called upon!

skittles11 wrote: »
    25 Isogels for €17. They even replaced a few of them with caffeine gels when I asked.

Hope the best before date is a long way off as you won't want to look at gels after tomorrow for a LONG LONG TIME!!!

skittles11 wrote: »
    Don't think I'm as sick as you but feel like in getting a cold so sitting tight tonight. Have done very little running this week but feeling bursts of confidance through the nervousness!! Hopefully I'll see a few of you in the pub. What sort of time will people start arriving?

Sean Puddin/Maggot Brain suggested 3pm in the pub as a time for people to meet up. Around the pool table in McGrattan's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Hope the best before date is a long way off as you won't want to look at gels after tomorrow for a LONG LONG TIME!!!
    Well Monday anyway. You'll be getting people confused:eek:

• Advertisement

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Well Monday anyway. You'll be getting people confused:eek:

OH NO SORRY:o:o:o
    It must be the old sympathy taper madness getting to me!!!

Advertisement